New Beer Sunday (Week 801)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by superspak, Jun 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (24,345) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Society Trader

Hello and welcome to another edition of NBS!

Have a good one. Pretty normal week of my playing a lot of PC games, actually got a fair amount of new ones(all very discounted from the Steam sale). A lot of platformer titles so I have been using my Bluetooth game controller a lot. I have been having a bit more of a consistent new review routine going the past few weeks thankfully, but will need to make a beer haul this week as it’s been a month.

Feel free to come in and tell us your experience of a new beer you have tried today. Make sure to include look, smell, taste, feel, and overall what are your final thoughts about it. Pictures are encouraged as well, something nice to look at.

Arbor Flamboyant Wild Red. 2010 vintage. Amazing Flanders red! Fantastic head retention/foamy lacing. Broke my oldest corkscrew trying to open this. Aromas and flavors of big sour/tart/tangy red/black cherry, raspberry, blackberry, fruit skin/seed, peach, plum, fig, date, apricot, pear, red/green apple, red grape/wine, hay, straw, grass, wood, leather, cork, musty/lacto funk, caramel, brown sugar, brown bread, nuttiness, toasted biscuit, light peppercorn, oak, and yeast earthiness. Light-moderate lactic tart/sourness, tang, and yeast/oak tannin spiciness on the finish. Medium-plus carbonation/body, and fairly crisp finishing. Balanced creamy/grainy wheat, lactic acid, tang, and oak tannins in the mouthfeel. Light-moderate increasing acidic/tangy/tannic dryness; no pucker/astringency. Very smooth, not overly lactic/tannic. Minimal warming 8.5%. Amazing balance of brett/bacteria complexity, oak, and a nice sized dark/bready malt backbone. Mild residual sweetness with crisp dryness. Top tier style example, held up amazingly well, with no cork failure! 4.33
    [​IMG]

Cheers

2. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (4,928) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

[​IMG] Poured into a 16 oz Snulip glass not when it was canned, please mark your cans? Pours a hazy orange with with a half finger white head that leaves thin lines of lace, with solid retention. 4.5

Smell coconut, pineapple, tangerine, hint of garlic, and apricot. 4.25

Taste follows coconut, pineapple, a little garlic, tangerine, and apricot. 4.5

Mouthfeel is medium, soft gentle carbonation, not sticky or dry, and at 6.3% easy drinking, but plenty of flavor. 4.5

Overall I like this beer a lot. Not sure why sometimes I get the garlic hints, with the coconut with Sabro hops but I like it. This is a really nice and slightly different. Nice stuff, but I repeat Barreled Souls Brewing Company mark your cans, especially if it clearly states on the can drink fresh. 4.5 Cheers all.

3. Bluecrow

Bluecrow Poo-Bah (1,620) Jul 16, 2012 New York
    Society

This new beer is Cosmic Handshake, a collaboration between Sixpoint and Victory, this sour NE DIPA is an odd duck.
    The brew presents as a bright yellow and cloudy pour with a 1cm foam cap that dissipates immediately leaving no discernible carbonation.
    The aroma of grapefruit, lemon and is mildly tart. The flavor follows with grapefruit zest predominant. More nuanced tropical fruit flavors follow. The kettle sour tartness overrides all other aspects.
    This is quenching, but the 9% ABV precludes that as a regular use.
    [​IMG]

4. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Poo-Bah (2,418) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Busy work week as there were several video conference calls. Everyone trying to cram in everything before the Independence Day holiday week. Got some really good bike rides in and even took out the sea kayak for the first time in a year. Last year , I foolishly attempted a cross- Atlantic kayaking endeavor (not really) and was swamped by a power boat in the bay. I wasn't able to drain the kayak and I floundered for 15 minutes until a good samaritan came and towed me back to shore. Two days after the event last year, a great white was seen feeding nearby on a whale carcass. On today's trip, I loaded airbags in the bow , had the safety horn from my nephew, gave my wife the number for the life insurance agent, financial planner, etc. I stayed much closer to shore this time. Time for a beer!

Today's Special: Extra Citra by Grimm

4.34/5 rDev +2.4%
    look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Canned 6.1, opened 6.23

Recommended by the gal at CBC in Plymouth. She continues to be spot on in her recommendations.

Can poured into a teku

Two finger rich dense creamy white foam cap, very good retention , settles to a big creamy island , some lacings , resting over a hazy orange liquid

Smells like orange citrus, juice, rind

Taste of orange citrus hops, juice, rind

Low sudsing , no hop bite, good flavor

Good beer

I like Grimm, one of my favorite NYC brewers. Grimm, Singlecut and Other Half are the NYC brewers I seek out the most. Used to frequently travel there, they need to get more beers to my neck of the woods

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,183) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Good morning, NBS. Got up, read a little, and headed for a short walk before the heat and humidity combine to make the latter a lot less fun. Opened the fridge to see if I had any beers for today's thread, and this one seemed to be jumping up and down, hand stretched as hard as it could to the heavens, saying, "Me! Me!! Pick me, I'm perfect!!"

