New Beer Weekend #46

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SawDog505, Jun 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Poo-Bah (2,314) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Red tank broad street stout
    ...solid black appearance
    ...body is just above average with a very slight slick creamy feel. Carbonation is close to average which felt a little high for this but still a good body
    ...aroma is a nice mix of licorice, leather, malt candy, black coffee.
    . Taste is a combination of sweet malt yet comes off a bit dry.eather and licorice show up as well as earthy buckwheat honey.
    .. for a small local brewery it ended up being a really nice surprise of a beer[​IMG]

2. Whyteboar

Whyteboar Crusader (741) Jun 7, 2008 Michigan
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Rævn from Blackrocks Brewery in Marquette, MI.
    Tasty, but I suspect not what it was supposed to taste like. Forgot to check the date and it’s not anywhere near fresh. But it still managed to taste pretty good, so I will be finding a fresh one for rating.
    Cheers all!

3. jonphisher

jonphisher Zealot (545) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

Back home from the gathering but brought a mixed four pack of maryland beer and Michigan beer, given to me from different family members. I had no new beer now I got plenty for this weekend and next! First up a maryland one...

I love the name and art: pils boh baggins by crooked crab

[​IMG]

Relatively clear gold pour solid initial head that disappears all to quickly too few scattered big islands of small white.

Very pleasant floral aroma to this one, also some subtle spice.

Taste follows the nose in the floral and spice, there is also a pretty rich bread flavors going on.

Light bodied beer, a touch of sweetness and a little kiss of bitter. Mouthfeel is where this beer could improve for me. I love the aroma and taste but just wish it was a little cleaner. The sweetness sort of lingers on the palette.

Other than the minor criticism at the end I think this is a pretty well made and pleasant beer. Free beer from family is always good!

4. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (13,170) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Keweenaw Widow Maker Black Ale, 5.2% ABV. Pours dark brown with a ring of bubbles. Nose is not much, a bit of roast malt. Taste is really mild, some malt, no bitterness. A bit of an off-taste that reminded me of wet dog, not that I ever drank a wet dog. OK Mouthfeel, overall OK. With a name like "Widow Maker" I'd expect an 18% ABV BA beer with Carolina Reaper peppers. Perhaps the thought is that they could pass this off as water and eventually get you too drunk to drive. Or maybe it was supposed to be "Window Maker". Not sure...

3.24/5 rDev -7.7%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Since their name is on the glass, I should point out that Sonny's only served the beer and shouldn't be blamed. Sonny's has some incredible Italian cuisine (pasta, pizza, etc) and is must-try when visiting Door County in Wisconsin, a wilderness vacation spot.

[​IMG]

5. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (13,170) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Door County Polka King Porter, 5.3% ABV. Pours dark brown with a ring of white bubbles. Nose is malty, taste follows, slightly sweet, slightly bitter. Decent mouthfeel, overall very good. Wish I could say more than "inoffensive".

3.77/5 rDev +6.2%
    look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

[​IMG]

6. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,831) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Time for another new beer.

[​IMG]

Poured from the can into a Spiegelau IPA glass. Packaged May 6th 2021.

Deep amber body, with a light brown and very dark yellow color, a good hazy appearance and not turbid. Excellent forming head, bright white with an easy three finger height and very big retention. Also lots of classing thin lacing as well, and a small creamy island puck. Very solid looking IPA.

Aroma comes off decent. Light sense of hop, a touch of minor citrus and perhaps tropical note. Very clean, hints wet slightly like most NA beers but not terribly. Comes off passing like a standard ipa so far.

Palate hits real nicely. Light touches of lemon, and an even bigger juicy hop note. Typical light bodied NA, but the palate is supportive of a malt base that isn't sweet, and a hop angle that is prominent, and more so distinct and varied. Clean finish, slight hint of sweet caramel mixing more so with an excellent fruity hop aromatic.

This is even less sweet than some big bold NEIPAs I have had. This isn't anything fancy, but even drinking it you forget this is a no alcohol brew. Absolute winner.

