New Beer Weekend #60

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SawDog505, Sep 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (6,039) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

[​IMG] It is the weekend and time to give us some feedback on a new brew for you. Pictures are great, but also a description explaining why you loved it, just enjoyed it, or why it wasn’t your jam. Can be short or long that is on you. Take a little extra time and make us jealous of your new beer or glad that we passed on that one.

Poured into a 16 oz tulip glass best before 8/16/22 assuming it means it was canned that day this year. Pours a very attractive dark orange with a finger plus sticky white head that leaves some thin lines of lace as slowly settles into a thick layer of bubbles. 4.5

Aroma coffee grounds, pumpkin, nutmeg, vanilla beans, brown sugar, and cinnamon. 4.25

Taste follows coffee, pumpkin, nutmeg, vanilla, and a hint of cinnamon in the finish. 4.25

Mouthfeel is above average, creamy and smooth because of the nitro, maybe a little dry, and at 8.6% really easy going down on a cool morning. 4.25

Overall this is my favorite variant of this now and I hope they can continue to do the big cans when using nitro. I am a huge fan when they do the nitro on beers. Nitro Warlock would be awesome, hint hint, wink wink. Cheers all and please reflect today about what happened 20 years ago and how that terrible day brought this nation together because of the bravery of so many Americans. Those heroes didn’t have a color, they all where just heroic Americans with the same common goal. 4.25

ChicagoJ, b9d9, Premo88 and 32 others like this.
  2. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Poo-Bah (3,087) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Prisms of No Color by Hidden Hand

4/5 rDev -1%
    look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

[​IMG]

Pint can received from @FBarber in ninja strike associated with Bif13 . New beer, new brewery to me

Can poured into a Nordic IPA, results in a hazy orange liquid capped by a dense creamy white one finger foam crown. Good retention ,settles to a thick layer, good lacings

Uses citra, Vic secret and galaxy hops

“And pineapple mountain sides put arms around the unsuspecting passion fruit city”

Aroma is pineapple , tropical fruit, whiff of pine

Taste is dank , earthy , pine , pine resin

Good sudsing, a hop bite that nicely lingers

Good beer

++++New BIF#14 sign up closes tomorrow!!!!+++

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/nbs-bif-14-sign-up-thread.661088/

3. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,134) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

What do you think of when you see “Farmhouse” beer?

My wife and I recently visited a small, local brewery: Locust Lane.

On the electronic beer menu board there was a beer branded as Farmhouse Pils. My wife asked: “Is that some sort of Belgian beer?” I replied “No” because I checked out the tap list prior to going to the brewery; I had foreknowledge here. But I would be willing to bet that most beer consumers would associate “Farmhouse” with Belgian beers like Saison, Grisette, etc.

So, why did Locust Lane decide to name this beer as Farmhouse Pils you might ask. From the brewery’s website:

“Farmhouse Pils Pilsner - German

5% ABV

When our head brewer receives a beer recipe from a Bavarian hop farmer, you better believe you’re in for a delicious classic! Our Farmhouse Pilsner is stacked with a large amount of Tettnang hops providing a noble spice backbone while emitting mild fruit and earthy flavors to please the palate. Let’s not forget to mention that we dry hopped this Pilsner to level up the flavor profile! Each sip is like relaxing in a wheat field under a sunny German sky.”

While at the brewery’s tasting room I had a chance to speak to the Assistant Brewer who was working the bar that evening. He informed me that the “Bavarian hop farmer” was somebody that the folks of Victory Brewing knew (and have bought hops from) and they fostered the connection for Locust Lane. I am aware that Ron Barchet of Victory has purchased Tettnang hops from a family hop farmer, Ludwig Locher, for many years so my guess is that Ludwig was the source of the beer recipe for Farmhouse Pils.

I also asked the Assistant Brewer whether the decision to include dry hopping was something they decided to do on their own but he answered that the dry hopping aspect was part of the recipe. I was aware that some German brewers would dry hop their Pilsners and this would seem to be the case here as well.

I thoroughly enjoyed the two draft pints I had at the Locust Lane tasting room so I fully expect to enjoy this canned version as well.

Served in my Polish Pilsner glass:

Appearance:

Pours golden yellow colored with a big white head.

Aroma:

Wow! Lots going on here!! A complex combination of bready Pilsner malt and a herbal/spicy hop aroma.

Taste:

The flavor has a BIG bready malt flavor along with spicy/herbal hop flavors. There is a firm bitterness.

Mouthfeel:

Medium bodied, smooth mouthfeel and a dry finish.

Overall:

I really enjoy this beer. The combination of bready malt, spicy/herbal hop flavor and smooth mouthfeel = Excellent!!

