New Beer Sunday (Week 751)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cjgiant, Jul 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (4,667) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

I think I'll give a brief pause to line of questioning I've been doing in the openings to these NBS threads. I have another topic that only most recently became of interest and I want to bring into this thread that promotes the new.

Yes, for the 751st week we want to hear about that new beer you are trying today - its good and bad qualities. We don't enforce sticking to the categories of look, smell, taste, and feel - though those are often a good place to start. This thread is for exploring the aspects of a beer as you encounter it for the first time (maybe excluding things like a quick sample taste at the brewery). Give us a little window into your thoughts and experience.

Escaping the new for a second, this week I saw a phenomenon that many of us don't see too often as the US beer community has grown to 7,000+ breweries: a local brewery shutting its doors. I know of a few higher profile closings, but this one hit close to home, literally.

I know I've mentioned in a couple other threads that Mad Fox in Falls Church will be closing its doors for good next Sunday. Mad Fox is (for now) a brewpub and they never packaged their beers. Basically you buy their beers to drink on premise (though they do fill growlers). One of the reasons they gave as to their demise is that they opened having to use the "brewpub model" and had to compete on food and beer, both of which have seen more entries into the local scene in recent years.

Memories are funny; while I knew Mad Fox was an early entrant onto the local craft beer scene in Northern Virginia, I didn't realize it was really one of the forerunners of the most recent boom (opening in 2010). While we visited Mad Fox through the years, by no stretch of the imagination were we regulars. I admit that I had to "grow into" appreciating their lineup of more classic English and German beers (they did make other styles, including classic American and English IPAs). I will miss the opportunity to further my enjoyment of those beers at Mad Fox. Another thing many, including myself, liked and will miss is that they offered cask versions of their beers regularly.

So, for a yin and yang sort of question you can answer (no obligation) along with or in addition to your thoughtful review post of a new beer (obligatory): have you had a local brewery close since you've been into the "craft beer" scene? Has it been one you will miss? Is there a local brewer you maybe neglect a little because "they'll always be around" for you when you eventually get the notion to visit?

Okay, enough of the side show. It's time to offer up your new beer. If it's a good one, hopefully it'll be available to you for a good long time. Cheers!

#1 cjgiant, Jul 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  2. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (31,193) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Moderator Society Trader

Good morning NBS, hope everyone is enjoying the end of the weekend once again. Should be a nice day up here. Kind of been running low on review beers myself. ICYMI I quit smoking last week, and haven't dipped in over 2 weeks since I started smoking more. I got a vaporizer mod kit on Wednesday and smoked my last cigarette the same day. Haven't looked back since. Way more enjoyable and I can do it in my apartment. Anyways, hoping to get a nice beer haul today when I take my bottles back to return.

Beer:

Another Bruery review for this morning. 5/2015 bottling. Poor head retention/no lacing as expected. This was awesome. Aromas and flavors of big caramel, brown sugar, cocoa, vanilla, toffee, marshmallow, bourbon, toasted oak, hazelnuts, and brown bread; with lighter notes of coconut, molasses, fudge, raisin, prune, fig, date, leather, tobacco, oak char, peppercorn, and yeast earthiness. Increasing booze in the aromas, but not overwhelming. Light herbal, grassy, roasted bitterness; and bourbon/oak tannin spiciness on the finish. Light-medium carbonation and very full body; very creamy, silky, velvety malts; lightly slick, sticky, tannic in the mouthfeel. Lightly increasing lingering bitter/tannic dryness; no cloying sweetness. Smooth sipping, mild increasing warmth of 16.8%, minimal lingering barrel booze. Awesome balance between super rich malts, vanilla, cocoa, hazelnuts, and bourbon barrel presence/integration; with mild earthy hops and restrained fruity yeast. Not overly sweet/heavy from lingering dryness. I was expecting a bit more out of this, but it got better as it got to room temperature. 4.1
    [​IMG]

Cheers

3. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Poo-Bah (2,069) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I started using Beer Advocate 6.5 years ago as a way to track and learn about new beers. It’s interesting to me to see how breweries have grown and thrived in this micro-brew explosion. The variety of styles and the quality of the selections have noticeably increased.

I can remember first walking into the Maine Beer Company several years ago. A nice little shoebox of a tap room, tight with coolers, some taps and a few tables. Had the good fortune to be invited to the Reny’s Department Store 70th Anniversary celebration ( great family owned chain in Maine) and stopped by MBC. I kept reading on their tap list that they had Dinner in bottles. A top rated beer on BA(#33 overall) and in Maine (#1). I gotta go back!

Parking lot is still the same but the entrance is on the side and downstairs. Big, airy, fresh, clean neat. Taps, dining, pizza, ...a very nice upgrade. And, coolers of beer, including the much sought after Dinner.

[​IMG]

Dinner by Maine Beer Company

4.6/5 rDev -0.6%
    look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into a teku glass

Hazy orange liquid , small streams of carbonation, two finger off white , rocky, foamy big bubbled cap, good retention ,settles after five minutes to rocky islands and a solid layer . Nice creamy head on the second pour

Aroma is citrus , tangerine, orange

Taste is citrus , tangerine, orange

Hop taste, medium sudsing, hop taste nibbles and lingers nicely in the back of the mouth

Great beer , repeatable

4. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,577) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Morning all, will be back inna bit with a new beer to help beat the heat. So dry here there is nary a fungus anywhere in the woods so what better way to not pick shrooms than with a beer in hand?

5. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (4,184) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

Good morning, and thanks for the intro, @cjgiant !

First off, to answer the question: yes, and it was shocking. Red Cypress is (or was) located in the greater Orlando area. While not world-class, they had some very solid offerings (of the four beers of theirs I reviewed, three fell in the 3.9-3.95 range, the other 4.21, so .... that's pretty darn good!).

Back in May, they suddenly announced that they would be closing at the end of the month, and thanked people for their support. No further explanation was given at the time (I'm sure more has come out since then, but I personally do not know the whole story).

Just a huge surprise, given that none of us up here had ever heard that they were having problems in any way. Just one day, poof, gone.

OK, second point of order this fine day: this is a special New Beer Sunday for me, personally.