4s across the board.

Cheers!

7. BrewsOverHoes

BrewsOverHoes Meyvn (1,309) Nov 17, 2013 Georgia
    Society Trader

I don’t know if I’ve ever posted on NBW but this deserved a post! Been savoring this for quite a minute...

First time with Heady Topper from the Alchemist thanks to the benevolent @tasterschoice62 . Whom ironically did not give me a choice in tasting this beer, he insisted...:wink:

[​IMG]

A; I was a bad boy and poured a touch into a glass to see what I was drinking. Pours a beautiful golden hazy orange/yellow, small amount of white head dissipating quickly.

S; This smells incredible. Tropical fruits, grapefruit, dank/grassy notes.

T; Massive onslaught of dank, earthy, weedy notes, with bright citrus and tropical fruits mixing in.

M; Unbelievably smooth, medium body, excellent carb, great!

O; So glad I got a chance to try this after all these years, shout out to @tasterschoice62 for giving me the chance. Lives up to the hype for sure. Just had the perfect balance of hop onslaught, mouthfeel, bitterness.

Cheers all.

8. barneyrubble

barneyrubble Aspirant (280) Aug 21, 2020 Colorado

I usually post in WBAYDN and this is my first post in this thread. Time to dive in the Deep End!

Single can purchased at retail in CO.

Elevation - Pilsner

L- 4.00 Beautiful pale yellow color that takes on a jewel like look with its 90% transparency. Head is 2F and white and fades fairly quickly with little lace. Bubbles look super fine as they stream up.

N- 3.75 This smells like a German Pilsner. Good spicy & floral hop on the nose with a touch of a white bread loaf yeast component.

T- 4.50 The hops come first but are not as bitter as some German Pilsners. The malt is right next to the hops and while not sweet gives a nice smooth body to the taste. There seems to be some acidic or mineral tang but nothing to detract.

M- 4.5 Mouthfeel is a bit on the lighter side of medium with a nice smoothness along with some soft carbonation. Just a pleasure so far. I get the malt body on the side of the tongue and the hops drying out the middle a bit.

O- 4.50 Well done. What a really nice interpretation and one that leans a bit on the lighter side of some Pilsners, but man is it balanced. This single is a week over 3 months so maybe it would be a bit hoppier if fresher, but tastes great right now.

Cumulative Rating: 4.29 BA Lists this as retired, yet it is on their tap menu. Can anyone confirm if it is still avail in cans?

I have been discovering Pilsners lately, more so than IPAs and have had a number of the usual suspects from Germany along with a number of Helles. This beer is right between a hop led Pilsner and a slightly hoppier less sweet malt Helles. I like it.

[​IMG]

9. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (11,120) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

New Province Adventure awaits IPA, 7.1% ABV; 3.81 overall

Pours a hazed gold a pinky of cream colored head. Average head retention & lacing

S: Citrus , breadyness & grassyness

T: Tangerine, bready dryness with lime & grassyness up front. Orange, tangerine & sweet breadyness as this warms. Finishes with plenty of citrus to include a little grapefruit & dryness

MF: Medium body, fairly firm carbonation, good balance

Decent IPA featuring a nice citrus profile

10. russpowell

Society Trader

Looks like back to back posts since forgot to hit post reply. Not good at multitasking any more. Elk Valley Latte Nemesis, 9.0% ABV. 3.92 overall

Pours a chill hazed chestnut with a thumb+ of mocha colored head. Zero head retention

S: Coffee & a little vanilla

T: Mocha with a little vanilla, a little booze burn on the tip of the tongue up front. Lactose dryness mixes with sweet coffee as this warms, roastyness as well. Finishes dry, roasty with coffee & a little cocoa & lactose

MF: Medium body, firm carbonation, carbonation softens as this warms

Solid flavored take on this style

11. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (2,639) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Hello New Beer Weekend!!!

