New Beer Sunday (Week 800)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Shanex, Jun 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,642) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

Good morning advocates, and participants of this great thread that’s been going on for so many years now.

First time for me starting it, and I feel honored. I’m not going to write a tedious long-winded essay, but I truthfully hope every of you is doing fine in these troubled times, the pandemic particularly which has affected every of us, regardless of our countries...

So this is New Beer Sunday! Please come and sit at this bar. There’s seats for everyone here and tell us your impression of a new beer, how it looks, smell, taste, mouthfeel and your overall impression of it. Don’t be shy! Even if you don’t consider yourself a « wordsmith » or a great reviewer, we are here to listen and read about what the beer in your glass has to offer.

I have a new beer to kick off the thread. It caught my attention because CHOUFFE, of course and its flawless legacy.

[​IMG]

Chouffe Blanche.

I poured it into my Chouffe proper tulip, leaving a two inches white head fading quickly.

The color of the beer, for a Belgian witbier is orange, pretty opaque.

On the nose, hints of coriander and lemon.

On the palate, following the nose, lemon, coriander and citrus notes are noticeable. It’s only a 6,5% abv beer that drinks very easily and it’s important to me to point out doesn’t leave me those obnoxious « acid reflux » which make that some witbier are a no-no. This is well balanced between light bitterness and a very refreshing, slightly sweet finish.

Moderate carbonation and a light body as expected again, from the style.

Overall, an excellent witbier, a style you either love or abhor. This could be a nice « getaway » beer to start enjoying say style. Hooegarden for instance isn’t a beer I dig much. This one has won my heart.

Cheers all, have a nice Sunday!

Amendm, beergoot, larryi86 and 54 others like this.
  2. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (5,153) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

[​IMG] So I seem to have the honor of posting #800 and I kind of miss the days of @cavedave , Maria, @lordofthewiens , and @cjgiant doing it because they were really good at it. This is the best weekly thread for us sud slammers, hop junkies, beer nerds, and stout swallowers to come and break down a New Beer. How does it look, smell, taste, feel as you sip it, and your overall impression of it? Don’t be shy if you feel like you haven’t done it before and the snobs are going to make fun of you. Friendly group of usuals on this weekly thread. Cheers to all of the Dads and pull up a cheer and geek out with a New Beer!

Poured into a 16 oz can shaped pint glass canned on 6/16/2020. Pours a very hazy orange yellow with a finger sticky white head that leaves thin wisps of lace with excellent retention. 4.75

Smell is ripe melon, guava, pineapple, mango, berries, tangerine, and apricot with nice. 4.5

Taste follows cantaloupe, guava, tangerine, mango, boysenberry, pineapple, and apricot very little bitterness and juicy as hell. 4.75

Mouthfeel is above medium, soft creamy carbonation, a little sticky but dry, and at 8% ABV extremely crushable.

Overall another top tier NEDIPA from this 2.5 year old brewery that just keep taking risks and producing amazing beers. 4.75 This place is 10 miles from my house with great beer, food, and people that own and work at it. Again cheers.

Amendm, beergoot, larryi86 and 45 others like this.
  3. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (5,153) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

[​IMG] Poured into a 16 oz Snulip glass canned on 6/13/2020. Pours a hazy orange with a finger sticky white head that leaves thin wisps of lace as it slowly settles. 4.25

Smell peach, papaya, dragon fruit, mango, melon, apricot, and a little alcohol is detected. 4

Taste follows peach, dragon fruit, papaya, honeydew, mango, and apricot with a little hint of alcohol in the balanced finish. 4.25

Mouthfeel is big, gentle carbonation, a little sticky but not dry, and at 12% ABV it goes down extremely easy. 4.25

Overall a very nice beer that I will be drinking a good amount the next month, pretty impressed and this brewery has not really impressed me much, until this one. 4.25

LeRose, Amendm, beergoot and 40 others like this.
  4. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (4,125) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Good day New BSers! Off to a warm, clear start here in the tundra of NW PA - looks like I'll be moving my sprinkler after I mow later this afternoon. Today's New Breakfast Beer/New Beer Sunday dive into my beer reefer is from one of my favorite breweries, only about three hours away by interstate:

[​IMG]

$ 6.00 (Including tax)/16 oz can ($ 0.375/oz). Purchased 6/3/20 from Franklin Beer, Franklin, PA. Reviewed 6/21/20.
    Date on bottom of can “CANNED ON 03/09/20”. Stored at home at 42 degrees and served at 54 degrees in a hand washed and dried Jester King snifter.
    Appearance – 4.
    First pour – Deep amber (SRM 15), translucent.
    Body – Brown (SRM 20), opaque. When held to direct light, same.
    Head – Large (Maximum 5.5 cm, aggressive center pour), dark tan, high density with surface rocks, average duration, diminishing to a six to eight mm crown topped by a ring of lacing and a rocky complete cap of varying thickness.
    Lacing – Excellent. Tight wide band of extremely tiny bubbles. See also above.
    Aroma – 4 – Cherry cordial with a cloying after aroma of naphthylene. No chocolate, no malt, no hops, no yeast.
    Flavor – 4 – Taste follows nose but is much less pronounced. No chocolate until the slightly bitter aftertaste. No alcohol (8% ABV, as marked on the label) taste or aroma. No gastric warming until after several swallow. No diacetyl or dimethylsulfide.
    Palate – 3.5 – Medium, watery with a touch of softness from the oats, soft carbonation.
    Final impression and summation 4. While the palate seems a bit thin for an English oatmeal stout, overall, this is good – the touch of naphthylene certainly making it unique among chocolate-cherry brews. The cherry flavor is not as strong as I expected nor is the chocolate. The problem is I can’t push this back – I must continue sipping.

