New Beer Weekend #18

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SawDog505, Nov 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (5,270) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

[​IMG] This is the weekly weekend thread where us self proclaimed beer experts can find a new beer and take our time and not just sip, swig, or swill, but also share with the BA Community how it looks, aroma, taste, feel, and your overall thought on that new brew. Some will post a few, some will post one, but we always have fun. Enjoy your weekend and let’s set a record for the most pages ever for this weekend thread.

Poured into a 13 oz tulip glass canned on 11/03/2020. Pours a very attractive yellow orange with a finger plus sticky white head that leaves thin streaks of lace with excellent retention. 4.75

Aroma pineapple, peach, mango, ripe melon, tangerine, hint of coconut, and apricot. 4.5

Taste follows peach, cantaloupe, pineapple, tangerine, mango, hints of coconut, and apricot really balanced and tasty. 4.5

Mouthfeel is bigger than medium, a tad sticky not dry, gentle soft carbonation, and at 6% it drinks bigger in flavor, but extremely easy drinking. 4.75

Overall this 7th in the series with Amarillo and Cashmere is really tasty. I am almost always impressed with this local brewery and this one I would highly recommend. Cheers all. 4.5

ChicagoJ, 2beerdogs, IKR and 43 others like this.
  2. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (4,182) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Good day BAs! It took a while to find this thread today. Thanks @SawDog505 for getting us started. Today's New Breakfast Beer is:

[​IMG]

A nice Japanese/Irish dry stout:

Otaru Stout from Hokkaido Brewery. Purchased 10/20/20 for $5.82 (Including tax) for 11.2 oz bottle ($ 0.520/oz) from Shangy’s in Emmaus, PA. Reviewed 11/21/20.
    Bottle marked on cap “OB1990 20.04.21”. On room temperature shelf at store and stored at home at 42 degrees. Served at 45 degrees in a hand washed and dried Jester King snifter. Final temperature 52.8 degrees.
    Appearance – 4.
    First pour – Deep amber (SRM 15), clear.
    Body – Ruby brown (SRM 24), opaque. When held to direct light, the ruby is evident.
    Head – Large (Maximum five cm, aggressive center pour), tan, high density with a rocky top, average retention, diminishing to a three mm crown and rocky complete cap.
    Lacing – Excellent! Wide band of tiny bubbles
    Aroma – 4 – Fairly strong roasted malt and sweet lactose. No hops, no yeast.
    Flavor – 3.75 – Begins and ends with a dry, roasted malt bitterness. This lessens with familiarity. None of the sweetness suggested by the nose. No hops, no yeast. No alcohol (5 % ABV, as marked on container) taste or aroma. No dimethylsulfide or diacetyl.
    Palate – 4 – Medium, creamy, soft carbonation.
    Final impression and summation: 4. Decent example of a Irish dry stout.
    Rating 3.9, rDev +5.7%.

And note the cap:

[​IMG]

A call back to a previous discussion.

[​IMG]

So I've now pulled these caps on brews from CH and JP. What other countries use them?

ChicagoJ, 2beerdogs, IKR and 36 others like this.
  3. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,711) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

Howdy NBS/NBW and hoppy weekend to all,

I haven’t posted in this thread in a while but I am back with something fairly interesting. We have been on a lockdown here for three weeks to « flatten the covid curve », at the latest it seems to slowly but surely working. We are still talking 300-400 dead a day sadly.

And here’s the classic Old Rasputin. Well known Russian Imp Stout that I’m about to sip on:

[​IMG]

I poured it into a Founders smaller glass, left a one inch brownish head. Beer is black as expected.

On the nose, strong aromas of dark chocolates and roasted malts.

Starting sipping on it now the flavors of the aforementioned dark chocolate are there, along with oats and an expresso bitter finish.

This is a very thick bodied RIS with moderate carbonation.

Overall, this is no doubt a World class beer that need a slow sipping, enjoying it more as you drink it. Unlike some other stouts like CBS or the New Holland Milk Stout this is not so sweet. The bitter aspect is predominant and overwhelming. It’s totally worth your bucks, euros or pounds.

Cheers, all!

ChicagoJ, 2beerdogs, IKR and 44 others like this.
  4. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (2,556) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Good morning NBW
    I'm on nightshifts for six nights and have seven Belgian Strong Dark Ales in the queue for review. Here's one I ordered online in a mixed pack with the glass...
    [​IMG]
    Brasserie D'Achouffe McChouffe
    330mL bottle BBE 11/2020 poured into a tulip glass at fridge temp 8% ABV. The beer pours medium brown in color, fairly dense with abundant light brown head. The head recedes to an irregular ring and leaves a few streaks of lacing. The aroma is mild featuring toffee, spice and dark fruit. The taste is malty, semisweet toffee with pronounced spice (anise) and dark dried fruit. The finish is dry from the attenuation & spice and sits between mild and moderate bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with strong carbonation. Overall, very good. I like this flavor profile in a dark Belgian beer. Refreshing and drinkable even at 8% with no sign of the ABV.