Hot as hell here today, almost got to 100 today. It's "only" supposed to be 93 tomorrow, so time to cool off.

I'm going to be one new beer tonight, and done, and here it is, and I truly have to thank @woemad for this beauty:
    [​IMG]
    Flight of Fancy from YaYa Brewing - NEIPA - 6.5% ABV.

Damn tasty. It went down way too fast, to be honest. I'm very happy to have tried it.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/57417/540033/
    4.04/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

This beer looks somewhat thick while pouring. What I get in the pint glass is a nice yellow/orange color. Really dank and murky looking. The head on this beer is a 1 finger white head. The retention is pretty damn good. There's a bit of clingy lacing on the glass.
    The nose is a nice tropical aroma. Pineapple and mango is what I get on the aroma. I also get a slight creamy aroma from the added lactose.
    Taste - Lots of tropical pineapple and mango. These flavors taste great together. There's also a bit of the lactose mixed in to soften those flavors a bit.
    The feel is quite "soft" and juicy. Very smooth, and, yet, the hops also do linger in my throat in a bit of a sticky feeling.
    Very tasty overall, and I'm happy to try this beer.

See you all tomorrow after I get done with work.

12. russpowell

Society Trader

:stuck_out_tongue:
    Come back & see us again some time :stuck_out_tongue:

MacMalt, IKR, woemad and 6 others like this.
  13. russpowell

Society Trader

If we have seen 90 this year, I would be surprised. Not running the AC now, so I am happy for that. It usually stays on from Mid May to September here

MacMalt, IKR, LesDewitt4beer and 3 others like this.
  14. RJLarse

RJLarse Poo-Bah (1,930) Dec 30, 2005 Washington
    Society

15. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Meyvn (1,358) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois

Welcome one and all to New Beer Sunday 849! Going to track down the Deschutes Squeezy Rider reviewed by @RJLarse , never seen that one before.

Called an audible for my beer today, going with another Barleywine, also from the Midwest. However, unlike my Founders' Nemesis, this one has aged in my cellar for over five years, I believe the first bottle I purchased from this brewery. Has a similar ornery moniker.

Spiteful Brewery Belligerent Bob

[​IMG]

Bottle Notes:
    I believe this was purchased in January 2016 from Fischman's OG location. Bottle marked batch 363 (overall, not the number of batches of this beer). 10.5% ABV, 22 oz.

Don't fight it, Spite It. Unfortunately, we all know a Belligerent Bob. He's the guy that insists on fighting people twice his size, and goes from angry to sad to happy in ten minutes. The guy that breaks something every time he comes over. The guy that purposefully shotguns a beer in front of a cop. the guy that ends up sleeping on the bathroom floor. The guy you should not share this chewy , sweet barleywine with. To the Belligerent Bobs out there...you better check yourself before you wreck yourself.

Appearance: I poured 8 oz of the 22 into a small snifter, sealing for either later today or tomorrow. Clear burgundy pour, mild carbonation, nice creamy tan head lingers for a few minutes before receding to a ring above the base. Light fine bubbles. 4.25

Aroma:
    Sweet cherry leads, nice caramel and dates follow. Roasted malt backs, white wine, sweet but not overly. Smells great. 4.5

Taste:
    Very mellow, some oxidation certainly occurred. The hops which were muted in the aroma are present, though not as sharp, pine the primary taste. The cherry and caramel remain, citrus and white grape backed. Brown sugar and caramel as well. Overall, it has held up decent to well, though 1-2 years may have been a better aging sweet spot. 3.75

Mouthfeel:
    Thin light to medium body, faint carbonation holds, syrupy, balanced in terms of sweet and bitter, very mellow, easier drinking than the ABV would lead, clean finish. 4.25

Overall:
    This is a solid barleywine. If I had it to do over again, I would have likely intentionally aged for 1-2 years, my typical sweet spot for barleywines with a stronger hop presence. I will attempt to secure a fresh version later this year, and will update this review if I find substantial changes. Overall solid barleywine, beyond noted oxidation which is on me, I found it to be very enjoyable drinking, the aroma was excellent, the taste didn't match but remained pleasant. 4.25

I wish you a pleasant Sunday and look forward to reading about the new beers you are pulling out today. Cheers!

