New Beer Weekend #54

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by officerbill, Jul 31, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. officerbill

officerbill Champion (815) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

2:15 PM on a Saturday and no NBW for 7/31-8/1? Some Mod please feel free to move this if I missed it.

A while back my wife bought me a Kwak glass from some thrift store. I said "thanks Hon" while thinking "what the hell am I going to do with this?". Well, guess what showed up on the shelf last week? At $13/750ml how could I resist?
    [​IMG]

The bottle describes this as "An original bright amber ale with a dense & creamy head, it's a top fermented ale. A nice explosion in mouth of biscuit, banana, hints of orange marmalade, notes of caramel and spices to finish on a delicate bitterness." Followed by the legend of how and why the beer, and signature glass, were developed. This is one of the few bottle descriptions to be almost right on the money. 8.4% ABV, BB 11/23, out of the fridge for about 20 minutes before pouring.

In the sunlight Kwak is a beautiful orange amber with a thick long lasting tan head and a continuous stream of tiny bubbles. Outside the sun the beer changes to the color of dark honey.
    The smell is relatively mild with some banana, clove, and apple
    The flavor, WOW! Good God, this is good!
    Bananas, caramel, dates, sticky buns, raisins, over-ripe apple or pears, burnt sugar, some clove, maybe a little bit of gingerbread, no hops. The mentioned marmalade shows up as a mild pithy bitter/sweet part of the slightly sticky aftertaste. All of the flavors open up and mature as the beer warms.

If you want hops in your beer don't bother with Kwak. This is a sweet beer with no noticeable hop presence and a profile almost reminiscent of a dunkelweiss.
    Very smooth, rich, easy to drink and you don't feel the 8.4% until the end of the bottle. As an added bonus there is a fun little "glug-glug" when the ale reaches the bottom bulb

4.29/5 rDev +12.6%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

AirBob, GRPunk, champ103 and 36 others like this.
  2. jonphisher

jonphisher Defender (610) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

I was confused to @officerbill its my educational reading up until I join in. Thanks for starting this weekend, I'll be posting one, probably two, today.

3. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,188) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

The thread has been a late start for two weeks now. I do wonder why.

Since I'm not normally a morning drinker (even on Saturday morning, and even though I'm retired), I did miss seeing it, but couldn't really start it myself.

I will be back later with a new pale ale from a Minneapolis brewer.

Thanks for kicking it off, @officerbill.

4. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Meyvn (1,387) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois

Thanks for kicking things off today @officerbill , I've only had Kwak once with the traditional set up and it was a treat.

Have two canned in June planned for the weekend after which I will begin going through a bunch of new to me beers, starting with lighter summer beers before attacking the heavy hitters which have added up over the past few years.

I don't by many from this brewery since they typically roll out haze or lactose beers, but they are typically solid producing standard styles.

Hop Butcher Alemerica The Beautiful

[​IMG]

Can Notes:
    16 oz canned 6/29/21 @10:01:02, single can $3.65 plus tax. 1776 Never 4Get.
    Mosaic-hopped American Pale Ale, 6.0% ABV. Ripe Citrus, Pleasant Dank, Tropical Fruit.

Appearance: Clear tan pour, mild carbonation, weak egg white head dissipates quickly leaving nominal lacing. 3.25

Aroma:
    Pleasant aroma mild in strength, pine, grapefruit, mango, citrus, sweetness held in check by a dank piney bitterness. 3.75

Taste: Consistent with aroma though much stronger. Slightly bitter, dank pine leads well, tropical fruits complement well with tingling sweetness, grapefruit and mango. Get a pleasant weed backing as well, minimal malt, they way I like it. I'm really enjoying this. 4.5

Mouthfeel:
    Light, crisp and easy. Carbonation is negligible, easier drinking than a 6% should be. Slightly dry and bitter overall though well balanced and consistent to style, crisp clean finish. 4.25

Overall:
    Didn't look all that great after the pour, but it's better to taste marvelous than to look marvelous. Brewed consistent with the brewery tasting notes, a well executed pale ale, dry dank, pine bitterness with a nice complementary fruit makes this an overall winner. Well done Hop Butcher! 4.25

Review powered by Pat and David's excellent piece. The film worth checking out as well for 80s nostalgia.