I've got another Chouffe beer for tomorrow morning. Hoping it will be just as nice:wink:!

Cheers all and enjoy the new beer in your glass today!

ChicagoJ, 2beerdogs, IKR and 44 others like this.
  5. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (3,657) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

Good morning BAs! I’ve been getting a few beers lately, that I’ve selected, from Tavour and here is a beer that piqued my interest - “Snowed In - Coconut” (2020), from Copper Kettle Brewing Co., Denver, CO, a BBA oatmeal stout with coconut added. Sounds like it should be right up my alley - let’s go!

[​IMG]

At 53 degrees, pours black with ruby see through; fast fizzy dark tan head; props for tons of flecks of shaved coconut; poor cap retention, no ring, no lace; no legs. Strong toasted coconut aroma as the 568 ml can is popped open; barest of drive-by sniffs of bourbon as liquid warms. Coconut!, dark chocolate entry; sweet milk chocolate fudge, vanilla and oak; bourbon on backend; did I mention coconut? Medium plus body, fluffy (oats) feel; no warmth from 12.1% abv; light carbonation. Overall, I love coconut stouts that smell and taste like coconut and this beer delivers; tastes like a Mounds candy bar without being overly sweet; there’s just enough bourbon to keep the beer from being a two trick pony; drinks thin for a 12% oatmeal stout, and I would have liked a little more bourbon; otherwise, a delicious BBA coconut stout - bravo!

4.25 | 4.5 | 4.75 | 4.25 | 4.5
    Score: 4.56 rDev +8.6%
    Hard to tell if this is the first review of the 2020 Release #4 version. Anyhoo, a great beer...drink ‘em if you got ‘em...my experience is coconut fades, don’t age, so drink fresh...Cheers!

#5 DoctorZombies, Nov 21, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    ChicagoJ, 2beerdogs, IKR and 42 others like this.
  6. papposilenus

papposilenus Meyvn (1,384) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire

Good morning! Thank you, @SawDog505 for starting things off. I was worried that 9 a.m. might be a wee too early in the day, but then I saw the 5:45 time-stamp on your post and figured, 'pfft.'

I'll have to take a look around later on - like, maybe after I get some chores done, if I get any chores done - but I think that this may be the only new beer I have in the house...

[​IMG]

Spacetime Continuum - Coconut from Tree House
    11.9% ABV
    4.11/5 rDev -3.1%

From a 12oz bottle, undated, purchased at the brewery 11/19/20. Served in a rather fancy *LTM-branded goblet or tulip, I'm not sure which.

Pours utterly black and impenetrable with a feeble little head that doesn’t last long enough to really get much of a look at. There is a creamy, sort of pumpkin-colour collar and a rouseable thin, slippery curtain of lacing. (3.75)

A rich, robust nose of boozy barrel and coconut husks. A little... fudgy, as well. (4.5)

Initial taste impression is of handfuls of white granulated sugar, straight from the bag - which is odd because, on reflection, it isn’t all that overwhelmingly sweet. In fact, similar to the nose, the coconut character comes across more as the husk-y, woody outside rather than the sweeter inside which, I’m guessing, owes something to the barrel. There’s a fudginess and a taste reminiscent of RedHots candy, a cinnamon-like flavour defined and accentuated by the little bit of detectable heat from the booze. (4.0)

Feel is thick and dense nudging up to but not quite crossing the line into being syrupy. Hefty bodied with gentle, barely adequate carbonation - a few more bubbles would have helped the last of the glass go down a bit more readily. (4.0)

There is a detailed, three paragraph-long description of the beer on the label but the print is so fucking small that I have no christly idea what it says. I am not a big fan of sweet, syrupy stouts - which is, in fact, what nearly all TH stouts are - so I was pleasantly surprised that Spacetime Continuum Coconut was only almost-but-not-quite unbearably sweet and syrupy. I bought a few bottles for Christmas presents so I thought I'd best at least try one, and this one had a defective, wrinkled label.(4.0)

[​IMG]

*Glassware courtesy of @TheDoctor who has, apparently, fucked off and found something else to do with his life.