#55 ChicagoJ, Jun 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  16. Peach63

Peach63 Champion (865) Jul 17, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

Zywiec 1881 Porter.

[​IMG]

L: Pours ebony with 1.5" tan head, which sticks around. Heavy lacing.
    S: Aroma of roast malts, coffee, cocoa.
    T: Tastes of coffee, roast malt, black malt, toffee, caramel, chocolate.
    F: Full bodied, thick & creamy, light carbonation. Dry, astringent finish.
    OA: This is my first Polish beer. Wow! One to try before you die.

Hopefully, this time, I followed the proper etiquette for posting on this tread and the mods won't boot me off. :thinking_face: :smiley:

17. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (2,779) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Welcome to the thread, Excellent post
    Cheers

BrewsOverHoes, IKR, woemad and 5 others like this.
  18. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (5,909) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

[​IMG] Poured into a 16 oz Nordic pint glass not sure when it was canned. Pours a hazy yellow with a 2 finger sticky white head that leaves thin streaks of lace with solid retention. 4

Aroma is peach, mango, pineapple, and apricot. 3.75

Taste follows peach, mango, pineapple, and apricot. 3.75

Mouthfeel is about medium, a tad sticky not dry, soft gentle carbonation, and at 6% it goes down really easy. 4

Overall a nice hot weather crusher, nothing dazzling but still a nice NEIPA. 3.75

19. jonphisher

jonphisher Zealot (545) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

I’ve seen that beer several times before and have never purchase. A local store has quite a big polish selection, the polish areas of philly aren’t far away so I’m guessing that is why. They must sell well.

I’m gonna give this one a try sometime soon!

BrewsOverHoes, IKR, ChicagoJ and 5 others like this.
  20. Whyteboar

Whyteboar Crusader (741) Jun 7, 2008 Michigan
    Society Trader

You did great!
    So good in fact- ISO Zywiec 1881 Porter.
    That sounds really good!
    Cheers

MacMalt, IKR, ChicagoJ and 7 others like this.
  21. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (2,779) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Good morning NBS/NBW and thanks to @SawDog505 for hosting this weekend.
    We are joining much of the country this weekend with the heat moving in a big way.
    So stay hydrated out there.
    Todays offering is from Maynard Ma, Silver Tree by Amory's Tomb, a lovely Rye Grisette.
    All the elements are in place and this is simply a treat to drink, A bit spicy, active cabonation cleans up, and bone dry finish. Just right on this hot morning.
    Cheers

Silver Tree by Amory's Tomb
    4.09/5 rDev -0.7%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a 16 oz can marked, "Batch 7 - Kazbek Best before 1/15/2022.
    A - Lite straw color, nice clarity, amazing towering white frothy cap. Cabonation is lively and a treat to watch
    S - Grainy with rye leading the way, some white pepper, lemongrass, all wrapped up in a musty basement aura.
    T - Lemon pith, spicy with pepper leading the way, some funky cheese rind and earthy hops
    M - Sprizty and bone dry, starts out with edges, and stays sharp on the palate, there is a tartness but ever so slight.
    texture is really good. Solid nod to the classic European style.
    O - A very enjoyable Grisette, sharp, spicy, dry, lovely carbonation and all at 3.9% ABV. A delightful offering
    [​IMG]

22. officerbill

officerbill Crusader (776) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

I've heard you should start your day with a glass of juice, so with that in mind.
    50 Miles From Mexico a berry & lime shandy from War Horse.
    The back of the can is a wall of text about the down-home folks of Mexico, NY, all natural local ingredients, and traditions that go back generations.
    Malts: NY pale, pilsner, flaked corn
    Hops: Lemon Drop, Mandarina
    Special Ingredients: Lime Zest, Natural Flavors
    IBU: 22; ABV: 4.7; canned 05/14/21

First off-4.7% ABV seems a little high for a shandy, but that's what they call it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trying to review to style on this one.
    50 Miles pours a murky purplish/tan with a thin quickly dissolving head. No aroma to speak of, just a faint raspberry and a fainter lime zest.