I'm convinced Sam and the crew at Dogfish Head had this thread in mind when they decided to brew this beer - we're very inspirational, after all :rolling_eyes:. Whether true or not, Sun-Day-Feels is one of their latest sour ales - a style they seem to want to emphasize more, seemingly stemming from the success of their SeaQuench Ale. This beer also continues the brewery's long held belief that other items can and should be included in beer, explaining the release:
    [​IMG]
    On the DFH site, they list notes for their beers. My full review has been added, but here I'd like to see how it stacked up against the brewer's notes:

Color
    Hazy Straw

I went with bruised peach here - the photos are fairly close to what I am seeing. The head wasn't long for this world, but it didn't fizzle away like in some sours, either.

Aroma
    Fresh peaches, bright citrus, Champagne

Definitely peaches/nectarines and a sweet wine/grape aspect that could easily be champagne. There is citrus, but I wouldn't call it "bright" and I get more sour citrus than say, the OJ from a mimosa.

Flavor

Tart peach, orange, mimosa-esque

I'd mostly agree here - the orange does come out after an initial bite of sourness. The orange has some white grape juice sweetness included and pushes the sour to the side but doesn't eliminate it.

Mouthfeel

Spritzy, tart and crisp

There is a light, spritzy opening, but there is a smooth, thicker sweet feel that is nice in its own right, but is somewhat like someone used too much slightly pulpy juice in the classic brunch drink.

Overall - a pretty decent beverage that isn't trying to be an exact replica the thing it mimics, but does give a fair impression thereof. It keeps a foot in the beer waters as it reaches towards non-beer inspiration.

6. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (4,235) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

[​IMG]

Pours a light hazy amber golden color with a slight head and lacing
    Aroma has fruity hints
    The taste follows the nose with a fruity flavor
    A light bodied decently carbonated crisp and dry beer
    A great Berliner Weisse

#6 VABA, Jun 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  7. SawDog505

Society

[​IMG] Poured into a 13 oz Teku glass not sure when it was canned. Pours a hazy orange with a 2 finger sticky white head that leaves thick streaks of lace with excellent retention. 4.5

Smell peach, ripe melon, guava, lemon, apricot, and grapefruit rind. 4

Taste follows peach, honey dew, guava, lemon, apricot, and mild grapefruit bitterness. 4.25

Mouthfeel is bigger than average, gentle soft carbonation, not dry or sticky, and at 8.3% goes down pretty darn easy. 4.5

Overall I am a fan, excellent NEDIPA. I will be getting more of this one. 4.5

8. VABA

Society

[​IMG]

Pours a clear golden color with a nice head and lacing
    Aroma has bready malt and lemongrass hints
    The taste follows the nose with a pleasant bready malt and lemongrass flavors
    A light bodied very well carbonated crisp beer
    A great Pilsner

9. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Meyvn (1,384) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

Thank you @superspak for kicking things of this morning with your awesome Flanders vintage pour! I need to start hitting my vintage pours after all of my fresh beers are come and gone. I keep saying that to myself, but still go out and buy more fresh beer.

My first new beer today is a new collaboration beer from AleSmith and Modern Times, Cosmic Omnibus.

[​IMG]

This was canned 6/1/20. The description on the can is this beer is a Hazy India Pale Ale with Citrus Zest, released at 6.8% ABV. Here is a further description printed on the can:

Together with our buddies at Modern Times, one of our absolute favorite San Diego Breweries, we've jammed this delicious hazy india pale ale full of massive amounts of citra, enigma, and vic secret hops with a finishing touch of both grapefruit and lemon peel zest. The resulting aromas of bright pineapple, berries, and citrus will hit you like a wave of cosmic deliciousness.

And away we go....

Appearance: 16 oz can, multiple pours into a Modern Times Willi Becher glass. Murky light white orange pour, bright white bubbly head fades quickly leaving off white ring around top of the pour. 3.25

Aroma:
    Light grapefruit aroma, lemon backs. 3.0

Taste:
    Fuller than the nose would lead. Sweetness balanced nicely by dry bitterness. Grapefruit and Citrus lead, lemon follows, light pineapple and mango lingers in the background. 3.5

Mouthfeel:
    Fizzy carbonation lingers throughout, medium body, easy clean finish. 3.5

Overall:
    I like that it is balanced, but the grapefruit citrus lemon taste is muted with the bitterness. This pour is OK, but not a beer I would actively seek for my palate. 3.25

These are two of my favorite brewers in California, the primary reason I purchased a four pack of this pour. It is OK, but if I had a draft pour first, I probably would have taken home something else. I am pleased that there were other fresh AleSmith offerings to take home as well, favorites among the pours I had previously at their most excellent brewpub.

