New Beer Weekend #186

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DoctorZombies, Feb 10, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,373) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Good morning BAs! This weekend has the Super Bowl and I imagine we will see many familiar beers posted and enjoyed. Let’s not forget to post our new to us beers here…a pic of what you are drinking and a description of the beer…and did you like it and why or why not…easy, right?

[​IMG]

My new to me beer is courtesy of @GrumpyGas - VSOR Select (2024) a “Ryewine blend” ale aged in whiskey and in bourbon barrels for 2 years. Sounds good to me, let’s go!

[​IMG]

Canned 1/5/24. Poured at 57°. Proper glassware courtesy of @GrumpyGas .
    Fast fizzy light tan head vanished immediately leaving no cap retention, ring nor lace; dark brown body with ruby see-through; medium legs at best on swirl. Nose is bourbon, oak and sweet whiskey; hot boozy exhale. Sweet caramel malt entry; bourbon, oaky whiskey, vanilla; toffee and brown sugar on backend. Alcohol burn on tip of tongue; full on face flushing warmth from 15.7% abv; full body; heavy, but not adjuncty feel; light carbonation; dry barrel finish. Overall, a lux beer; layers of flavors, sweet and boozy.

4.0 | 4.5 | 4.75 | 4.75 | 4.75
    Score: 4.65 rDev 0%

A great beer IMO. Thanks Kevin!
    Cheers y’all and have a great weekend!

#1 DoctorZombies, Feb 10, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2024
  2. Roy_Hobbs

Roy_Hobbs Pooh-Bah (2,219) Jan 21, 2017 Connecticut
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Thanks for the kickoff @DoctorZombies.

My first new beer of the weekend is an old can of Conservatory, a Foeder aged sour ale from Speciation Artisan Ales.
    [​IMG]
    3.56/5 rDev -15.8%
    look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5
    Undated can, but I believe this is from 2019.

The beer is relatively unremarkable looking. Mostly pale yellow with some fizzy white head. Excellent clarity. As far as the aroma, I'm not sure if this has picked up some funk over the years or if it always smelled like this, but I'm really digging the light, earthy funk with a lemongrass undertone. It's not in your face, but it smells nice up close.

The taste is almost cider-like, with really clear notes of green apples. Is this supposed to taste like this, or is this a function of 5 years in the cellar? It's not that it tastes bad, just not what I was expecting. Little to no evidence of the foeder aging, which isn't a surprise at this point. Light carbonation and relatively easy drinking .

Overall.....I should have had this fresh!

3. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

New and Improved(?) Stone IPA

A month ago, I started a thread about the ‘latest’ version of Stone IPA:

“It has been several years since I have consumed a Stone IPA. As far as I know that beer then was brewed using a combination of Columbus, Chinook and Columbus hops.

I just watched a video review of this beer by Darwin (see below) and I learned that today’s Stone IPA is now brewed with a differing hop combination. From the Stone website:

Featured Hops: Magnum, Chinook, Centennial, Azacca, Calypso, Ella & Vic Secret”

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/have-you-tasted-stone-ipa-lately.675805/

While I was grocery shopping earlier this week, I strolled through the beer section and six-packs of Stone IPA caught my eye. They had this beer in both bottles and can. I first picked up the bottles (as a homebrewer I use bottles to package my homebrew). I also noticed that the bottled six-pack was a dollar cheaper. Before I placed this six-pack into my shopping cart, I decided to check the date and these beers were bottled in December. I then decided to see how fresh the cans were and they were canned in January so the bottles were left on the shelf and the cans were placed in the cart.

Since it has been years since I last tasted Stone IPA, I doubt that my beer memory here will be good enough to provide a comparative assessment; let’s just evaluate this ‘new’ beer as a standalone.

Served in my Spiegelau IPA glass:

Appearance:

Golden colored with a BIG white head and a clear appearance.

Aroma:

A modest aroma of mostly citrus (e.g., lemon-like) but also some floral/herbal aspects in the background as the beer warms/opens up.