We sandwich delivery drivers are very proud of our vehicles. Whenever possible, work starts at the vehicle number; we try to stop stopwatches on the exact number of seconds and hundredths of a second of the vehicle number; etc. We're an obsessive group.

I've had the great fortune of working with six different delivery crews and five different vehicles, so I've got a few vehicle numbers to work with, but 751 is one of my most recent, and probably the one about which I am still most proud. Some damn tough deliveries and a lot of drive time, to some pretty sketchy neighborhoods where "my kind" might not be appreciated. That simple three digit number matters a lot to me.

I wish I had a special beer worth cracking to commensurate this (admittedly completely mundane) occasion. Maybe I do. Probably not. I'll have to decide that later on.

Enough about that; I've said more than enough. Those who know what I'm talking about, do, and those that don't, don't worry about it - it's a seeeeeecret (and not a well-kept one, but that's my fault). :grinning:

Third and final point: I have a long distance run (loooooong) to knock out before I join you all today, so I won't be back until the afternoon at the earliest (and I'm going to miss the Wimbledon final, which has me bummed a little). Thankfully, I do have some new-to-me IPAs a friend bombed me with last Thursday, and I anticipate knocking them back today. So I look forward to catching up on the thread later.

Cheers, friends!

zid, 2beerdogs, jrc1093 and 27 others like this.
  6. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,872) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Mornin' NBSers.

Not expecting to have the time for any new beers this week. We've family arriving from Europe today and need to finish getting the house ready for guests before we pick them up at Philly airport. May be able to peek in once in a while to read about some new beers I'll want to try.

Cheers, all!

MacMalt, JayWhitson, Roguer and 9 others like this.
  7. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,043) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

My recent road trip vacation

I have been away for the past 2+ weeks on a whirlwind tour of the North American northeast. I spent 4 days in Providence, RI attending HomebrewCon (National Homebrewers Conference), Nova Scotia (Cape Breton Island & Halifax), New Brunswick (Saint John) and Portland, ME. Other than HomebrewCon the principle purpose was vacation – sightseeing stuff but needless to say there was plenty of beer exploration/drinking going on. A vacation twofer!

The beer I have today is from Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia. Frankly I had low expectation of the beer scene in this northern most area of Nova Scotia (and I was happy I had some of my homebrewed beers in the trunk leftover from HomebrewCon) but to my surprise and delight there was indeed plenty of good beer to drink there!

There is a bit of a backstory about today’s beer:

My wife and I went for a sailboat trip one day on an absolutely picture perfect day on Bras d’Or Lake and afterwards we were a bit parched so a quick trip afterwards to Big Spruce brewery was in order. We were very pleased when we pulled in to see the bucolic location of this brewery. Below are some photographs my wife took during our visit:

[​IMG]

A view of the outdoor bar area

[​IMG]

They have Adirondack chairs overlooking Bras d’Or Lake

[​IMG]

The hop yard

At the outdoor bar I ordered a flight (four small pours) while my wife ordered a pint of their Pilsner. All of the beers were very good – excellent! Needless to say but I ordered more beer afterwards and I very much enjoyed drinking those as well. As we were enjoying the wonderful outdoor atmosphere and beers I started chatting with someone who happened to be one of the brewers. His name is Matt Wanamaker and I made mention I was from the Philly area and that the Wanamaker name is famous due to the large Department store of Wanamaker’s (which is now defunct). He replied that he is part of the family that started this store (and subsequent chain of stores). I even mentioned the Philly store was famous from an older movie and before I could finish he answered “The movie Mannequin”. Well I had such a good time it turns out I forgot my Phillies cap of “World Series 2008 Champions” and I was quite bummed about that but there is good news:

The next day we were in the area and I went to Big Spruce (again) to see if somebody turned in my cap and to my great joy it was there. I then asked if there was any chance if we could take a tour of the brewery and Matt generously spent part of the lunch hour with us showing us the heritage brewery (less than 10 barrels) and their newer, expanded second brewery just down the street. A wonderful tour and Matt patiently and freely responded to my numerous brewing questions. My wife and I had a great time! I even had a chance to chat with the owner (Jeremy White) for 10-15 minutes and he generously provided for me today’s beer: Big Spruce Hundred Cape Breton Wild Ale.

The Big Spruce brewery is surrounded by White Spruce trees so I asked Jeremy if they ever produced a Spruce Ale. He responded that the local trees (White Spruce) do not make ‘good’ beer but that he once brewed up a Spruce Ale using Black Spruce tips which he sourced from a nearby area but he was not too thrilled with how that batch turned out. I regret that I did not have any of my homebrewed beers with me (they were back in the motel); I would like to have given Jeremy and Matt some bottles of my homebrewed Spruce Ale using tips from my neighbors Blue Spruce tree which I think produces a lovely beer.

On the back of the can:

“BIG SPRUCE BREWING is Atlantic Canada’s first organic, on farm craft brewery and hop yard. We craft unfiltered, unpasteurized, unbelievably good beer.

ONE HUNDRED is the first beer ever brewed with 100% Nova Scotian ingredients: barley and rye from Horton Ridge Malt Co., our hops, our water and a wild yeast that we harvested off a pin cherry that grew on our farm. Floral and spicy, this ale resembles the white beers of Belgium, Sláinte!”

On the bottom of the can is a date of 21/12/18 which I presume means this beer was canned on December, 12, 2018.

Well, this is enough jibber-jabber. Time to drink some beer!

Served in my Tripel Karmeliet tulip glass:

Appearance:

Golden colored with a BIG white head.

Aroma:

A bright fruity aroma with a bit of bready malt in the background.

Taste:

Wow! The flavor is notably different from the nose. It is dominated by spicy (phenols) flavors with the fruity flavors playing ‘second fiddle’. In the background the malt backbone is subtle.

Mouthfeel:

Medium bodied with an off-dry finish.

Overall:

I think this beer is very good. The fact that the aroma and the flavor is noticeably different makes this an intriguing beer.

Kudos to Big Spruce for solely brewing a beer with solely local ingredients (especially the yeast*) and having the resulting beer work so well together. This beer is ‘magical’!

@KOP_Beer_OUtlet @rotsaruch @RobH @brianhink @CapeMayBrewCo

*There are lots of wild yeast out there that will ferment wort but finding a wild yeast that actually produces a tasty beer is a rare find.