Hope you enjoyed this review, and I'll be back with another West Coast offering later today.

10. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (2,263) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Good morning NBS
    Imagine my surprise when a world class beer from Vermont shows up as an undisclosed extra in a trade from Colorado!
    [​IMG]
    Yes, that's a Heady Topper posing against the blue tile.
    16 ounce CANNED 06/09/20 (19 days ago) partially poured into a Spiegelau IPA glass at fridge temp 8% ABV. The first half of the can pours hefe-hazy in a peachy, golden color with off white head. The head recedes slowly to a rocky 3/8" cap and leaves a little lacing. The aroma from the can is mildly dank, citrus rind and pine. From the glass it's much more dank. First sip from the can is deep green evergreen, earthy, citrus peel and substantial pale malt with no sweetness. From the glass it's similar with the sharp, green lead, but I find it harder to pick up the supporting cast. Bitterness is substantial. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with average carbonation and a dry finish, despite the ridiculous amount of hop stickiness. Overall, excellent. I'm rarely moved by an IPA these days and actively avoid NEIPA all together. This is just a fantastic DIPA. Thank you so much @beergoot!

Of course, my palate is now destroyed, so I may, or may not be back. Cheers all and enjoy the new beer in your glass (or perhaps straight from the can) today!

11. VABA

Society

[​IMG]

Aroma has very bready malt and slight lemongrass hints
    The taste follows the nose with very bready malt and slight lemongrass flavors
    A light bodied very well carbonated crisp beer
    A good Pilsner

12. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (4,089) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

Good morning NBS, I hope everyone is safe and doing well. I am starting my Sunday with Rake Universe of Dark & Diamonds, thank you @Joplamp, it is described as a pastry saison and is conditioned on coconut, cinnamon and vanilla in bourbon barrel. It sounds strange and interesting, and it lives up to that! It is packed with big flavors that come together beautifully. I do like pastry stout but often find them to be so big and sweet that I takes me a very long time to drink them, but this balances out those big, sweet flavors and it makes this a lot easier to drink fast.

4.39/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Thank you Joplamp for this
    500 ml bottle poured into a teku

A- Black with a small mocha head.

S- Sour, cinnamon, bourbon, vanilla, roasted malts, coconut, mild funk.

T- Sour, cinnamon, vanilla, some coconut, some bourbon, chocolate, earthy, mild funk.

M- Smooth, medium body.

O- A really fun and interesting take on a saison. They are calling a “pastry saison” and it has those sweet flavors in pastry stout but it is very nicely balanced with sweet, sour and some funk.
    [​IMG]
    Cheers NBS!

13. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (4,913) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

Good morning, NBS friends and family!

Today's entry reveals a set of back-and-forth expectations for me: Dragon's Milk Reserve - Scotch Barrel Aged, with Marshmallow and Dark Chocolate.

[​IMG]

Dragon's Milk is, for me, an underwhelming BBA imperial stout. It's certainly not bad; the price point is right; and it deserves credit as the first(?) widely available year round BBA stout.

The Reserve Series has been hit or miss. Salted Caramel? Yum! Banana Coconut? No thanks. Maple Oak? Really good, but the primary appeal is that it's a maple BA imperial stout that's more affordable than the vast majority of alternatives - you can get your BBA maple fix without taking out a second mortgage.

Now here we have an interesting idea. First off, marshmallows. Why? What's with the recent obsession over adding marshmallows to stouts? Wouldn't vanilla work just as well - maybe better? That's the impression I tend to get from marshmallow in beer, anyway: if I can detect it, it tastes mostly like vanilla and cream.

Second, Scotch barrels. When brewers age beer in Scotch barrels, then tend to (always?) use Islay Scotch, or a similarly smokey Highland Scotch. I don't think I've ever had a Scotch barrel aged beer that didn't have that Islay-like smoke, and that's representative of only certain Scotch whiskys. (Finding exact numbers is more work than it's worth, but it's a fair assumption that a large majority of Scotch is not smoky and peaty, based on the output of the different distilleries.)*

OK, my biases out in the open, let's dig in!

---

I know it looks lovely, but that frothy dark brown head fairly quickly and inexorably disappears to nothing more than an oily sheen. The nose is quite nice; really, really nice, actually. The Scotch is restrained; perhaps it wasn't aged very long, which isn't inherently a bad thing.

Really lovely on the palate, as well. I take issue with the relative thinness; it's got a feel more appropriate for a stout literally half its ABV. The barrel and ABV, however, combine to give the finish a semi-dry evaporative feel, leaving behind a roasty, Scotchy aftertaste, and really inviting the next sip.

As for the Scotch, the peat is just a hint, really: enough to know it's there, in particular if you're looking for it, but not enough to stand out. If you're not a fan of smoky, peaty Scotch whisky, this beer should still be completely approachable to you.