GRPunk, champ103, MacMalt and 30 others like this.
  5. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (7,360) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Torch & Crown Brewing Co. -- Bracer (helles lager)

[​IMG]

4/5 rDev +4.2%
    look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Light amber body, clear; lively carbonation; thick, frothy, white head. Beautiful smell; floral with a touch of freshly cut pear. Light sweetness to the flavor with a mild malt backbone; little perceived hop bitterness; clean tasting. Light to medium body; smooth and slick; crisp.

This is a fine beer, flavorful with a mildly sweet disposition.

Poured at 54 °F; can bottom data: 1/13/21 MANNY ROCKS

--------------

Off to a slow start this afternoon, just like this NBW thread. It's okay to pace ourselves...:grin:

GRPunk, champ103, MacMalt and 29 others like this.
  6. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,188) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Continuing with my multi-week tastings through selected Minnesota brewers, today's beer comes from a Minneapolis brewer with decently high ratings locally and here on BA. I've tried 5 of their beers before: 3 different IPAs, a pale ale, and a blonde ale.

My ratings indicate they do well with IPAs, not so well with blondes and pale ales. But, my experience with them overall is limited to the 5 beers.

And, I'm always ready to try a new pale ale.

Fulton Pale Ale Project
    This is a Brewer's Beer (yup, that subtitle's on the label...)

From the brewer:
    Simply put -- Pale Ale is the quintessential American craft beer, arguably deserving of more credit for the success and growth of our industry than any other beer style. And in an era when breweries seem to be using more candy and cereal than malt and hops in their beers -- we think it’s time to rediscover the Pale Ale.

This is the FULTON Pale Ale Project. We are on a journey, a mission, (a side quest?), to craft the perfect pale ale. It's an audacious project, we know. Will we achieve it? Don't know; you tell us if you think we've done it. But we know this: Pale Ale is the purest expression of American craft beer, and we're having a hell of a lot of fun bettering our own best version of it.

Dry hopped w/ Galaxy & Nelson Sauvin.

There is a QR code on the label to scan to "find out ... what's inside", which just takes you to their web site page for the beer, which I already quoted above.

Well, a lot of marketing puffery, to be sure. Does the beer itself measure up?

[​IMG]

Aroma has moderate strength. It brings bright citrus and some piney elements, backed by fresh bread.

Amber-orange, somewhat hazy, carbonation is a bit skimpy. I probably was over-gentle with the pour resulting in a ½ inch white head, thick and creamy with an almost nitro appearance. The head has decent retention.

The flavor is pine-forward, with a mild bittering at the start, growing a bit through to the finish. Beneath the pine are the citrus and bread flavors, a little "other" fruits, but the taste is definitely dominated by the resiny pine and bitter hops. This is like a "west coast" style APA (no such thing, but I use that descriptively). Comparing this to the recently reviewed SNPA done for "SNPA Day", I like this beer better. I like the up-front unabashed pine and bitterness, cranked up above the somewhat (IMO) subdued SNPA. The finish is dry with a very enjoyable lingering piney bitterness in the aftertaste.

Moderate body, more substantial than many APAs.

Overall, an excellent APA. Well done.

L: 4.0 | S: 4.25 | T: 4.25 | F: 3.75 | O: 4.25 | Rating: 4.19

GRPunk, champ103, MacMalt and 28 others like this.
  7. LesDewitt4beer

LesDewitt4beer Disciple (381) Jan 25, 2021 Minnesota
    Society

New as of yesterday and WOW! Very impressive Kolsch action here.
    Blackstack teams up with Bricksworth and drops this heavenly beer. My rating may appear high but in my travels I've tried a fair amt of Kolsch beers. Many in good oulde Germany. This one kicks kabooty... esp in the correct glass. It might even be considered smooth for it's style. It's superb.
    30-40 min drive from my stube.
    L 4.25 S: 4.0 T: 4.5 F: 4.5 O: 4.25
    Pours a pale light transparent straw yellow with a chill haze. It has a thin fizzy head and is med-carbonated. The nose is flowery, white bread, grass and light grains. It's taste is very clean, lightly sweet and fairly hopped with a tad of bitterness lingering. Very bright tasting and it's feel is right there with the brilliant taste as it has a brisk light-bodied mouthfeel that is rather crisp with a fast finish. It is moderately dry. Overall this Kolsch is superb in every way. Crushable, sipping, great tasting, complimentary and excellent in it's style. I done cleaned out my local store :nerd: Cheers BA!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#7 LesDewitt4beer, Jul 31, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  8. Roy_Hobbs