7. SawDog505

Society

[​IMG] Poured into a 13 oz tulip glass canned on 10/15/2020. Pours a hazy yellow orange with a 2 finger sticky white head that leaves thick streaks of lace with solid retention. 4.25

Aroma is papaya, passionfruit, peach, pear, and apricot. 3.75

Taste follows papaya, peach, pear, passionfruit, and apricot pretty well balanced with a little bitterness in the finish. 3.75

Mouthfeel is medium, fairly soft carbonation, a little dry, and at 7% ABV it goes plenty easy. 4

Overall this a nice NEIPA, not dazzling but for the quality and price I will have no problem working my way through this 6 pack. 3.75

ChicagoJ, 2beerdogs, IKR and 33 others like this.
  8. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,778) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

November/Thanksgiving Beers

What do you think when it comes to November/Thanksgiving beers?

Just yesterday my wife asked: what kind of pie would you like for Thanksgiving? I immediately replied: Lemon Meringue Pie! I do love Lemon Meringue Pie. She shot me a ‘look’ and said: that is not a Thanksgiving Pie. Politics.:slight_frown:

Anyway she informed me that she will be making a Pumpkin Pie. That’s cool. I like Pumpkin Pie.

Which brings me to today’s beer(s): Pumpkin Ales.

The past few years I sorta got out of the practice of drinking Pumpkin beers but a few months ago @jvgoor3786 started a thread entitled: Any love for pumpkin beers?

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/any-love-for-pumpkin-beers.645174/

There was a lot of good discussion in that thread which both educated & motivated me to purchase a number of Pumpkin beers this past season. One beer which seemed to get a lot of love was Schlafly Pumpkin Ale.

From the Schlafly website:

“Pumpkin Ale

ABV: 8.0% | IBU: 16

Hailed as one of the best beers of its kind, it’s the reason why fall is your favorite season. Schlafly’s Special Release Pumpkin Ale is well-balanced from start to finish, with notes of caramel and ginger throughout. Fermented in pounds of fresh pumpkin squash and a brewer’s wort and sugar mix before being filtered through a spiced infusion of cinnamon, clove and nutmeg, it turns out exactly how we intend it to taste: like a slice of pie in a bottle.”

Well, the folks of Schlafly do not sound all that humble/modest. What’s that old saying? If you got it flaunt it.

The one Pumpkin beer that I have really enjoyed drinking over the years is Dogfish Head Punkin. It has been a while since I purchased this beer since in the recent past it was sold in a four-pack format at a pretty hefty per ounce price so I stopped buying it. Luckily I was able to find this beer sold as singles so I bought a couple of bottles.

I will be discussing the new to me beer of Schlafly Pumpkin Ale in a side-by-side with an old favorite of Dogfish Head Punkin. Will I have a new favorite Pumpkin beer?

Beers served in small tulip glasses:

Appearance

Schlafly Pumpkin Ale: An orangeish/amber color with an off-white head.

Dogfish Head Punkin: A quite similar orangeish/amber color with a white head.

Aroma

Schlafly Pumpkin Ale: It smelled of pumpkin, very noticeable nutmeg and some cinnamon.

Dogfish Head Punkin: A quite similar aroma of pumpkin, nutmeg and cinnamon. The level of nutmeg was more subdued in comparison.

Taste:

Schlafly Pumpkin Ale: A very pleasing blend of pumpkin and nutmeg. The cinnamon flavor was subdued but good. It has a low bitterness.

Dogfish Head Punkin: It tasted of pumpkin, some nutmeg and a subtle brown sugar sweetness accompanied by some caramel malt flavors. It has a low bitterness.

Mouthfee

Schlafly Pumpkin Ale: Light - medium bodied with an aspect of crispness.

Dogfish Head Punkin: Medium bodied, sprtizy carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall

Schlafly Pumpkin Ale: This beer is excellent. The flavor aspects of the pumpkin and spices are well balanced and play very, very nicely together.

Dogfish Head Punkin: Ditto to the above.

I was sorta expecting there would be a clear ‘winner’ here (for some reason) but for all intents and purposes these two beers are a tie. I suppose I am the winner here in that I have two great Pumpkin beers to drink.:slight_smile:

Cheers!

[​IMG]

@KOP_Beer_OUtlet @rotsaruch @RobH

ChicagoJ, 2beerdogs, IKR and 38 others like this.
  9. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Zealot (509) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Love the glass, buddy! With everything going on, I actually forgot about Funk. Have to get some more of their stuff. Thanks for the reminder.