Rating 3.95, rDev + 2.1%.

LeRose, Amendm, beergoot and 39 others like this.
  5. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Poo-Bah (2,577) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Happy New Beer Sunday to you all! It’s Father’s Day and I’m thinking of my Dad. Relaxing at the kitchen table at Offutt Air Force base drinking a Falstaff beer. Sometimes he would be eating something smelly and gross To a little boy such as Limburger cheese , onions or sardines. I’d welcome one of those conversations with him today.
    [​IMG]

My new beer is Me, Myself and Thai from Melvin. yes, I am a ticker but this is one beer that i went back and bought again. It was good.

Here is my review

4.6/5 rDev +6.2%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Can poured into a teku

Frothy, soapy two finger off white foam cap, very good retention, very good lacings over a hazy orange liquid with a few streams of carbonation

Aroma tropical fruits, passion fruit, candied pineapple, guava, hint of peppery spiciness

Taste is tropical fruit , pineapple , banana, slightly sweet

Medium sudsing , hop taste, no bite

Very good beer

prosit Dad!

[​IMG]

#5 WunderLlama, Jun 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    LeRose, Amendm, beergoot and 38 others like this.
  6. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,392) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

Do you suspect the naphthylene is from whatever form of cherry used? Trying to imagine a flavor such as this makes me think of the smell of a Ludens cherry cough drop wrapper. :laughing: That sterile plastic/cloth smell

Ozzylizard, woemad, FBarber and 5 others like this.
  7. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,680) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Everything is better Wit beer!

Today is a new brand of beer from Tired Hands: Antenna which is a Witbier.

Tired Hands is most renowned for their Juicy/Hazy beers (including Milkshake beers) but I appreciate that they are also willing to brew more traditional type beers.

Let’s see how they do with the Witbier style

Served in my Lindemans Cuvee Rene Witbier glass:

Appearance:

Straw yellow color with a BIG white head. Upon a subsequent pour to refill the glass quite hazy (apparently the hazy materials settled to the bottom portion of the can).

Aroma:

Whoa! Quite a bit of funk on the nose which I was not expecting since this beer is ‘advertised’ as being a Wit. Not much else that I can perceive here.

Taste:

The flavors follows the nose: plenty of funk on the palate. There is a low/medium bitterness and a notable tartness.

Mouthfeel:

A light body along with a tingly sensation (from the carbonation?).

Overall:

While this beer was quite surprising to me since it has qualities not classically associated with the Witbier style I did enjoy drinking it. A very good beer for a hot day!

Cheers!

@KOP_Beer_OUtlet @rotsaruch @RobH

P.S After drinking this beer I researched to see if anybody has reviewed this beer on BA. Below is the only review posted which includes a description from Tired Hands. I bolded a portion:

“From a 16oz can undated but released in April 2020. From the TH Instagram post: Antenna is our brand new take on Witbier. Brewed with plenty of raw wheat, as well as a bit of orange peel and coriander, and fermented in oak with a classic Wit yeast as well as our expressive mixed culture. Bright, citrusy and lightly tart. Refermented in the can for natural carbonation. Notes of mimosa, tart underripe peach, tangelo, mango lassi and a chamomile breeze.” Tart!”

Aha! That’s explains this beer: they co-pitched this beer with the mixed culture they utilize while brewing some of their Saison beers. An interesting ‘twist’ here.

[​IMG]

RobH, LeRose, Amendm and 40 others like this.
  8. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Meyvn (1,456) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

Thank you @Shanex for your great start to the thread. I wish all here who are Fathers a Happy, Healthy and Great Beer Sunday today from around the globe. It's a beautiful day in Chicago after some clearing rain and the very warm Southern wind has moved on. Have a journey to Revolution planned in a few hours for a Deep Woods pickup of Supermassive Deth. I tried a five ounce pour as one of the variants to a release this winter, but this was on a Saturday and only five ounces so look forward to posting a full NBS review in an upcoming week (possibly today).

This is a friendly reminder to all; please note the beer and brewer in posts here, sometimes the bottle/can pictures are not accessible or not clear to some readers.

My first pour today is a new release from the great folks at Une Annee / Hubbards Cave. Hubbard's Cave Clean Pale was canned 6/3 (5.5% ABV), and while it sold out quickly at the brewery, I was fortunate Binny's had a four pack waiting for me to pick up. This was not refrigerated post drop off with Binny's, a primary sticking point with purchasing beer from there, but this was my only option so away we go.

[​IMG]

Appearance: Pint glass pour, tan orange murky colour, light white head dissipates quick, leaving light bubbly lacing. 3.75

Aroma:
    Faint pine and citrus. 3.25

Taste: Bold taste, dry pine leads, citrus backs well. Balanced sweet and bitter. Simple, nice. 3.75

Mouthfeel: Creamy, rich fill body, light dryness, easy clean finish. 4.25

Overall:
    Overall nice, simple but well executed Pale Ale pour. 3.75

Chouffe Blanche is the most tempting future new pour to me so far, looking forward to more great ideas and reviews as the day unfolds.

