New Beer Sunday (Week 802)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by superspak, Jul 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (5,959) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

You nailed it this time!

2beerdogs, FBarber, eppCOS and 3 others like this.
  2. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,832) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

2beerdogs, Txex06, Reef and 18 others like this.
  3. eppCOS

eppCOS Meyvn (1,431) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Back with a 2nd NBS, with a full review
    TRVE's Tunnel of Trees IPA. 7% canned June 5, opened today.
    damn. Damn. D-A-M-N.

4.34/5 rDev +11.9%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L - Doesn't give anything away, but solid head, good lacing, nearly transparent. Classic look to this WCIPA at 7% (not 7.3)
    S - Hiking angrily through a pine forest with mushroom scent and lemon dust in the distance? That's this.
    T - Where ToT truly shines is on the palate - holy moly this is full on bitter; it hits twice, once up front, then malt wave (Troubadour) and then a second whack at the end of the taste when its dry angry hop slap hits you full frontal. Damn this is great bitter, but bone-dry.
    F - Great carbonation, mouthfeel, balance for 7% - old school as hell.
    O - Might be my new fave from TRVE. KEEP MAKING THIS!

[​IMG]

2beerdogs, VABA, Txex06 and 16 others like this.
  4. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,574) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

First try with them. I have some friends that enjoyed it, judging from their posts on untapped, but all were consumed on tap, and reasonably fresh. I think this was just something that had sat on a shelf for a while. This is why I rarely buy IPAs with no date on them.

5. snaotheus

snaotheus Poo-Bah (3,862) Oct 6, 2008 Washington
    Society

Makes sense. I have the same policy.

woemad likes this.
  6. Pinz412

Pinz412 Aspirant (211) Nov 20, 2019 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Greetings, NBS. I'm joining the fun late this week, but after missing last week altogether I wanted to make a contribution today. I hope everyone is well and thanks to @superspak for starting it up today. I had a number of new beers yesterday while visiting my parents, but I wasn't able to concentrate on them enough to share them today. Luckily, I have a number of offerings in the fridge right now that are all new to me. After visiting family yesterday, today was a day to just lounge around and nurse my hangover until this evening. I spent the day watching a webcast marathon of the the last shows that the remaining Grateful Dead members played in Chicago to commemorate their 50th anniversary accompanied by Trey Anastasio from Phish, Bruce Hornsby, and Jeff Chimenti. I was lucky enough to attend these three shows and it's been such a pleasure to relive one of the greatest family reunions I've ever been a part of. It was and will always be one of the most incredible weekend of my life. Especially when looking back now with the current state of things, I feel even more grateful and fortunate to have had an experience like that. Watching this all day made me reach for a beer fitting of the psychedelia I've been entrenched in all day, so I reached for the headiest label I could find.

Equilibrium's Super Fractal Fulcrum Set is a TIPA that uses Citra and Idaho-7 on the hot side and is dry-hopped with Nelson, Strata, and Citra. We don't usually get Equilibrium cans around this area, but last week a local wholesaler got their hands on a few cases. I then followed that up with a mail order that they've only recently started offering to PA. I've enjoyed most of their offerings I've had, but was let down earlier this week with a different triple of theirs that was too sweet and syrupy for my liking. I'm happy to say that Super Fulcrum Fractal Set lived up to their reputation. This beer was a juicy explosion of citrus, mango, papaya, and berry flavor. Most local hazies still pack a bit of bitterness to accompany the juiciness. There was almost no bitter flavor to this beer at all, but it did offer a bit of a subtle grassy note and malt backbone. The 10% was nowhere to be found. I don't think I could drink one of these very often, but it hit the spot tonight.
    [​IMG]
    4.34/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Look - Pours a thick yellow/orange haze with a dense white head. The carbonation meanders to the surface slowly.
    Smell - Notes of mango, orange, and peace are up front.
    Taste - This beer is a juice explosion of citrus, mango, and papaya. Beneath that is an effervescent berry quality to the taste. There is very little bitterness, if any at all.
    Feel - It's very soft on the palate even though it is noticeably viscous. The sweetness is not cloying and each sip leaves you wanting another.
    Overall - A big and juicy TIPA that drinks much easier than it's abv would suggest.

2beerdogs, VABA, woemad and 14 others like this.
  7. zid

zid Meyvn (1,190) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

I absolutely love this. Taj Mahal's version is great. I always wanted to do the same thing with "Bring it on home to me."

I hope she's doing well.

2beerdogs, woemad, beergoot and 3 others like this.
  8. LeRose

LeRose Meyvn (1,447) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society

Thank you. It will be a long recovery involving tons of physical therapy for six months or more. We are taking the long view - short term pain, higher quality of life later. Certainly couldn't continue the way she was.

woemad, SABERG, LeperJim and 5 others like this.
  9. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (3,666) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Congrats man!
    Is that seeing its way to Georgia or did you get it from someone? They just showed up in IL, and I picked up one of their stouts to try. I'm more excited after seeing your positive review of this one.
    German woodruff syrup is not very good, but we have a local lady who makes an all natural, organic woodruff syrup that is very earthy and not super sweet and I love that in a Berliner weisse.
    Get outta here with this bad take - it belongs in the controversial opinions thread. :wink:

10. scream

scream Meyvn (1,197) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

Hoping the recovery goes easy. Best wishes !

woemad, 2beerdogs and LeRose like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.