10. SawDog505

Society

[​IMG] Poured into a 16 oz Nordic pint glass canned on 11/04/2020. Pours straw yellow, with a half finger head that leaves some thin lines of lace with little retention. 3.75

Smell lemon, earthy, herbal, biscuit, pine, and grapefruit. 3.75

Taste follows lemon, earthy herbal hops, biscuit, pine, and a little grapefruit pretty balanced and actually really pleasant, but safe. 3.75

Mouthfeel is crisp and lite, plenty of life, a touch dry, and at 4.6% extremely easy drinking. 4

Overall obviously not normally a session guy, but this one kind of fell into my lap and a nice session for sure. 3.75

11. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Meyvn (1,250) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Thank you @SawDog505 for kicking things off. Some great beers posted already, looking forward to what Beer Advocates across the globe will bring out this week.

Just a friendly reminder to fans of Goose Island's Bourbon County Brand Stout we will conduct an online tasting on Beer Advocate between Friday and Sunday, November 27-29 for all vintages, including the new 2020 release. Hope you can join us, whether for a new to you offering or an old favorite.

My first new to me beer for the weekend is from a Chicago Brewery, Revolution Brewing's Riot.

[​IMG]

Brewer can notes: 4.8% 16 oz canned 11/3/20 @19:27:28. Riot is a Bohemian Keller Pils, an unfiltered naturally carbonated lager.

Riot Bohemian Keller Pils honors the story of Chicago's first civil unrest, the Lager Beer Riots of 1855. Immigrant tavern owners and beer drinkers form the neighborhoods across the city marched downtown to protest the closing of bars on Sundays. As marchers approached the Chicago River, the Mayor ordered the swing bridges closed, trapping the protesters on the Clark Street Bridge.

Online notes: This unfiltered Bohemian Keller Pils features premium malts, Zuper Saazer hops, and soft natural carbonation. Additional information regarding the riots can be read here.

Appearance: Beautiful clear golden tan pour into a large Pilsner glass, bright bubbly white head lasts for a few minutes before settling, carbonation strong at pour and persistent at lower levels throughout consumption. Really good looking Pilsner. 4.5

Aroma:
    Sweet malty hops, bread and cracker, consistent with the style, slight salty back. Strong and pleasant. 4.0

Taste:
    Sweet malty taste, consistent with aroma. Biscuit and bread, on the sweet side. 3.75

Mouthfeel:
    Light body, carbonation fades a few minutes in. Delicate, not crisp as typical with this style. Clean finish. 3.5

Overall:
    This is a nice refreshing Pilsner, taste consistent with the style. This would make for a better Summer release for a light refreshing warm weather beer. 3.75

May check in with one more today, otherwise tomorrow. Looking forward to catching up with this thread and completed reading last week's thread for your reviews and future beer ideas.

Cheers!

2beerdogs, IKR, Amendm and 32 others like this.
  12. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,205) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

Thanks @SawDog505 for kicking things off.
    We've almost finished the first week of our two week "lockdown." Other than no golf, life hasn't been any different. We were already planning on Thanksgiving at home with just us and the dogs.
    My new beer is from Marble Brewery in Albuquerque, a barrel-aged imperial stout.
    The beer is black in color with a very tiny tan head.
    Nice aroma: booze, coffee, some chocolate, some vanilla.
    Bourbon taste, espresso, dark chocolate, vanilla. Late hint of leather.
    A little bit on the thin side, but still an impressive beer.

[​IMG]

ChicagoJ, 2beerdogs, IKR and 32 others like this.
  13. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (5,362) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

Good morning, New Beer Weekenders, both new and familiar! I plan on sharing several new beers this weekend with my partner, including some sent our way by her family in Michigan - which is where we will begin.

Calling back to another thread, I will be using these small tulip glasses. A 12 oz beer almost completely fills these, not accounting for head; they've got to be 14 oz size, max. I find that if you're splitting only two ways, this is a really good size - not unlike using a snifter for a regular pour. There's room for the beer to breathe, but you're still plenty close enough to really enjoy the aromatics.

[​IMG]

First up is Vanilla Java Porter by Atwater. I've had a few Vanilla Java Porters (or similarly named beers), but never this one, apparently. Sounds right up my alley, though! Clocks in at a very modest 5% ABV.

(Also calling back to previous NBW threads, I'm consuming this at room temperature. That's generally how I like my porters and stouts, although slightly chilled is just fine, as well.)

Something about the head just seems off at first glance. It's almost too smooth. Retention, however, is really fantastic.

Nice nose. It actually smells like a fairly straight forward and traditional porter, just with some vanilla along for the ride. It's not a vanilla bomb, either (although I love vanilla, so that wouldn't have ruined the experience for me).

Sadly, it's disappointing on the palate. I'm sure the intent was to create a full-flavored, drinkable porter at a modest ABV, and they succeeded ... mostly. At 5%, it's thin and watery up front, and the flavors just lack any impact. It almost washes away before you can savor much of it.

