New Beer Sunday (Week 771)

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by cjgiant, Dec 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VABA

VABA Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,131) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society

[​IMG]

A-Pours a vibrant orange golden color with a slight head and lacing
    A-Aroma has citrus and tropical hunts
    T-The taste follows the nose with a nice citrus and tropical flavor
    M-A medium bodied well carbonated beer
    O-A good NEIPA

2. VABA

Pooh-Bah Society

It was really good!

Premo88 and Shanex like this.
  3. Tucquan

Tucquan Grand Pooh-Bah (3,092) Oct 11, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Had a fine time at Thanksgiving with the family. Lots of laughs, good food and top-shelf beers including Sucaba and CBS.

I only bought one item on Black Friday, which was the latest Chromecast (3rd gen) device since my 1st Gen from 2013 will no longer be getting major updates. It cost $25.

Speaking of black, today's new beer for me is:

Black Magic Stout by Empire Brewing Company - my overall rating = 3.71

[​IMG]

Had this near Pittsburgh, PA from a 12oz bottle with no date (believed to be from 2019)

A - Almost opaque brown with a 1-finger tan head from an aggressive pour as recommended on the bottle due to the nitrogen.
    S - Semi-sweet chocolate, dates, mild roasted grain. Mild.
    T - Well-toasted brown bread with a lightly burnt crust (char) with a thin spread of Nutella. Earthy spice. Finishes dry with lingering roasted bitterness.
    M - Light-medium body and light nitrogenation.
    O - It's a tasty example of an Irish Dry Stout with plenty of flavor for this 4.8% brew. Would have this again.

4. Tucquan

Tucquan Grand Pooh-Bah (3,092) Oct 11, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Glad to know that Surly has made it to PA. I'll have to check the Pittsburgh area. I've been a fan of Surly for many years and have visited their old brewery. I travel to the midwest a lot and often drink Surly. BTW, their Helles (Surly Hell) is quite good.

5. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,186) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

We've been getting Brew Pipeline in Little Rock. It's a great program. I also was lucky enough to get a couple Surly beers out of the deal. We also have a couple beers from DuClaw here now.

6. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,561) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Oh, crap! I did have a sample on tap, but I thought I added it to the database. I guess I didn't.
    Sorry about that. Might be making it back there in the near future - weather permitting.

Now, I guess you all know I have a bad habit - I like to taste great beers.

Now is this from Bad Habit Brewing good?

[​IMG]

From Russia With Love - Bottle # 132 10% ABV. 58 IBU.

I also gave a bottle of this to @GreenBayBA , so he can also get some central Minnesota love.

So how is this beer?

Lot more hops than I was expecting. It's good, but a bit of a curve ball from the norms of the style. It's damn good, and my love of Bad Habit continues.

Review:

4.02/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

2019 release. Bottle 132.

Pours pitch black. Less than a 1 finger dark brown head. Head retention isn't the best, but for the style, and ABV, not bad. No lacing on the glass, but the head dissipates to a brown ring around the glass, with an island of foam from it. Reminds me of the Florida Keys.
    The nose - I get a decent amount of caramel on it. Some chocolate notes.
    Taste - I get a decent hop profile from this. Caramel, chocolate, vanilla are the other profiles. I saw the IBU #, but I was surprised with the amount of hops in this beer. It's good, but a lot more hops than I'd expect from the style.
    Fairly thick, though I would expect a bit more from the style. No alcohol burn. Smooth feeling.
    Damn tasty RIS from Bad Habit Brewing.

I'll see if I can do another beer after this.

7. SABERG

SABERG Grand Pooh-Bah (4,777) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

Good afternoon NBS and thanks @cjgiant for the start today.
    We support the local businesses as a year round effort, My sweetheart made a few stops yesterday, things need to sent to our son in Taiwan so that was the focus.
    As for releases, there were 2 in the area, Amherst Brewing Co with the holiday stout, and a surprise in house tasting only Brett based offering from Brick and Feather.

Along those lines today's NBS is from Plan Bee, the Barn beer is quite a nice treat. think of not to tart lemon pie, and that about nails it for me. The mixed cs and hops all work is gentle, grain and hops, in excellent balance.