Cheers!

LeRose, Amendm, beergoot and 34 others like this.
  9. Reef

Reef Champion (806) Dec 2, 2016 South Carolina
    Society

[​IMG]
    Old Nation Brewing Co. M-43 on the shelves for the taking in Georgia.
    Golden haze, two fingers white fine head. Curtain lacing and full cap. No sediment or floaters.
    Grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, faint spice and pepper aromas.
    Orange, mango, pineapple, peach flavors, citrus aftertaste.
    Mild mouthfeel, developing bitterness across the tongue, dry finish,outstanding lasting carbonation
    4.44/5 rDev +0.5%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very happy to see this with a packaging date of less than a month old in Augusta. I have also seen Boss Tweed kegs in Georgia. I hope their distributor, Modern Hops, keeps delivering the goods.

LeRose, micada, Amendm and 38 others like this.
  10. Bluecrow

Bluecrow Poo-Bah (1,682) Jul 16, 2012 New York
    Society

After a 25 mile cycling jaunt this new beer is ideal. Sand City’s Enough Already Already is listed as a wild ale on BA but is a gose in the brewers’s mind, on the brewer’s label and by flavor. A vigorous foam cap dissipates immediately upon pouring. The cloudy yellow-orange brew hosts a briny citrus aroma. The flavor is salty with rich mango, orange and lemon. This is a pleasure.
    [​IMG]

LeRose, Amendm, beergoot and 33 others like this.
  11. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,363) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Good morning and happy Father’s Day to the dads in the audience and a word of honor going out to the fathers who have passed but leave an indelible mark on their sons and daughters

Well this is what happens you have several new beers in the fridge and believe it just doesn’t matter what you drink first; you grab an 11% monster for your first post. Ughhh..... guess I’ll have to power through it and cleanse the ole pallete before my next one, ostensibly after a nap...,

Back Bay Brewing Mosaic

[​IMG]

3.86/5 rDev -4.9%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

No problem generating a nice frothy head. Opaque orange and not really too dingy either. Nose has enough ripe veggie up front to almost suggest brett, but quickly recedes into a little onion and tangerine. Taste leans heavily towards candied orange and light garlic before the high ABV affirmation takes place in the form of a slightly syrupy sweet alcoholic backbone

LeRose, Amendm, beergoot and 32 others like this.
  12. Act25

Act25 Poo-Bah (2,944) Nov 8, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

4 New 4+ beers for Papa's day/Solstice 2020 including first summer lager
    Jai Alai IPA - White Oak | Cigar City | 7.5% IPA
    /5 rDev +0.5%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5
    I like White Oak a shard better than Jai Alai. Bravo!
    a) An arrogant bastard like smokey body, darker, more bronze, with a creamy lasting and lacing head.
    s) As noted wood, vanilla, coconut rise as the first layers, the wood continues and is supported by citrus, pine, malt.
    t) Loses the shortbread cookie sweet of the original in favor of smokey, woody, oaky power.
    f) Perfect, the wood and hop resins linger quite well. Well made.
    o) Sum greater than the parts and so a higher yet score here.
    Neverending Haze IPA | Stone || 4% Session IPA
    /5 rDev +7.5%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25
    54th review. Finest 4% IPA of all, should taste against Carton Boat and all the best.
    a) starts with a rocky steep crusty head that lasts and laces over a hazed golden body.
    s) Nose is floral, citrus blossom rather than flesh. Ample, inviting.
    t) The taste runs floral, perfumed, blossomy, but tempers mid palate to white cake, wood and peppercorn. Lovely balance.
    f) Plenty going on in the bittering and bright fin
    Vibrant P'ocean | Dogfish Head | 4.7% Field beer
    /5 rDev +5.2%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4
    33rd review and I'm not a mason. If you live by the sea, this beer is for you.
    a) Lovely berry body color, fast face scant head as with most fruit/field beers.
    s) Solid Flanders aroma, with perfume, orchard, the sea on the background.
    t) best part. follows aroma, but develops wine-like, flowers, field, berry notes against an almost pickle sour, salty, yeasty backdrop.
    f) Wine-like, tongue prickle, refreshing, summery, sea air. 2 beers in one.
    o) I find the sum better than its parts or the reviews here. Will be great blended (again) with any ale or IPA. Try that!
    Buenaveza Salt & Lime Lager | Stone | 4.7% Lager
    /5 rDev +8.4%
    look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
    31st review. Always a favorite. If any brewer can get this Mex-inspired Lager right, it's Stone, and then do!
    If I had to drive this all summer afternoon, and today is the first day of summer, and father's day, I would.
    a) Pale yellow body with white skin head that laces dots.
    t) Shifts from floral into spicy, prickly, cactii flesh, aloe, and lemongrass. Lemon pepper in the finale.
    f) Perfect lager, pilsner profile.
    o) Sum greater than the parts. Great Corona replacement.