Taste-the best I can come up with is raspberry Kool-aid made with twice the water, half the sugar, and a dash of lime.

50 Miles would a pretty good hot, summer whatever-ade replacement if it was 1/2 the ABV, but 4.7 is too high for one after another or keeping hydrated and it lacks the depth and flavors to really be enjoyed on it's own.

It'll do of you like raspberry Kool-aid or want something for guests who “don't like beer”, but don't bother if you're looking for an all-day beer.

3.85/5 rDev 0%
    look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. Peach63

Peach63 Champion (865) Jul 17, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

I got it from halftimebeverage.com, only 2.99 a bottle. Also have a Browar Witnica Black Boss Porter from Poland. 2.59 for a 1 pint bottle. Maybe crack it open for next weeks thread.

IKR, Whyteboar, ChicagoJ and 2 others like this.
  24. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (8,677) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

ChicagoJ, MacMalt, larryi86 and 7 others like this.
  25. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,925) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Get it!

I get a couple of 500ml bottles a month- on top of how good it is, it's an incredible value at only $2 each. No wonder they keep finding their way into my basket. :wink:

SABERG, russpowell, MacMalt and 5 others like this.
  26. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Greetings fellow NBSers! After a couple of summer like days with temps in the 80's earlier in the week, today is cloudy and a bit chilly here in the Fourth Corner.

Starting my NBS with a brew from out in Friday Harbor WA, in the beautiful San Juan Islands, San Juan Brewing's San Juan Czech Pils. It's a nice, solid, easy drinking beer, one that makes for a good breakfast brew: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/50376/456744/?ba=BBThunderbolt#review

27. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

SABERG, RobertB412, ovaltine and 14 others like this.
  28. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (7,135) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Hair Of The Dog Brewing Company / Brewery And Tasting Room -- Bierweek (smoked marzen)

[​IMG]

4.03/5 rDev +1.3%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Hazy, amber colored body; thin head yet lasting. Mild smokey note riding atop a mild caramel scent. Initial taste of earthy sweetness closely followed with a deep smokey flavor; very little bitterness. Heavy body; rich and textured; nice residual sugar presence; warm sensation; dull sweetness.

This beer comes close to the classic Aecht Sclenkerla rauchbiers, just not as intense in the smoke flavor.

Poured at 50° F; bottom of can data: 16 JUN 2020 PEACE LOVE UNITY

--------

Busy with chores most of the early part of the day: best one was firing up the chain saw to cut-apart a large tree limb from our neighbor Jim's yard that was blocking his sidewalk. The old guy (95 years old) was out there with his cane and loppers when I showed up...then front yard lawn mowing and watering, cleaning out the washing machine drain trap, and finally shimming up the crapper. So, breaking a bit of a sweat this warm day, and a nice, rich and flavorful German-inspired rauchbier suits me fine...

Peach63, zid, SABERG and 20 others like this.
  29. woodchipper

woodchipper Meyvn (1,366) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society

Today I have the Evil Twin offering IPA Is The Dizziness of Freedom, a 6% DDH IPA.
    [​IMG]
    3.8/5 rDev -5.9%
    look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 16oz can dated 4/6/21 at fridge temp to a Nonic.
    Extremely light-colored yellow/white body sits below a pretty aggressive white head that fades relatively quickly to 1/4".
    Smells mildly of orange pith, not much there but nothing bad.
    Taste is apricot and lemonade. Sweet, but not overly so. There is some mild hop burn on the finish.
    Mouthfeel is medium.
    Okay, but not great.

Peach63, SABERG, RobertB412 and 17 others like this.
  30. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,831) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

I was getting a little cabin fever-ish so I went outside for a bit... oh yeah f' that it's too dang hot..