The same can be said for the chocolate, which is entirely complementary here. Knowing they added chocolate, you can pick it out, but if you didn't know it, you probably wouldn't guess it. It blends with the base beer very smoothly - as does the marshmallow, whose primary contribution to the flavor profile, as far as I can tell, is a higher overall sweetness.

Again, I'm fairly critical as a reviewer, and in particular of Dragon's Milk and the Reserve Series. Critical doesn't mean negative, but I'm not going in expecting a world-beater. Despite that, I find that each sip rapidly demands another; this thing is absolutely disappearing in my glass, and if I can grab a four pack soon, I'll definitely do so.

I fully expected to come in -rDev on this one, as I'm highly critical of the appearance and the mouthfeel (I think people often tend to just bump up or down the appearance score to align with the score they "want" a beer to have; hence, Budweiser looks "terrible," an assessment with which I fully disagree). Yet, to my surprise:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/335/488490/?ba=Roguer#review
    4.17 / +1.0%

Well, one down. Let's see what else is on the docket for today. I've been really slacking on reviewing new beers, with a pace well below my monthly average, but Sundays aren't the best days for me to get schlobbered on new beers (for: reasons). Still, I have a few candidates, and I'm sure I'll be back sooner - rather than later! - with another review.

Cheers!

*Sure enough, the BA website description specifies "A blend of Highland and Speyside Scotch barrels," designed to capture the peaty goodness that people disproportionately tend to associated with Scotch. No confirmation bias required; just a good guess, in this case! :stuck_out_tongue:

14. dennis3951

dennis3951 Meyvn (1,008) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Notti D'Estate (summer nights) a 5.4 ABV Italian Style Pilsner from Twin Elephant Brewing. This is the 1st time this beer has been brewed and it was released to the the public last Thursday. It is only being sold in 32 OZ crowlers. The brewery states this beer in ". 100% pilsner malt layered with Tettnang, Saphir, Saaz, and French Strisslespalt. Dry hopped with Saphir & Tettnang". Twin Elephant is known for brewing excellent IPAs's, APA's and Saisons. They don't brew many lagers. Poured into a pint glass Notti D' Estate like any other Pilsner golden body with a white head. The aroma is strong but not what one expects a Pilsner to smell like. There is some malt breadyness but also citrus and other fruits. The taste is bready malt to start and then the hops take over and the flavor changes as you drink. The mouthfeel is medium The finish is off dry crisp and lasting. Overall an excellent brew very enjoyable. Notti D'Estate is misnamed There is nothing Italian about it except the name. What's in a name an outstanding beer.

15. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (2,382) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

I really enjoyed your review
    Cheers

16. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,379) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

Not to nit pick what you have said. You could try a drop of vanilla or vanilla bean side by side with a marshmallow and see the flavors. I believe the marshmallow to be creamier and sweeter also the marshmallow should effect the body of the beer ? Decadent does various IPAs with marshmallow and vanilla and tbh the vanilla IPAs are kind of sickly sweet as the marshmallow IPAs are heftier and silkier but not as sweet oddly

17. VABA

Society

[​IMG]

Aroma has banana, clove and wheat hints
    The taste follows the nose with pleasant banana, clove and wheat flavors
    A light bodied well carbonated crisp beer
    A good Hefeweizen

18. Oh_Dark_Star

Oh_Dark_Star Poo-Bah (1,693) Mar 4, 2015 Washington
    Society Trader

Breakfast of champions? (cracking my remaining cellared bottle)

[​IMG]free image sharing

4.44/5 rDev +5.5%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L: A foggy warm brown hue. A root beer tan froth pillows on top. Tiny spots of lace. Simply beautiful!

S: Sweet and tart apple cider and pecans. On the off-dry side of the barleywine spectrum. Possibly pear in there.

T: The pear comes through on the palate. A little like a spiced pumpkin beer but far superior IMO. A banana undertone. Complex with leather and tobacco and a little peaty too!

F: Rich and surprisingly weighty for the style.

O: I had the lowest expectations for this beer but I would definitely drink it again when in the mood for something different! I’d love to say I rated it to style, but I’m not sure I’ve had anything quite like it. Thankful to be the first to review this interesting experiment though!

19. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (299) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I have been drinking mostly Lagers and lower ABV beers lately and wanted something with a little more oomph, my after midnight beers:

Half Acre GoneAway IPA - 7%, date on can is 05/18/20. When I try new beers I rarely read reviews so I go in pretty blind and with IPAs this can be a little dangerous, as I will either enjoy it or it will be a drain pour; IPAs are one of the styles where there is not much of an in between for me. Luckily this was really good and I enjoyed it a lot and light, crisp and fruity-ish with a nice bitterness to balance it out.