LeRose, Amendm, beergoot and 29 others like this.
  13. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Poo-Bah (2,502) Mar 7, 2013 Canada
    Society Trader

Hi there, NBS!
    I don't have tons of time to talk today as it is the first day for me in a long time for some sun-soaked summer pseudosocializing. It's hotter than hell so it should be a decent day for it (I hope). I felt obligated to make sure I swing by to wish you all a happy 800th thread lest I space it this evening! I love this thread. It has had more ups than downs and is definitely an evolving entity and I myself miss our majestically masterful maestros of past iterations, but I still love coming here and sharing my beer as I drink it with you fine folks.
    Today being a nice day and an important number I figured I should have a sour. Something I don't usually seek out, but that I enjoy when I do have it. Just feels a little fancier I guess. This is a sour brown ale, Wild Child, from The Alchemist, courtesy of my brother from another mother and all around bodacious bud and BA that I tip my virtual hat to, as always.
    [​IMG]
    It pours clear ruby brown with a small beige head.
    The aroma is a complex mix of sweet balsamic vingear, red fruits, wood, spices and light oxidation. The flavor is a little less varied. Tight tartness, a little puckering, some dirty bitterness to off-set but mainly an almost-astringent acetic acid bite. It is drinkable for the ABV and fairly light on the palate but the sourness and slight astringency wears you down after a bit still and all refreshing and tasty though. This is a nice enough beer but is not as balanced or round as it's European counterparts. The aroma is exquisite, the rest is good. A nice with drinker in the heat and humidity.

Santé, NBS! And cheers to another 800!

papposilenus, LeRose, Amendm and 36 others like this.
  14. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,178) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

Thanks @Shanex for getting NBS started today.
    Just back from a new hike today. Definitely more of a hike, with a lot of uphill. The dogs seemed to enjoy it, and probably could have continued after us humans turned around.
    I bought an Odell variety pack a few days ago, so let's start delving into it. First up is Tree Shaker Imperial Mango IPA, with an ABV of 8%.
    A clear gold color with a medium-sized white head and a little bit of lace
    Mango aroma mostly. Some citrus
    Mango up front, followed by tangerine and pineapple.
    Smooth drinking.

[​IMG]

Happy Father's Day!

TheDoctor, LeRose, Amendm and 34 others like this.
  15. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (24,466) May 5, 2010 Ohio
    Society Trader

Have a good NBS. Thanks to @Shanex for starting his first NBS thread. Been pretty much the same stuff this week. Listening to music, playing video games, watching youtube videos, and getting lit up. I got a new waterpipe with Rick and Morty art painted on it a few days ago. Also bought a fishing license last week, so I will start that hobby again. I haven't done it since high school, so this is my first license ever.

Rustic Leaf My Tart Will Go On. Awesome Berliner. Lasting fluffy head retention/thick foamy lacing. Aromas and flavors of big juicy/tart/tangy blackberries, fruit skin/seed, lemon, lime, peach, pear, pineapple, apricot, melon, red/green apple, white grape/wine, hay, straw, and grass; with moderate wheat, cracker, white bread dough malts; light pepper/lacto funk and yeast earthiness. Light-moderate fruity/lactic tart/sourness, and fruit tang on the finish. Medium-plus carbonation, medium body, and fairly crisp/clean finishing. Balanced creamy/grainy wheat, lactic acid, and fruit tang/tannins in the mouthfeel. Light-moderate increasing acidic/tangy dryness; no pucker/astringency. Very smooth/soft/refreshing, not overly lactic, zero warming 3.8%. Awesome balance of juicy/jammy fruit and lacto complexity; with a great clean wheat/malt backbone against acidity. Minimal residual sweetness with crisp dryness. Spot on style. 4.13
    [​IMG]

Cheers

LeRose, Amendm, beergoot and 29 others like this.
  16. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,934) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Happy Father's Day to all you fathers, and happy memories to all you who have lost your fathers.

First one for me today is from Minneapolis brewer Wild Mind.

Wild Mind Artisan Ales La Femme Forte Belgian Saison
    ABV: 5.9%
    IBU: NA

[​IMG]

The brewer's notes for this beer say:

"Back in March, some of the women members of our Forgotten Barrel Society visited the brewhouse to make La Femme Forte, a special beer for International Women's Day. The open-fermented saison was brewed with house saison yeast and refermented on fresh peaches and mangos. $1 of each crowler sale goes directly to Dress For Success"

Aroma is tropical and tart with, oddly, some hints of sweetness in the smell as well.

Hazy yellow-gold, translucent, with an occasional rising bubble or two visible through the haze. The one inch white head, while initially thick and creamy looking, fades to nothing within a few minutes. Spotty lacing as you drink. The visible carbonation disappears half-way through, resulting in a still appearance.

The taste is mildly tart and crisp, somewhat funky, with a nice level of fruit flavors, tropical flavors, and I do pick up the mango and peach the brewer's description mentions. The fruit flavors are not "in your face", which in my opinion is a good thing. They instead provide a nice complement to the underlying funky tartness, resulting in an excellent, easy-drinking, tropical saison.

Mouth feel is moderate to thin, with a nice tart crispness.

Overall, excellent, with a nice balance among the funk, tartness, and tropical fruits. I enjoyed this beer a lot.

L: 3.75 | S: 3.75 | T: 4.5 | F: 4.0 | O: 4.25 | Rating: 4.18

TheDoctor, LeRose, Amendm and 31 others like this.
  17. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (3,900) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Good Afternoon NBS'ers! Happy Father's Day to any dads out there.