Kudos to the head brewer of Locust Lane for producing this excellent German Pilsner.

@RobH @rotsaruch @KOP_Beer_OUtlet @JimKal @woodychandler @o29 @honkey

[​IMG]

ChicagoJ, b9d9, NeroFiddled and 35 others like this.
  4. woodychandler

woodychandler Poo-Bah (12,071) Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I CAN't imagine why @JackHorzempa tagged me on this one. I'm done taking Pils & back to taking the piss, like right now! :grin:

Mmm. I'd be CANurious to try this latest offering from Locust Lane, if it gets distributed all the way to LanCANster (& yes, we do get distro of their beer, just not EVERYTHING). I may have to inquire loCANally.

MacMalt, larryi86, ovaltine and 8 others like this.
  5. JackHorzempa

Society

Woody, I would recommend doing so now. This is (so far) a one-of beer. It is no longer available on draft at the brewery. Don't know how many cans are left.

Cheers!

P.S. I had to purchase cans of Farmhouse Pils at the brewery since none of my local beer retailers had it available.

ChicagoJ, MacMalt, Ozzylizard and 5 others like this.
  6. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,467) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

A beautiful sunny day. We are going to go to the Farmers Market, and taking the puppy. He's a little over a year old, but has not had much time to practice his social skills. He has behaved well on our previous forays downtown.
    Today's new beer is one I've wanted to try for some time, and now I have the opportunity. This is Daisy Cutter from Half Acre Beer Company and it is 5.2% ABV.
    A dark gold color with a thick off-white head and plenty of lace
    Aroma of citrus fruit, floral hops, and a hint of pine
    Taste of grapefruit, caramel, and late pine
    Medium-bodied, lingering bitterness.

[​IMG]

ChicagoJ, MacMalt, SABERG and 23 others like this.
  7. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (5,274) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Thats a Chicago classic!

ChicagoJ, MacMalt, ovaltine and 4 others like this.
  8. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

Good Morning fellow new beer imbibers! I am starting my weekend off with a new beer that I had been hoping to try for a while now, but had not seen it in the Chicagoland area until this week. St. Bernardus - Tokyo.

From St. Bernardus:
    When Monk's Pub in the city got it on tap this week, I wanted to make sure I made time to stop by a try it. This is a rare NBS review from draft for me.

[​IMG]

Pours a cloudy, golden straw color. Thin velvety white head forms on the beer before dissipating, slowly but steadily. A thin film of velvety foam remains on the beer. Lots of velvety lacing coats the glass as the beer is consumed. Aroma has notes of wheat, chamomile, pepper, clove, tangerine, yeast, a bit of a banana-y ester note, and coriander. In some ways it resembles a traditional wit on the nose, but there are some more floral and citrus notes that give it this more unique flair.

The taste is just lovely. Up front you get notes of orange, tangerine, vanilla, and chamomile giving it this lovely tea-like profile. Following that are notes of wheat, banana, which then give way to a spicy finish with notes of clove, coriander, and peppercorns. Feel is medium bodied – I find these yeasty beers just sit heavier for me. Bright, vibrant carbonation. A touch on the drier side on the finish.

Overall this did not disappoint. A lovely beer from St. Bernardus. I can see how this beer would pair very nicely with food if that is something you like to do.

I did find it interesting that St. Bernardus calls this a witbier/saison - there are certainly some aspects of the beer that fall into each of those broad categories. I think a beer like this is a great example of how nebulous styles can be at times. I find them useful, and appreciate knowing about the various styles, but its also important to remember to not get too hung up on the style of a beer.

4 | 4.25 | 4.5 | 4 | 4.25 = 4.31 (+5.6% rDev)

ChicagoJ, MacMalt, SABERG and 23 others like this.
  9. woodychandler

woodychandler Poo-Bah (12,071) Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I'm probably going to get aced out at that rate.

I am increasingly reluctant to leave LanCANster (city & County),having fallen into a pleasant home/work/home & a few errands cycle.

I was up to Dauphin County (HBG & HER) recently for my annual (fittingly ironic) CANcer surgery follow-up, but that's about it. It's been over a year since I was even in PHL, let alone any of its suburbs. I would love to train into DOW to Victory et al, but home is just so welCANming (& well-stocked).

Lemme know if you might have an extra :wink:. Heck, I might even write a review if one were to appear!

10. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (2,947) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Good afternoon NBW
    I have a bunch of great beers to review, but I ignored them...
    [​IMG]
    Modelo Chelada Mango y Chile
    24oz can stamped BB FEB 2022 poured into a shaker pint at fridge temp 3.5% ABV. The beer pours cloudy peach orange in color with nearly white head that dissipates in a flash. No head, no lacing. The aroma is pungent, sweet mango with no real sign of heat. The taste is sweet mango up front, cloying and sugary with a backend mild pepper heat and negligible bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium plus bodied with above average carbonation and a somewhat dry finish. Overall, not really beer. Overly sweet with no malt or hops to my senses. I needed a pepper beer tick and this one is not punishingly hot.