Three Floyds Alpha King - date on can 06/05/20. They are newer to my area but expensive so I pass on them but seeing a single was nice, as I have always wanted to try their beers. I am sorry to report that I hated it and couldn't even finish it. It's a very old-school APA and has that awful flavor clash that I can never get by: pine, grapefruit but yet also caramel and sweetness and my palate (and nose) despises this combination.

20. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (2,382) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Good afternoon NBS and thanks @superspak for or start today, I was getting nervous!
    We had some time on Skype this morning with #1 son and all is well, we try to keep those gaps to no more that 3 weeks between visits.
    Todays offering is from our dear friends at Hill Farmstead. Self Reliance with German Cascade hops.
    I relly enjoy this series, having had the Nelson, now the Cascade.
    Cheers all
    Self Reliance: German Cascade

Hill Farmstead Brewery
    American IPA | 6% ABV

4.19/5 rDev -3.5% | Average: 4.34
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from the 750 ml bottle (several pours) into the test glass. Bottled on 7/26/2019.
    A - Bright forsythia yellow, a touch of cloudiness, very active carbonation relentlessly feeds a sustained snow white cap.
    S - Funk up front, with some time together, the candied orange rime, lemongrass, oak all slip into the mix.
    T - Starts with that mixed culture and oak blend, add a present and proper hop bite, centered on lovely orange, citrus aspect.Some ruby red grapefruit, and a spicy white pepper all come together.
    M - That water is spectacular, soft start then a bit of acidity and kiss of tannin take shape. Medium in body, some nice mineral threads. A hint of spice in the center but the real winner is the carbonation that drives the texture like a wagon train.
    O - A delightful offering, superbly displaying the single hop, in a different light. With some time spent, the tension between the citrus and the "funkiness" turns more toward a dance of partners. The culture application or time spent in oak are inspired. Delivering a beautiful offering.

[​IMG]

#20 SABERG, Jun 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  21. Reef

Reef Crusader (779) Dec 2, 2016 South Carolina
    Society

Drinking a local kölsch style beer,
    Angry Fish Brewing Wyse's Ferry Kölsch.
    This brewery is less than two years old, and tucked away in an industrial complex. There are lots of new breweries like this in the Carolinas where you have to use Google or word of mouth to find them. Angry Fish is in Lexington, adjacent to Lake Murray, so a lot of their beers have a lake or fishing themed name.
    [​IMG]
    According to their website:

Well, that’s a fishing tale worth telling! While fishing on Lake Murray, one of the brewers hooked a monster catfish with two red eyes. The catfish was put on a stringer (a line through the gills) and the fishing continued with a few more fish added to the stringer. The group decided to take a break and grab lunch, leaving all of the fish on the stringer tied to the dock. Once they returned, the red-eyed catfish was gone! One of the guys in the group said, “Wow, that was one angry fish,” and the name was born.

Can confirm that catfish are SCARY.
    I had gotten positive reports from reliable sources about the beers and stopped in to pick up a crowler last week. I chose Wyse's Ferry Kölsch because it is Kölsch drinking weather.
    [​IMG]
    Well carbonated clear gold with two fingers of white head. Strong mineral and floral scents. Taste is pleasant, less hop brightness than my favorites from Coast and Bierkeller. A good lawn mower or lake afternoon beer, which I am sure is the intention. I enjoyed it and will try more of their offerings.

22. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

Thank you! :slight_smile:

I don't necessary disagree. I suspect the marshmallow should affect the body of the beer - but to know for sure, I'd have to have the same base beer with marshmallow, versus with vanilla. DM is already a relatively thin impy stout compared to its peers, so if the marshmallow is thickening it up in this particular case, it's not showing. :wink:
    (And Prairie, by contrast, often make their massive stouts thick to begin with, so the marshmallow doesn't seem to help in that case, either.)

As for flavor, I again suspect the marshmallow is a bit sweeter, and creamier. That's kind of how I interpret it, and what I think I'm getting. But in most pastry stouts, it seems pretty difficult to tell just how much influence the marshmallow is adding, and adding vanilla might be more direct and impactful.

It's not that I consider marshmallow and vanilla to be interchangeable; rather, that in most big, high ABV imperial stouts, I don't get much "nuance" from marshmallow, and I think vanilla would not only have the same effect, but would be even more effective. But I could also be wrong on that. Picking marshmallow notes out of a double-digit ABV beer aged in bourbon or Scotch barrels might be a losing proposition to begin with. :slight_smile:

2beerdogs, Amendm, MacMalt and 5 others like this.
  23. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,957) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

The good stuff arrives by the circle route :grin: Nice review! Cheers!

MacMalt, Roguer, beergoot and 4 others like this.
  24. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,067) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

Thanks for reminding me how much I miss Really Old Brown Dog!

SABERG, MacMalt, woodchipper and 3 others like this.
  25. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (3,562) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Good Morning everyone!