So I need to cool off..

[​IMG]

Poured from the can into a tall wheat ale style glass.

Fairly big powerful forming head, with expected minimal retention, but manage a good white three finger soapy cap before dissolving to a good simple pencil thin collar. Nice looking body, hints of brass shine, a deep yellow with a mix of haze but even lighter clarity and shine towards the edges. Some nice ample and playful carbonation rounds things out.

Interesting aroma. Quite a good mix of flavors, but strangely there's a candy sweetness of sour like candy that tends to dominate. Big passion fruit candy like flavors, hints of sugar and a good salty brine acidity as well. Almost has a hint of bubblegum and hubba bubba like fruit flavors all over.

Palate luckily comes without the sensing sweetness, but some other qualities just don't seem to be as well defined. Even wet for a gose, but also very flat in mouthfeel. Mid palate seems to have a dull sense of wheat and limited fruit flavor. Mild sourness with a bit of hinting orange and maybe even some mango like flavors also. Lacks a bit of bready malt depth also.

Glad to say this doesn't come off like a sugary mess that the nose seems to hint at, but the palate seems even less expressive more so.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25 | Final grade 3.5

Cheers!

Peach63, SABERG, RobertB412 and 17 others like this.
  31. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (7,135) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Drekker Brewing Co. -- Dayman: Fighter of the Nightman (Russian imperial stout)

[​IMG]

4.14/5 rDev -3.3%
    look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Excellent dark body, black and opaque; thin to non-existent head. Huge nose filled with cocoa; roasted grains and hints of coffee. Rich mild chocolate and bourbon taste; fine coconut sweetness; black coffee simmering in the background; mild bitterness. Heavy body; rich and oily; dense residual sugar presence; fairly sweet mouthfeel overall.

Some big ABV beers have great heads, others don't. This is an 'other' beer. Aside from that, the beer exudes depth and richness of character, nicely hiding its 10% ABV. Yes, dinged on the appearance, but otherwise an exceptional imperial stout.

Poured at 54° F; no bottling info noted.

------------

Knocked out a few other minor chores while Mrs. BeerGoot went grocery shopping. I'm watching some darkening skies out west and hoping for some afternoon showers, but who knows around here...

Peach63, SABERG, RobertB412 and 16 others like this.
  32. LesDewitt4beer

LesDewitt4beer Aspirant (285) Jan 25, 2021 Minnesota
    Society

Good day Advocates!
    Heat wave here, lawn work 9-12:30. Done. Feels like a blast furnace outside.
    3 Floyds Zombie Dust. New to me (pre-sampled a couple days ago) and I haven't rated it. Not sure if I want to based on the wiggy uber-hyped ratings I've seen...but I probly will:grin:
    Having it now, it's a very nice DDH beer yet it doesn't have the drinkability I personally like in a pale ale. Perhaps I like Galaxy as a single hop a bit more. Hmmm. Just bet myself $20 I do.
    Also the ABV% on my can dated 3/24/21 is 6.5% which is higher than what is posted on BA's page.
    The plot thickens...but it is a fine fine beer for sure. A solid 4 rating. I feel lucky to be able to have it today. I'm loving Beer Advocate!
    Cheers everyone! Be safe.:beers::beers:
    [​IMG]

Peach63, HopHunterCL, SABERG and 18 others like this.
  33. dennisthreeninefiveone

dennisthreeninefiveone Initiate (97) Aug 11, 2020 New Jersey
    Trader

Keogh Plan Kolsch, at Bull N Bear Brewery, a few years ago a few of the local bars were serving Imported Kolschs but they stopped. I enjoyed them but they were dropped. Haven’t seen any since. Bull n Bear decided to brew one. They did a good job to. The brewer claims it brewed to style. Served in a pint glass it’s a nice golden color with a white head. Mild aroma of malt. This beer seems slightly less dry than the German ones but that might just be my brain. Overall a great summer brew.