I have quite a bit to do today and didn’t want to lose motivation. I'll be back later. Cheers all and enjoy the new beer in your glass today!

ChicagoJ, MacMalt, SABERG and 24 others like this.
  11. JackHorzempa

Society

I discussed this beer in a past NBW thread:

"Over the holidays I spotted this beer in the singles section of my ‘local’ Total Wine & More (Claymont, DE) and even though it was quite pricey I decided to splurge and treat myself. Very little information provided on the can but it does list “6% ABV”."

[​IMG]

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/new-beer-weekend-27.654137/#post-7158579

I agree with you that it is a "lovely beer".

I have not seen it available for sale since that above purchase.

Cheers!

ChicagoJ, cavedave, MacMalt and 16 others like this.
  12. Act25

Act25 Poo-Bah (3,182) Nov 8, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

3 New to me 4+ IPAs this week
    Little Sip | Lawson’s
    | IPA | 6.2% | Vt
    4.35/5 rDev +4.1%
    look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5
    I rate this as highly as the #6 DIPA on BA, SOS. Because it’s so much flavor in a 6.2% affordable beer.
    a) Gold deep, slight haze, lasting head and lace.
    s) Floral, pine, grass, sun-baked herbs.
    t) follows to add citrus, bread (marmalade on toast).
    f) As good, smooth, crisp and mouth pleasing as IPAs get.
    o) Master 6% ABV beer.

Broken Skull | El Segundo | IPA | 6.7% | CA
    /5 rDev +2.6%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5
    2d beer from brewer. As clean an IPA as you will find. Lovely every day, but sharp, bitter brew.
    a) Mostly clear golden body, with thinnish head and lace.
    s) Tame aroma, but clean with bright sunshine, grass, cali coast wild herb aromas.
    t) Big burst of pine, sunshine, sun-baked wild herbs.
    f) As clean and crisp as any IPA - 4.5 feel.
    o) A true favorite.

McGurk Effect | Carton | NEIPA | 7.5% | NJ
    /5 rDev 0%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
    1st Review. Drinking it fresh at its debut at Carton.
    a) Looks murky and throwing scads of lace over a grapefruit pulpy body.
    s) tame compared w the bitter storm that follows. Besides hops some nuts.
    t) Big bittering impactful hoppy bomb: citrus centered, puckery bite.
    f) Astringent, to a great degree.
    The McGurk effect is a perceptual phenomenon which happens when a person perceives that the movement of another individual’s lips do not match up with what that individual is actually saying.

ChicagoJ, MacMalt, SABERG and 19 others like this.
  13. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Meyvn (1,400) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois

Thanks for kicking off the weekend @SawDog505, Great to see two St. Bernardus already, one of my favorite European brewers. I'm going to have to try to get downtown for the Tokyo pour, haven't been to Monk's since pre-COVID. Had to drain pour their extra 4 I mistakenly cellared earlier this year, hope we get a shipment one day.

Starting the weekend with another European classic brewer, picked up while securing Oktoberfest provisions earlier this week. Bought it refrigerated from the Beer Temple, I don't think I recall seeing this in the refrigerator on previous trips, but I may be mistaken. One of the few places I trust with selling beer within code, taking a chance with this one.

First brewed to honour their 100th anniversary back in 1978.

Ayinger Jahrhundert Bier

[​IMG]

Bottle Notes: 16.9 oz bottled 11/19/20 (Bottle code L0324), refrigerated at The Beer Temple and return home ($3.99 plus tax). Crisp, golden, well-balanced. Ayinger, at the foot of the Bavarian Alps, is one of the world's most respected breweries. Family owned & operated since 1878.

Appearance: Multiple pours into a pilsner glass. Clear golden straw base, bright puffy foam lingers for a while and leaves generous clumpy lacing. Persistent heavy carbonation throughout. 4.5

Aroma: Rich bold fresh baked bread, grains, flowery as well, the yeast and black pepper come through great as well. Enticing. 4.25

Taste: Consistent with the aroma, but lighter in strength. Bread, pepper, lightly spicy, grassy. Mellow but focused bursts of flavor throughout. 4.0

Mouthfeel: Medium body, persistent carbonation throughout, dry, very balanced leans lightly bitter, easy clean finish. 4.0

Overall: This is an another excellent offering by Ayinger. The beer held up very well, would love to experience fresh to see any differences. Hits all the expected notes well, a joy to drink. Overall, very glad I picked this one up, will pick up more in the future. 4.25

If I ever get to Germany I will spend at least a day at Ayinger, by far my favorite German brewer enjoyed to date.