@cjgiant, Dogfish is not the only brewer doing brunch inspired beers recently. My first new beer today is Beer for Brunch from Off Color here in Chicago which is a mimosa inspired Berliner Weiss with orange and Chardonnay grape juice.
    [​IMG]

Beer pours a cloudy drab yellow color. Thick frothy white head collapses until just a thin layer of velvety foam remains on top of the beer.

Aroma has strong notes of white grape juice, champagne, hints of orange, lemon and a slight tart acidic bite on the back end like a fresh squeezed lemon.

Taste follows the nose with notes of white wine, fresh apple, hints of orange and lemon with a grainy malt note on the back end. Moderately acidic with more a fruit - read lemon - based presentation. Light wheat and grain malt notes peep through in between the array of fruits.

Feel is light, easy drinking, with a bright, but smooth carbonation. Dry finish.

Overall this is a really good beer. The white grape juice and orange really compliment the Berliner Weisse base beer. Off Color's standard Berliner is actually quite a good example of the style and the additions here compliment the base beer rather than changing it to something unrecognizable.

Finally, I just have to say that Off Color's artwork is some of my favorite in the city. Its so whimsical and fun. This can is no different.
    [​IMG]

26. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

I don't like session IPAs. Session Belgian ales - or Belgian Table Beer - on the other hand, rarely seem like a compromise.

[​IMG]

Allagash River Trip is such a beer, along with coriander and dry-hopped with Comet and Azacca. That last bit has me less than enthused, but who knows?

Much simpler than round one, this beer is nonetheless impeccably executed and quite enjoyable. Straight 4s across the board, except for the nose, with is really delightful.

The dry-hop doesn't turn this into an IPA by any stretch; it really does add to the depth and nuance of the brew. The body is quite impressive for a beer that clocks in under 5%; it's kind of the anti-Dragon's Milk in that regard, punching above its weight class. Still quite drinkable.

Looks like a second straight +rDev, but I'm not complaining. Two very good beers today.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/4/398180/?ba=Roguer#review
    4.06 / +1.5%

Cheers!

Pinz412, superspak, JimKal and 25 others like this.
  27. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (299) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Cool story and can art! I have some crazy catfish stories also. They don't get enough credit for how adaptable and aggressive they are. I have seen some absolute monsters reeled in here in PA and saw a gigantic catfish eat another fish being reeled in like a shark can. When I was young night fishing for them and monster crayfish was always a good time.

Roguer, FBarber, ovaltine and 2 others like this.
  28. lordofthewiens

Society

Thanks, Ian, for getting today's New Beer Sunday started.
    My wife and I (and the dogs) just got back from a good long hike. We hiked a loop at Soledad Canyon, new to us. It was a good hike, with some elevation. My wife and dogs negotiated it better than I did, but we all finished in good shape.
    My new beer is one my wife has been wanting me to try. It's one of her favorites, Raspberry Dynamite from Steel Bender Brewyard in Albuquerque.
    A dark pink/red color, maybe magenta. Small pink head, a little bit of lace.
    Raspberry aroma, fairly sweet.
    Sweet raspberry taste, a little tart in the aftertaste.
    More sweet than tart.
    Not bad, but I was expecting it to be more of a sour.

[​IMG]

29. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Meyvn (1,384) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

I thought I had this second pour before, but going through all of my notes I have not. I have been to Firestone Walker's Brewpub near LAX, and really enjoyed the pours, food and fact they put on hockey. I've also had FW in California, Nevada and Illinois before. Somehow I missed having their WCIPA. Binny's had this fresh, so situation rectified. Beer was not refrigerated in the store, but has been since I purchased 8 days ago.

Firestone Walker Union Jack

[​IMG]

This beer was canned 5/26/20 @ 16:13, poured into a pint glass, looks great, and away we go....

Appearance: Crystal clear light straw tan pour, mild carbonation, bright puffy generous white head leaves soapy lacing. 4.0

Aroma: Faint pine aroma. 3.0

Taste:
    Full and bold taste, bitter pine leads, malt backs well. Strong flavor and equally strong dry and bitterness. This is a great tasting pour. 4.5

Mouthfeel:
    Medium creamy body, slightly oily texture, dry aftertaste lingers, nominal carbonation. 3.75

Overall:
    This is a very good WCIPA. 4.0

I'm glad I have five more of these, will seek these out in the future. Not sure if I will try one more today, but I will come back to see if there are any other beers I should consider for future purchase.

Cheers!

Pinz412, superspak, Txex06 and 22 others like this.
  30. mickyge

mickyge Meyvn (1,140) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Good morning NBS'ers
    I'm a little out of my comfort zone as I don't drink sours a lot as in hardly ever. My daughter gave me a 4 pack for Fathers Day so I'll give it a shot.
    [​IMG]

Painted Ladies from Armada Brewing out of Connecticut, the label says brewed and canned by Overshores Brewing East Haven exclusively for Armada Brewing 4.5 % abv 16 oz can.
    Billed as a Sour Ale brewed with pomegranates, cranberries and peaches.
    L/ 3.75 A/ 3.75 T/3.75 M/4.00 O/3.75

Pours almost flesh colored with thin dissipating head

Aroma is sour cranberries and pomegranate

Taste is cranberry forward and pomegranate notes slight peach finish

Mouthfeel is tart on the tongue and finishing with a slight pucker

Overall it wasn't overly sour more on the tart side, fairly tasty and refreshing.