Peach63, HopHunterCL, SABERG and 16 others like this.
  34. GRPunk

GRPunk Meyvn (1,259) Apr 5, 2007 Michigan

New Wheat Beer Weekend...

School's out for summer!!! And it feels great.

This weekend was full of youth sports, graduation parties, and now some new beers.

First up is Bum's Beach from Ore Dock Brewing in Michigan's U-P. It was a very solid summer brew.

12 oz. can (~$2.10 at Copper Vine) brewed 03/16/21 poured into a weizen glass.
    A- A normal pour creates 1-finger of dense, foamy, off-white head. The body is a hazy, golden-yellow with loads of carbonation. The head settles to a thin, but fully covering foam. Foamy lace is left all about the glass.
    S- Cream of wheat. Orange zest. On the sweet side.
    T- Standard wheaty flavor. Some honey and floral notes. A hint of clove and citrus. Nice cereal malts too.
    M- Medium body. Creamy.
    O- A refreshing summer brew. Solid American wheat. Maybe not a lot of "wow," but it didn't mess things up either. Pleasantly surprised with this one.
    A-4 S-3.75 T-4 M-4 O-4

Peach63, HopHunterCL, SABERG and 18 others like this.
  35. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (6,055) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Moderator Society Trader

Good afternoon, weekenders! I've got a couple new beers to recap here. First, my partner and I picked up some BBQ from a well-known San Marco joint, and enjoyed alongside a beer at our favorite "local" bar (we were the only patrons, which I love).

[​IMG]
    Mocama / Main and Sixth Strongest Alibi

Strongest Alibi is a "Kveik IPA" with Zappa, El Dorado, and Wai-Iti, clocking in at a modest 6.5% ABV. Mocama makes an excellent NE-style IPA in Cosmico, and Main and Sixth is pretty reliable.

While this beer is really well crafted - very smooth, along with a crispy bite - the hop and yeast expression, together, are not to my liking. It's intensely green and herbal, but without any juiciness or pine to offset it. With the low-ish ABV, there isn't much malt sweetness, either.

I'm not saying it's a bad beer. I think this flavor profile might really work for someone else. It really doesn't work for me, though.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/58666/551241/?ba=Roguer#review
    3.77 / -6.0% (1st full review / 2nd overall rating)

Next up:

[​IMG]
    Untitled Art Espresso Honey Imperial Milk Stout

This one is much more to my liking, although it's an equally strange brew - just in a different direction.

According to the can, this is a 10.9% ABV imperial stout with honey, espresso, and milk sugar. Traditional wisdom would suggest the honey and milk sugar were added pre-fermentation and therefore would contribute to the mouthfeel, but not directly to the flavor (at least not the way they would post-fermentation).

Here, though, I strongly suspect that the honey, at the very least, was added post-fermentation, because there's really no other way for me to explain the flavor profile.

Both on the nose and the palate, there are strong (but not overpowering) notes of cinnamon and vanilla, giving the impression of a dessert like dulce de lecce, creme brulee, or flan. It's remarkable, really - and delicious.

I have to take the brewer at their word, based on the can, and assume that there is nothing else added to this beer. If that's the case, then in a strange way, this is a throwback to earlier craft stouts, where the goal was to craft delicate, rich, and specific flavor profiles, evoking specific flavors and desserts, without adding a ton of additives (yes, that sounds super dumb; if only another word existed that literally meant "adjunct", but wasn't "adjunct" so as to not offend gatekeepers of the Holy Craft Beer Dictionary, which apparently supersedes the actual dictionary, common sense, and even parlance common among professional brewers :rolling_eyes:). In other words: this tastes like a pastry stout without being a pastry stout.

Most importantly, this is delicious. Really, really damn good. I wish I'd picked up a four pack, even though it's pricey.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/47802/550384/?ba=Roguer#review
    4.36 / +2.1% (2nd full review / 3rd overall rating)

Cheers!