Taste:

The flavor follows the nose with mostly citrus (e.g., lemon0like) flavors but there some floral/herbal as well. There is just enough malt to provide a sense of balance. There is a notable bitterness.

Mouthfeel:

Medium bodied with a dry finish.

Overall:

This beer is good – very good. I enjoyed drinking it.

Is this beer better than the older version(s)? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cheers!

@rotsaruch @RobH @KOP_Beer_OUtlet

[​IMG]

4. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Grand Pooh-Bah (5,825) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Good morning BAs! Thanks @DoctorZombies for starting offf this weekend's thread! Jack, at least you get some Stone over by Philly!

My new Breakfast Beer is also a fairly recent Cellurary bottle, sitting close to the front so it got grabbed - tomorrow's is from a LOT further back.

[​IMG]

30e Anniversaire – from Unibroue. 750 mL cork and caged bottle picked up at Total Wine, Selma, TX, 13/11/23, $15.68 (Including tax), $ 0.926/fl oz. Reviewed 10/02/24 (Review 3242). Note that I use DD/MM/YY protocol.
    Printed on the bottle shoulder in VERY easily read yellow ink “BB 10-05-27”. Stored at room temperature at the distributor, 34 degrees at home. Served at 56.4 degrees F in a hand washed and dried Jester King snifter. The final temperature was 59.0 degrees F (Printed on bottle “Serve at 50-57oF). When the bottle was opened, the cork came out with a loud “POP” and the aroma of maple syrup.
    Appearance – 4
    First pour – Medium Amber (SRM 12), slight haze.
    Body – Brown (SRM 20), opaque. Under direct light, same. When rear-lite, light penetrates at the bottom edge – amber.
    Head - Large (Maximum 6.5 cm, aggressive center pour), wheat, high density but quickly developing holes, fizzy, short retention, dropping to a jagged 0.5 – 0.9 cm crown and a rocky complete cap.
    Lacing – Poor. Just a few tiny dots left behind.
    Aroma – 4.5 – Maple syrup. No yeast, no hops, no malt, no alcohol (10 % ABV as marked on the label).
    Flavor – 4 – Begins sweet (but not cloying) with maple syrup. No yeast, no hops, no roasted malt. No dimethylsulfide or diacetyl. No ethanol. A mild gastric warming occurs.
    Palate – 3.5 – Medium; somewhat syrupy; soft carbonation.
    Final impression and summation: 4 Fortunately I love maple syrup – I’ve been known to chug it. Unfortunately, the only thing I can taste or smell in this beer is maple syrup – no dark fruitiness, no alcohol, no roast malt, no alcohol, no spiciness, no alcohol. For me, this is a one trick pony, but fortunately it’s turning a favorite trick!
    Rating 4.07, rDev -2.4%

5. Mdog

Mdog Pooh-Bah (2,245) Jan 7, 2004 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society

Parish Ghost in the Machine
    [​IMG]

Appearance: Cloudy orange-yellow, huge puffy head.

Smell: Starts with stinky socks, evolves into mild citrus.

Taste: Moderately sweet, creamy, orange creamsicle. Soft feel, very low bitterness.

Overall: I've seen this around the Twin Cities and on Beer Advocate but finally picked up a 4 pack since it was canned 19 days ago. Very nice NE-style DIPA, no hop burn, just sweetened orange and soft feel.

6. MutuelsMark

MutuelsMark Grand Pooh-Bah (3,003) Jan 23, 2015 Kentucky
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Like most Hazy IPAs, best when fresh. Ghost is my wife's favorite beer! Enjoy!

augustgarage, Roguer, MacMalt and 7 others like this.
  7. Roy_Hobbs

Roy_Hobbs Pooh-Bah (2,219) Jan 21, 2017 Connecticut
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm going back to the well with another ~5 year old sour ale from Speciation Artisan Ales, courtesy of a former BA member who was my first sender in the Newbies BIF many moons ago. This is Incipient - an open fermented sour ale with blackberries.
    [​IMG]
    look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75
    Canned in 2019 (maybe 2018, but I think it was 2019)

Nice looking beer. Plenty of head on the pour, and a really nice orange / red color to the beer. Excellent clarity. Earthy funk on the nose, with what I assume but can't definitively identify as the blackberries adding an interesting dimension to the aroma.

