New Beer Weekend #19

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by eppCOS, Nov 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (3,580) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

[​IMG]

Põhjala - Cowboy Breakfast

Imperial Stout with black currants, coffee and chilis aged in Bourbon barrels from Estonia (12.5%).

Pours a pitch-black coloration with a small, fluffy head. Smells of roasted, caramel malt, a strong black currant aroma and lighter chocolate and coffee, with just a hint of vanilla, chili and charred oak also coming through.

Taste is a great balance of roasted, caramel, slightly peated malt, black currant, dark, bitter chocolate and coffee, with lighter notes of vanilla, chili peppers and just a hint of tobacco smoke, licorice and bourbon-soaked oak. Finishes with a light/medium bitterness and some black currant, chocolate and coffee lingering in the aftertaste. Full mouthfeel with a medium/rich body and medium carbonation.

While this a very enjoyable Bourbon-barrel-aged Imperial Stout with a strong black currant presence and good chocolate/coffee notes, as well as nice barrel presence of vanilla and musty oak, I would have loved for the coffee and chili additives to come through a bit more strongly here, which kinda remain in the background a lot more than I would like. Overall, I'm kinda torn on this one; while you could argue that it has a rather nice and mellow balance of flavors going on, it's not quite bold enough for my personal expectations, with the coffee being rather subtle and the chili hardly noticeable at all, although the black currant does come through very distinctly here.

2. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Poo-Bah (2,762) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Cafe Deth by Revolution Brewing

4.49/5 rDev +2%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz can poured into a snifter

[​IMG]

Canned 10.13, opened 11.28

One finger creamy taupe foam cap over a dark brown cola liquid , settles to a thin layer , no lacings

Fragrant aroma on the pour of coffee, chocolate, caramel

Taste is chocolate, coffee, very slight char, roast malts, caramel, bourbon

Bourbon flavor but with no heat,medium sudsing medium mouthfeel, not syrupy, 14% abv well hidden

Good stout

3. scream

scream Meyvn (1,363) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

Sorry things did not work out for you empoyment-wise. Hopefully something will very soon ! Good luck !!

4. zid

zid Meyvn (1,267) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

What was the beer? (Your pic doesn’t show up for me.)

5. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (4,426) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Cross posting from the BCBS tasting this weekend. I finally picked up some BCBS 2020 bottles and decided to crack this one first. I only bought one bottle since I really wasn't sure if I'd like it or not.
    [​IMG]
    2020 Bourbon County Kentucky Fog Stout

Pours pitch black, oily and viscous. Initially, there is a one finger mocha colored head that forms on the beer, but that dissipates rather quickly leaving just a residual ring of foam along the outside of the top of the beer.

The aroma is like pungent fresh brewed earl grey tea. Strong notes of orange citrus, fresh shaved orange rind, floral notes, bergamot, black tea - these dominate the aroma. Underneath that there is a light roasted malts, cocoa and some musty, oaky bourbon. Its pretty much as advertised - bourbon county stout with early grey tea ... that being said, I am a bit surprised at how strongly the earl grey notes dominate the nose.

Taste follows the nose with notes of orange citrus, orange rind, bergamot, floral notes, black tea, bourbon, and oak. Although I really did not get much in the way of honey on the nose - there is a distinct sweetness from the honey in the flavor profile. Reminiscent of an orange blossom honey providing a moderate sweetness to the beer. Again the barrel character is dominated by the earl grey notes.

Feel is oily, slick, medium to full bodied. Spritzy carbonation.

Overall I've spent an hour and a half sipping this one and I'm about done and I have no idea if I like this one or not. I will say, its unlike any variant GI has ever produced. It is as advertised - an earl grey tea stout - and it accomplishes that masterfully - but I think one bottle of this will be enough for me.

6. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Meyvn (1,293) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois

Thank you for kicking things off today, @eppCOS ! I definately want to hunt down the WCIPA you reviewed.

Late start for me this NBS 822 / NBW 19. Thought about pulling out 1 or 2 new BCBS's to me before deciding to drink the oldest bottles I have. Likely only one for this Sunday and weekend, this one from local brewer Haymarket Beer Co., Oscar's Pardon. While I have had several drafts from this brewery, I believe this is only my second canned offering (their excellent BA stout Clare's Thirsty Ale the other).

[​IMG]

Can Notes: 4.5% 12 oz canned on my birthday, 6/1/20. I believe these are brewed and canned at their Bridgman Michigan brewery. Purchased 11/28 at Binny's ($1.66 + $0.19 tax).

Appearance: Slightly foggy golden tan pour, prevalent carbonation throughout, soapy full head leaves light lacing after receding several minutes in, good retention. 4.0

Aroma:
    Nice complex belgian style aroma, banana and lemon leads, cinnamon, citrus, pear, and cracker back. Nice inviting aroma. 4.25

Taste:
    Firm taste, bitter, consistent with aroma. Banana and lemon leads as with the nose, pear, cracker and pepper back well. Get some sweet floral and citrus notes, the pepper yeast provides a spicy contrast resulting in a very balanced offering. Full flavor, especially in light of the lower ABV. Well brewed offering. 4.0

Mouthfeel: Fizzy carbonation persistent throughout, no drop off after six months. Light medium body, balanced taste, clean crisp finish. 3.75

Overall:
    This is a well crafted Belgian Ale. Full of flavor despite the low ABV, complex aroma and taste. Haymarket is a very good brewer, and I look forward to coming across this fresher the next time I'm shopping for a Belgian Pale Ale. 4.0

Need to catch up on the threads after a busy day. Cheers!

7. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (2,659) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

Hello Late Night NBW

I bring you Late Popped South By Northwest a strong ale from Widmer Bros.
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/8/85106/?ba=2beerdogs#review
    I consider this "accidentally cellared." The Mrs and I have been working around the house. Lo and behold, look what I forgot to drink. Well, not bad. Chalk another bottle up to cellar reduction. I think it's from 2012.

Deep mahogany hue. Initial foam dissipates promptly. Zero lacing.
    Nose hints gently at chile peppers, caramels, pecans, and mild roast.
    All in all, a lot of flavors waltz around this one. All are fairly subdued and patient, taking turns. Baking chocolate, slightly green chile with only a hint of past heat, pecan, date, and mild coffee roast.
    Mouthfeel is medium, minimal carbonation but after 8years, I'm ok with that. No alcohol warmth. Smooth.
    Overall, I suspect this has mellowed a bit on the spice, but I find it quite enjoyable.
    3.7/5 rDev -4.4%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

8. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (5,502) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

[​IMG] Poured into a 16 oz Nordic pint glass canned on 11/04/2020. Pours clear orange amber with a half finger sticky off white head that leaves some thin lines of lace with solid retention. 4.25

Aroma is rye, caramel, pine, biscuit, apricot, and grapefruit rind. 3.75

Taste follows rye, biscuit, tangerine, caramel, apricot, and a shot of grapefruit in the slightly bitter finish. 3.75

Mouthfeel is medium, plenty of life, a tad dry, and at 6.5% ABV it goes down that way and pretty easy drinking. 4

Overall this is a solid IPA, just a tad malty for me these days. Still glad I got to try a can. 3.75 Cheers and enjoy your Sunday all.

9. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,092) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

It was Samuel Smith Welcome Back Ale. The traditional winter warmer.

10. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (4,285) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Good day BAs! Well, for the NBS portion of NBW, here's the last beer from the New Beer Four-pack:

[​IMG]

KBS Maple Mackinac Fudge from Founders. Purchased 11/17/20 for $28 (Including tax) for four-pack of 12 oz bottle ($ 0.583/oz) from Franklin Beer, Franklin, PA. Reviewed 11/29/20.
    Rear label marked “Bottled on 10.02.20”. On room temperature shelf at store and stored at home at 42 degrees. Served at 54.6 degrees in a hand washed and dried Jester King snifter. Final temperature 60.6 degrees.
    Appearance – 4.
    First pour – Brown (SRM 20), hazy.
    Body – Black (SRM 40), opaque. When held to direct light, same.
    Head – Large (Maximum six cm, aggressive center pour), sandy brown, high density, average retention, diminishing to a four mm crown and an umbonate cap. Second pour produces a four mm head.
    Lacing – Very good. Wide regular band of extremely tiny bubbles with rare small ones thrown in.
    Aroma – 4.25 – Initially heavy chocolate fudge with a little coffee at the end, no hops, no yeast. Weakens but lasts the entire glass. As it warms, a bit of vaporous ethanol and maple at the end. NO BOURBON, no oak.
    Flavor – 4.25 – Coffee, no hops, no malt, no yeast. Barely noticeable bitterness but NO BOURBON. Absolutely no alcohol (11 % ABV, as marked on container) taste, although a marked gastric warming does occur. No dimethylsulfide or diacetyl. Ends slightly sweet, possibly from maple.
    Palate – 4.25 – Full, almost syrupy, soft but lively carbonation.
    Final impression and summation: 4.25 Delicious fudgy coffee, weak on maple and lacking both bourbon and barrel. Alcohol is initially well hidden but seems to become a little harsher as it warms. It could stand on its own, without the “KBS” tag, and be an excellent addition to Founders beer menu.
    Rating 4.24, rDev -6.6%.

11. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (5,502) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

[​IMG] Poured into a 16 tulip glass canned on . Pours near jet black with a 2 finger brown head that leaves thin lines of lace with amazing retention. 4.75

Aroma starts with blackberry, raspberry, dark chocolate, and hints of vanilla. 4.5

Taste follows the berries hit first, dark chocolate, and vanilla really balanced not overly fruity and sinfully delicious. 4.5

Mouthfeel is big, perfect carbonation, not dry or sticky, and at 11.9% it is far too drinkable and that is not a complaint at all. 5

Overall this is a special Imperial Fruited Stout, that seems a little one dimensional but is so well crafted you don’t care. This local brewery has stepped up this series to a very high level. 4.5

12. Pinz412

Pinz412 Zealot (510) Nov 20, 2019 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Greetings, NBS fam. This is a cross-post because I've been enjoying the BCBS tasting going on this weekend. I hope everyone is doing well, and enjoying their new beers. My first review there was a 2019 bottle of the base that I'd had once before just after it's release. That review obviously isn't relevant here, but I did pick up one of the variants. Last night I opened up a bottle of Special #4, a barrel-aged oatmeal stout brewed with coffee and maple syrup.