Spent some time this morning in my garden and was surprised to see my parsley plant crawling with these little caterpillars. Turns out they are the larvae of the black swallowtail butterfly and they feed almost exclusively on parsley and dill plants.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Today, I am kicking off NBS with a very special "beer" in honor of the 800th iteration of NBS.
    [​IMG]
    So, I am 30 years old, and I have never drank any malt liquor outside of once trying a Mickey's. My parents did not drink, and my grandfather drank whatever AAL was "on sale", so I never really was around malt liquor. So when people were joking about Olde English "800" being the beer of choice for this week, I decided to give it a try! At $3.50 for a 4-pack of 16 oz cans, you can't really beat that ...

Pours a crystal clear bright golden color. Quite effervescent with a thin velvety head that displays excellent head retention. Its actually quite a nice looking beer.

Aroma, well frankly, reminds me of someones breath after they've been drinking beer for a while ... has some notes of sweet grains, light fruity not notes and a stale alcohol note.

Taste has notes of sweat pastry and grains. Although there are some flavors here, its remarkably bland and muted overall. Its got a generic sweetness to it with a dry mildly bitter finish.

The feel is smooth and easy drinking.The carbonation is moderate but bright. There is something about this that coats your mouth and throat - not sure what it is, but I feel it as Im drinking through the can.

Overall this was not something Ill ever pick up again, but hey, at least I can say I tried it ...

Cheers to 800 and here's to 800 more!

TheDoctor, LeRose, Amendm and 39 others like this.
  18. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,289) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Hello, NBS crew, and Happy Father's Day to you if you're a mo---del dad :slight_smile:

Today I have a new beer that might be a re-branding, or might just be an off-shoot (or perhaps offspring?) of another beer. Flying Dog's Dead Rise Summer Ale is listed as an herbed/spiced beer here, and while that fits, in my opinion it's more like an APA. Sure the Old Bay spice comes through a bit, but it worked for me (better than most, it appears) as a light summer pale ale.

This year's announcements for Dead Rise hit my social media feeds a couple weeks ago, though there was a twist... the beer was in the Gose style. Old Bay being a seasoning that has celery salt listed as its first ingredient, this could be interesting. Let's see.

Ok, it pours a light golden, leaning towards straw but not getting there. The head on this soured ale fluffs up, but can't hold itself for long, even with an etched glass. A medium collar does linger as an extension of the peninsula formed from the carbonation feed from glass bottom.
    [​IMG]
    There is a crackery malt and wheat scent along with an ocean breeze salinity and a hint of sour. The Old Bay is quite distinguishable, but doesn't hog all of my olfactory sensors, sharing quite nicely with the other notes.

A nice Gose-like opening, with wheat, salt, and a light tangy sour note that in some sips seems more lactic and in others has a lemony aspect. The salinity adds a softness to the beer, and the carbonation doesn't really add much - almost sharing any biting aspect with the sour aspect. Old Bay's more earthy notes (from peppers and paprika) join in just before mid-taste and hang on through the end. Each finish is fairly clean, with a very light impression of tang and saline water, but after half a glass, the Old Bay earthy notes start to hang on as well.

I like this beer - and I think like the original, the base beer chosen by Flying Dog is well made and comes through. The added spice (which apparently can be polarizing in itself) plays in and adds some uniqueness without demanding the stage. It does add a slight oddity which comes to me as earthy, perhaps a tad dirty, but isn't off-putting (again, to me). I think I like the summer ale version a little better (@Urk1127) because earthiness plays into the pale ale style a little more seamlessly.

Edit: in the end, I think the Gose comes through nicely, but whether the spice component adds or detracts will likely shift rating points more than maybe it should.

Oh, and a bonus for you, in that I'm just posting the link for Grapefruit Nectar by RAR Brewing (Realerevival) and not another of my long-winded posts like this one. Summary - another MD brew, one that I found a good IPA that unsuccessfully to me walked a tightrope between new thicker feel and older cleaner feel. The scents and flavors were nice enough to rate an overall 4 for me, though.

#18 cjgiant, Jun 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    Txex06, TheDoctor, LeRose and 36 others like this.
  19. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,289) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

I actually did look for this at the grocery store this past week and while disappointed, wasn't shocked they didn't have any. Didn't get a chance to check out a convenience store as well. Maybe I'll try this week and if successful, will post a week out of sync :slight_smile:

Junior, GreenBayBA, eppCOS and 7 others like this.
  20. aleigator

aleigator Poo-Bah (2,235) May 10, 2014 Germany
    Society Trader

Lervig It‘s not me, It‘s you

Pours a vibrant, entirely hazed yellow with a medium, slowly receeding head.

Has an amazing smell to it, offering ripe kiwi, water melon and fresh cut limes among sweet passion fruit.

Has a lighter, fizzy mouthfeel to it, which I find quite unusual for the style, usually being able to produce a thicker, creamy mouthfeel. This is refreshing and easy drinking with a nice balance to it nontheless.

Tastes of sweeter malts, with a noteable caramel impact, gently blending into a ripe appearing fruit basket with luscious oranges, blueberries and ice bonbon among lighter water melon and tangerine. From that a solid bitterness arises, bringing up lime pulp to the palate, hiding beneath doughy malts immediately. Finishes sweeter, malt driven with a soda pop sweetness to it and just a faint impact of fruits and bitter hops.