Have at least one more planned this weekend. Cheers fellow BAs!

cavedave, MacMalt, SABERG and 25 others like this.
  14. JackHorzempa

Society

Ayinger is also on my bucket list of a brewery I want to visit.

I really enjoy Ayinger beers but I rarely purchase bottled products for the combo of all too often they are not fresh plus they (the Importer?) price these beers high. When I see them on tap I will splurge (and so far those beers have tasted fresh).

Cheers!

Edit: one of the Ayinger brands I really enjoy is there their Maibock but I have only seen this beer on draft:

[​IMG]

cavedave, Act25, MacMalt and 13 others like this.
  15. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

It is popping up at a few places so it may end up showing up closer to you. I think Kaiser Tiger also has(d) it on tap.

I love that beer - so, so good.

So jealous! Ive never seen that one either in bottles or on tap.

16. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

New beer #2 for the weekend is Bierstadt Lagerhaus - Helles. I have heard great things about Bierstadt's lagers, so I am quite excited to try this one.

[​IMG]

Pours a moderately cloudy golden color. Thin one to two finger head forms on the beer but quickly dissipates leaving no residual head. The beer clears up as it sits, but the weirdest thing is the presence of yeasty floaters that look like pulp floating in the beer. Really note sure what that is. Aroma is absolutely lovely - notes of rich, sweet, doughy, bready malts waft across the nose. Honey, white bread, dough, all are there giving way to a light herbal, spicy hop note on the back end. Its incredible.

Taste has notes of white bread, doughy malts, with a lightly toasted character to it. A touch of honey sweetness comes through. There are also light lemon and lemongrass notes with a slight herbal, spicy bitterness on the back end. Feel is light, crisp, and easy drinking. Bright carbonation. A bit thinner than I might want, missing that chewiness I like from this style, but its a relatively minor quibble.

This is fantastic and instantly one of the best American brewed helles I have ever had. Its not often you come into a beer with high expectations and they are somehow exceeded. A must try if you get the chance.

3.5 | 4.5 | 4.5 | 3.75 | 4.5 = 4.37 (+5.6 rDev)

ChicagoJ, cavedave, MacMalt and 24 others like this.
  17. JackHorzempa

Society

Maybe when @ChicagoJ organizes a BA trip to Privatbrauerei Ayinger in the spring of 202x we can all drink the Maibock together at the brewery and who knows maybe even served vom Fass.

Prost!

P.S. A cool video here:

https://merchantduvin.com/brew-ayinger-maibock.php

18. jkblr

Society Trader

Good afternoon NBW
    A definite upgrade here from a recent trade with @BigIronH
    [​IMG]
    Barrel + Beam Heritage
    16oz undated can poured into becher glass at fridge temp 6.9% ABV. The beer pours opaque light peach/amber in color with off white head. The head recedes to a thin ring and uneven cap and leaves some lacing. The aroma is moderate in strength featuring Belgian yeast and ripe tropical fruit. The taste is semitart wheat malt with notes of black pepper, clove, over ripe mango,pineapple & grapefruit and mild bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with average carbonation and a dry finish. Overall, good.

There's a lot of complexity here as the Brett starts to work in this can conditioned saison. Thanks Harley!

ChicagoJ, cavedave, MacMalt and 22 others like this.
  19. woodchipper

woodchipper Meyvn (1,413) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society

Hello NBW people. I'm a little burned out from roofing my garage addition today. So first up for me is a Radler from a Jack's Abby mix-pack. Refreshing is what I need right now.
    [​IMG]
    3.45/5 rDev -2.5%
    look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz can dated 06/30/21 to a pub glass at fridge temp.
    The body is a glowing peach color and is fairly clear but glass condensation prevents full judgement. A 3/4" white head sits on top shortly after the pour but is soon gone.
    The aroma is weak but there is a hint of the blood orange.
    Taste is pretty refreshing and the orange does not over power. You can sense a watered-down lager in there.
    Mouth feel is thin, as it should be. This is a mouth, throat wetting beer/radler.
    Overall, a good example of the style and very refreshing.

ChicagoJ, cavedave, MacMalt and 21 others like this.
  20. snaotheus

snaotheus Poo-Bah (5,157) Oct 6, 2008 Washington
    Society Trader

I never do this when I'm out because usually I'm with people, and I hate typing on my phone. But today I'm alone and @jonphisher wanted to see me suffer, so here is Bale Breaker's fresh hop hazy IPA, Seasonal Creeper.[​IMG]
    Light whitish yellow, hazy, with a big, beautiful, creamy head, lots of fine, active carbonation. Smell is hop fields. Green and flowery, a hint of tropical, lots of pine and citrus pith.