It poured the usual jet black color topped with a fizzy one cm head that quickly dissolved into a slight crown. The aroma on this one was interesting. After the initial pour the coffee was the biggest standout. It was akin to walking into a high end coffee roaster. This was not the aroma of brewed coffee to me, but that of whole beans. The bourbon was subtle on the nose throughout, but the maple made itself known as the glass warmed. Because the bourbon took a bit of a back seat, the roasted malt of the stout was more prominent than in other iterations I've tried. The taste showed the coffee had a bit more restraint, but had a beautiful dark roast flavor on the finish. The bourbon was more noticeable on the palate than the nose. It offered some vanilla, and the barrel offered a good deal of char. The maple was subdued, but offered a nice sweetness. The label mentioned some blueberry flavors, but I found those only sporadically. I sometimes notice those same notes in different coffees. It was similar to those notes, and not the taste of fresh, sweet blueberries that some may expect. The mouthfeel was a medium body with a slick finish. This was was not as chewy as the base or other variants. Overall, I very much enjoyed this bottle. I think when you essentially describe a breakfast stout on the label, that some drinkers will have very specific expectations of this beer that won't be met. Special #4 is instead an exercise in balance and restraint to me. I would happily drink another bottle of this.
    [​IMG]

ChicagoJ, 2beerdogs, Reef and 26 others like this.
  13. mickyge

mickyge Meyvn (1,390) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society

2019 Bourbon County Mon Cheri
    [​IMG]

Pours dark Brown with a quickly dissipating 1 inch head into a Stout glass at about 50 degrees
    Aroma is cherry up front with some roasted malt and a hint of bourbon
    Taste is cherry followed by a crunchy sweetness and slight bourbon notes
    Mouthfeel is full and chewy. Low carbonation and smoothish finish, really hides the alcohol, slight to no alcohol burn. There is a lingering stickyness.
    Overall it’s a tick sweeter then most stouts but not on the dessert level. It’s easy drinking and the cherry/ granola taste is prominent. Really nice one
    4.5. 4.5 4.25 4.25 4.25. 4.33. 07dev.

ChicagoJ, Pinz412, 2beerdogs and 26 others like this.
  14. GrumpyGas

GrumpyGas Poo-Bah (2,031) Apr 7, 2009 Illinois
    Society Trader

Every beer has coffee (so it seems to me and it makes sense as coffee is a popular beverage) and I am sensitive to coffee, so I don't drink it. I believe I have said here before that Guinness is as close to coffee as I need to get.
    Regardless, for science:
    Confluence Brewing out of Des Moines, Iowa brews a nice scotch ale: Gray's Lake Nessie and has added Friedrichs' cold brewed hazelnut coffee for this variant.
    [​IMG]
    First pour shows a proud 1 1/2" cream colored head of foam, but it recedes to the edge soon enough. Dark, black, near burnt coffee dominates the aroma, but the nuttiness and toffee fight to show their presence.
    The flavor is again black coffee, and luckily, for me anyway, toffee, hazelnut, and vanilla are easily tasted through the bitter bean. The medium heft of the silky body makes for a smooth, easy drinking 5.7% scotch ale.
    Overall it needs for nothing, but I can imagine a cigarette here with the black coffee.
    [​IMG]

ChicagoJ, Pinz412, 2beerdogs and 25 others like this.
  15. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (5,661) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

My first new beer today is probably going to be the most polarizing out of the BCBS variants this year: Caramella, a wheat wine aged in wheated bourbon barrels with apples, caramel flavoring, and cinnamon. Clocks in at an unsurprisingly sky high 14.6% ABV.

[​IMG]

Wow! I saw @HoppingMadMonk 's review earlier in the thread, and my experience is quite different. To me, it doesn't taste artificial. It's certainly quite sweet.

More than anything, it tastes like a frosted apple pie with bourbon drizzled on top. It's a dessert in a glass. I've got a full plate of food in front of me (including a frosted mini apple pie, thanks to my wonderful partner!), and I'm afraid to touch the food until I've almost finished this beer. It's that sweet, and I suspect it's not going to pair well with anything else sweet.

Before tasting, I thought this would be a polarizing beer. After tasting, I think that's still the case. For my palate, I really, really enjoyed it.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1146/512836/?ba=Roguer#review
    4.35 / +1.6%

Cheers!

ChicagoJ, Pinz412, 2beerdogs and 24 others like this.
  16. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (2,615) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Good morning NBS/NBW and thanks @eppCOS for the kick off this weekend.
    With all that BCBS going on I thought about heading in another direction. This 2.4% Czech lager form Notch brewing is just right, excellent body, flavors, and aromatics.
    Stay focused and be well

Here Comes A Regular

Lager - European Pale | 2.4% ABV

Notch Brewing
    Salem, Massachusetts

4.19/5 rDev +5% | Average: 3.99
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a can dated 9/18/2020 into the test pilsner glass
    A - Lovely light straw color, exceptional clarity, that natural carbonation has a vibe all its own. Seductive to watch, feeds a pillowy white cap.
    S - Warm bread rising, a thin line of grassy herbal hops. Excellent malt expression on the nose.
    T - Biscuit, a hint of caramel, and a hint of diacetyl, all in the mix, floal center, with a bit of lemongrass and green apple.
    M - Excellent body, hefty texture for a sub 3% offering. Semi sweet start, then a clean wash of the palate toward a lovely herbal dry finish.
    O - A really lovely beer, excellent aromatics, lovely full feel, flavors are precise with no drift. Table style Czech Lager Yes please!
    [​IMG]

ChicagoJ, Pinz412, 2beerdogs and 28 others like this.
  17. Roy_Hobbs

Roy_Hobbs Defender (660) Jan 21, 2017 Connecticut
    Society Trader

After a couple days of BCBS, I was craving something different today, specifically something that wouldn't kick my #$% the way a bottle of BCBS does. To that end, I grabbed this can of Endeavor, by Kent Falls Brewing Company. Kent Falls is generally under-appreciated, for reasons I don't fully understand. They are highly thought of in CT, but have never been a super-hyped brewery. Why one brewery ends up with a seat on the hype train and another doesn't is perhaps a topic for a separate thread some day (or a good research paper for a college student). Anyway....here's what the brewery has to say about this beer....