[​IMG]

jvgoor3786, jrc1093, CurtisD and 39 others like this.
  8. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (3,577) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Good morning New BSers! It's starting off to be a beautiful day here in NW PA - just about time to get the snowblower ready for this year's romp. @cjgiant, thanks for starting today's thread. You pose an interesting question. We had a "local" brewpub that opened in a town about 20 miles away - here in "the Wilds" that's pretty close. They opened back around 2005 - when Mrs. Lizard and I heard about it we became semi-regulars, heading there every couple of months for dinner and a couple of beers. The food was decent and the beer was generally OK but nothing spectacular. Then one day it was closed. Word was the owners had moved "south", a popular past-time here in NW PA. Eventually it re-opened under a new name, new ownership, and allegedly the same brewer. The food menu was different and the beers were generally different - my favorite was gone but those I didn't like remained. After a few years, there was a fire in the building they shared with other tenants and they closed due to smoke and water damage. After a couple of years of drawn-out repairs, they reopened. I never got back there before they closed this summer. My son tells me they have reopened under new ownership and a new name. I personally don't think they'll last using the same business model - instead of incurring the high costs of maintaining the restaurant, just brew and sell beer until their brand becomes popular enough to carry the food portion of the business. Until then, just serve bar food or utilize food trucks.

Today's NBS New Breakfast Beer:

Received from @jdell15 in NBS BIF #9. Reviewed 7/14/19. Thanks Jacob!
    Dated “Best By 25/APR/2019” on bottom of the 12 oz can. Stored at 42 degrees and served at 54 degrees in a hand washed and dried Jester King snifter.
    Appearance – 3.75.
    First pour – Amber, clear.
    Body – amber, murky, opaque. When held to the light, translucent.
    Head – Large (Maximum 4.5 cm, aggressive center pour), tan with a marked yellow cast, medium density, average retention. Diminishes to a three mm crown and a thin, rocky, large island.
    Lacing – Poor - a few small islands of tiny bubbles only.
    Aroma – 4 – Sweet malt and dark fruit, more raisin than date.
    Flavor – 4.25 - Flavor begins with more subdued malt than the nose would lead one to expect. This is followed by a hint of rotting fruit sourness, some date-fig sorbet, and some isoamyl acetate at the finish. No hops, no alcohol flavor or aroma (6.3 % ABV), no dimethylsulfide, no diacetyl.
    Palate – 4 – Medium, almost syrupy, soft carbonation.
    Impression and interpretation – 4 – Pleasing take on a Belgian Strong Dark Ale.
    Rating 4.09,rDev -1.7%.

jvgoor3786, jrc1093, MNAle and 35 others like this.
  9. woodychandler

woodychandler Poo-Bah (9,265) Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Happy New "CAN We Visit the Cape & Drink Some Beer, Aunt May?!?" Sunday (Week 751)!
    As you may remember from previous NBSs & WBAYDNs, I am mostly homebound following surgery ~ 3.5 weeks ago. This time provided me the impetus to finally redd up the backlog of beer here at Chez Woody, the bulk of it in CANs. What I did was to take every CAN out of any carboard six-pack carrier in which it was lurking & put it into one of the new 96% PCR six-pack rings for easier identification. At the same time, I was looking to build brewery horizontals (same brewery, different/differing beers) for ocCANsions such as today as well as weekday exCANsions. Today marks a HIGHLY successful such exCANvation that will begin shortly.

We have been fairly fortunate here in Lancaster City & County, PA as far as retaining our breweries & brewpubs. I covered the PA beat for Ale Street News for ~ a decade, so I was & remain hip to what was opening & closing. Zuckfoltzfus BC in Mount Joy is the only one that comes immediately to mind, but they never really got well-established & then there were rumors of dissent between ownership & customers & then they were gone. 8=(

Enough of this maudlin stuff, let's have a beer! I immediately got bogged down with my first of the day, which was:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/25890/96616/?ba=woodychandler#review
    [​IMG]
    I'll be back with more … stuff!
    @CapeMayBrewCo

Ozzylizard, jrc1093, MNAle and 32 others like this.
  10. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,229) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

Rich gold color with white cap and lacing.

Aroma of ripe watermelon and that's about it. Nice aroma though, fresh, bracing and zippy.

Taste is surprisingly sharp at first, due in part to the sea salt I expect, followed by a richness of watermelon flavor. This is a difficult flavor to capture as anyone who's tried to make Watermelon Daiquiris can attest. Founders pulls it off here providing a sweet salty watermelon flavor resting on a simple grain base.

Light to medium texture with balancing carbonation.

I expect this will be pleasing to those who like the Gose style.

Ozzylizard, MNAle, MacMalt and 26 others like this.
  11. ONUMello

ONUMello Poo-Bah (2,481) Feb 24, 2009 Ohio
    Society Trader

Good morning NBS!
    I can think of two Cleveland breweries whose doors have closed since I’ve been here, though many more have opened. First is Indigo Imp whose beers were quite hit or miss. The other is Portside, which was both a brewery and a distillery. Their beers didn’t necessarily have the best reputation locally but I found myself there fairly often, especially for the unique fruits they often used in their beers. Their rum was pretty good too.

Today I offer another from a very recurrent brewery for me here, but they keep coming out with new and good beer.

[​IMG]

16.9oz bottle poured into a tulip
    A: Straw colored, hazy, no head
    S: Grape must, green apple, lemon
    T: Quite sour, green apple, lemon, vinegar, green grape, just a bit of malt/tropical fruit
    M: Light body, sour, light carbonation
    O: An enjoyable sour, overall 3.99 from me with the head being the only thing below 4. Just above its average

Cheers!

cjgiant, Ozzylizard, jrc1093 and 30 others like this.
  12. zid

zid Meyvn (1,296) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

Three Floyds Dreadnaught

Today is going to have a slight Three Floyds theme for me. This is one I’ve wanted to try.

This beer is hazy but luminous, and a light copper / orange. It’s a lighter SRM than expected. Orange marmalade aroma. The taste is overwhelmingly dominated by hops. They are just so potent here that it’s amazing. Flavors of apricot, mango and orange are crushed by an unforgiving resinous bitterness. There is a structure that’s provided by the alcohol and malt though. Letting it warm to room temp brings out the orange marmalade in the aroma. It’s extreme, novel (but old-school), and delicious... and the label has a way of putting a spell on you. Really enjoyed this one.