Taste is along the same lines. Pineapple keeps coming up and getting dismissed. More of a resin bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is creamy and drying at the same time. Overall, this is really good.

I love fresh hop season. This beer is a contender.

ChicagoJ, cavedave, MacMalt and 23 others like this.
  21. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (3,995) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

Brauhaus Faust-Miltenberg - Bayrisch Hell

Helles from Germany (4.8%).

[​IMG]

Pours an almost clear, deep golden coloration with a medium, frothy head. Smells of doughy, bready malt and grassy, floral hops.

Taste follows the nose, with an excellent balance of doughy, slightly bready malt and grassy, slightly floral hops, with just a hint of citrus zest also coming through. Finishes with a light bitterness and some doughy malt, grassy hops and citrus zest lingering in the aftertaste. Smooth mouthfeel with a light/medium body and medium carbonation.

This is a rather mild, but very well-balanced Helles with a great harmony of malt and hops, drinking very easily and refreshing, just like the style should. While it is a mild and refreshing beer, it does not lack flavor or feel too light-bodied or watery, thanks to some firm, doughy malts and grassy, floral hops, with that subtle citrus note adding a very pleasant zing in the aftertaste.

Overall this makes for a mild, easy-drinking and very well-balanced Helles that's perfect to quench your thirst in the summer heat.

Currently listening to: Iron Maiden - Another Life

ChicagoJ, cavedave, MacMalt and 24 others like this.
  22. jonphisher

jonphisher Defender (634) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

Yes! I can smell and taste it now :grin: I just needed my fix, it’s like I said last week.

“I’ll live vicariously through your fresh hop posts till I get to indulge myself and hopefully load my suitcase home :grin:

ChicagoJ, cavedave, MacMalt and 6 others like this.
  23. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (11,309) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Prairie Sneaking Suspicion Sour ale with Passion Fruit, Pineapple & Mango, 5.0% ABV; overall rating 4.19

Pours a bright & effervescent gold with a little haze and a sliver of rapidly falling beige head. Zero head retention & lacing

S: Tart pineapple & lemons, a little watermelon once warm

T: Follows the nose, plus salt & passion fruit, plus dryness up front. More pineapple tart/sweetness with salt & dryness, more passion fruit as this warms. Finishes tart, dry, salt with passion fruit, salt & pineapple

MF: Medium body, light carbonation

Pretty drinkable, one of the better sours I've had from them in a while. This would be a six pack worthy pick up in the Summer

ChicagoJ, cavedave, MacMalt and 20 others like this.
  24. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

Lillebräu - Helles

Helles with Saphir and Hallertau Mittelfrüh hops, from Germany (5.1%).

[​IMG]

Pours a slightly cloudy, pale golden coloration with a large, frothy head. Smells of doughy malt and grassy, floral hops, with a distinct citrus note coming through as well.

Taste is a great balance of doughy malt and grassy, floral, fruity, slightly spicy hops, with citrus notes of tangerine and lemon peel, as well as just a hint of black pepper also coming through. Finishes with a light/medium bitterness and some doughy malt, grassy hops and distinct citrus accents lingering in the aftertaste. Smooth mouthfeel with a light/medium body and carbonation.

Just like their Weizen, this makes for a very modern, hoppy interpretation of the style, which works a lot better here than it does for the Weizen though. While I think that it could have done with just a bit of a firmer malt body, there is still a very pleasant balance of malt and hops to this, with those distinct citrus accents adding a very pleasant tang here and making it feel quite easy-drinking and refreshing.

Overall, this makes for an enjoyable, quite modern take on the Helles style that is well-balanced. zesty and goes down very easily. However, I also can't help but think that 3€ seems like a very steep price for a small bottle of a beer like this.

Currently listening to: The Smiths - William, It Was Really Nothing.

cavedave, ChicagoJ, MacMalt and 22 others like this.
  25. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (13,406) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Drekker Coconut Key Lime Pie Slang Du Jour Sour à la Mode, 6.9% ABV. Pours thick opaque pale yellow, with a one finger white head that left puree residue. Nose is lime, coconut, cheese, and banana. Taste is tart lime hitting you hard right up front, then cheese, slight banana, and granola. Excellent mouthfeel, overall outstanding.

4.4/5 rDev +7.1%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Supposed to be like a key lime cheesecake. Surprisingly good.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cavedave, ChicagoJ, MacMalt and 20 others like this.
  26. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

Apex - Pulling Teeth

New England IPA with Bru-1, Sultana, Columbus and Simcoe hops, from Sweden (8%).