I have a high tolerance for sour beers, but this one managed to hit me hard. The first few sips overwhelmed the palate with puckering sourness that overrode any other flavors trying to sneak through. That said, once my palate adjusted there's a really nice herbal funk to this, with the blackberries still clearly identifiable. While it doesn't make any sense, there's almost a very faint smokiness deep into the finish. Light and refreshing.

Overall, enjoying this one quite a bit. It has held up better than expected.

8. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

Bob, is Stone unavailable in western PA?

Cheers!

MacMalt, beergoot, Whyteboar and 3 others like this.
  9. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Grand Pooh-Bah (4,073) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Thank you for opening the thread this morning @DoctorZombies ! I have your beer slated for later this month, nice generous trade/gift from @GrumpyGas !

My plan of attack this weekend are back to back beers from one of my favorites breweries from Chicago. They don't distribute beyond Illinois, but their taproom is awesome and they brew great beers across many styles. Revolution and Hop Butcher For The World round out my top three within city limits circa 2024.

Spiteful has a barrel aged program, but a much smaller space than the bigger brewers have to work with. They range from very good to excellent.

Both weekend beers are barrel aged milk stouts released last Fall. Will go with the chocolate version today, and the chocolate raspberries version tomorrow. They brew a non barrel aged version of both beers I enjoy.

Spiteful Brewing Barrel Aged Mrs. O'Leary's Chocolate Milk Stout

[​IMG]

Can Notes:
    Purchased two cans 12/15/23 for $13.78 each, refrigerated thereafter until this morning. 12 oz canned 12/4/23 at 2:28:59 PM, 12 % ABV. Brewed with chocolate malt, midnight wheat and lactose. Artwork by Chris Murphy. Brewed + canned at Spiteful Brewing, 2024 W. Balmoral Ave., Chicago, Illinois.

2023: Milk stout brewed with lactose and aged in Four Roses bourbon barrels for 4 years, and finished with chocolate.

Appearance: Poured 10 oz to start into my 12 oz snifter. Nice rich dark tan head lingers briefly before running to cling to the side. Steady carbonation floats to the top, minimal cover over the pitch black base. 4.25

Aroma:
    Let this sit for 15 minutes to properly warm. Getting a very sweet aroma to start, milk chocolate and as this warms, the bourbon gets a bit stronger but still lingers well behind the sweet milk and chocolate, with fudge passing up the bourbon. 4.0

Taste:
    Consistent with the aroma, very sweet chocolate milk and chocolate fudge base. The lactose base, followed by a very smooth bourbon, which after a half hour the bourbon scores the equalizer and transforms this from a too sweet concoction to a nice balanced barrel aged milk stout. Well done Spiteful! 4.25

Mouthfeel:
    Carbonation heard more than felt, Creamy sweet base, plus medium to full body, drinks under the ABV. Nearing room temperature this has the proper balance I appreciate, especially considering the added lactose and chocolate. Getting a nice smooth bourbon milk sugar finish. 4.5

Overall:
    This is brewed as advertised, a solid milk stout accentuated by chocolate that the bourbon adds balance and very enjoyable flavors for my palate. I need to extend my standard 15 minute waiting period from refrigerator to first sips to perhaps 20 to 30 minutes to start at the proper mark. Drink this too fast, and you lose what Spiteful intended. Nearly always very pleased with Spiteful's Barrel Aged program, and this is no exception. 4.25

Pulled the first of four Raspberry Paczki I purchased this morning after finishing my taste notes and it was delicious side by side. Would likely be overkill tomorrow with the Raspberry infused version of this beer on the agenda.

Cheers!

10. DoctorZombies

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

My local watering hole had it on tap this past week…keg kicked in 4 days. Good stuff!