Roy_Hobbs Crusader (777) Jan 21, 2017 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Work has been beyond crazy the last two weeks. It's a beautiful day here in CT, but I decided to do ~9 hours of work to try to catch up some, and it was definitely the right decision. Big weight off my shoulders having a bunch of items off the "to do" list. Anyway, now it's time to enjoy a new beer! This one was sent to me by @MacMalt. It's Wall Kill, a Sour IPA from Drowned Lands.
    [​IMG]
    I edited this photo to remove some shadows, which improved how it looks in the photo vs. real life. For whatever reason, I find the real beer all kinds of ugly. That said, onto the review.

3.96/5 rDev -6.4%
    look: 2.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Not sure what it is about the appearance of this beer, but I don't like it. Murky, muddled orange / brown with almost no head. Not sure how to rate to style, but I think it's pretty damn ugly. Aroma is exponentially better than the appearance. The vanilla is really nice, but not overpowering. Lurking beneath are some hops and the rhubarb / strawberry. Taste is also really nice. I pick up more of the strawberry and much less of the vanilla, but it still works well. Super easy to drink. I'd love to see just a tiny bit more carbonations, but overall, this is a beer I'd gladly drink more of.

Thanks, Rob for sending this my way. I really enjoyed this one.

9. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Poo-Bah (2,390) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Society Trader

[​IMG]Icarus ounces of feathers pilsner.
    ...appearance is a very cloudy pale orange
    ... body is around medium with carbonation being just below average but overall a decent feel.
    ...aroma is citrus fruit,peel,with orange standing out a bit. Very mild pine, earthy honey and malt.
    ....taste has a mild sweetness with an even more subdued bitterness. Citrus peel,fruit, and again orange standing out a bit.
    Overall its not what I think of when I have a pilsner so im not sure what they were going for here. It was an interesting flavorful beer so I cant say it wasn't enjoyable.
    It was a local beer so it always feels good to support local breweries [​IMG]

10. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (6,001) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

[​IMG] Thanks @officerbill for kicking this off finally.
    Poured into a 13 oz Teku glass canned 7/20/21. Pours a very attractive hazy orange yellow with a finger sticky white head that leaves thin streaks of lace with nice nice retention. 4.5

Aroma is peach, melon, papaya, mandarin, and apricot. 4.25

Taste follows peach, cantaloupe, papaya, mandarin, and apricot balanced and really nice. 4.25

Mouthfeel is pretty big, not sticky or dry, soft gentle creamy carbonation, and at 8.4% it is big on flavor but easy going down. 4.75

Overall this is another excellent offering from Tree House Brewing Company. Juice Project with Citra + Chinook. 4.25

11. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Poo-Bah (3,033) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

F—- 2020 bourbon BA imperial cream stout with maple syrup & vanillla

[​IMG]

4.33/5 rDev -2%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle received from @ovaltine in a strike from Bif 13

Black motor oil poured poured into an Ipa glass , fizzy one finger brown foam. Cap , good retention , settles to ring with constant carbonation volcanically producing more islands

Aroma is maple and vanilla candy , dark roasts, hint of char

Mouthfeel is heavy, full , syrupy, bit of heat

Delicious beer , thanks @ovaltine

GRPunk, champ103, MacMalt and 27 others like this.
  12. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (3,780) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

We’re laking it again this weekend, and tonight’s the big campground potluck, so my apologies for the weird pic. This is Air So Thicc from Transient.

[​IMG]

4.35/5 rDev +5.6%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a beautiful hazy straw color with a dense, creamy white head. Huge pineapple and passion fruit notes on the nose, with a bit of ripe tangerine as well.

The pineapple and passion fruit are forward on the taste, with the tangerine at the back end accompanied by a sweet oat flavor for a nice balanced finish. Absolutely delicious, IMHO.

The mouthfeel is full and actually a bit dry, which was a pleasant surprise. Transient continues to do a fantastic job with the hazies they produce.