31. eppCOS

eppCOS Meyvn (1,377) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Howdy NBSers, back with a new* one.
    Cumbre's Zuzax (Kolsch style) "ale" Canned 6.18.20 - 4.8%
    * is that I had my first last night, but after a couple of beers so my palate wasn't exactly set at zero for maximum review effectiveness.

This beer surprised me, even though I love Cumbre as a brewery, and about the only thing I could "go after" was the look of this, not the usual light-misty-unfiltered Kolsch look that I prefer. But to each their own....

4.24/5 rDev +6.8%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L - Lovely transparent Kolsch, a little less unfiltered than classic versions, but damn it's clear for miles, Captain! Great bubbles, decent head, minimal lacing.
    S - Bread. Cracker. Saltine, malt malt malt, and a light citric veil of hops await on the nose.
    T - Fantastic full palate impact, not quite a Dovetail mind you, but for 4.8%? Stunningly tasty for this weight. Graceful, almost weightless at times.
    F - Great mouthfeel, carbonation stays lively for 30-35 minutes, no complaints for the style here. A real Kolsch in the mouth.
    O - A fantastic effort at a classic style by Cumbre, well done!

[​IMG]

Pinz412, superspak, ChicagoJ and 24 others like this.
  32. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (2,998) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

[​IMG]Warwick Farm Lemon Shandy

Happy Sunday, BAs. Thanks to all the contributors and original custodians of this thread.

Today’s new beer comes to me from the generous @zekeman17. It’s from a more-or-less local brewery I’ve been very much meaning to try.

Lemon Shandy pours a hazed pale yellow color — like a mellowed out wheat beer — with a huge, rocky white head that dissipates unevenly and leaves thick webbed lacing.

The nose shows lemon, some tartness, a hint of hoppy crispness and what comes across as a wheat-like softness to me, even though I believe they use pilsner malt in this.

It has a very soft and easy-drinking taste with lemony sweetness that’s actually not really tart at all. It’s almost like a Sprite or something, but that’s cut by an element that, again, gives me a wheat impression.

Soft feeling, medium bodied, with low carbonation.

Shandy isn’t a style I turn to often, so it’s hard for me to rank against other examples. This is certainly very refreshing and easy-drinking. Runs a tad too sweet for me to session, but I can see it working well for a lot of folks outside on a hot day.

Thanks, Jeff. Much appreciated. :beers:

Pinz412, ChicagoJ, 2beerdogs and 23 others like this.
  33. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,757) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

They recently came out with another Belgian Pale Ale called Nowaday that's also very good. It's not as hoppy as River Trip but just as quaffable, maybe even more so.

It's great to see Allagash taking the lead in a niche that's been woefully underrepresented for so long.

cjgiant, SABERG, Premo88 and 4 others like this.
  34. Roy_Hobbs

Roy_Hobbs Devotee (407) Jan 21, 2017 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Yesterday I focused on trying to drink some old beer that was lurking in one of my beer fridges. It probably wasn't accurate to refer to it as clearing out the cellar, as nobody ages Hoegaarden on purpose. I find that sometimes if I have a large group of people coming over, I'll buy some more "mainstream" beer, then whatever doesn't get consumed that night just sits in the fridge.

Anyway, that's a long way around of saying that I'm looking forward to trying some beer today that I actually want to drink! First up is this bottle of Foudre Punch by Almanac Beer Company, bottled 12/8/17. The brewer describes it as "Sour blonde ale aged in oak foudres with raspberries, blueberries & cherries". I have generally enjoyed Almanac's beers, but haven't purchased any for quite some time as the price point (I think ~$10 - $12 per bottle) isn't quite worth it for me. Let's see how this bad boy has held up over the last 2.5 years.
    [​IMG]
    4.13/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours a glowing light orange / peach color with no head. You can certainly smell the sour, but it's not overwhelming. Subtle hints of the berries used in the creation of this beer. As with many stronger sours, it takes a few sips to get past the palate shock and focus on the taste itself. This is really pleasing on the tongue, especially initially. While I can't pick up the individual berry notes, I can definitely tell that this was aged with some fruit. If anything, I can taste the cherry. Aftertastes has a little bit of barnyard funk to it, but just a little. Minimal carbonation. Overall this is a nice & balanced, and is hitting the spot.

Pinz412, superspak, ChicagoJ and 25 others like this.
  35. lordofthewiens

Society

Great review! I'll have to see if Zuzax has made it down to these parts.