@FBarber

cjgiant, Junior, Ozzylizard and 34 others like this.
  13. zid

Society Trader

[​IMG]

Lion Bridge - Compensation / Workman's Compensation

This is a primer for my next Three Floyds beer, but that doesn't mean I'm not giving this one the same attention. It's a two time gold medal winner at GABF in the English mild category. I can never resist a "mild." This one is 4.7% ABV if the BeerAdvocate listing is still accurate. It's cloudy and very dark brown. It's watery (that's not a negative) and dry. Tastes of light cocoa and lightly roasted nuts. It's gentle and delicious. ABV might be a bit dangerous. This is a little gem.

Ozzylizard, jrc1093, MNAle and 25 others like this.
  14. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,151) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Trader

Thanks @cjgiant for the great start to this weeks NBS.

Cheers!

JayWhitson and TongoRad like this.
  15. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (3,177) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia

[​IMG]

A-Pours a dirty brown color with a slight head and lacing
    A-Aroma has coffee hints
    T-The taste follows the nose with a generous coffee flavor
    M-A light bodied well carbonated beer
    O-A good coffee porter

ps-I am going to miss Orange Whip IPA from soon to close Mad Fox Brewpub.
    Not going to really miss SehKraft Brewery which closed about a year ago and was in the Clarendon area of Arlington, and was run by the Westover Beer Garden folks.

#14 VABA, Jul 14, 2019
    MNAle, kemoarps, MacMalt and 27 others like this.
  16. AyatollahGold

AyatollahGold Meyvn (1,156) Nov 28, 2016 Indiana
    Trader

First up today, I will be enjoying one from @CanConPhilly and it will be my first from a brewery I have heard a lot about.

Beer: Sleeping Forever (2019 Version, blended with Apple Brandy barrel aged)
    Brewery: The Veil (Richmond, VA)
    ABV: 12%
    [​IMG]
    Pouring from a 16 oz. can into a PAA Dino tasting glass, this beer pours out with a thick blackness. Even on a full pour, it doesn’t muster up enough carbonation to form a crown, however it does manage to make a few deep, dark caramel bubbles around the edge. Minimal highlights; very slight ring around top edge. Moving it around in the glass, it leaves a brown film on the glass as it settles.

The nose carries in a sort of Apple Jacks cereal presence right off the bat to me with the way the apple brandy and grains are mixing. It then very quickly turns to a boozy warmness tangling with roasty grains, and huge chocolate layers; chocolate pudding, slightly bitter bakers chocolate, brownie mix. I would guess this at higher than 12%, not because the booze, but because the amount of grain showing in it. It’s almost like touring a brewery with a glass of apple brandy in your hand.

The taste follows the nose well. The first thing I notice is a grain hit. Cereal like along with roasty, dark grains before showing a touch of the apple brandy and then traveling into the layers of sweetness, made of burnt brown sugar, peanut butter and the different layers of chocolate (pudding, bitter bakers chocolate, brownie mix).

The mouthfeel is thick and full. Syrupy feeling that coats the mouth. Ever so slight warming sensation; really nice, offers a touch without being too much.

Overall, this is a 12% monster and not in a bad way. Those grains really are a nice show case while still letting other aspects show and not ever seeming too boozy for what it is. I can’t believe they got the grains to show case like this at only 12%.

Thanks Matt and cheers NBS!

Can’t wait to see what you bring to the share!

17. VABA

[​IMG]

A-Pours a hazy straw color with a nice head and lacing
    A-Aroma has tropical and citrus hints
    T-The taste follows the nose with a nice tropical and citrus flavor
    M-A medium bodied well carbonated beer
    O-A good DIPA

ps-for those keeping score and using complex mathematical algorithms on my beer drinking (you know who you are :wink: ) , the last beer was mostly a prain dour! :grinning:

18. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (2,046) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Good morning NBS and thanks @cjgiant for the start today. This is day 3 of the Green River Festival, lots of music, people and beverages. Always a good time to explore new (to me) bands.
    Todays offering is from Lawson's Finest Scrag Mountain pilsner is perfect on this mid 80's degree morning here in WMass.

Cheers all

Scrag Mountain Pils

Lawson's Finest Liquids
    Bohemian Pilsener / 4.80% ABV

4.03/5 rDev +1% | Score: 3.99
    look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 oz can dated 5/13/19 into the test glass
    A - Excellent clarity, allows for the viewing of tireless carbonation in action. A loose knit white froth is quick to exit. All this occurring on a straw yellow canvas.
    S - A bit of fresh cut grass and lemon verbena, ride atop a fine thread of pilsner malts.
    T - A narrow group of semi sweet grain, some cracker, a touch of herbal hops (Herzbrucker maybe).
    M - Lite and crisp, excellent balance, with a tight dry finish
    O - A very good offering from a talented brewer, excellent feel and flavors.

Ozzylizard, TheDoctor, MNAle and 31 others like this.
  19. zid

Society Trader

[​IMG]

Three Floyds - Pride & Joy 3000

This review will mainly be about "style." Three Floyds calls this a mild. The fine print calls it their "interpretation of an American mild." One can assume that this is probably an updated recipe of their regular Pride & Joy... or perhaps it's just the same beer with a new name. Both beers are classified as APAs rather than pale milds on BeerAdvocate.. and that's definitely the way they drink. This beer tastes of pineapple and has a big bitter finish. It's light bodied. This feels like the little, little brother of Dreadnaught. As if Three Floyds got married too young, had a kid named Dreadnaught, got divorced, re-married, and had another kid named Pride & Joy. It just so happens that the baby brother looks like the monster from This Island Earth working as an evil butcher. Bring down the ABV of this one a bit and they might have the best "American session IPA" around.

It's funny having this right after the Compensation mild. That beer is a perfect example of the type of beer that a homebrewer would make after reading some set-in-stone style guide. Pride & Joy is a perfect example of an American craft brewer doing whatever the heck they want in the name of change. Milds are the kind of things that have changed a lot over the years in the land that birthed them. This one basically drinks as an APA going by a different name.