(This isn't a critique of lower ABV beers; the Reissdorf Kölsch I had yesterday was delicious, as always! This is a critique of how this particular beer comes across, and it's all about the mouthfeel.)

The flavors that are there, however, are quite nice. Like the nose, it's fairly traditional porter, just with some vanilla.

I like it, and I'd certainly drink it again - but I don't love it. If they managed to impart more body, while maintaining the ABV this low, it would be a home run. As it is, there are similar porters - at similar ABVs, in fact - that simply translate better to the palate.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/15280/33336/?ba=Roguer#review
    3.64 / +4.0%

Cheers!

ChicagoJ, 2beerdogs, IKR and 32 others like this.
  14. jonphisher

jonphisher Disciple (375) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

This brewery is new to me, I knew them through my brother in law who used to work with their head brewer while they were at victory. Well my brother in law finally gave me some of their beer to try...it was delightful. East Branch, Der Bach, a kolsch.

[​IMG]

Pours a pretty light pale straw color, nice initial head that left some lacing as it settled. Creamy white head remains as I drink.

Has a very very nice aroma, incredibly floral, lemongrass, white grape and pear.

Taste is honey sweetness, still get a lot of the white grape/pear thing in the taste as well.

Mouthfeel is very nice too incredibly smooth and clean. Really smooth and snappy. Super refreshing beer, nice light body.

This was an awesome intro to East Branch for me. I would happily try more of their beer if I had access. This beer perfectly blurs the line between ale and lager. It’s very very tasty and is gladly buy a six pack.

one more new one later...

#14 jonphisher, Nov 21, 2020
    ChicagoJ, 2beerdogs, IKR and 31 others like this.
  15. JackHorzempa

Society

Inquiring minds want to know: what is the brand/beer style of that beer?

I have only had the pleasure of visiting East Branch one time and I thoroughly enjoyed drinking the 2/3 beers I had there. IMO East Branch is a high quality brewery.

Cheers!

ChicagoJ, 2beerdogs, IKR and 7 others like this.
  16. jonphisher

Trader

Sorry @JackHorzempa i edited you add after I realized the picture said nothing haha

Der Bach a Kölsch

I’ve really wanted to visit them for a while but no time these days. Unfortunately the days of an hour drive for beer are long gone. Seems like a really cool place based on their site. I’d love to visit one day.

ChicagoJ, 2beerdogs, IKR and 11 others like this.
  17. JackHorzempa

Society

Have you tried Von Trapp Kolsch? I bought a six-pack a couple of months ago and for my palate this beer is excellent. And reasonably priced too.

Cheers!

18. jonphisher

Trader

I have and I did enjoy it, however, it’s a style I rarely purchase though. Would be neat to do a comparison of the two if I ever had the opportunity.

19. JackHorzempa

Society

Yes, side-by-side taste testing is the way to go!:slight_smile:

Cheers!

2beerdogs, GreenBayBA and Premo88 like this.
  20. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

We decided we would "walk" our way up: higher ABV, more flavorings. (We've got one step to go above this one!)

[​IMG]

This is Proof Brewing's Coffee Creatures in the Dark, a chocolate sweet stout that clocks in at an even 8% ABV.

As you can see, the appearance isn't encouraging. This would be a sign of things to come.

Flat, watery feel. Not particularly pleasant. The nose is overwhelmed by coffee. While I really appreciate a coffee beer that really embraces that aspect and goes all out, in this case it really dominates everything else. There are faint hints behind the coffee that this may indeed be a stout, and might even have chocolate.

Better balanced on the palate, but strangely. For one thing, it's not remotely sweet. The malt base, coffee, and chocolate all present similar profiles: dark, bitter, roasty. They work together, but the result isn't rich, complex, and rewarding (and certainly not sweet). I'm glad the coffee isn't quite as prominent as the nose, at least.

I don't know; did I get a bad can? Bad batch? The terrible head, poor overall appearance, and flat mouthfeel at least suggest that this couldn't have been what they intended, right? And it's labeled a chocolate sweet stout, but it's not at all sweet.

I can't recommend. It's not terrible, but it's not particularly good. I'm not certain I'm going to finish my 6 oz.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/19672/218074/?ba=Roguer#review
    2.99 / -30.6%

Whoo! -30.6% rDev! Every single rating is above 4.00. I have to think something went wrong here, but this isn't the kind of experience likely to make me want to give it a second chance.

Ch...cheers?