"Endeavor is a Czech style pale lager named for our favorite variety of barley. To showcase the character of the malt we took a clean, traditional approach both for the ingredients selected and as a means to minimize our intervention in the process as possible; a triple decoction mash to amplify the character of the malt and whole cone Czech Saaz hops in the boil, natural carbonation methods and several months of lagering.

Batch 1. Packaged September 9, 2020.

"We first tasted endeavor barley in the summer of 2016 when our maltstress extraordinaire brought six varieties of barley she malted to the same specifications to do a flavor and color comparison. Hands down the winner amongst the six varieties was Endeavor. Our immediate question was when can we brew with it? Shortly after the sensory analysis we signed our first malt contract and would be ensuring Mosher Farms in Bouckeville, NY that we’d buy whatever Endeavor they could grow. That fall the barley was planted, and in the summer of 2017 it would be harvested. Our journey to using 100% locally grown grains in all of our beers gained incredible momentum when we began brewing our first Endeavor beers in the fall of 2017. Now three years later Endeavor is the base of all of our lagers, farmhouse ales and plays quite an important role in Superscriptᴵᴾᴬ. We thought it was long time to celebrate this wonderful variety with a beer of its own."
    [​IMG]
    4.21/5 rDev -2.8%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Canned September, 2020 and poured into a pint glass.

Appearance is a bright mostly translucent light amber color. Roughly an inch of fairly dense head. As the head faded, it left behind a thin layer that behaved as if it would hang around for a long time, but I could wait no longer to taste it.
    Aroma is bread & malt, and very nice. Blind, I would have guessed this was a Suarez beer. On the tongue this is a really nice balance of malts & hops. Smooth, yet just the right amount of bitterness. Nice amount of carbonation. For me, this is very well done for the style, and very drinkable.

18. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (3,094) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society

Happy Sunday everyone! Did a little beer purchase early yesterday and acquired a BCBS along with a variant, and a 4pk of something else that I've had before on the side. Saw that a small shop near me had the Bourbon County Brand Special #4 Stout for sale, which was the only variant of the main 3 available that I was interested in at least for the cost. Fortunately the place that got this variant also tends to sell stuff at a fair price and lower than most other stores, the downside is it is a very limited selection and only a few doors of craft beer with mostly AB and macro products, along with the popular wine brands and liquor, snacks etc. Cool to see that they have this and for $19.99. I saw the Kentucky Fog variant at another store for $26.99, Caramella Ale for $18.99, and last year's Café de Olla for $28.99. Glad to be able to pick up the one I was interested in for a bit cheaper. I would like to try all of them, at about half the price though...

Brewery notes:
    "Bourbon County Special #4 Stout is an oatmeal stout variant of our original Bourbon County Stout recipe, also aged in bourbon barrels, that uses crystal oats to add a nutty character and a smooth mouthfeel. After barrel aging, we added Intelligentsia Coffee, both their cold coffee andsingle origin coffee beans from Ethiopia, called “Metad Buku,” to bring out a pleasant fruity coffee character. Lastly bourbon barrel-aged maple syrup from Bissell Maple Farm in Ohio is added which provides complexity to the nutty oats and coffee to round out the flavors, ultimately reminiscent of your breakfast ‘special’ at the local diner."
    [​IMG]
    Drink By: 10SEP22 - 13.3% Alc/Vol

Served near cellar temperature. Pours a dark black color with some maroon red brown highlights around the edges, and a small frothy receding light brown tan foam head that fizzes away for the most part.

Smells really intriguing and different than I anticipated. At first big toasted bread notes come out with rich dark maple syrup, then roasted coffee comes into play with some extraordinary and wonderful fruit aromas, blueberry then morphing into a strawberry banana type aroma, dark chocolatey malts in the background with some charred oak barrel, mild bourbon, vanilla, caramel, dark toffee, and a touch of earthy hops.

After basking in the aroma for some time my first sip let out an expletive. Mass amounts of dark roasty coffee first and foremost, dark baking chocolate, oats, some dark maple syrup, roasted malts, charred oak barrel, smooth bourbon, vanilla, slight coconut, mild dark fruity notes complementing the coffee like blueberry, caramelized brown sugar, dark toffee, caramel, toasted bread crust, hints of roasted nut, marzipan, with a touch of earthy hops in the finish. The taste is pretty well balanced I think, it's certainly not too sweet or dessert-like, the coffee is forward in the taste but adds to the nuances and complexities instead of completely taking over. The maple syrup is dark tasting and pleasant, not too pancake syrupy sweet here right now which adds to the overall drinkability. The fact that this is an oatmeal stout too is a reason to acknowledge it's difference with a typical BCBS variant, and could add or detract from the flavor experience depending on personal preference I suppose.

Feels medium-medium plus bodied, a bit chewy and thick, rounded, creamy and smooth with moderate carbonation and a whiff of alcohol heat. Could be a bit more full for me though nothing wrong and the chewy smooth mouthfeel is pleasant.

Overall this is really nice and different. I'm enjoying the glorious sensations given off by this beer. I thought I've tasted some good coffee blend expressions, but this might be the best unique expression of a particular coffee yet. Maybe the oatmeal stout, maple syrup and bourbon barrel are contributing to the fruity aromas and flavor as well, either way the blueberry and strawberry banana notes I'm picking up are quite intriguing. Glad I got this beer and decided to drink it today. Cheers everyone!