This is solid, it‘s mouthfeel though is just too thin for this. The bitterness in this seems a bit subdued as well, since the beer finishes with pretty much nothing going on unfortunately.

[​IMG]

Txex06, TheDoctor, LeRose and 34 others like this.
  21. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,363) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Little disappointed in the second beer of the day, Bells Incessant

[​IMG]

3.55/5 rDev -13.8%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Big foamer here, bright orange body. Spice and candy orange dominate the smell until some maltiness creeps in with just a brush of what i can best describe as nougat. Taste goes in about six baffling directions at once with initially bringing the candy orange but then takes the path of an unguided bottle rocket as its big bread malt for a second, then cantaloupe, then spiced gum drops until it finishes as club soda. Throughout the strange journey the one constant is a wateriness which comes through in the body as well. Stick with 3rd coast beers, Bells and not the NEIPA thing

Txex06, TheDoctor, LeRose and 33 others like this.
  22. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (4,820) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

Starting off with a new Saint Arnold offering. They have yet to officially admit it, but this has basically replaced their 5 O'Clock Pils, which has been one of my favorites since that was first released. It is all but impossible to find that one anymore. Lets see how this new offering goes:

Headliner Blonde Ale. 4.3% ABV.

[​IMG]

Pours a clear yellow color. A large white head rises to over two fingers. A constant barrage of bubbles keeps racing to the top and rejuvenates the white foam. Plenty of lace left behind.

The aroma is of bread and crackers. Husky hay, fresh cut grass aromas. Simple and enjoyable.

The taste follows suite. Bread/biscuit/cracker like malts. Grassy hops, with a bit of earthiness. A touch of honey like like sweetness, with a bit of lingering bitterness as well.

A light body that is supper carbonated. Effervescent, crisp, and finishes dry. Definitely an easy drinker. Tailor made for the hot Houston summers, and I can see me coming back to this.

This is certainly well made. Easily in the B+ range, if not more. Its not a one to one substitute for 5 O'Clock, and I still think that is one hell of a pils. This is pretty good in its own right, and another quality offering from Saint Arnold, even if it doesn't hit the lofty heights of 5 O'Clock.

Txex06, TheDoctor, LeRose and 30 others like this.
  23. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Poo-Bah (1,928) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Society

Shipyard melon wheat
    .. has medium carbonation with about a medium body
    ..aroma is heavy on watermelon rind,followed by fruit,wheat and grain.
    Taste is again rind forward but has a nice watermelon fruit flavor. Wheat flour but also a perfume floral almost artificial fruit flavor as well
    ...overall it's good but not my favorite watermelon beer[​IMG]

Txex06, TheDoctor, LeRose and 29 others like this.
  24. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (24,466) May 5, 2010 Ohio
    Society Trader

Odd Side Realignment Ale. Awesome raspberry wheat. Lasting fluffy head retention/soapy lacing. Aromas and flavors of big juicy/tart/tangy red raspberries, fruit skin/seed, lemon, peach, pear, red apple, melon, light banana/clove, wheat, biscuit dough, light honey/toast, herbal, floral, grass, and yeast earthiness. Light herbal, floral, grassy, peppery bitterness; and fruit tang/tartness on the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-plus body; very creamy/silky/bready malts, some sticky hops, and acidic/tannic fruit in the mouthfeel. Light-moderate increasing acidic/tangy dryness, no pucker/astringency. Very smooth/soft, flavorful, refreshing, minimal warming 5.5%. Awesome balance of big juicy/jammy raspberry and American wheat yeast complexity; with a great clean pale/wheat malt backbone. Mild residual sweetness with lingering dryness. Very impressive for the style! 4.13
    [​IMG]

Cheers

Txex06, LeRose, Amendm and 28 others like this.
  25. aleigator

aleigator Poo-Bah (2,235) May 10, 2014 Germany
    Society Trader

L‘Ermitage Bruxelles ma Belle

Pours a paler, unfiltered yellow with a medium sized, slowly receeding head.

Smells heavenly of fresh cut peaches, ripe papaya and early plucked passion fruit among lots of lime zest.

Features a light and well carbonated mouthfeel, leading to a well balanced refreshment.

Tastes of bitter lime zest, lighter papaya and soothing bread dough, with just a light hint of caramel. Turns a little more mineralic then, emphasizing the prominent limes in this, with just enough exotic fruits cutting through to maintain a pleasant, hop supporting sweetness. Finishes dry, fruity with coating limes, establishing a short and crisp finish, together with a fruity sweetness.

Very nice Pale Ale, with a great focus and depth. Heavy on the citrus, this also manages to provide a great balance, due to a flowery and sweet caressing exotic fruit basket.

[​IMG]

Txex06, TheDoctor, LeRose and 32 others like this.
  26. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (5,228) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

Believe it or not, I've still got some beers left from @FBarber 's ninja box. Breaking into one now:

[​IMG]
    Half Acre Stacks of Wheat

I'm expecting a hoppy American wheat ale. Let's see if I'm correct.

Well, not as much as you might expect. It's actually quite balanced, and it's growing on me as I near the finish. It is still a hoppy American wheat ale, but I wouldn't call it a wheat IPA by any stretch. Neither, though, is it a traditional wheat ale. It's hard to describe, actually.