13. HoppingMadMonk

Society Trader

14th star maple breakfast stout
    ...almost solid black appearance.
    ..medium light carbonation with about an average body.
    ....aroma is roasted malt,dark bakers chocolate, roasted coffee beans, black coffee, malt and chocolate .
    ....taste is slightly dry,roasted malts and coffee beans,dark chocolate, malt and chocolate.
    ...overall it was a really good beer just almost zero maple in the aroma and taste[​IMG]

14. Roy_Hobbs

Roy_Hobbs Crusader (777) Jan 21, 2017 Connecticut
    Society Trader

First beer went down very quickly so it's onto #2. This one is courtesy of @sulldaddy who was generous enough to pick this up for me on a recent trip to Central PA as part of my winnings from our EPL fantasy football (soccer) league last season. If there are any soccer fans out there, particularly those who watch the English Premier League (@WunderLlama ?) consider signing up for our EPL fantasy football league (details in the Beer it Forward Forum). Tons of fun.

Anywho, onto the beer. This is a crowler of Lemon Hibiscus from Wolf Brewing Co. in Mechanicsburg, PA. From what I can tell, this brewery just opened about a month ago. As such, this is the first review of this beer on BA.
    [​IMG]
    Not a bad beer for a new brewery. Not on par with the best of the best with this style, but I don't at all mean this as a criticism. Considering how new they are, they did a really nice job with this.

3.54/5 rDev 0%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours an effervescent, clear fairly bright red. Not traditional in its appearance, but still relatively nice looking. Aroma is relatively indistinct. I suppose it's the hibiscus I'm picking up. Smells good, just doesn't have a ton of complexity. Taste has the floral notes from the hibiscus and it works pretty well. Little bit of funk on the back-end. Not quite as lively as the pour indicated. Easy drinking. Good beer for a nice summer day.

15. beergoot

Society Trader

Anchorage Brewing Co. -- Beneath The Water (India pale ale)

[​IMG]

3.73/5 rDev -7.7%
    look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Hazy peach-orange colored body; relatively thin yet lasting head, some foam ringing the glass. Very light fresh citrus smell with an inkling of biscuit and oats. Fresh citrus flavor; lemon and orange; tangy; mild biscuit flavor. Full body mouthfeel; soft yet acidic.

Anchorage produces some killer hazy IPAs. This one isn't bad but rather forgettable overall.

Poured out at 60 °F; no canning data noted on can.

-------------

Got to slice up some veggies for a German sausage dish I'm cooking tonight. The green pepper is the first one of the season that I picked a few days ago (I've already had several nice sriracha chili peppers, too). The German sausage is locally made. Besides some beer and sautéed button mushrooms, that'll be it. Should be simple, delicious, and filling...

16. jonphisher

Trader

@HoppingMadMonk i have had that beer several times in the past. In my experience I agree zero maple. I don’t even want a lot of maple just a touch, that beer I’ve never noticed it.

@sulldaddy how was Wolf Brewing I saw them pop up in an add. I am partial to all things wolf.

MacMalt, JayORear, SawDog505 and 6 others like this.
  17. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (6,162) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Moderator Society Trader

Good afternoon, Weekenders! I'm not sure how many new beers I'll have this weekend, but I am sure that this first one is a winner: Big Mother triple IPA anniversary beer from Mother Earth Brewing.

[​IMG]

10.8% ABV, not quite three months old, and you''d never guess either; it has aged beautifully, and is even smoother than similar strength IPAs like Hoptimum and Hopslam.

That's not to say it's as good as those beers, but it's not too far behind.

The aroma is very WC IPA-ish, just with a heavy malt bill that is impossible to hide. On the palate, it's both very smooth and not at all syrupy, a mouthfeel flaw I've found is common among old school high ABV IPAs. Flavors are tropical and juicy, semi-sweet, a bit citruy, and very resinous. It's a bit dank mid-sip; by the back third, it's pungent and earthy.

Again, a really good beer. I don't regret having another three to down this weekend. :grinning:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22610/79108/?ba=Roguer#review
    4.04 / +3.1%

GRPunk, champ103, MacMalt and 30 others like this.
  18. HoppingMadMonk

Society Trader

Jacks abby ray catcher lemongrass lager
    ...semi clearamber
    ...medium light carbonation with a just below average body.
    ..aroma isnt overpowering but theres lemongrass, malt, floral earthy honey,lemon peel.
    ..taste is malty,mildly sweet honey, earthy hops, some lemongrass and citrus peel but not in par with what showed up in the aroma.
    ... overall an interesting beer that tastes better as it warms up a bit. Not my favorite from what I consider an excellent brewery but still very good[​IMG]

GRPunk, champ103, MacMalt and 25 others like this.
  19. jonphisher

Trader

This week I was looking at the singles and an Irish beer caught my eye. I don't know much about Irish breweries and haven't explored them much so I thought it was a good choice. I also love low abv beers so when I saw this was only 4% and nitro, I had to buy it.