[​IMG]

Pours a hazy, dark orange coloration with a medium, fluffy head. Smells of light biscuity malt and tropical/citrus hops, with distinct pineapple and lighter grapefruit notes, as well as just a hint of pine.

Taste is a great balance of light biscuity malt and fruity, juicy, slightly herbal and resinous notes, with tropical and citrus notes of distinct pineapple and lighter mango, grapefruit and tangerine, as well as some pine also coming through. Finishes with a light/medium bitterness and some pineapple, grapefruit and pine lingering in the aftertaste. Soft mouthfeel with a medium body and carbonation.

While I was never really a huge fan of Bru-1 hops, the combination with Sultana really creates an intense pineapple character here that works very well with the herbal earthiness of Columbus and resinous pine of Simcoe. There really is quite an interesting multi-faceted flavor profile to this with a great balance of sweet and bitter/resinous notes. I like how this breaks the mold a little and really wish more brewers would use Columbus hops in NEIPAs.

Overall, this makes for a very enjoyable, a little different take on the New England IPA with a huge pineapple character and some more herbal and resinous notes.

Currently listening to: The Decemberists - 16 Military Wives.

27. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (11,309) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Destihl Brewing Haze of the Dead Hazy DIPA, 8.5% ABV; 4.28 overall

Pours an effervescent & slightly hazed gold with a thumb+ of ivory colored head. Good head retention & lacing

S: Pineapple, lemon & mango once warm

T: Green melon dominates, plus dryness & strawberry up front. Pineapple, peach & green melon as this warms, plus a little lime & dryness as this warms. Finishes with grapefruit. green melon, mango & dryness

MF: Medium body, creamy carbonation , nice balance

Super drinkability, very solid for the style

cavedave, ChicagoJ, MacMalt and 18 others like this.
  28. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (2,790) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Hello New Beer Weekend!!!

Long work week is done, and excited to have a day off work tomorrow. Unless things go awry, I'll be taking a road trip to southern Minnesota tomorrow to relax and unwind tomorrow on my day off.

There's one thing that might cause things to be messed up, and that's the new beer I'm having, well, that, and/or my insomnia I've been suffering from lately.

Now on to my new beer, and it's from a fairly new brewery, and we just got it in the area yesterday.

[​IMG]
    Barbarian Imperial Stout Bourbon Barrel Aged with Grogg Coffee - 12.0% ABV - Warrior Brewing - Duluth, MN.

I walked into work yesterday seeing this bottle (along with another that will be reviewed down the road sometime). I said, oh crap! Of course I had to get it.

There's a ton of coffee on this beer, and I'm digging it. Lots of great flavors from the stout and barrel. I'm impressed with this brewery, and can't wait to try more of their beers.

Review:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/60972/567909/

4.26/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Beautiful pitch black pouring. There's a 3 finger tan head. The bubbles are very cloud like looking, soft,, and fluffy, with small bubbles. The head retention is very long lasting for a 12% beer, and there's a good bit of lacing on the glass.
    The aroma has a bit of coffee on it. I also get some chocolate, caramel, toffee as well, but mostly coffee.
    Taste - There's a lot of coffee, and it hits hard up front, and lingers throughout. The other flavors - chocolate, toffee, caramel, and a hint of lactose, as well - which I didn't expect. These flavors work very well together.
    Body is decent, though a bit thinner than I was expecting. A bit of boozy feeling, but just a bit of burn.
    Very delicious BA stout overall.

This will end my day, I'll see you down the road with new beers, maybe tomorrow, not sure.

cavedave, ChicagoJ, MacMalt and 25 others like this.
  29. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (6,039) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

[​IMG] I am sipping this NEIPA with oats and Nelson hops for an employee who had a stroke a few years ago. Poured into a 16 oz Snulip glass canned Wednesday or Thursday. Pours a hazy yellow orange with a two finger sticky white head that leaves thick streaks of lace, with excellent retention. 4.5

Aroma is buttery Chardonnay, mango, mandarin, and apricot. 4

Taste follows buttery Chardonnay, mandarin, mango, and apricot really balanced. 4.25

Mouthfeel is bigger than average, not sticky or dry, soft gentle carbonation, and certainly drinks bigger than 6.5% 4.5

Overall another excellent beer from Kettlehead Brewing. 4.25

30. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (7,525) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Obolon Brewery -- Obolon Premium (pale lager) -- 54.5 °F

[​IMG]

3.58/5 rDev +27%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Medium gold body; slight cloudiness; very active carbonation; thin yet dense and foamy white head. Fine cereal grain aroma; strong wheat presence; toasted grain. An interesting taste; grainy with a mild sourness; toasted wheat; mild hop bitterness. Medium body; slick and slightly syrupy; fair residual sugar presence; semi-dry overall.