Peach63, HopHunterCL, SABERG and 17 others like this.
  36. GRPunk

GRPunk Meyvn (1,259) Apr 5, 2007 Michigan

New Hefeweizen

The second new review of the weekend was just "ok." Eighteen99 from Tripelroot right here in West MI did alright. It just came off as a little too refined for a style that I generally consider a little more rustic.

Now that I look at my review, the term "big banana" comes off as a little silly doesn't it?

12 oz. Can ($2.13 at Copper vine) poured into a Weihenstephan weizen glass.
    A- A normal pour creates a 1-finger, off-white head that quickly drops off to a light film. The body is just slightly hazy with a golden-yellow coloring and heavy carbonation. Little stick to be seen.
    S- Big, sweet banana. Light clove. Something between banana bread and over-ripe banana.
    T- Big banana as suggested by the aroma. Light clove. Some lemon in the finish. Sweet bready notes. Weird, almost apple pie-like thing going with the sweet and baking spice combo.
    M- Medium-light body with lots of carbonation. More spritzy than creamy.
    O- Meh. Not bad. Few U.S. interpretations seem to really nail this style. Light and refreshing. Almost too light/clean.
    A-3.25 S-3.5 T-3.25 M-3.25 O-3.25

Peach63, HopHunterCL, SABERG and 16 others like this.
  37. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (5,909) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

[​IMG] Poured into a 16 oz Nordic pint glass canned on 5/3/21. Pours a very attractive pinkish purple with a 2 finger sticky dark pink head that leaves thick streaks of lace with excellent retention. 5 Gorgeous

Aroma is black cherry, raspberry, blackberry, vanilla, and blueberry. 4.25

Taste follows black cherry, raspberry, blackberry, vanilla, and blueberry. 4.25

Mouthfeel is above average, plenty of carbonation, maybe a little dry, and at 5.5% easy drinking but loaded with flavor. 4.5

Overall this stuff is really special. Excellent all around sour. 4.25

Peach63, HopHunterCL, SABERG and 15 others like this.
  38. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (4,843) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Good Sunday afternoon, New Beer Swiggers and commentators. We're enjoying our first mini heat wave of the season and it was a hot drive up from the shore. The traffic was very heavy but everyone drove responsibly. Mrs. Mac took a different route and stopped at a blueberry farm so I'm looking forward to dessert tonight.

This can of Edward came to me via @Roy_Hobbs' ninja strike. I don't drink a lot of APAs; I prefer Double IPAs. But Edward is just outstanding Hill Farmstead worked the Centennial, Chinook, and Columbus combo to near perfection and the Simcoe and Warrior hops add to the taste complexity. I cannot imagine a more flavorable ale at 5.2% ABV.

Poured into a pint glass. It pours a hazy, muddy tangerine color with a half finger of creamy, milk-white head and thick, clinging lacing. Its very fragrant smell includes ripe tangerine, pineapple, and melon, along with fresh pine needles and floral hops. The taste offers a nearly perfect balance of tart, fairly bitter grapefruit rind and lemon peel and the sweetness of tangerine, pineapple, and a hint of berry from the Simcoe hops. At mid-sip there is a burst of resinous pine from the Chinook. Although not overly bitter, the blend of Centennial, Chinook, and Columbus provides a slightly piney, spicy finish. This ale packs a lot of substance for its 5.2% ABV. It has a great mouth feel with pleasant carbonation. Overall, Edward is one of the most satisfying APAs I've had in quite awhile. It absolutely merits its world-class rating.

4.49/5 rDev +1.1%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ross, thank you again for your generosity!

39. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Peach63, SABERG, SawDog505 and 12 others like this.
  40. LesDewitt4beer

LesDewitt4beer Aspirant (285) Jan 25, 2021 Minnesota
    Society

Wow. Just wow! It's been absolutely blazing hot up here for the past 4 days. Far too early for a run of temps like this. My "feels like" thermometer yesterday read 115F. Quite dangerous.

RobertB412, ChicagoJ and MacMalt like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.