ChicagoJ, Pinz412, 2beerdogs and 26 others like this.
  19. papposilenus

papposilenus Poo-Bah (1,680) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire
    Society

[​IMG]
    Tranquity, a DIPA from Tree House Brewing Co.
    4.22/5 rDev -3.7%

From a 16oz can, dated 11/13/20. Served in an IPA glass.

Pours a murky, dull orange with two-plus fingers of sea-foam head. Retention is excellent, leaving a heavy cap of whipped lather and a big, pockmarked, bubbly curtain of lacing.

Strong, yeasty-fruity aroma. Orange slices, kiwi, bread roll.

Taste is not just juicy; it is, in fact, super-juicy. Overripe peach, apricot and sticky, dripping melon predominate, then some tartness with gooseberry, papaya, kiwi and lime. Finally a minuscule green leafy bitterness at the finish, followed by a sour, composty aftertaste.

Feel is creamy smooth, with a medium body and subdued but adequate carbonation. There is a little boozy warmth in the gullet.

Overall... meh, another Tree House DIPA, what’s left to say about them that I haven’t already said, ad nauseum? Other than that, when you’re tired of Tree House NEDIPA’s, you’re tired of living®️. For one thing, this was brewed exclusively with Nelson Sauvignon hops, which I normally detest, and I liked it anyway! So, there’s that - sometimes it’s OK not to read the tiny little print on the label.

20. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (5,661) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

Second new beer of the day, and going in a completely different direction: after a near 15% BA wheat wine (and a 10 minute nap), let's try a sub-5% "gose."

[​IMG]
    Collective Arts Guava Gose

"Gose," as this is an opaque, hazy, fruited sour with guava. It does, however, have salt, wheat, and coriander, so there's a Gose beneath it all.

It turns out it's a bit more traditional than I suspected. It's light, watery, and crisp, with a salty finish. Sharp and tart up front before the guava takes over, but it doesn't add much sweetness - which is really the saving grace for tradition. I find most fruited Gose/BWs are moderately to very sweet, more of a sweet-and-sour ale than any established style. This one is more in line with Westbrook's offerings, by point of comparison.

I love guava, and I like this. It's not perfect, but it's got a large amount of flavor in a low ABV package. Recommended if you like fruited sours.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/32763/287334/?ba=Roguer#review
    3.83 / -4.7%

ChicagoJ, Pinz412, Reef and 22 others like this.
  21. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (2,642) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Good afternoon NBW
    Today's new beer is from a recent trade with @basaywhat
    [​IMG]
    Central Waters Brewer's Reserve Vanilla Bean Stout
    12oz bottle with 2019 notch poured into a snifter at fridge temp, no ABV listed on label. The beer pours dense, extremely dark brown with minimal light penetration and light brown head. The head recedes to an irregular ring of bubbles of various sizes. Minimal spotty lacing. The aroma is mild with a mix of vanilla and charred malt along with hints of bourbon and oak. The taste is bittersweet malt featuring chocolate, bourbon, oak, vanilla and moderate final bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with average carbonation and a mostly dry finish. No alcohol in the aroma or flavor, but it's slightly warming to let you know to proceed with some caution. Overall, very good. For a stout at least a year old the vanilla has held up well. Would jump at the chance to try one fresh.

Thank you so much Chris for this box. I thoroughly enjoyed each beer. It's hard to believe that Central Waters sold here for about two years then pulled out...

Cheers all and enjoy the new beer in your glass today!

ChicagoJ, Pinz412, Reef and 22 others like this.
  22. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (10,695) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Singlefinpin, eppCOS and StoutElk_92 like this.
  23. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (4,426) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Afternoon everyone! Hope you all are enjoying the day. I am planning to crack another BCBS this evening to wrap up the weekend tasting - I think Ill pull something special at since it is my birthday. However, for this afternoon I am going review the newest canned offering from Dovetail Brewery in Chicago. This is their Holiday Bock.
    [​IMG]

Pours a clear, amber color. Thick billowy tan head forms upon pouring before dissipating until just a ring of foam remains on the outside of the beer. Pretty looking bock beer. Aroma has notes of dark bready malts, spicy rye bread, light peppercorn notes and a hint of dark fruits. The taste follows the nose with notes of dark bread, rye bread, some light dark fruity notes, spicy black pepper, and some light hop notes on the back end. The hops in no way impact the prominent bready malts. Very clean, smooth flavors in this one. Feel is lighter-medium bodied. Ha a bit of a chewiness to it. Smooth, gentle carbonation. On the drier side on the finish.

Overall, I continue to be incredibly impressed with Dovetail's beers and this one is no exception. A delicious bock and perfect for the colder weather.

ChicagoJ, Pinz412, Reef and 25 others like this.
  24. eppCOS

eppCOS Poo-Bah (1,622) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Cellarmaker's Dank Williams DIPA. 8.2% (canned about a month ago, from what my friend told me - he muled it back, so hard to know). Another fantastic beer for NBW 19.

L - unassuming clarity, definitely old school count--- er, I mean west coast IPA time. Golden straw, good head, decent lacing all the way down the pint glass.
    S - Huge hop floral explosion; pine, pinefields, resinous, sticky smells. Who put PtE in my glass? Seriously. Wow.
    T - Fantastic palate impact and a full flesh of oniony resin, pine, bitter flowers - fab stuff here folks. It's Pliny with more floral essence on both aroma and palate. Not kidding.
    F - great carbonation, lively on the tongue, no ABV burn, but full royal flush of hops in the mouth. Love it.
    O - Another banger from Cellarmaker. Well done, well dank!