Short version: it's good! I definitely like it. It would be a very nice beer to have available near you on tap.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/18006/476390/?ba=Roguer#review
    3.68 / -3.4%

Cheers!

TheDoctor, LeRose, cavedave and 28 others like this.
  27. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (3,176) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Weathered Souls Reverence Wild Ale

Happy Fathers Day, BAs. Let me join @SawDog505 in giving a tip of the hat to the former hosts of this great thread.

Today’s new beer came to me courtesy of @r0rschach an NBS BIF round or two ago. It’s hitting the spot today.

Reverence pours a relatively clear light gold color with only a slight haze. A thin layer of airy, clear bubbles sits on the top before quickly popping away. It leaves a pencil-thin head and no lacing.

Cider, vinegar and light peach show in the nose.

It’s tart tasting with light peach, light mango, apple cider and vinegar again. Lightly fruity overall and fairly puckering with a burst of acidity in the finish.

The feel is light bodied with just a little oiliness and low carbonation.

This has a nice, inoffensive mango cider-evoking balance of fruitiness and sourness. Could make for a good introductory sour. Very refreshing. Thanks, John. :beers:

Txex06, r0rschach, TheDoctor and 31 others like this.
  28. dennis3951

dennis3951 Meyvn (1,011) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Bitburger Triple Hopped Lager, this beer is a collaboration Of Bitburger and Sierra Nevada Brewing. It is a 1 timer and brewed only in Germany. This brew is exactly what you would be A German Lager that is hopped like an APA. Nothing unusual about how this beer looks a golden body with a thick white head. There is a strong aroma of Cascade hops, that does not overpower the malt aroma. The taste is balanced. The hops and malt are both there and neither one takes over. The mouthfeel is full and a bit soft. Overall a fine enjoyable brew which was expected because of who brewed it. My 6 pack was canned on I/01/2020. It tasted fresh, the best by date is 01/08/2021. Worth trying if you see it.

Txex06, TheDoctor, LeRose and 23 others like this.
  29. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (3,265) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

If I had half a functional brain, I’d be reviewing the same today, but I am old and feeble minded. Well done.

GreenBayBA, woemad, Roy_Hobbs and 3 others like this.
  30. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,680) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

You da man for drinking Olde English 800 for NBS #800. Taking one for the team!:slight_smile:

To the best of my knowledge/recollection I have never consumed this beer. When I was a kid growing up in a city the beverages of choice for the bums on the street were either Olde English 800 (quart bottles) or Thunderbird. These beverages were consumed with the appropriate 'accessory' of a brown paper bag and after the bottles were empty they would just leave them on the sidewalk (or street). This sight was enough to motivate me to never drink either of these beverages when I became older; to my mind these are bum drinks.

Cheers to you!

GreenBayBA, eppCOS, MacMalt and 8 others like this.
  31. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,642) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

Not great enough for everyone and we «can’t win them all », but thanks.

Coming from a former « host », I appreciate it, too. Always looking forward to your post here or elsewhere. Cheers.

GreenBayBA, MacMalt, SABERG and 3 others like this.
  32. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (10,419) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Scorpion Bowl IPA,3.78 overall

Pours an effervescent gold with a thumb of ivory colored head. Great lacing and head retention

S: Tropical fruits, a little citrus

T: Papaya, green melon, some coconut & pomelo up front. Dryness, lime and green melon as this warms. Finishes with lime, coconut & green melon

MF: Medium body, fairly moderate carbonation, decent balance

Solid offering, was hoping for a little better, but drinks very easy

LeRose, cavedave, beergoot and 21 others like this.
  33. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (3,289) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

[​IMG]

Sommerzwickl, a Kellerbier by German brewery Hofbräuhaus München (5.1% ABV).

Pours a cloudy, dark amber coloration with a large, frothy, lasting head and visible carbonation. Smells of bready, grainy malt and grassy, slightly floral hops, although the aroma is a little subdued.

Taste is an excellent balance of bready, grainy malt and grassy, herbal and slightly floral hops, with just a hint of orange rind citrus accents coming through as well. Finishes with a medium bitterness and some bready/grainy malt, grassy/herbal hops and orange rind lingering in the aftertaste. Smooth mouthfeel with a medium body and carbonation.

This is quite aptly named, offering a somewhat brighter, hoppier and more refreshing Kellerbier experience with an excellent malt/ hop balance and good bitterness in the finish. While the slightly sweet, bready and grainy malts are initially quite prominent, the grassy, herbal and slightly floral and citrussy hops really gather momentum towards the finish, culminating in a great, soft bitterness. Overall, this really manages a great balancing act between sweet malts and bitter hops, making for quite an enjoyable, hoppy and refreshing summer beer with a distinct malt character.

LeRose, cavedave, Amendm and 26 others like this.
  34. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (4,820) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

I have been waiting all week to open this one. 3 Fonteinen Oude Geuze is one of my favorites, and have been drinking that like water this week as well.

First time having the Cuvee Armand & Gaston. 6.5% ABV, Belgian Geuze.
    [​IMG]

Pours a beautiful light orange, with just a touch of haze. A towering white head fills my goblet with excellent retention. That gently recedes to leave some light lace.

A magnificent aroma that fills the room.. Ripe grapefruit rind and orange peal. White pepper, oak, light vinegar, a touch of vanilla. Musty basement like funk makes me want to dance.