Murphy's Irish Stout

[​IMG]

Pours a very very dark brown, it comes off as black but the edges and holding to light reveals the dark brown. Beautiful creamy nitro head with a nice off white color with a hint of brown. Some really nice lacing that usually comes with nitro beers.

Aroma is roasty, the the smell of a very light coffee, then some wood-like notes. I’m no wood worker so I’m not gonna pretend to pick a certain one but it’s definitely there.

The flavor follows the nose. The roastiness comes out really nice and flavorful. I didn’t notice any chocolate in the nose but the flavors meld together to taste like a lighter chocolate which oddly finishes like a dark chocolate, because of the substantial roast going on. Really enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is light, smooth and creamy. I’m really thrown off by the bitter aspect, I can’t tell if it’s bitter or it’s just the roastiness making me think it’s more bitter than it is.

I love this beer, complex flavor, low abv and super drinkable. Im glad I tried this beer, in fact I think I’m going to pick up a four pack next time I’m at the store I got this. I haven’t had a Guinness in quite some time but this reminds me of a Guinness with just a little more roast and flavor going on. A perfect future side by side @cjgiant. I’m sure the comparison is common and it’s been done but I’d love to do it to see how similar and different they are.

Up next a local hoppy beer…

GRPunk, champ103, MacMalt and 26 others like this.
  20. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,901) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Hey what's going on?!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend I most certainly am myself for sure.

I started off on Friday with some Bourbon County Anniversary Stout, that's the Weller, and as far as new beers only a small handful to partake in this weekend.

Fun fact. My next new beer after this will be my 5000th unique Untappd check in.. ha ha... and I think I know the perfect ironic beer for that... but first...

I just got back from a bike ride and this is hitting so nicely right now.

[​IMG]

Poured from the can into a nonic(k) pint glass.

This is definitely a real nice looking radler. Rich lathering head at just over three fingers, off white, and slightly pink hued in color also. Dissolves nicely with a foamy touch, and leaves a deep lemon to grapefruit orange opaque body color. Aggressive bold head and a rich thick looking body, totally unexpected.

Aroma is straight up rich grapefruit oil and huge amounts of pith and zest. Doesn't come off artificial, but doesn't provide much other beer character either to hint at. A one note nose, but a dang good one that isn't sugary sweet either for this style.

Palate gives just the right amount of goods nearly. Slightly wet bodied, with a big amount of fresh squeezed grapefruit juice and pithy oils. Slightly bready finish which is real nice, sweetness dialed down to a minimum if down right completely off, leaving for a real unexpected malt dryness that just makes you want more.

A real excellent fruited beer. I love that this isn't really sweet either, but hits somewhere between fruited excess, and dried out malt flavors. Could pound these all day, good stuff.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: | BA Generated Score: 3.99999999999999999

Cheers!

21. jkrich

jkrich Meyvn (1,327) Nov 1, 2001 Florida
    Society

Continuing my survey of German Pilseners during the summer heat of Florida: while this one from Veltins is refreshing and thirst-quenching, it does have some rough edges, as it begins with a solid bitterness only to become rather sweet in the mouthfeel. It reminds me somewhat of a mass-produced beer. Well, the can label is certainly classy and elegant, just not the beer. It is still good for a warm evening.
    [​IMG]

22. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (2,910) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Good evening NBW
    I'm still working through my North and South Carolina vacation haul. Starting tonight with Green Man Porter
    [​IMG]

12oz undated can purchased at the brewery 3 weeks ago poured into a shaker pint at fridge temp 6% ABV 40 IBU. The beer pours mostly bright medium brown in color with tan colored head. The head recedes to a thin ring and single layer of tiny bubbles. The aroma is mild with roasted and toasted malt notes and a hint of earthiness. The taste is semisweet toasted malt with a hint of roast malt, bittersweet chocolate and a tangy, medium bitter, earthy hop finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with average carbonation and a mostly dry finish. Overall, very good to excellent English porter.