ChicagoJ, 2beerdogs, IKR and 30 others like this.
  21. SawDog505

Society

[​IMG] Poured into a 16 oz glass bottled on 11/10/2020. Pours a slightly cloudy orange with a 2 finger sticky white head that leaves thick gobs of lace with excellent retention. 4.25

Smell is mandarin, pineapple, pine, hints of marijuana, and apricot. 4.25

Taste follows mandarin, pineapple, hints of marijuana, pine, and apricot a little bitterness but well balanced and tasty. 4.25

Mouthfeel is bigger than average, plenty of life, a tad sticky and dry, and at 6.5% drinks a bit bigger. 4.25

Overall a very nice beer, I don’t purchase them often because I am not a fan of the 16.9 oz format and the price point especially. Had to try it and as always a tasty beer for sure. 4.25

22. jonphisher

Trader

I know they never will but imagine 12 oz 12 packs of peeper or mo at a reasonable price. It would be awsome.

ChicagoJ, IKR, GreenBayBA and 10 others like this.
  23. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,843) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

The Kolsch from Jack's Abby's Springdale line is also excellent, if you ever run across it.

ChicagoJ, IKR, Amendm and 8 others like this.
  24. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (4,358) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

Good afternoon NBW, I hope everyone is doing well and staying safe. With going back to full down lockdown it just feels like a good weekend just stay inside, play some video games and drinking beer.

3.9/5 rDev -1.5%
    look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle, dated 10/20/20, poured into a snifter

A- Black with a small tan head.

S- Chocolate, slightly smoky, some graham crackers and vanilla, touch of marshmallows, some roasted malts.

T- Roasted malts, chocolate, a little smoky, some pale malts, some vanilla, touch graham crackers, hints of marshmallow.

M- Smooth, light to medium body.

O- A tasty stout, a little on the dry side for a milk stout. Like a lot of the flavors just wish the cinnamon was noticeable.
    [​IMG]
    Cheers NBW!

25. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,317) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Ok, I think I'll do as @JackHorzempa suggests and do a side-by-side, but not with a Kölsch like @jonphisher had, but with a von Trapp beer. I will be taking their Bavarian Styled Pilsner and putting it up against an "Authentic Bavarian Pils" from Ayinger (which I have had multiple times before).

First thing I noticed is a light haze to the Ayinger beer. It's a pale, straw colored brew with a small cirrus cloud near the top. This could be a little chill haze, time will tell. Either way, the von Trapp beer pours as a more golden color, so a bit darker and with a little less obvious haze.

The head of the American brewer's beer isn't quite as impressive as the import, showing just a little more hesitance in growing but really in being formed a bit more loosely. Ayinger has a little more of a creamy and cloud-like impression to it while von Trapp's falls more evenly. Ayinger's lacing is a bit stronger as well.

[​IMG]

Ayinger has a bready nose with a bit of straw and dry grass. von Trapp's version is a little more grainy, but has a very similar hop profile. There's an odd "softness" to the classic brewer's take - like I want to say Ayinger used a softer water than von Trapp. I will ualify that by saying I am not sure I can explain why I think that and I definitely can't defend it scientifically - it's just an impression or feeling.

Ayinger's feel is easily more palatable to me, as it is observably softer (whatever the reason). There's a firm, but not distracting carbonation. The von Trapp has a more crisp feel, with more aggressive, firm carbonation.

There's a light sweetness to Ayinger's opening - sorta towards a white bread impression. There's an earthy aspect joining the dry grass bitterness, with a hint of bite in back (which seems to be a combination of hop and carbonation). Light grass notes linger.

In comparison, there's a very light toasted bread opening to von Trapp's beer with a bit of a mineral note. Somewhat ironic that I get that from von Trapp, as it's similar to notes I often get from German pilsners in general. The grass note is a tad greener and a little more forceful than in the Ayinger beer (the Ayinger is considerably older than the von Trapp - perhaps by over 6 months). The end and linger has a little vegetal lean away from grassiness.

[​IMG]

Interesting to note the differences in these similarly-styled Pilsners. Considering they're both a specific sub-style, I'm a bit surprised they seemed as different as they did. Sure - I used a lot of the same descriptive terms, but the difference in levels of the similarities, when added to the nuances in each, made them different enough that I think I'd notice the differences even if I weren't having them together.

A fun task, as always. And for what it's worth, I am liking the Ayinger a bit more in this sitting as well as thinking it's a slightly better constructed beer. Wonder if you'd think the same if you tried this :slight_smile:

#25 cjgiant, Nov 21, 2020
    ChicagoJ, 2beerdogs, IKR and 37 others like this.
  26. traction

traction Defender (676) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Society Trader

Does drinking the new 2020 version of a beer I've only had once during its inception in 2019 when it first came out count as drinking a new beer?