Taste is of acidic fruit rind, ripe grapefruit, orange and lemon. Of coarse the acidity is strong but never gets overbearing. Musty funk balances that beautifully. Like going down into a wonder cellar. Peppery spice with light oak and vanilla. Just amazing.

A medium body that is perfectly carbonated. Effervescent and spritzy. Everything is so well balanced here, I just can't get enough. Normally, even for someone like me that loves the style, the acidic sourness can get in the way of how much I want to drink it. Though this never gets, in any way, difficult to enjoy.

Yep, this is excellent. One of the better beers I have had in recent memory. I have always been a huge fan of their Gueuze and Lambic, and this is why. I'll just say superlative, and leave it at that.

I know a lot of times when you find that one thing you have been wanting, its easy to get over excited, and maybe that is happening a little, but who cares. I love it and thats all that matters. Got a few more bottles as well. Now to put on some Miles and enjoy the afternoon.

Overall score is 4.55. Official review below:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2216/235041/?ba=champ103#review

Txex06, TheDoctor, LeRose and 27 others like this.
  35. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (3,900) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

I will freely admit I bought that on the can art alone (Monet!?!). But I ended up drinking through them really quick as it is a nice easy drinking beer.

haha, I'll be sure to drink the last 3 cans in their proper "glassware" of a paper bag :joy:

GreenBayBA, eppCOS, MacMalt and 10 others like this.
  36. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (5,228) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

The art was indeed lovely. And while the beer wasn't mind-blowing, it disappeared rather quickly. :grinning:

GreenBayBA, eppCOS, ChicagoJ and 6 others like this.
  37. snaotheus

snaotheus Poo-Bah (4,171) Oct 6, 2008 Washington
    Society

Happy Father's Day, fellow fathers. My new beer is taken from my father-in-law's fridge today. Last weekend's Untappd virtual festival tipped me over my gradually growing interest in trying more lagers, and here's one that he swears by: Henry Weinhard's Special Reserve.

[​IMG]
    12oz can served in a shaker pint glass. Can is dated "OCT !!!!! 1220". Maybe it's a best by date. I dunno.

Pours perfectly clear dark golden, with a big head that dissipates rapidly, leaves a couple millimeter thick head resting on top. Moderate carbonation when it's at rest. Smell is slight lemon, lots of yeast/bread, a little bit of the lager funk.

Taste is a lot of malt, bready/yeasty. Lager funk is less pronounced in the flavor. Lemon is just barely present.

Mouthfeel is almost a soda fizziness, otherwise fairly thick. Overall, it's not bad. Something I could see drinking on a boat while fishing, or at the beach on a hot day, or something like that.

Txex06, TheDoctor, LeRose and 25 others like this.
  38. Roy_Hobbs

Roy_Hobbs Zealot (527) Jan 21, 2017 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there, and for those of you still fortunate enough to have your dad, don't take the time for granted.

Today's beer is courtesy of @FlintB from the Rookies BIF a few months back. Having participated in back to back BIFS (Rookies & NBS #11) along with all the associated ninja / return fire boxes I received, I've largely had to focus on drinking the IPAs I was sent while they were still fresh. As such, I still mostly haven't delved into the other styles that have been sent my way. I've saved many sours for hot & humid days like today, and it's time to start cracking some of them open.

This one is Never Never Again Again, a "Double Raspberry Gose Ale" from The Veil Brewing Co. I haven't had much from The Veil other than trying out some of their stouts a few months ago, which were amazing. Looking forward to seeing what they can do with a different style.
    [​IMG]
    4.34/5 rDev -4%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a deep red with some bubbling, but almost no head. Absolutely looks like a smoothie. Smell is all raspberry. Just pure fruit, in a way that certainly indicates the flavor is not likely to be subtle. Taste is delicious. Putting aside whether or not this has a traditional "beer" taste, it's really good, and the raspberry, while very prominent, is not so in your face as to be overwhelming. Low carbonation, and very smooth. This is really good, especially on a ~90 degree day. Another great beer from The Veil.

Txex06, TheDoctor, LeRose and 24 others like this.
  39. woodchipper

woodchipper Meyvn (1,273) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society

Happy Father's Day New Beer Sunday!
    So my wife did a big TH run this week (thankful). Its not really porter weather, but of the entire haul, this is the one I have not had yet. I'm enjoying it. Dogs are resting in the shady part of the grass.
    [​IMG]
    4.3/5 rDev +2.6%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 16 oz can dated 5/28/2020 into a Nonic.
    Pours out very dark, very opaque with medium dark beige head.
    Aroma is malty, chocolate, caramel, sugar cane.
    Taste is incredibly chocolate. A little sweeter than I like, but I can overlook that for the overall effect this has.
    Mouth feel is not as sticky as you would think for the sweetness, but the viscosity is about right. Carbonation is slightly lighter than I would think would be perfect, but not by a lot.
    If this was drier I would have rated it higher, but still a pretty good beer.
    [​IMG]

Txex06, TheDoctor, LeRose and 23 others like this.
  40. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,629) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

I can remember drinking that one when Weinhard's was a real, functioning brewing company and not a contract-brewed label owned by some corporation. Haven't had one in a long time. Maybe I'll pick some up on my next beer run and try some for science.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.