[​IMG]

ChicagoJ, Pinz412, Reef and 26 others like this.
  25. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (4,902) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

Ended up at Local Group Brewing for a quick lunch and a beer before heading off to my friends place for an in house concert (well backyard concert).

You Had Me At Hello, Belgian IPA. 6% ABV

[​IMG]

Pours with just a touch of haze at first, which clears up quickly. A golden/orange color. A one finger white head forms and recedes to leave some spotty lace.
    Citrus, melon, light berry aromas. Very modern American IPA in the nose. There is not anything that I would describe as Belgian here, but a decent IPA.
    That citrus, melon, berry medley going on taste wise again. There is some sweetness, I think it is a bit of candied sugar. Other than that a nice lingering bitterness.
    A medium body and good crisp carbonation. There is a bit of a soapy feel, which detracts just a bit for me. Though overall a good IPA to drink.

Outside of some candied sugar like sweetness, I'm not really sure what makes this a "Belgian" IPA. As there is no discernible yeast characteristic. I took a few points off for that, but that being said it is an enjoyable American IPA that I would be happy to get again.

Overall score 3.57
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/58735/499167/?ba=champ103#review

Had some "Tex-Mex" Poutine for lunch, which was awesome.
    [​IMG]

Side note: My friend is a local jazz musician, and basically lost all the revenue he could make cause no restaurants and bars will hire bands right now. So he created a stage in his backyard for any local musician or theater group to perform. Its been a great way for them to make a little bit, while doing all the social distancing stuff, and being safe. Tonight they are playing Sonny Rollins Freedom Suite. This will also be the first time I have seen live music in a long time, so really looking forward to it.

ChicagoJ, Pinz412, Reef and 25 others like this.
  26. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (665) Mar 28, 2009 California

Pure Project collab with Moska. 8.5% Dipa with oats and wheat. Hopped with citra, Nelson, and Simone.

Aroma and taste is huge notes of citrus and orange. I could smell the hops as soon as I cracked the can.I get mostly citrus with a blend of white grape, pineapple and a touch of dank (pine and grapefruit). Body is full and creamy with moderate carb and bitterness. Minimal sweetness from the malt. Touch of alcohol burn. Overall fantastic.

[​IMG]

ChicagoJ, Pinz412, Reef and 24 others like this.
  27. ichorNet

ichorNet Poo-Bah (1,922) Mar 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society

Howdy all! Today for NBS I have three new beers on deck, and they're all wildly different from one another. Love when that happens, as it means I'm not just gonna drink three sorta-different IPAs or what have you. Two of these new beers were given to me by my good friend Pat, who works as a canning line operator at Widowmaker Brewing in Braintree, MA. I figured we could start off weird and then get slightly more normal with the second WM beer, before finishing in a spectacular manner with a big ol' adjunct stout from a brewery with a good reputation who I've never had beer from before... without much further ado...

[​IMG]

Up first is Bastards in a Basket, a 7% ABV "peanut butter & jelly sour" brewed as a collaboration with Second Wind Brewing Co. out of Plymouth, MA. I've had a couple good SW beers which I've split with my aforementioned friend in the recent past, and I actually think I trust this to be pretty good. The peanut butter beers I've had from Widowmaker are actually really damn quality, even though I mostly think their IPAs are boring and one-dimensional. Let's see what this is like.

Holy fuck, that pour! It's like liquefied grape jelly with a surprisingly-retentive head of off-purple foam that leaves behind some really nice lace. I'm downright impressed by the way this looks in my glass, at least after I get by the initial "what is happening right now" phase. It builds up with a super-deep and characterful, memorable burgundy/purple color that just looks overall awesome. Also, kudos to whoever did the design for the label, as the colors present there match the beer itself superbly well. I'm ready for this one... and I really hope it doesn't suck.

Incredible smell, and I'm suddenly having a really good feeling that this will be a beer I'll want more of. I don't know how, but the combination of incredibly-apparent roasted peanut elements and slight, subtle grape/raspberry jam somehow comes together here, and almost nothing else really exists here. I don't think there's really any room for any "traditional" beer aspects to come out if I'm being honest, and I guess I'd prefer this to dedicate itself 100% to such an over-the-top concept than to relent a bit and see the involved brewers saying "well, shouldn't it smell kinda like beer, though...?" I almost pick up some light notes of mint, graham cracker, and blueberry as well. It's a lot, but it's pretty focused, all things considered.

I expected this to totally bomb on the palate, I reaaaaally did. Perhaps I subconsciously thought it would be some kind of minor tragedy if I thought this was a good beer. But it is amazing. This is exactly what they set out to do, and I love it because it's both tasty and successful beyond my expectations. It's kind of in the middle of a fruited sour and a milk stout or something, but I don't think the grain base is overly-dark at all, because if it were, this would probably be kind of roasty or something. Instead, it's just pure dark-fruity jam and peanut butter in a crazy-cohesive congealing of disparate things that absolutely shouldn't work together. Feel is kinda slick and generic (thanks lactose, though honestly without that element this would probably be less good, which pains me to admit in a sense), but it's a decent vehicle for the cool flavors that continue to impress even part-ways through the glass.