This is a nice beer. It does not deliver anything unique per se. It comes across as a rustic lager.

Poured at 46.2 F; no bottling date noted on the label.
    ----------
    ...yes, one of those off-the-wall European/Asia lagers that one rarely sees in the USA, yet some of us gravitate towards them just to see what the experience may be...

...and this experience is not bad...would a fresh version up the points...???...perhaps...but unless I find myself in the Ukraine...

#30 beergoot, Sep 11, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    cavedave, ChicagoJ, MacMalt and 24 others like this.
  31. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,373) Feb 22, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Greetings, degenerates. It's been a while since I've had a new beer on a weekend, as I've been drinking old standbys for several weeks now. Yesterday, I took a quick drive into NYC for a couple of meetings, and I was able to drop by one of my former locals that sells single cans of lots of great stuff, including Finback. They mark it up a little high (6.50/can), but that's far less expensive and time-consuming than actually trekking out to the tap room. Anyway, I picked up a couple of cans, including this Finback Road to Earth DIPA. Expectations are high, as Finback has been pretty much at the top of their game for a couple of years now.

Pours a beautiful liquid gold with dense, long-lasting head that leaves behind complex lacing as it recedes. Hazy without being turbid, and would even go so far as to say as good an appearance as the best Tree House or Tired Hands (we'll talk about Other Half in a minute). You just look at this beer and want to drink it. Aroma is layered and somewhat enigmatic at first, but brings together citrus, stone fruit, cannabis, and faint but discernable dried cooking spices. As it warms, the dankness comes a little more to the forefront, but not in an overpowering way. Taste follows aroma and is what Other Half used to be at its best: teasingly bitter, mixing juice and pith in a way I can only call "adult" (this ain't no kiddie beer), and highly dimensional in a way that blends its various components in a way that creates a brew one likes as much as admires. This is a beer which, if you've been drinking a lot of mediocre NEPAs lately, makes you say, "Oh yeah, this is what this style is supposed to be!" Overall, a truly excellent beer. My one regret is that I only bought one can . . . if anyone reading this has access to this beer, let me know (this is not, ahem, a trade request in an inappropriate forum). And if you see this in the wild, pick it up without hesitation . . . you will not be disappointed. Cheers!

[​IMG]

cavedave, ChicagoJ, MacMalt and 24 others like this.
  32. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

Lillebräu - Stout

Stout with East Kent Goldings hops, from Germany (7%).

[​IMG]

Pours a deep, dark brown coloration with a large, creamy head. Smells of roasted, caramelly malt, some chocolate, coffee and hints of licorice and spice.

Taste is a great balance of roasted, caramelly malt and earthy, spicy hops, with some dark chocolate and coffee notes, as well as lighter dark fruit accents, with notes of raisin and fig, and hints of licorice and spice reminiscent of cinnamon and clove. Finishes with a light/medium bitterness and some roasted malt, chocolate, coffee and spice lingering in the aftertaste. Smooth mouthfeel with a medium body and carbonation.

A lovely Stout with a rather dry, roasted and somewhat spicy flavor profile, as well as some light, sweeter accents that balance this out very nicely. I really like the distinct chocolate, coffee and spice notes here, which are complemented by some lighter dark fruits and herbal hops, making for a very well-balanced brew that has got a certain, subtle complexity to it, as well as a good body and mouthfeel.

Overall, this makes for a very enjoyable Stout that's quite down-to-earth and well-balanced, with a certain depth of character as well.

Currently listening to: Tom Waits - Lowside of the Road.

cavedave, ChicagoJ, MacMalt and 23 others like this.
  33. officerbill

officerbill Champion (829) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

That was pretty much my take on it. Not a great beer, but a refreshing, relatively low ABV drink on a hot day.

TBH a BA sponsored German charter/brewery tour would probably sell out.

34. Whyteboar

Whyteboar Champion (830) Jun 7, 2008 Michigan
    Society Trader

Thanks @SawDog505 for kicking this off today!
    Today I put together pallet racking by myself. It’s warm out and those parts are heavy. So a sour hits the spot.
    Jammy Pants from Great Notion, sent to me by @WunderLlama as part of an LIF associated with NBS BIF #13 (yes, it’s *still* going!)
    [​IMG]
    poured raspberry red with bright pink dense head and smelled of elderberries! Oh, wait, wrong reference. Smelled fruity, raspberry and rhubarb and blackberry and stuff I couldn’t define.
    The taste was tart up front and fruit at the swallow, really nice contrast and it worked well.
    The feel was excellent, just carbonated enough to cut the dust.
    Definitely would seek this one out if it was available here. Thanks Maynard!