Premo88, FBarber and eppCOS like this.
  36. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (4,089) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

On to my second new beer today Bearded Iris Wavelenght, thanks @Buck89!
    4.13/5 rDev -2.8%
    look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Thank you Buck89 for this
    16 oz can, dated 6/10/20, poured into a pint glass

A- A hazy golden orange with a small white head.

S- Dank, citrus, tropical fruits, stone fruits, wet grass.

T- Dank, citrus, some tropical fruits, touch of stone fruits, hints of wet grass, a little floral, faint hints of malt sweetness.

M- Smooth, medium body.

O- A little dank for a NEIPA, but I enjoy that part. The wet grass and stone fruit flavors kind of bring this beer down but not to a point that I don’t enjoy it.
    [​IMG]
    Cheers!

Pinz412, superspak, ChicagoJ and 24 others like this.
  37. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (5,848) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Yeah, I want to apologize for that non-CO / southwest beer, but I figure you would understand...:stuck_out_tongue:

ChicagoJ, Roguer, FBarber and 4 others like this.
  38. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (2,867) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

[​IMG]

Weiherer Hopfenweizen, a Hefeweizen by German Brewery Kundmüller (5.2% ABV).

Pours a cloudy, almost hazy, deep golden amber coloration with a large, fluffy, lasting head and slightly visible carbonation. Smells of biscuity malt and equally strong yeast esters of banana and clove and citrus notes of grapefruit and lemongrass.

Taste follows the nose, with a great balance of biscuity malt and equally strong notes of yeast esters and citrus hops, with notes of banana, clove, grapefruit, lemongrass and perhaps just a hint of papaya as well. Finishes with a light bitterness and some estery yeast and citrus hops lingering in the aftertaste. Full mouthfeel with a medium body and medium/strong carbonation.

Quite a nice hoppy Hefeweizen that manages a great balance of equally distinct estery yeast and citrus hop notes, with just a touch of tropical fruit coming through as well, thus staying true to its Hefeweizen roots while adding quite a spritzy and refreshing element that never feels too overbearing though. Very nice, full mouthfeel as well, although perhaps just a tad overcarbonated for my personal taste.

Pinz412, superspak, ChicagoJ and 25 others like this.
  39. SawDog505

Society

[​IMG] Poured into a 16 oz Teku glass. Not sure when it was canned. Pours a hazy orange with a two finger sticky white head that leaves a bunch of thin lace. 4.5

Smell passionfruit, tangerine, apricot, lemon, blueberry, and grapefruit ring. 4.25

Taste follows passionfruit, tangerine, lemon, blueberry, lemon, and mild grapefruit. 4.25

Mouthfeel is pretty big, gentle carbonation, a tad sticky not dry, and at 8% easy drinking. 4.5

Overall this is excellent. Equilibrium Brewery and Bonfire Fan Page well done and thanks Timothy Dutile for this can. 4.5

Pinz412, superspak, ChicagoJ and 22 others like this.
  40. ichorNet

ichorNet Meyvn (1,375) Mar 16, 2010 Massachusetts

Howdy NBS. Few new ones today. Starting off with a nice small one. Photon by Equilibrium. Friday evening, I reviewed this beer's big brother, mc². It was definitely pretty good but not something I'd want to drink more than one of in a session. Heaaaavy body and thick flavors with a higher ABV will do that. This is a more manageable 4.8% ABV.

[​IMG]

Pours similarly to mc² with a deeper-than-expected, opaque body of orange honeyed looking liquid topped off with a retentive but thin-ish head of eggshell-white foam. Spotty lace and solid legs. Not an amazing pour, and it doesn't... look like it's gonna be any more "crushable" than its brother beer. Hmm.

The nose is, well, also similar to mc². Super mango and pineapple forward with some fresh-cut grassiness and the tiniest bit of resin. A bit of melon and orchard fruit as well. Pretty juicy and fairly bright smelling, but with a depth to it that leads to me to believe it still won't really be something to drink quickly or easily.

More melon and berry on the tongue than I expected from the tropical-biased nose, though some mango and pineapple are present here with a touch of papaya. Tangerine and a little grapefruit rind in the finish, with a semi-long-lasting bitterness. Good, round flavor with a moderate biscuity malt, but, again, too heavy for my taste, especially in a sub-5% beer. Carbonation doesn't feel well-rounded either, it's just too thick for me personally. I honestly probably wouldn't seek this one out again, and, even though mc² was something I rated well, it's still likely a one-and-done as well. However, I had Fluctuation last night and that was more up my alley. I'm getting picky with NEIPAs/hazy pale ales, mostly because there are just so many out there, I feel like I can't afford to be like "ya they're all good," even though there tend to be a lot of similarities between them. Back soon with a new fruited sour. Cheers NBS!

Pinz412, superspak, ChicagoJ and 23 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.