[​IMG]

20. VABA

[​IMG]

A-Pours a dark color with a slight head and lacing
    A-Aroma has malt hints
    T-The taste follows the nose with a light malt flavor
    M-A light bodied lightly carbonated beer
    O-A decent lager

ps-mostly prain dour! :grinning:

21. NotAlcoholicJustAHobby

NotAlcoholicJustAHobby Meyvn (1,007) Jun 13, 2015 Vermont

To answer the question posed, it had been a while since I'd heard of a local brewer closing their doors. That was until this spring when less than 2 year old Dog River Brewing closed it's door due to rising costs (rent, ingredients, etc..) and a flat revenue stream put a quick end to the geographically closest to me brewery. My wife and I went there once and were rather unimpressed, not bad mind you, but not noteworthy either. Bottom line is that you'd better be very good straight out of the gate or provide something the already established giants of the state don't already provide.

NBS Beer #1

[​IMG]

Pineapple Space Cake

Clown Shoes
    American IPA / 7.70% ABV

3.79/5 rDev -4.8% | Score: 3.98
    look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

canned 04/29/19

L-The beer pours a reasonably clear golden amber with a 3 finger off white head. The head recedes to a thick film leaving patchy lacing behind.
    S- The nose is heavy up front with the beer's considerable malt presence. Behind that there is a lesser amount of sweet pineapple. Rounding out the nose is a bit of alcohol which is fairly consistent with my experience with regular Space Cake.
    T- The taste rather than being layered, comes at you mixing the malt and pineapple. The hop bitterness rides underneath these flavors and takes over at the back half of the mid palate.
    F- Mouthfeel over all is a solid medium. The bitterness provides a touch of dryness to the finish. Carbonation is on the lower side of medium.
    O- A decent DIPA with a slight variation on the original. The pineapple is pretty subtle, but definitely there. All in all though this one seems to just average overall and my memories of regular space cake are generally more positive than this one. Worth a shot for the tickers, but I'd stick with the non adjunct version for regular drinking.

22. LeRose

LeRose Meyvn (1,375) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society

Ok, lets do the vacation update first. The grandson went home from Bridgton, ME yesterday. We had a great week with him. Since they live in our house, its hard to be grandparents. Well, this week we were. He went from standing ankle deep in the pond to "me swim over there"...meaning headed to the neighbor's dock fifty feet away. Thought he was quick on the ground...double quick in water. But he knew the rules...no going on the dock without one of us or without his life jacket. Caught a couple of sunfish, went out in the canoe, ate an entire bowl of soft serve ice cream all by himself. Took me until Wednesday to realize I could put him in the little kayak and float him around - somewhere he came up with the idea he was a "good pirate...me happy in boat".

So we are now on to lovely Liberty, ME on Cargill pond. We caught seven species of fish on Long Lake including two bass that probably should have been keepers. Last evening, we just casted off of the two docks on the property and pulled in eight large mouth bass. Warm but windy here today, so no canoe or kayak yet, but if we can catch them from the docks, this is gonna be one lazy vacation!

To the question of the day, living in a rural area there is only one really local brewery. They bought a defunct home oil business building and are creating a taproom with food. Big enough that I expect brewing will move there, but he isn't calling it a brewpub... In the immediate area, seems like more are opening and expanding versus closing. There have not been any near to me closings that I can remember. Ah...Bucket went under last year but were replaced by Smug pretty quickly and Smug is doing well in the same tough location. There are quite a few more that have opened within a 20 mile radius, so we will see what shakes. I don't see how they can all survive, regardless of beer quality.

Will be back with a new beer this evening. We will be hitting up Lake St. George Brewing at some point and probably The Pour Farm, which looks interesting. Tonight will likely risk another one from Barreled Souls...hopefully no pennies used in brewing.

23. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (6,959) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Hey what's going on?!

Been a fun but hot weekend, lots of sunshine... and deer eating my garden.

Finally had enough and put up some netting. Sure enough found there presence from last night but the netting did it's job. Not to worry there's enough food for everyone.

My hop vine is also going bananas, and growing into my cherry tree. Oh well.. see you in August.

Till then there is always beer.

What's new for our hero today?

Poured from the can into a nonic pint glass. To IPA or not to IPA? That is the question…

Simple opaque body of dull yellow, and nearly gray with a solid appearance. Flirts with turbidity but not quite getting there. Big fistful reaching bight white head with excellent retention. Creamy fluffy top and lots of soapy lacing.

Real nice subtle aroma. Hints a floral to tropical note that has this wonderful mellow perfume scent to it. Flirts with a light pineapple but more exotic into papaya and maybe even mango. Wonderful juicy sensation coming off as well.

Palate goes more towards basic. Subtle good flavors of pineapple and a touch of actual grass on first sip. Simple bodied and neutral mouthfeel and presence making for easy drinking. Hop forward but not entirely, as it's a bit more subtle on repeated sips. Flavors mold more toward tropical but then get a bit earthy particularly on the finish and possibly some juicy orange.

Pretty nice solid brew. Definitely feels more in the pale ale vein but a good hop forward one.

look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Cheers!

24. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Meyvn (1,199) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey

Dogfish head world wide stout
    ..solid black with a thin light long lasting tan head
    .. just above average body with a slight oily feel. Light medium carbonation which seemed a little high for the style but still overall had a decent feel
    ...aroma is roasted malt, molasses, earthy,pear, black coffee, bitter dry espresso sweet bourbon
    ...taste is bourbon candy,molasses, dark fruit, black coffee, earthy,peat
    ..overall it was an excellent beer, alcohol was really hidden well,especially considering how high it is[​IMG]

25. Chaz

Chaz Poo-Bah (2,060) Feb 3, 2002 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Surly Nokken.

[​IMG]

“Dry-hopped Scandinavian-style farmhouse ale aged on birchwood with honey added.”