11. DoctorZombies

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Another new beer courtesy of @GrumpyGas - Hopewell Brewing Company, Chicago IL, “Certified” a Czech-style Dark Lager (Tmavé):

[​IMG]

Pours deep amber/brown with very good clarity; khaki head with excellent cap retention, heavy ring and soapy lacing. Floral hop nose. Toasted malt taste; almost sweet, still with a bitter Saaz hop bite; cereal ending, like puffed wheat cereal. Medium light body, moderate minus carbonation. Overall, crisp and clean; very enjoyable.

4.75 | 4.0 | 4.25 | 4.0 | 4.0
    Score 4.15 rDev +1.7%

A solid beer that I would gladly drink again. Thanks Kevin!

12. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Grand Pooh-Bah (5,891) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Cloudy and cool this morning. Dogs walked and grocery shopping done. Time for some beer and some college basketball.
    Today's new beer is Mist on the Oaks from Clown Shoes. It is an "imperial stout aged in bourbon barrels and rum barrels." It has an ABV of 10%.
    The beer is black in color with a small tan head that disappeared quickly. No lace.
    Aroma of roasted malt, dark fruit, vanilla. Boozy.
    Lots going on in the taste. Chocolate, a little coffee, vanilla. Bourbon and rum, with the bourbon lingering.
    Alcohol is noticeable, and complimentary. Smooth.

[​IMG]

13. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

Reads very tasty!

You might want to also discuss this beer in the Czech Dark Lager thread?

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/czech-dark-lager.671970/page-9

Cheers!

augustgarage, Roguer, MacMalt and 7 others like this.
  14. Whyteboar

Whyteboar Grand Pooh-Bah (3,200) Jun 7, 2008 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Thank you @DoctorZombies for kicking off this weekends edition of NBW!

I come today with a beer I *just* reviewed today but it's 7 years old and whether age or my tastes having been assaulted by a multitude of BA stouts from around the world, or both, It's still good but not as amazing as I thought it back then.
    [​IMG]
    Found a couple bottles of this in my cellar; they have dates of 12/11/2017 on them. Don't normally rate retired beers but this is one I *should* have rated years ago.
    This one was the epitome of stouts back 10 years ago for me, when all the craft beer I could get was at my local Meijer's store and I shared it with anyone who might be interested as I thought it was so good.
    Fast forward to now, when I've had my eyes opened to an amazing world of beers by astoundingly generous BIF senders (and I can only hope I sent as good as I got) and this is no longer the epitome - of course, it may be because it's 7 years old, I'm certain it's lost a step since then. Anyway, here we go:
    The bottle opened with a very light hiss, and I mean light. The pour was straight into the middle of the snifter in an attempt to generate some carbonation but what little showed up went pretty quickly. Ah well, my bad for sitting on this so long - I kept wanting to do a vertical but never saw it past 2017.
    The taste still has a little malt char and a ton of dark fruits, the figs, the raisins, the sweet cherries. Some coffee and cacao were present, but this is all about the dark fruits now.
    The feel, well, again, for the age, not bad at all, in fact, pretty darn good - a slight viscosity which left traces down the glass - not the head, but the beer itself.
    OA, I still have very fond memories of sharing this beer with friends, but it's time to let them go.

Now, the interesting thing from today's trip to the brewery - they are releasing very soon an "Eastern European Imperial Stout" that *isn't* a Dragon's Milk variant. Night Tripper reborn? Who knows.

15. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,721) Jul 4, 2005 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society

Been wanting to try that one, Parish does ship some of their brews to Ohio now but just haven't pulled the trigger yet to buy anything from them. Cheers!

Whyteboar, MacMalt, beergoot and 3 others like this.
  16. bbtkd

bbtkd Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,326) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Side-by-side! Unpeated on the left, peated on the right.

Lupulin Sword Maiden Scotch BA Imperial Porter, 11% ABV. Pours thick and black with a one-finger light-brown head that left no lacing. Aroma is smoke, bourbon, maple syrup, and chocolate. Taste is scotch, maple syrup, chocolate, smoke, moderately sweet, slightly bitter, no burn. Decent mouthfeel, overall world class.