Of course, my buddy who canned this hates it (doesn't really like sours other than more traditional lambic, and doesn't like peanut butter beers, so there's no way he'd even give it a fair shot without bias coming into play immediately :joy:), but I am grateful to have had it. And now I want more. Also, this makes me want to pick up some Gunner's Daughter to do weird black-and-tans (black-and-purples...?) with... super fun and intriguing stuff, but obviously not for everyone, especially not for the more close-minded. I love traditional beer as much as a lot of y'all, I'm sure you know that if you read my reviews or pay attention to my posts, but there's something so playful and enjoyable about things like this, especially if they're actually tasty. Back soon...

ChicagoJ, Pinz412, Reef and 23 others like this.
  28. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (4,545) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Good Sunday afternoon, New Beer Samplers and commentators. I hope everyone has enjoyed the holiday weekend. It's been unusual without either of our kids this year but more restful than usual. While I've started the transition to Christmas - winter themed beers, I have several fresh local IPAs to review today in honor of Small Brewery Sunday. The first is Stratospheric Rays of Haze from Untied Brewing in New Providence, New Jersey. This ale is a variant of the brewery's flagship DIPA Rays of Haze, and is hopped with dry hopped with African Queen, Strata, Motueka, Amarillo, and Ekuanot. Some brewers use Strata hops to create a strong cannabis influence; in this case it's subtle and the grassy herbal notes nicely balance the bold orange, lemon, lime, berry, and stone fruits. Untied's recent DIPAs have excellent mouth feels - creamy and surprisingly lite for 8.3% ABV. This is a very nice beer from a brewery that continues an impressive run.

Here's the score:

4.32/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Up next is a locally-brewed West Coast IPA. Cheers, everyone!

ChicagoJ, Pinz412, Reef and 19 others like this.
  29. papposilenus

papposilenus Poo-Bah (1,680) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire
    Society

[​IMG]
    Deer Gauntlet from Other Half
    DIPA Hopped with Mosaic and Galaxy and then dry hopped with Galaxy, Riwaka and Bru-1
    3.72/5 rDev -9.9%

From a 16oz can, dated 10/27/20. Served in a cervoise.

Pours a cloudily opaque apricot color with a finger-plus of soft, lathery suds. Retention is just pretty good but leaves a creamy, silky cap and collar and a solid blanket of lacing. (4.25)

Super-muted nose of I’m-not-even-sure-what. Sweet-ish, creamsicle or candy-like something. (3.5)

Taste is a bit of a muddled jigsaw puzzle of flavours - tangerine and lime, grapefruit juice and sour booze, caramel, pineapple syrup, pine bark, orange peel and black tea. Grapefruit and sour booze aftertaste lingers. (3.75)

Feel is dense and sticky, medium-hefty bodied, vaguely syrupy but with decent enough carbonation. (3.75)

Overall, heavy, boozy, just marginally better than just alright... but I’d have expected Other Half to pull off something more impressive with all those hops. (3.75)

#69 papposilenus, Nov 29, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    ChicagoJ, Pinz412, Reef and 19 others like this.
  30. bret27

bret27 Poo-Bah (1,780) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Society Trader

More new brews...
    [​IMG]
    =4.67
    [​IMG]
    =4.32

ChicagoJ, Pinz412, Reef and 17 others like this.
  31. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (4,545) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    NBW #2: Loft LIfe, a West Coast style DIPA from Hackensack Brewing Co. As you can see from the photo, this is a malty, darker version of the style, which is rare in this area and something I really enjoy. It's not what I expected. The recipe includes Nelson Sauvin hops which we don't see often in this style. The ale has a great balance of malt sweetness, tart citrus from the Mosaic hops, and an herbal dryness from the Nelson. I'm really impressed by it. Here's the full review:

4.24/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

No date on can but appears to have been released in October 2020. Poured into a pint glass. It pours an unusual color for the style: a cloudy dark iced tea color with a half finger of creamy, ecru-colored had and thick, clinging lacing. It's an attractive pour. The smell is rather subdued; it's primarily malty. The malt carries forward into the taste and provides initial sweetness that's immediately balanced by bitter, biting Simcoe hops. What's intriguing about this recipe is its use of Nelson hops, which contribute a dry, herbal taste that works well with the malt. While initially malty and bitter, as it warms I can taste some earthy, piney citrus. This ale finishes with lots of bitterness; all 70 IBU worth. It has a moderately creamy mouth feel with a pleasant level of carbonation, and the 8.2% ABV gives it good substance. Overall, Loft Life is a fine offering that manages to blend malt sweetness, tart citrus, and hop bitterness with finesse. This is a well-conceived and executed beer.

I gave it a 4.5 overall to reward the brewer for brewing a beer like this - you don't see it often in New Jersey. "Style points," as it were.

32. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (2,642) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Now for something completely different...
    [​IMG]
    Augustinian Ale by Nethergate Brewery
    Listed as an English pale ale here on BA

The review: 16.9 oz bottle stamped L0218 (presumably bottled 8/5/2020 - about 3 1/2 months ago) poured into a nucleated nonic pint glass at fridge temp 5.2% ABV. The beer pours with explosive egg shell colored head. It took 10 minutes to get a drinkable pour. The beer itself is mostly bright honey amber in color. Amazing retention with a volcano style island atop a half inch of head and complete lacing. The aroma is surprising with lemon and coriander leading the way before a subtle pale malt note. The taste is semi tart with more coriander, lemon, floral, honey notes before the malt shows up. The finish is dry, barely tart and only mildly bitter. The mouthfeel is thin to medium bodied with average plus carbonation. Overall, weird. The label mentions bottle conditioned and a "touch of coriander." Pretty much all I get is coriander and if by traditional style they mean letting a few random yeasts or bacteria in the mix, then they went medieval on this one. Beautiful beer & happy to have had the chance to review. Would not purchase again, but would recommend for the tick and experience.