[​IMG]

Very good! Will have to get a fresh can and do a proper review.

grantcty, Ozzylizard, MNAle and 21 others like this.
  26. woodychandler

woodychandler Poo-Bah (9,265) Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Happy New "CAN We Visit the Cape & Drink Some Beer, Aunt May?!?" Sunday (Week 751), Part Deux!
    July, for me, is usually the saddest month. My late-Pops went into a steep decline with his last hurrah being able to attend his childhood friend's annual 4th of July picnic. He did not look well that day & on Sa, 07 July 2001 he was admitted to Lancaster General Hospital (LGH) & he passed three weeks to the day on Sa, 28 July while I was attending the State College Brewfest. I think that he knew the end was near & did not want me on-hand to witness it. 8=(

He was an avid bicyclist & a founding member of the Lancaster Bicycle Club (LBC), back in the very-early 1970s. He frequented the Trexlertown Velodrome & even followed the Tour de France twice, bringing his bike over on an organized tour to follow behind the peloton! He passed before the travesty of Lance Armstrong & fellow-Pennsylvanian Floyd Landis brought shame to the event. I scattered some of his ashes at Trexlertown & at both the Arc de Triomphe & the Eiffel Tower so that he could be present for the finish of the tour each year. I still watch the TdeF each year in his honor.

Too maudlin? He was a joker & loved to make puns & recount stories. One of the annual club rides was from Lancaster to Cape May, NJ, followed by several sag wagons, a stay at a B&B or such in Cape May, and then a ride across the bay on the Lewes ferry & then either a bike or car ride home. One of the classic stories was of Neil Xxxx, a hairy, hippie-type with a long beard, who was unable to make the ride over & down so he drove & checked in on his own. The story has his wife, Eileen & several club members bursting in on him, as he languored in a bubble bath (!), to inform him that their reservation did NOT begin there until the following day & that they were housed at a nearby motel! Apparently, it was quite the sight. At Pops' funeral, his brother-in-law, my Uncle Steve, remarked "There is no need to feel sad about Jack's passing since there are too many humorous stories to keep us laughing in perpetuity."

I usually feel sad in July, especially as the 28th nears, but not this year. Having been diagnosed with Stage 1 Prostate CANcer (ironically) & had a prostatectomy to CANbat it (the proof of its efficacy will come on M, 29 July following a blood test on M, 22 July), I have faced my mortality as did he. He was 68 y/o, his brother was 59 y/o when he passed of a heart attack while training for an Iron Man triathlon (!) & I keep telling cousin Colby of Ballast Point BC that recent history does not bode well for us.

What does bode well for all of us is the prevalence of CANned craft beer! Cape May is JUST starting to make landfall in Lancaster in terms of their distro, but I frequently get to PHL & its environs, which are ripe with CMBC beers in CANs. Up next is the answer to "Are you ready for another CANned beer, Bro. Woody?":
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/25890/319553/?ba=woodychandler#review
    [​IMG]
    I was feeling unfulfilled so I moved on to something seasonally apropos:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/25890/237666/?ba=woodychandler#review
    [​IMG]
    but I still was not where I wanted to be. 8=( Next up:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/25890/71147/?ba=woodychandler#review
    [​IMG]
    Break time! I need to CANtact the brewery. I'll be back with more … stuff!
    @CapeMayBrewCo

27. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (259) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I am a huge fan of this beer and there's another pack in my fridge that I am sure will be gone soon too.

AyatollahGold likes this.
  28. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (1,862) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Afternoon, NBS. Spent the day so far watching this great Wimbledon final which is at 7-7 in the fifth set as I write this review. World class tennis. While I won’t be upset with the outcome I am rooting for King Roger.

The Rare Barrel - Small Acts

Grisette-Style Beer Aged in Oak Barrels

Look: This beer pours a hazy, translucent, pale straw color. A lively beer, with many streams of tiny bubbles rising to the surface. A bone white head that disappears with no lacing. A lot of sediment pours from the bottle.

Smell: Pear, honeydew, peach, grassy, herbal, crackery, hay. The yeast presence is delicate, but complex, with soft phenolic, fruity, floral, barnyard notes all playing together.

Taste: Slightly tart, dry and tannic on the palate. Upfront notes of peach juice, peach skin, lemon zest, lemon juice acidity and watered down white vinegar. Some saison earth and spice.

Feel: Moderately carbonated, light on the palate and defined by a dry, tannic feel. A standout aspect of this beer.

Overall: A moderately tart and acidic saison that is pleasant to drink. It’s a mild beer with the aroma and feel really standing out.

4.09/5 rDev +0.5%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25

overall: 4

29. beerloserLI

beerloserLI Meyvn (1,106) Apr 2, 2011 New York
    Society Trader

Happy Sunday NBS players. A rather perfect summer day here on the island- warm and sunny with a light breeze and low humidity. A nice lazy day with some possible beach action this afternoon. Watching the Men's finals now and will be of course watching/listening to Mets bball for some unknown reason. I have two new beers today but we'll see if I actually get to them both.

Have yet to see a brewery close here but its' bound to happen just based on simple statistics. In fact two of the founding breweries in my area- Greenport Harbor, and Long Ireland- are actually celebrating their 10 year anniversaries. There continues to be plenty of growth too with a bunch of newbies opening up and more slated to open doors over the next year. To the point that I'm actually slacking behind on visiting them all.

My first new beer today is from one of the newer breweries in my area. Although about the only think I've liked from them is their physical location in my former town's old fire house. This is Sticky Bandit, a nesipa, from North Fork Brewing. It featured locally farmed hops- magnum, cascade, chinook, and el dorado. The brew checks in at 6.9% abv, and displays no canning date.

A cloudy yellow color with amber highlights and a sustained ring of foamy white bubbles. Light citrus on the nose and not very potent. The first few sips hit with a rush of hops upfront. Rather bitter for the style with light/muddled notes of the citrus fruit. I mostly get flavors of lemon, lime, orange, and grapefruit. Decently bitter on the finish, as well, with notes of pine and resin. A moderate mouth feel that drinks dry and crisp. No lingering sweetness at all and some definite white wine notes too.