I'm tempted to say if Green Man were available locally, I would go through a bit of their ESB, IPA and this beer. However, I can't tell you the last time I picked up Founder's Porter which available everywhere here.

My wife thought these half pint shakers were "too cute" and bought me a pair. Not sure how often I'll use them. I tend toward high volume more than low...

Cheers all and enjoy the new beer in your glass today!

23. officerbill

officerbill Champion (815) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

Just shows the difference in preferences. Ray Catcher has been my staple beer this summer, I've bought at least a couple of cases of it.

24. jonphisher

Trader

This next one is from a local brewery I’ve grown to love. I’ve never had this one though, their flagship ipa.

Swoosh - Bonesaw Brewing

[​IMG]

Pours a very opaque pale with shades of yellow. Really nice fluffy thick initial head, settles to a nice thin layer of white froth, some minor lacing.

Aroma is candied oranges, peaches, and apricot. It has the slightest hint of dank on the end.

Taste is mostly on the citrus side of the aroma notes, along with a little bit of the apricot. It actually has a nice soft malt balance to it too.

Mouthfeel is medium, nice clean finishing ipa. It finishes pretty dry and has a nice noticeable bitterness to it.

I’m enjoying this beer and will buy again. It’s one of those few new ipas that has one foot in the past and one in the present. Really tasty.

For my fellow fans, thank god we have these four back in our lives…

[​IMG]

There is finally light again!

#24 jonphisher, Aug 1, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  25. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (2,910) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

New Beer #2
    I picked up a single just to see if I need to go back for a four pack. Founder's Bottle Shop Series Highball Drifter
    [​IMG]

12oz bottled 07.07.21 (24 days ago) poured into a oversized shifter at fridge temp 11% ABV 25 IBU. The beer pours medium brown in color with mahogany highlights and very light brown head. The head recedes to an irregular ring and a few tiny bubbles. Minimal lacing. The aroma is medium in strength featuring cherry and orange bitters and a hint of barrel. The taste is more of the same with caramel, cherry, orange peel, vanilla and oak barrel. Minimal bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with just less than medium carbonation and a somewhat dry finish. Overall, very good. More focused on the cherries and orange peel than the barrel, but every enjoyable.

I might just be picking up a four pack tomorrow. Very enjoyable. Cheers all!

26. jonphisher

Trader

The beer manager at a store I go to got me to try this. He said it’s his favorite, I said “is it good?” His response “I like it and it’s a hell of a golfing beer.” If I golfed I would agree and I think it describes the beer well, sort of matches your take as well.

MacMalt, JayORear, cjgiant and 5 others like this.
  27. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (3,780) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

#2, I like the Dragon’s Milk series, but it mostly seems to fall just a bit short of that “world class” position. I’ve had this in my beer fridge for a while, let’s see where it lands.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4.1/5 rDev +4.1%
    look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Pours a murky caramel color with a light tan head that dissipates immediately, the nose has oak, toffee, and stone fruit aromas. Pretty nice.

The toffee and stone fruit flavors are the stars on the taste, and there’s a subtle boozy note to accompany the oak on the back of the palate. Really tasty stuff, but the mouthfeel is a bit on the watery side, which I didn’t expect.

This is worthy of a try, but I wonder if it would improve with a couple of years under its belt. It just seems a smidge ….. small for a 10% ABV beer.

28. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Poo-Bah (3,033) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Springtime Sipper by. Barrique Brewing and Blending

4.28/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Caged and corked bottle poured into an ipa glass produces a fluffy two finger white crown over a translucent deep amber liquid

Aroma is yeasty tartness , watermelon

Taste is tart, sour patch watermelon

Crisp clean tartness

Good beer

[​IMG]

GRPunk, champ103, MacMalt and 24 others like this.
  29. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (11,252) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

New Province Cascadian Colossus West Coast DIPA, 8.7% ABV; 4.15 overall

Pours an effervescent gold with 3 fingers of fluffed up cream colored head. Above average head retention & lacing

S: Breadyness & pine

T: Follows the nose, some grapefruit & dryness as well , plus grassyness up front . Cakeyness, pine, & lime as this warms, plus some woody notes & just a hint of pineapple. Pineapple builds in the finsish, pine & dryness is King