Cheers all

Barn Beer

Plan Bee Farm Brewery
    American Wild Ale | 5.5% ABV

4.16/5 rDev -0.7% | Average: 4.19
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured from an undated 375 ml bottle into the test glass.
    A - Excellent clarity, pineapple colored backdrop. Carbonation wanders with out any hurry top side. A thin ring of white clings to the glass wall.
    S - Lemon drops, Loire valley White wine, musty basement funk is gently present, a bit of wet oak adds a nice touch.
    T - Tart lemon pie, add some nice mineral, chalk , green grape skin, mixed culture so a wild touch on the palate.
    M - Smooth feel, with windows of tart opening and closing around a semi sweet base. Carbonation is so mild that the offering is riding a little flat. This is actually a nice balance against the tart center.
    O - A very good wild ale, not weighted in any one camp, the grains are robust enough to hang with the mixed culture, hops are earthy, adding a nice touch. Well done and worth seeking out

https://i.imgur.com/bvkaX3f.jpg

8. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Grand Pooh-Bah (4,679) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Great lakes blackout stout
    ..light carbonation with a thick,slick, creamy feel
    .. aroma is wood,earthy,sweet licorice, charred roasted malts,molasses, sweet malt
    ...taste is char and bitterness towards the end and lingers. Sweet malt,licorice, earthy wood
    ..overall this was a great surprise, really enjoyed this one. Usually not a fan of licorice but this was incorporated in a nice way and the other flavors are so strong and bold that the licorice doesnt dominate[​IMG]

9. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Grand Pooh-Bah (4,878) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Damn I'm good! :stuck_out_tongue: Sending beers I've never even had.

Lingenbrau, ovaltine, EMH73 and 3 others like this.
  10. nc41

nc41 Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I’ve always liked Furious, I bet by the time I get home all this stuff is gone. I never seem to catch the intermittent drops and not being a local there’s zero contacts to pull strings. That and I’m only there like 3 days and out, and I mainly chase food more so than beer.

11. 2beerdogs

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Donut spares SUCK! Insurance Companies SUCK EVEN MORE! Sorry.

12. ovaltine

ovaltine Grand Pooh-Bah (5,911) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Years back (the 2010's), Surly referenced using a Scottish malt on Furious cans, and that malt was what separated Furious from many of the citrusy, piney IPA's that were so ubiquitous in that period. I'd be interested to know if the malt bill changed, because the last time I purchased a Furious 4-pack (spring of 2018), the can didn't reference a Scottish malt.

Thanks for the side-by-side. Celebration and Furious are two of my favorite IPA's, and your post opened my eyes - those two beers really are similar, especially the use of the malt to augment the hop flavors.

13. bbtkd

bbtkd Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,326) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) Quad, 10.2% ABV. Pours dark brown with a hand of foamy beige head that left only slight lacing. Nose is caramel, bread, brown sugar, and malt. Taste follows, slightly sweet, almost no bitterness. Outstanding mouthfeel, overall world-class.

4.69/5 rDev +0.6%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Having a few new beers, and watching the Packers.

[​IMG]

14. 2beerdogs

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Copy Cat!

nc41 and Victory_Sabre1973 like this.
  15. VABA

Pooh-Bah Society

[​IMG]

A-Pours a vibrant orange golden color with a slight head and lacing
    A-Aroma has citrus and tropical hunts
    T-The taste follows the nose with a nice citrus and tropical flavor
    M-A medium bodied well carbonated beer
    O-A good NEIPA

16. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Grand Pooh-Bah (5,891) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

My Black Friday was a thirteen hour drive from Lancaster, California to Las Cruces, New Mexico. We've done it often enough that it's not too bad. This particular trip started off poorly. Lancaster (and the surrounding area) got 4-6 inches of snow on Thanksgiving. My daughter said it was a rare event. Snow there is rare enough that there is no snow removing equipment. This made the first 50 miles of the trip very difficult, and it took us over two hours to drive those 50 miles. The Highway Patrol seemed to be quite busy, with more cars off the road than I could count.
    Phoenix is the halfway point on the trip, and we have made it a point to stop and have a nice meal before heading out again. Friday we stopped at The Attic for lunch. They had four Bourbon County beers on tap, and I enjoyed a flight (my wife was taking over the driving for the rest of the trip), and I brought a few bottles home. One of them was Café De Olla and, not being very patient, I decided to drink it today.
    In a snifter the beer was black with just the hint of a head.
    Aroma, in no particular order, revealed coffee, chocolate, orange, vanilla, and cinnamon.
    Chocolate and coffee up front on the taste, then some orange and vanilla, with some warming cinnamon at the end. There was a bit of bourbon there also.
    Thick and rich. I've been sipping this for a couple hours, and probably have a couple hours to go.