2beerdogs, IKR, beergoot and 5 others like this.
  27. cjgiant

Society

Interesting you got some of the smoke from the beer. My senses couldn't find it despite searching for it. I did basically like the beer, though, and agree that it's fairly dry, especially considering the inspiration ingredients. Cheers!

28. dennisthreeninefiveone

dennisthreeninefiveone Initiate (50) Aug 11, 2020 New Jersey

Herd is the Word a 7.2 % DDH AIPA from Twin Elephant brewing. This is the 1st time this beer has been brewed. I would have liked to have had a pint of this at the brewery but wasn't able to so I purchased a 4 pack blind. TE's IPA's are always at least very good often excellent. This one is excellent, The grain bill consists of Pilsner, Pale and Crystal malts. Oats and White Wheat. The hops used are Citra, Strata, Ekuanot. Cryo and Sabro. English Ale yeast is uued, This brew a very hazy gold with a thick and lasting white head, The aroma is tropical fruits with a bit of coconut. Unlike the aroma the grains come out in the taste which leads to a balanced brew. The mouthfeel if full and soft. the finish is fruity and lasting. A fine refreshing brew as was expected.
    In case anyone is wondering the brewery refers to it's patrons as the herd hence the name.

ChicagoJ, 2beerdogs, IKR and 25 others like this.
  29. jonphisher

Trader

Interesting talk of the side by sides. I was thinking it would be fun/neat to creat a thread dedicated to side by side positing as I always think they’re fun to read and fun to do. Good idea? Has it been done before and failed?

@JackHorzempa @cjgiant

ChicagoJ, IKR, beergoot and 12 others like this.
  30. cjgiant

Society

Hmmm... I don't recall ever seeing one. I like the idea and think it might make sense, especially if people could do the same comparison and quote the original/other posters who compared the same beers.

I think the difficulty might be keeping it in the "public eye" (i.e. on the site's main page). Some people (me included) use WBAYDN to post their side-by-sides nowadays, which of course is always there. However, with that, the comparisons are lost to the ages within a day.

ChicagoJ, IKR, GreenBayBA and 8 others like this.
  31. jonphisher

Trader

That was my thought to @cjgiant that so many already get done in this and the other drinking thread that a side by side thread may be pointless/get lost quick.

32. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

Several of us have posted our own side-by-side and blind tasting threads, and people are always welcome to chime in with their own, but AFAIK, there's been no equivalent: "Post Your Side-by-Side!" thread in the style of WBAYDN? or NBW.

ChicagoJ, 2beerdogs, IKR and 7 others like this.
  33. papposilenus

papposilenus Meyvn (1,384) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire

I forgot I had this baby in the fridge...

[​IMG]

Massachusetts just closed the border to us so there's no telling when I'll get back to Tree House again. But, in the meantime, here's an IPA that's so brand-new I just posted the first review...

Thankful, IPA - American
    4.13/5 rDev 0%

From a 16oz can, dated 11/16/20. Served in an IPA glass.

Pours a thick and murky appearing, dull and dirty orange juice-colour with two fingers of pouffy, sea foam-like head. Retention is just OK but leaves a heavy, creamy cap and wads of lacing. (4.25)

Smell is yeasty, bready and fruity. Peach, pineapple and pink cupcake frosting. (4.25)

Taste is in line with the nose but with (despite what the can says) a clean, earthy bitterness that makes me think simcoe. Grapefruit pith, juicy peach, orange peel, woody herbs, a dash of lime. A sort of sour, boozy, grapefruity aftertaste lingers. (4.0)

Feel is bright and juicy, medium bodied with ample fine, tingly carbonation. (4.5)

Overall... erm, another Tree House IPA - not their best, not their worst - but I’d rank it in the lower quartile. (4.0)

ChicagoJ, 2beerdogs, IKR and 26 others like this.
  34. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

New Beer #3, and as promised, I'm stepping things up each round. This is another Origin of Darkness, a series of flavored (and barrel aged) imperial stouts that are all collaborations from Collective Arts.

[​IMG]

In this case, the collaborator is Mikkeller, and the result is an 11.3% ABV bourbon barrel aged imperial stout with almond milk and coffee.

Hands down, this is the best beer of the day, and it's restored my faith in beermanity. It's not the best of the four Origin of Darkness beers released most recently (they tend to come in batches), but it's not the worst, either.

(As an aside, I much prefer the bottle formats, and for a curious reason: the label art has always been fantastic, dark and beautiful, and the bottles show it off so much better.)

Big and roasty, nutty and moderately charred. Restrained sweetness; not remotely a dessert stout. I'm not sure exactly how almond milk comes across in a beer, but the overall effect of everything together is quite a bit like creamed coffee.