MF: Medium body with moderate carbonation. Body thickens up as this warms, pretty good balance

Pretty darn drinkable & super solid take on OG West DIPA

30. HoppingMadMonk

Society Trader

Chilltown pilsner.
    ...clear amber
    ... medium bodied with medium carbonation
    . Aroma is grain,cereal, toast, malt, floral honey.
    ...taste is grain,cereal,very slight sweetness, earthy hops.
    ...overall a nice beer,stays in the middle lane and doesn't stray towards extreme.[​IMG]

31. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (4,820) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

Good evening NBW, joining in later after enjoying a nice dinner. Today will probably be my only day contributing to the thread as tomorrow night me and the wife are going to see Rise Against! Starting tonight with Dovetail Kölsch, thanks @FBarber!
    4.08/5 rDev -1.4%
    look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Thank you FBarber for this
    16 oz can poured into a stange

A- A somewhat hazy golden straw with a two finger white head.

S- Wheat, bready malts, earthy, some pear and grape like fruitiness.

T- Bready malts, wheat, earthy, mild grape like fruitiness, hints of lemons.

M- Smooth, dry, light to medium body.

O- A tasty and well done Kölsch, easy to drink with a good balance of flavors.
    [​IMG]
    It’s going to be a Chicago heavy night for me, hoping to get in one more review tonight, cheers!

32. beergoot

Society Trader

Methinks me smells a Fremont Batch 5000 coming up...

JayORear, kemoarps, FBarber and 2 others like this.
  33. Smakawhat

Society

not really... I mean... if I had one... I WOULD!!

If someone wants to SEND ME a real special beer... (HINT HINT!!) yeah that would be cool.

... anyway... I am not bitter. :stuck_out_tongue:

MacMalt, JayORear, kemoarps and 3 others like this.
  34. Amendm

Amendm Savant (969) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

Another new one from 67 Degrees Brewing of scenic Franklin Massachusetts.
    Grizzly, an enjoyable American Brown Ale.
    Cheers.
    [​IMG]

3.66/5 rDev 0%
    look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12-oz. pour at the brewery. Dark amber-brown color, semi-opaque and cloudy. A short lived off-white fizzy head leaves behind broken arches of lacing.

Mild swell, fresh baked bread (wheat and Italian) with herbal/floral hops. In the background, grainy wheat and faint alcohol try to hide. A hint of candy sweetness balanced by toasted bread arrives late.

Neutral taste with low hop bitterness, toasted malt flavor prevents a toffee-like sweetness from building to semi-sweet.
    Chocolate and faint instant coffee appear along with baked apple and pear. The finish is long as flavors slowly drop off, toasted malt flavor and hops with a little added bitterness linger on.

Medium-light body with reserved carbonation, soft and smooth feel overall. Great balance of sweet/dry, neutral taste throughout the drink. Lightly hopped yet well flavored without heavy bitterness. Warms well, alcohol is hard to find.

GRPunk, champ103, MacMalt and 23 others like this.
  35. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (6,162) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Moderator Society Trader

Same brewery, similar ABV, very different style.

[​IMG]
    Mother Earth Four Seasons - BA Coconut Cake imperial stout

This is an 11.8% imperial stout with chocolate, vanilla, lactose, and coconut, aged in bourbon barrels.

On the nose, every bit of that comes to play. It smells like a lovely coconut chocolate cake from several feet away; up close, the bourbon becomes equally noticeable yet complementary. Seriously, this beer smells amazing, right up there with the best flavored BA imperial stouts.

On the palate, all of the same flavors are present, but mixed up. It's like the aroma gives you a lineup of world-class fighters, showing each in their impressiveness, and implying you're in for one hell of a fight night. And then ... instead, you get a complete melee, a twisted brawl of tangled limbs, impossible to tell which belongs to whom.

That's not a bad thing. I enjoy (watching) a good brawl as much as anyone. But it's certainly a less beautiful and aesthetic experience as watching a series of high-profile individual lineups, where you can see each fighter's skill and expertise showcased and highlighted.

In other words: it's good. But it's not mind-blowing.

One major problem? There's a lot of bitterness on the palate: from the roasted malt, from the oak, and even from the toasted coconut. That's great for an RIS. That's a bit dissonant in a dessert stout, though. It's like the way most people react to Jinjer's music; "That ... doesn't sound like it belongs here."