4.52/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Lupulin Sword Maiden Scotch BA Imperial Peated Porter, 10.8% ABV. Pours thick and black with a one-finger light-brown head that left no lacing. Aroma is smoke, bourbon, maple syrup, chocolate, and peat. Taste is scotch, maple syrup, chocolate, smoke, peat, slightly sweet, slightly bitter, no burn. Decent mouthfeel, overall world class.

4.46/5 rDev -4.5%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

OK, I know I'm supposed to to say the peated version is better, but when it came right down to it, I preferred the smell of the unpeated. I don't hate the peat, it's just that it cloaks the smell of the other ingredients. Both are outstanding. I also rediscovered that I'm not a big fan of smoke. Without that I would have rated these even higher. Note that the two glasses are the same brand and model, but look how different they are due to being hand-blown. One is taller, the other is wider.

[​IMG]

17. shkin

shkin Maven (1,281) Feb 6, 2011 New York

I had mixed experience with BBCO beers — the IPAs were nothing special, while a few lagers were barely drinkable. Nevertheless, I didn't hesitate to buy a few cans of Barista Double Coffee Porter at a deep discount assuming that this style is hard to fail. It would at least taste like coffee. I was correct in the assumption — this porter does taste like coffee, smells like coffee, and drinks like an espresso. It is not too sweet either, and the alcohol is well hidden. A delightful afternoon sipper beer.

[​IMG]

18. GreenBayBA

GreenBayBA Grand Pooh-Bah (4,081) Aug 30, 2015 Wisconsin
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Central Waters Brewing Twenty Six. Their annual anniversary barrel-aged stout. I did have a pour of this beer at the anniversary party, but I drank it like a shot, knowing I had a lot of other beers I wanted to try. I will take my time with this one. The look is pitch black, with thick brown foam, which disappeared immediately. The smell is medicinal. There is a light chocolate, vanilla, and bourbon odor. It is not as appetizing as I would like. The taste is dark chocolate, cough syrup, and... that is about it. The mouthfeel is thin, syrupy, and harsh. Not good. Overall, my first taste of this beer on tap was not favorable. This confirms it. This is the worst Central Waters Brewing barrel-aged beverage I believe I have experienced. All the Central Waters Brewing Twenty Five releases were outstanding. What happened with this beer?

#18 GreenBayBA, Feb 10, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2024
  19. GreenBayBA

GreenBayBA Grand Pooh-Bah (4,081) Aug 30, 2015 Wisconsin
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Tree House Brewing Curiosity One Hundred Thirty Eight. An American IPA. Courtesy of @azuelke. I need this after my first beer of the day. The look is murky honey/sunflower dark yellow. There is a thick off-white foam roof. The can art is absolutely phenomenal. The smell is grapefruit, mango, lemon, starfruit, and white toast. The taste is grapefruit, banana, lemon, and lime, with a buttery finish. The mouthfeel is soupy, thick, full, and smooth, with light-medium carbonation. Overall, this is a very delicious American IPA. Tree House Brewing never fails. After my experience being disappointed with a highly-anticipated Central Waters Brewing beer, this beer saved the day for me. @Mdog, after this beer, I have the same batch of Parish Brewing Ghost in the Machine that you experienced. I love that beer!

20. woodchipper

woodchipper Grand Pooh-Bah (3,311) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Weather in the 50s so we're outside at the fire pit. Trying out a new Pilsner from Tree House. This is my highest rated beer in months.
    [​IMG]
    4.54/5 rDev +5.6%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5
    Packaged in a 12-oz can simply stamped “WINTER 2024”. It was purchased at the Charlton location 2-days ago. Poured to a Pils glass at fridge temp.
    It has a very clear light gold body with magic bubbles rising throughout the session. A decent puffy ultra-white head sits above. Lacing is nice also.
    The aroma is fairly sweet and a little musty but nice. Common bread and pepper notes are not there.
    Taste is floral and the sweetness in the aroma turns to a pleasant bitterness on the finish.
    The body is light with mild oiliness. Carbonation is a little over medium.
    This is a supper easy drinker. I could see this as a great summer activity beer. Not sure it will be around though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.