The bourbon influence is quite strong, but curiously, it comes across hot and more like neutral whiskey, lacking that certain sweetness I associate specifically with bourbon.

Not the best BBA stout I've ever had, but more than good enough, and a wonderful change from the last beer.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/32763/513634/?ba=Roguer#review
    4.13 / -3.7%

Cheers!

ChicagoJ, 2beerdogs, IKR and 29 others like this.
  35. mickyge

mickyge Meyvn (1,305) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society

Howdy NBW’s
    [​IMG]

4.5. 4.5. 4.5. 4.25. 4.5. 4.55

Poured into a tulip glass yielded a thick foamy head with heavy lacing as it was consumed. Dark chocolate color
    Aroma was deep dark Chocolate and a bit of roast and alcohol
    Taste was chocolate forward, not sweet but as in semi sweet chocolate, some roasted malt and a tick of alcohol
    Mouth feel was kind of chewy, sticky chocolate, and a faint alcohol burn type finish
    Overall it’s a really nice RIS, easy drinking and very appealing
    I’m going back for more and going to cellar some. Cheers

36. jonphisher

Trader

Was just talking about this beer in the Kane thread, right on cue. I have to grab my six pack this year, I’ll have to look next time I’m out. I only have one left from last year.

@DrStiffington

GreenBayBA, FBarber, Shanex and 2 others like this.
  37. SawDog505

Society

[​IMG] Poured into a 16 oz Nordic pint glass not sure when it was canned. Pours a cloudy orange yellow with a tiny little head that after the first sip leaves nice thin webs of lace, not much retention but that most likely is because of my pour. 4

Aroma is peach, mango, pine, apricot, and grapefruit rind. 3.5

Taste follows mango, peach, apricot dominate, with a little pine and grapefruit in rather balanced finish. 3.75

Mouthfeel is medium, not dry or sticky, gentle carbonation, and at 7% ABV it goes down very easy. 4

Overall probably wouldn’t get it again, but still a nice brew. Missing any wow factor for me, but worth a visit. 3.75

ChicagoJ, 2beerdogs, IKR and 26 others like this.
  38. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,817) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Greetings fellow NBSers! A sunny, but lightly chilly, Saturday here in the Fourth Corner. Today is the day we normally would have had our annual Birthday bottle share. Several of us have Bdays within a 10-14 day period, and so we simplify by having one bash, with to around 60 folks and over a hundred brews. But, this is 2020. So about 6 of are having a small cookout/bottleshare, while, at the same time, we're having an on-line share in memory of our friend Lane who passed away from cancer a few months ago, and his birthday would have been this past Monday.

Thanks to @Ozzylizard for this new brew, Fresh Roasted from Lancaster brewing. Nicely peanutty! https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/743/438006/?ba=beertunes#review

ChicagoJ, 2beerdogs, IKR and 23 others like this.
  39. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

Stepping away from stouts for a moment, and going with Life Itself, a vanilla peach Gose sent my way, I'm almost certain, by @jvgoor3786 . :grinning:

[​IMG]

Let's get this out of the way: a vanilla peach Gose (with lactose) is hardly traditional, but that doesn't mean it can't be delicious.

And this one very nearly is. It's quite tasty. Between the lactose, peach, and vanilla, it comes across a little too sweet, and not quite tart enough, but it's close. The amount of peach flavor isn't crazy strong, either. Body is on the medium side.

Overall, this is a really tasty and enjoyable beer. Like a lot of fruited American sours, I feel the "Gose" label (or Berliner Weisse) is just kind of tacked on because the brewer doesn't have a much better option; it's not crazily sour, it's obviously not a lambic, and "Fruit and Field Beer" just doesn't quite cut it. In the absence of a better style fit, Gose is, I suppose, as good a label as any.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/33324/489375/?ba=Roguer#review
    3.71 / -3.4% (2nd full review / only 4 total ratings)

Thank you mister JVG! :slight_smile:

ChicagoJ, 2beerdogs, IKR and 29 others like this.
  40. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (4,358) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

Moving on to another new DFH brew, Costumes & Karaoke.

4.14/5 rDev +4.3%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle, dated 8/28/20, poured into a snifter

A- A somewhat clear copper with a small white head.

S- Turmeric, anise, ginger, cardamom, some cinnamon, vanilla, honey. Nice balance spice and sweet.

T- Ginger, cardamom, turmeric, some vanilla, anise, some cinnamon, touch of honey.

M- Smooth, medium body.

O- A fun cream ale, easy to drink. Very nice balance between spice and sweet. Unique and very enjoyable.
    [​IMG]
    Cheers!

ChicagoJ, 2beerdogs, IKR and 28 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.