(Seriously, everyone should check that out, not just metal heads. Only metal heads will like it, though. :stuck_out_tongue: )

So at the end of the day, I'm really enjoying this beer, quite a bit. But damn, the drop off from the promise of the nose to the execution on the palate is stark. And it still tastes very good! Maybe even excellent! But it does not stand among the best of world class flavored BA stouts - and yes, on the nose, I thought it had a puncher's chance.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22610/541381/?ba=Roguer#review
    4.18 / +6.4%

Cheers!

36. beergoot

Society Trader

...well, just a WAG based on you somewhat cryptic hint of what your beer 5000 might be...now I'm really curious as to what it might be...but I'm a patient man...:sunglasses:

37. Smakawhat

Society

well there you have it.. 5000th unique checked in beer.

didn't realize several breweries made their own take on this beer!!!

[​IMG]

Poured from the can into a tulip glass.

Cream bright white and whipped up looking head. Looks literally like a dollop of cream. Body color if creates a good contrast, a deep lemon and solid glowing body, giving a look to the beer of total lemon meringue pie colors. The head soups and drips down the sides of the glass with its' whipped lacing and character also. Very neat looking beer.

Interesting aroma. Spiced hints of fruit, and quite tart acidic quality. There's a faint soft vanilla behind this as well which is nice. However, the tartness is borderline medicinal as well unfortunately.

Palate still makes some pleasure. A bit hinting wet, but with a nice fruit exotic quality, and mellow sensing tartness in the mid palate. Interesting that it seems a little too light bodied, as the finish almost has a milky and creamy texture/flavor as well which is very nice. Minimal sourness, which is not a bad thing here.

A pretty straightforward fruited sour, but lacks a good nose.

look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75 |

Cheers!

38. Smakawhat

Society

It wasn't that big of a deal, but honestly there will be more.

Speaking of Freemont, I have had very few of their special aged brews, but the few that I have tried I absolutely thought were excellent.

I would love to have more of those beers!! They aren't possible where I am.

SO AS I WAS RE-ITERATING If .. ANY ONE... wants to... SEND ME... tasty BEER!! that's cool too.... hint hint...

He's still not bitter about it...:confused::grin:

Edit: Interestingly that was a little bit over my 4800th review on BA... would have been neat to have the numbers close though

#38 Smakawhat, Aug 1, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  39. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (11,252) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Prairie Just the Juice, Kettle Imperial Pastry Sour ( their description, not mine, but I kind of get it ) with Blood Orange, Vanilla, Mango & Apricot. 7.3% ABV, 4.14 overall

Pours an effervescent & very hazed amber, beige head goes MIA immediately. Very murky, zero head retention & lacing

S: Vanilla, Orange & Apricot

T: Vanilla, mango, dryness, & a touch if sour/tart orange up front. Some orange creamsicle notes mix with mango, tartness & a little pineapple as this warms. Finishes sweet with orange, vanilla & apricot, a little tartness

MF: Fairly chewy in the body with slight carbonation, some acidity & enamel stripping stickyness

Was shocked at how much I liked this. The sweet, tart & acidic play off each other well

40. CaptainHate

CaptainHate Champion (827) Apr 22, 2006 Ohio

Barrel-Aged in Bourbon Barrels Old Rasputin XXIII

[​IMG]

When I first read about this in Beer News & Releases it was after I'd been indisposed for a prolonged period and the thread was already over a month old so I was worried I was shut out. I called my usual suspects and they had nada. I checked the North Coast finder and they listed two places; one about a mile from me and the other about five miles but it had changed ownership and I was afraid didn't have the same juice with distributors. The first place hadn't even heard of this so that was depressing. A few days later I stopped by the other place and lo and behold! Some distro guys must look out for the place because they regularly sell Old Raspy and Old Stock which has been aged at the brewery.

So here I am! What is most impressive is how well balanced everything is. You can smell the bourbon as soon as the cap is popped but it's not overwhelming. Nor is the booze. Just a rich molasses, licorice and malt blend of perfection. To the cellaring mavens, such as @Beersnake1 who I know has tried this already, are you planning on aging this? Because I don't know if this can be improved upon. But that's why we experiment amirite? Another North Coast success story which never gets old.?

Beersnake1, GRPunk, champ103 and 25 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.