Overall, this isn't half bad. Not you're prototypical nesipa but I really like how bitter it comes across while still remaining crisp and very drinkable. The ba score is pretty over-rated by homers at the moment but I'm probably gonna score it in the mid 3's/4 range.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. Reef

Reef Zealot (591) Dec 2, 2016 South Carolina
    Society

I am enjoying these vacation tales as I labor to get ready to take two weeks off. My new beer comes from Roanoke, Virginia, near where I was raised. The amount of good beer being produced there comes as a pleasant surprise to me. The unanimous recommendation for Parkway Brewing was their Baltic porter, Raven's Roost. It is named for a Blue Ridge Parkway overlook near Wintergreen resort.
    [​IMG]
    I agree with the hive mind here. Strong, long lasting head, inviting toasty coffee and chocolate aroma, slight hop bitterness and dark hop roast. Easy drinking. I'll be picking more of this up in my next trip to Virginia.
    4.24/5 rDev +7.9%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

31. NotAlcoholicJustAHobby

NotAlcoholicJustAHobby Meyvn (1,007) Jun 13, 2015 Vermont

NBS beer #2

[​IMG]

Sunhat

Clown Shoes
    Belgian IPA / 7.00% ABV

3.92/5 rDev +0.8% | Score: 3.89
    look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

canned 05-20-19

L-The beer pours a slightly hazy yellow with a large 3 finger head. The head recedes to a thick film which clings high on the sides of the glass. Moderate lacing is present around the glass.
    S-The nose is a mix of citrus, pine, and yeastiness of moderate intensity.
    T-On the palate the beer is much closer to NEIPA than to Belgian IPA. The most prominent flavor is the citrus presence in the nose. The yeast is very mild on the palate and only glimpses present themselves. The pine is also much more restrained here leaving the pleasant citrus to linger on the back end.
    F-Mouthfeel overall is medium. Carbonation is light. The finish is more wet than dry.
    O- I'm not the biggest Belgian IPA fan so the light yeastiness was a pleasant surprise. Belgian IPA fans will find this one quite tame. Recommended for those like me who want to try the style, but not be bludgeoned with phenols.

32. VABA

[​IMG]

A-Pours a dark color with a very generous head and lacing
    A-Aroma has nice fruity and spice hints
    T-Taste follows the nose with a fruity and spice flavor
    M-A medium bodied decently carbonated beer
    O-A good Belgian Strong Dark Ale

33. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (895) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

At Twin Elephant Brewing, Spindle an American IPA This beer is both hoppy and hazy. It pours a hazy gold with a thick white head. The aroma is complex various fruits and little malt. The grain bill for Spindle is malted oats, crystal oats, white wheat and blended pale malts. The hops used are El Dorado, Idaho Gem and. Citra. The taste is also complex and powerful. Fruits and grains dance around and nothing stands out. The mouthfeel is soft but full. The finish is dry. This beer is 6.9 ABV. Overall a very enjoyable brew on a warm and sunny afternoon.
    A brewery named Demented closed recently in North Central NJ . It opened about 5 years ago and the beer was not much good. After a bit the owner hired a brewer (from Carton) and the beer became much better. The owner however seem to alway being in disputes with the ABC and the bars in Midlesex. It turned out that their were a number of financial problems also. The place is GWTW.

#32 dennis3951, Jul 14, 2019
  34. Lingenbrau

Lingenbrau Poo-Bah (3,275) Apr 9, 2011 Oregon

Good morning and happy New Blonde Sunday, BAs. To answer @cjgiant 's inquiries; Yes. Three well established breweries have closed in my local area this year alone: BridgePort, Burnside, and Alameda. Burnside being the "newest" at 9+ years. Sad to see them go, and I will miss beers like Black Bear XX, Hop Czar, Old Knucklehead, and Ebenezer, but unfortunately they have become lack luster according to the insatiable "What's new?" connoisseur. As there are an insane amount of breweries in Portland and the surrounding areas, I don't worry too much about what's coming and going. I'm sure a surprise will come here and there, but the support from each neighborhood to their local establishments still seem quite devoted.

Alrighty. What else. Got back from vacation last Tuesday. Had to cut it short which was a bummer as it was just plain gorgeous:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Been a busy week since. Completed a very nerve wracking task at work this week, which was a huge weight off my shoulders. No more losing sleep on that one. Crazy weekend too, with a work picnic, concert, and Street Festival yesterday, kiddo-sitting this morning, and tons of housework to do.

Now that my inner Craig has once again surfaced, it's time for a new beer.

Block 15
    Wandelpad- Belgian Style Blonde Ale

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A beautiful copper tinted yellowy orange body with a touch of chilled haze. The off white memory foam pillow on top slowly descends, leaving a more coarse surface coverage and a respectable amount of spotty lacing. It looks proper, inviting, and refreshing. (4.5)

Everything you'd want from a Belgian Blonde escapes from the glasses surface: pepper, dusty grain, dried grass, a pinch of clove, and a drop of honey. Once again, this is hitting all the marks promising for a thirst quenching experience. (4.5)

Wildflower honey takes first notice but is quickly replaced by rustic flavors of toasty dried bread crusts, hay, dirt, and bitter citrus peels. With each sip, lemon and orange seem to develop more and more. The finish is peppery, spicy, yeasty. (4.0)

Perhaps a tad more bitter than expected, but that is fine by me. I think a little more sweetness might be more aligned with the style, but as is, this is a refreshing beer. Just enough sweetness to carry into an extremely dry and nicely bittered finish. (4.25)

I'd say this is a good Belgian Blonde. Great actually, but it does kind of cross into the Saison spectrum a bit. Ultimately, it's a refreshing beer hailing from a less often explored style, so hard to knock it much. (4.25)

I seem to like this beer much more than my predecessors. Granted, it's not a popular style, and credit to those who actually reviewed it giving it much higher marks than the "tickers". I gave Wandelpad a rating of 4.23 with an rDev of +14.6%

Cheers!

35. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (1,862) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Stoneface Brewing Company RIS

Barrel-aged Russian Imperial Stout

Look: This Stout pours an opaque, pitch black color. A thick head of light brown foam that settles to a ring around the edge of the glass, leaving strands of lacing in its wake. No visible carbonation. A great looking stout.

Smell: A nice stout nose, but rather subtle. The first thing I pick up is a bit vegetal like fresh pumpkin. The bourbon barrel treatment is evident with notes of heavily toasted coconut, some vanilla and a woody note. Milk chocolate and a soft nutmeg spicyness. Some heat from the ABV.

Taste: Up front the beer is semi-sweet and smooth with some milk chocolate The finish dries out a little bit. It’s long with prominent woody, nutty, toasty, moderately bitter flavors.