35. jkblr

Society Trader

I stumbled onto this at a shop on the other side of town. Instant purchase. My 10th Belgian IPA tick out of 1500+ reviews
    [​IMG]
    De Ranke XX Bitter

33cL bottle EXP 07/01/2023 poured into a becher glass at fridge temp 6% ABV. The beer pours mostly bright light honey amber with bone colored head. The head builds quickly to a puffy peak and settles slowly to a rocky cap leaving a full lacing. The aroma is mild with floral hops and sweet caramel malt. The taste is semisweet caramel malt with grassy and floral hop notes right up front. Moderate bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium plus bodied with just above average carbonation and a mostly dry finish. Overall, delicious Belgian IPA.

That's all the new beers for me today. Cheers all!

36. bobv

bobv Poo-Bah (4,095) Feb 3, 2009 Vermont
    Society Trader

Greetings and salutations!
    :beers:
    Yet another phone's camera limping along...
    :rolling_eyes:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/46317/566815/?ba=bobv#review

[​IMG]

Unlabeled 16 ounce, canned 09/01/21.

Moderate pour yields a 1.5” white head over a bright, golden body with sticky lacing. Nose of citrus (tangerine, orange),
    tropical fruit, with a bit of white grape and currants as well. Taste mirrors nose very closely with a finish of the above mentioned fruit with a slight citrus pith bitterness. Quite delicious, and at 5%, extremely crushable! Nice feel and overall, I hope they repeat this (with a label!)
    Cheers to the crew next door for the hookup!

37. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,637) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

If you still have the bottle, can you please tell me if it was imported by Lime Ventures?

38. jonphisher

jonphisher Defender (634) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

Alright, wish me luck, drinking a huge ABV DIPA for the first time in a while, this one is a whopping 8.8%. I used to enjoy Kane beers a lot more and Ripple, a 4.4% (or so) all nelson pale ale, was one of their original beers I loved best. Sadly they hazed it up and changed the hop bill, enjoyed it when I had it but being a different recipe it wasn't the Ripple I knew or loved. As these things go of course they have made Double Ripple as well, more is always better right? I know the answer here but I still was curious about this beer so I bought a single.

Kane - Double Ripple

[​IMG]

This one pours pale light orange murk with a nice dense white head to start. Also had a nice dense white head, the head is mostly gone and leaves behind a thin layer of white with some splotchy bigger bubble islands. Some lacing remains from the original head.

The smell is stinky dank tropical fruit mix, it is not weed dank but rather dank in the sense that it is super pungent. It lacks any of the citrus/sour I associate with cannabis. The fruit notes range from overripe melon to pineapple and maybe a little grape.

Upon drinking it most of the tropical notes are gone and I'm just hit with overripe fruit and that pungent dank flavor. Maybe the slightest hint of white grape from the Nelson but that could be power of suggestion/know.

Mouthfeel is bigger side of medium, it does go down surprisingly easy though the ABV is very noticeable. Not huge ethanol burn, just a subtle warming sensation. It has a little hop bite, I hesitate to call it bitterness because to me it is more of that astringent hop burn bite.

Overall, eh, I guess I just don't get it. I try to revisit beers like this from time to time and every time I just have the same feeling of "why?" Too much alcohol, not much balance, hop burn, etc. Curiosity killed the cat here, there is no real relation to the beer (ripple) that I used to love so much, just another overhopped high ABV beer. It is funny because I know I'm in the minority on my overall impression, I've seen this beer get a lot of love in the regional forum, but I wanted to be truthful as to my personal reaction. A well made beer, just not for me.

39. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,373) Feb 22, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Stone 25th Anny TIPA. It's a little unfair to drink this after that Finback, but it is a completely different style, etc. I don't know . . . what can I say? It's pretty much what you'd expect, a throwback to Ruination and early Enjoy By, without the inventiveness of their recent Liquid Poem. Perfectly competent, which isn't the same thing as perfectly enjoyable. Happy to have purchased the single can, would be a fine finisher after a night of drinking superior brews in service of keeping one's buzz on. You won't regret buying it, but you won't dream about it, either. Does that count as a legitimate review?

[​IMG]

40. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Poo-Bah (3,087) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Insert hip hop reference anywhere - collaboration beer from Trillium and Monkish

triple ipa using a mosaic hop

[​IMG]

4.25/5 rDev -2.5%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pint can poured into a teku creates a frothy one finger foam crown , good retention, reduces to a thick layer with clingy lacings over a dark orange juice liquid

Aroma is orange citrus, tangerine, mango, juicy fruit bubble gum

Taste is mango, orange , citrusy

Sudsy mouthfeel , slight bitterness, the hop bite nicely lingers

Good beer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.