[​IMG]

Lingenbrau, Txex06, SABERG and 26 others like this.
  17. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Grand Pooh-Bah (3,422) Mar 7, 2013 Canada (QC)
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Hidey-ho, NBSites!
    Welcome to December, everybody and I hope you all truly enjoyed your thanksgiving(s) and got to hang out and eat and drink with friends and family. Pretty nice here today, sunny and chilly. I got errands done yesterday to be ready for today since this afternoon we are going to an "Canadian American Thanksgiving" whatever that is, with a friend of my wife. I am trepidatious at best but excited, I guess. Thanksgiving is without a doubt the single holiday I miss the most living outside of the US. To make matters worse, it is hard to just arbitrarily celebrate as an expat since it occurs on a random-ass weekday and a lot of it is dependant on ingredients being available in stores at the same time specifically for people celebrating Thanksgiving. All that to say, I've only been able to celebrate twice in the last ten years. God that's depressing... Anyway, well see what tonight's like. I am just considering it an arbitrary dinner with a bunch of random people I've never met. Sounds fun! Haha

For my beer I am going to dip into some cans of IPA I got yesterday. Noctem Artisans Brasseurs is a newer brewery up in Quebec City and they make some nice beers from what I have tried. The majority seem to be IPAs, but they are all pretty well-made and enjoyable. They also are all cat themed and have cool/weird labels. This one is a collaboration with Yakima Chief Hops (I guess they sent free hops?) And features Ekuanot and Sabro. I'm pretty sure I've had both of these hops before. Sabro a few times, including just last night. It is interesting and almost creamy tasting I feel. Ekuanot I seem to remember having but I don't recall much about it so it must not have made much of an impression if I have actually tried it.
    [​IMG]
    It pours milky yellow with an airy two fingers of white head. Okay retention; little lacing.
    The aroma is pretty much mango, orange, coconut, lime and a unique earthy spicy and sweet aroma underneath. The flavor is packed with that strange southern hemispherey citrus, woodsy, wholly interesting character that these new fangled hops seem to have to my palate. All that atop baguette. Fruity and resinous, but not really a fruit or sap I'm familiar with. It is fairly dry and a little soft with moderate carbonation. Very tasty beer with an interesting flavor profile. I'd gladly have this one again and look forward to them distributing more beers to Montreal.

I have another feline beer set aside for later. We'll see how late I get back home. Have a great rest of your Sunday, BAs.

Santé!

18. MNAle

MNAle Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

Thanks for kicking this off, @cjgiant.

As to Black Friday,if I won't stand in line for a limited release beer, why would I stand in line for a 70" 4K TV? I did exactly one Black Friday as a favor to my wife a number of years ago. Haven't done it since.

Today, I'll be having a couple of beers I day on the bench for yesterday's online tasting.

First up is
    Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel
    The #1 ranked German Dunkelweizen on BA.
    IBU: 14
    ABV: 5.3%

[​IMG]

Aroma is classic hefewiezen, banana, clove, somewhat sweet.

Brown, clear, plenty of carbonation beneath a slightly off-white-tanish, tall, thick head, receding slowly to a volcanic-dome shaped top surrounded by a wall of thick lacing.

Taste is very mild. As with the aroma, banana and clove. Solid sweetish malts.

Feel is thin toward moderate, with less carbonation on the tongue than expected given the visible bubbles.

Finish is dry tending toward sweet, with a good flavor lingering into the aftertaste.

Overall, this was a pleasant, enjoyable weizen, but not quite up to its #1 rank to my taste.

The date code indicates it was bottled on March 28, 2019, (assuming I am interpreting it correctly) so about 8 months old. Perhaps it is past its prime.

L: 4.0 | S: 4.0 | T: 3.75 | F: 3.75 | O: 3.75 | BA rating of: 3.83

19. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Grand Pooh-Bah (3,331) Nov 4, 2015 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

:astonished:
    I spent entirely too much time reading about Lancaster, CA on Thursday night. :smile:
    Saw something about bad weather in Lancaster , thinking it was Lancaster, PA, and wondered if it was coming this way. Clicked the link, & down the rabbit hole I went. :stuck_out_tongue: Glad you made it through, without incident. :+1:

20. Roguer

Roguer Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,757) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Good afternoon, NBS friends and family!

I had my son with me for Black Friday, so I didn't go anywhere. My "local" still had Bourbon County flights yesterday, though, so I made sure to get my fill. (That was the start of today's hangover, no doubt. :stuck_out_tongue: )

Today's first new beer is one in the long line of Hubbard's Cave Fresh IIPA series: Citra single-hop.

[​IMG]

If you like these kinds of beers - murky, soft, creamy DIPAs - then you've got to like this series (although I think I may prefer the multi-hop versions more than the single-hop offerings). This one checks all the boxes, and it's a nice showcase for Citra hops, with plenty of pale malt providing an excellent foundation.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/42755/289018/?ba=Roguer#review
    4.07 / -1.7%

Cheers!

Lingenbrau, strohme2, SABERG and 27 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.