If I could homebrew an English ale that looked like this, they would probably ban me from WBAYDN for loading the pages. However, the taste is a complete 180 from anything I expect, and while I'm not opposed to coriander, I do not care for tart / sour beer. I have to wonder if that was intentional.

Happy Birthday!

Cheers all!

33. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (3,580) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

Happy Birthday, enjoy that special brew!

34. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,860) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

They also make a hell of a black IPA, although I haven't seen that one show up in cans yet.

Singlefinpin, MacMalt and StoutElk_92 like this.
  35. snaotheus

snaotheus Poo-Bah (4,488) Oct 6, 2008 Washington
    Society

[​IMG]
    I'm going to bend the rules, but just slightly. I've had this beer before, but it has been so long ago that I probably hadn't even started writing reviews.

Anchor Steam Beer.

12oz can served in a tulip. Date on the can is 040120. I don't remember where I bought this.

Pours a deep clear amber with a medium sized head. Smell is rich and grainy, honey and bready yeast.

Taste is also rich and grainy with a lot of honey and bready yeast. But, there's also a bit of a bitter bite -- not too much, so maybe more like a nibble, just enough to let you there are teeth here.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly full, though also surprisingly low on carbonation. Overall, this is a much richer and more interesting beer than it was in my memory. I'm glad I decided to revisit it.

36. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (4,489) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

Might have had a little too much fun the last few days, but I’m recovered now and focusing on lighter beer. First up Tired Hands Rasbberrison, one of the 3 new fruit variants of Ourison that where just released.

4.47/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

750 ml bottle poured into an Ourison glass

A- A clear ruby red with a three finger pink head.

S- Sour, raspberry jam, wheat, lemons, oak, musty funk.

T- Tart, raspberries, lemon, wheat, oak, some musty funk.

M- Smooth, soft, light body.

O- At first the raspberries don’t seem to be the best fit for the base but as I drink it everything comes together beautifully.

I love Ourison but some of the fruit variants they have put out haven’t been as good as the base beer, but this one brings together the flavors quite well. Cheers!
    [​IMG]

37. ichorNet

ichorNet Poo-Bah (1,922) Mar 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society

I feel like the last few NBW threads I have remarked on the relative quietness of the proceedings, and again I feel like it's something of note... I hope everyone is doing alright and is in a good place. Seems to be a lot fewer entries recently. Anyway, on to my next one, another Widowmaker beer called Coastal Delicacy. This is a 5.7% ABV India Pale Lager brewed with Galaxy and BRU-1 hops. Nice hop combo, solid ABV, and recently packaged. Hope it's a good'un.

[​IMG]

This pours a hazy (okay, it's essentially-opaque) yellowish golden color with a solid head measuring two fingers at its highest point, though it quickly sinks to a half-finger. As it does so, though, it leaves behind excellent, consistent sheets of lace that give the beer some solid character. Legs are good, too. Everything is pretty much in order here. I usually expect IPLs to be less hazy (this is apparently lagered for six weeks, so I'm not really sure how it still has so much chalkiness in the body), but whatever. At the end of the day, this is going to define itself by how it tastes and drinks when it comes to that definition, right?

The nose has an initial sniff of cantaloupe and tangerine followed closely by dank pine resin, apricot, and intense grapefruit rind with a hint of pilsner maltiness kind of cleanly supporting the hoppy aspects. Maybe some light tropical elements of mango and passion fruit (thanks, Galaxy!) as well. Dankness comes out even more as it acclimates to being in my glass. Some touches of spice and doughiness, but nothing obtrusive at all.

First sip is a muted citrus (grapefruit/pomelo) mixed with passion fruit and pineapple notes that fade out quickly. Similar flavors come out upon subsequent sips, though I'm definitely enjoying the slight bitterness and pine-y focus this seems to have. This is very drinkable and thirst-quenching with some supporting elements of dank earthiness, soft baking spice, melon, and guava flesh that really give it a decent amount of character. A lot of Widowmaker's hoppy beers I've had seem to feel kind of plain and homogeneous on the palate (a lot of time, in spite of positive perception of the nose), and this does have a bit of that to it, unfortunately. It has a nice, complex nose that translates unexpectedly-weakly on the tongue, in other words. It's slightly more crisp and less-yeasty than their stronger IPA offerings, but I assume six weeks lagering will have that kind of effect (since it's an IPL, duh). I'm confused as to why it's still super-hazy, of course, but whatever. Feel is solid... well-carbed, well-structured, and with a good heft for its low-medium ABV. I'd drink it again, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

38. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (13,048) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Kentucky Fog Stout, 14.1% ABV. Pours black and thick, with a one-finger head that left no lacing. Nose is bourbon, honey, and tea, taste follows with some sweetness and light bitterness, with some bourbon burn. Excellent mouthfeel, overall outstanding. I'll adjust my review as it warms, based on other's observations. A tea beer is a bit odd, but it works. I'm liking it a bit more than the #4 Oatmeal.

4.46/5 rDev +3.2%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A good day to drink some Bourbon County, watch football, and put up the indoor Christmas decorations.

[​IMG]

ChicagoJ, VABA, Pinz412 and 18 others like this.
  39. scream

scream Meyvn (1,363) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

That's a good one and the wife's favorite. I need to check their site to see when it will be available !

40. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,952) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.