Mouthfeel: Low carbonation and velvety smooth.

Overall: This beer is really nice. It’s not the biggest and boldest BBA RIS I’ve had. But, the bitter and toasty finish to the beer is really nice and something I really enjoy in this style.

Thank you to @jhavs for the chance to try this new brewery!

3.97/5 rDev -8.3%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 |

overall: 4

36. cjgiant

Society

Good afternoon, NBS. My new beer is a collage of classics, apparently. Sierra Nevada Bigfoot is a bold American Barleywine that is generally well respected for its ability to hold up to some aging. I am not a huge fan of fresh Bigfoot, and am still experimenting with how much I like it aged. I definitely liked "plain ol'" Bourbon Barrel Aged Bigfoot more than I did the non-BA version, but happened to note that I thought even it could use a little aging.

Today's beer has (sort of/not really) solved that for me by being a blend of barrel-aged Bigfoot. Trip in the Woods Vintage Bigfoot indicates that it is a blend of 1, 2, and 3 year barrel-aged Bigfoot. I assume that the beer spent those years in the barrel versus "in the cellar" as I am aging my Bigfoots.
    [​IMG]

So the label says the "hop bitterness mellows considerably, allowing the malt character to shine." I would appreciate this, but I also hope the hops didn't mellow too much for while I tend to enjoy English Barleywines more, it would lose its Bigfoot-edness, as it were. Let's find out...

Pours the amber brown of a typical barleywine, with a light chestnut shine at the very edges when held to the light. The lightly rusty tan head built up a little more on one of my two pours and sat upon that pour as I started my typical novella of a post.

The nose is more mellow than expected, with the barrel coming out a little more than the base beer. Vanilla and a light bourbon smoke join the earthy/toasty malt base. Strains of barrel wood and pitted fruits (dark cherry and plum) sneak through as well.

Not as thick as I expected, there is a medium heavy weight to it though. There is a bit more carbonation than I expected which helped to lighten things just a tad. The alcohol (be it the beer itself or the effects of the spirit) throws a little burn in back before the beer finishes fairly dry.

The malt profile up front is great, with a caramel sweetness along with medium toast. The vanilla from the barrel feeds a very light sweetness at this point. But the turn comes up fast, and the earthy, tea-like piney hops take the wheel. Underneath I get a little plum, berry, and root spice. This spice is somewhat reminiscent of some spicy rye beers I've had. In the end, the malt flavors mostly wash away, leaving pine and a little bourbon sting.

Well, definitely shouldn't have worried about losing the hops completely here, they still played a pretty big role in this beer. They didn't come in the nose (except maybe contributing to the earthy note), but the fact that this was a Bigfoot was thrust on my palate by the middle of each taste. Despite this "attack," the beer was nice and smooth, and the bitterness was more mellow than a regular Bigfoot. I appreciate this take on the classic, though I still prefer my barleywines to showcase the malt a bit more.

37. VABA

[​IMG]

A-Pours a semi hazy amber color with a slight head and lacing
    A-Aroma has lemongrass and malt hints
    T-Taste follows the nose with a lemongrass and malt flavor
    M-A light bodied decently carbonated beer
    O-A decent Belgian Saison

38. cjgiant

Society

Nice to see another review of this beer. I agree with (and probably was a part of) the hive mind. I was also a fan of the raspberry variant.

Reef likes this.
  39. Lingenbrau

Lingenbrau Poo-Bah (3,275) Apr 9, 2011 Oregon

Any pics of those Sunfish? I've had the pleasure once or twice. Ugly as sin but so friggin cool! First time we caught one I thought is was a bag floating around the surface.

AyatollahGold likes this.
  40. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (4,184) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

Well, today has not gone entirely as planned. I quit on my run, clocking "only" 13.3 miles (still the 3rd longest run of my life), and I was destroyed mentally by the end. Does not bode well for my upcoming marathon, but it's not supposed to be fun. (It's not.)

Still, today is a day for celebrating, one way or another. It's New Beer Sunday; it's #751; I still knocked out a long run; and the men's Wimbledon finals was absolutely epic. I always root for Federer, but as my grandfather came here from Serbia, Djokovic winning the championship is still pretty awesome.

Today's first new beer is Galaxy Juice by Fieldwork, a NE-style IPA clocking in at 6.6% and highlighting Galaxy hops (my favorite!), although it's unclear if this is a single-hop beer.

[​IMG]

My review really tells the whole story, so here I'll point out the few things keeping this beer from an even higher rating.

-Minor (VERY minor) particulate. This is a fabulous looking beer for the style, but it could be even better.
    -Nose is tremendous, but a little one-dimensional almost. Missing a bit of the depth you would be able to get by pairing Galaxy with, say, Citra or Mosaic.
    -Galaxy isn't a particularly dank hop, but there's a touch, and here that pungent dankness, paired with the pale malt expression, creates a slightly earthy, buttery, sweat-like flavor that lurks in the background (very similar to Sip of Sunshine and Captain's Daughter, to be honest). This beer is wonderfully juicy on the palate, but that lingers as an undesirable aspect, if not quite an "off" flavor.
    -Crazy, tremendous presentation on the palate. Marries a pillowy and full body - at only 6.6%! - with a ton of lively sting. Just a touch too much sting, actually, preventing me from savoring the beer quite as long as I'd like, and the only thing keeping the mouthfeel category away from a perfect 5.0.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/38745/223092/?ba=Roguer#review
    4.28 / -1.4%

Since I brought those two beers up (CD and SOS), I may as well compare and contrast here. Obviously, the hop load is different, as are the ABVs (6.6% versus 8.5% versus 8%, respectively). Remarkably similar malt expression, though, and the mouthfeel is shockingly good: you'd be hard-pressed in a blind taste test to not think this is a NE-style Imperial IPA (reminds me of Proclamation's single-hop APA Derivative series, too, come to think of it).

And how does it stack up ratings-wise? 4.28 for Galaxy Juice; 4.18, CD; 4.31, SOS; and 4.18 for Derivative: Galaxy (I clock in with a minor -rDev for every one of those, incidentally). I'd say that's pretty damn good company.

Cheers!

41. VABA

Great nature pics!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.