New Beer Weekend #64

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Shanex, Oct 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,839) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

Good morning and happy weekend BA and participants of New Beer Weekend.

It has been a while since I participated in this thread, usually busy on weekends but also sometimes lacking a new beer to chime in. Anyway here I am, for a little bit of background (lurkers and newbies do join us…!) this is the thread to review a beer new to you, how it Looks, Smells, Taste, the Mouthfeel and your Overall opinion and rating of your latest treat.

Are you wordy, clinical or concise and a tad more broad in your description of a beer? The community will figure it out soon enough. :wink:

Bertinchamps Tripel from Belgium.

I’m genuinely surprised to have never heard of it before, despite my relatively decent knowledge of Belgian beers and triples in particular which are a very close second (next to Stouts…) preferred style of mine.

[​IMG]

500ml bottle with a best before date of 08/15/2022 (American calendar…) poured into a Guinness pint.

Looks is a dark Amber color and leaving a two inches white head fading reasonably quickly.

Smells of citrus, and tropical aromas.

The taste is quite expectedly for a Belgian Tripel clovey/coriander and some hints of pear, brown sugar.

Moutfeel is rather medium-bodied, the 8% ABV is again well hidden as many Belgian tripel in this regard.

Overall, I greatly enjoyed this Tripel, I can’t remember ever having a bad one from this country up north anyway. It’s as often a nice combination of some fruity ingredients and sweetness with a more bitter finish and some astringency. I’d buy if given the chance again, although in all honesty this is a pretty rare beer, which I found in my go-to beer store here.

Cheers.

2. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (6,263) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Moderator Society Trader

Good morning @Shanex and all following Weekenders! This morning, and for the foreseeable future, I have a ton of new beers, thanks to the boxes absolutely flying from the NBS BIF (including official boxes, ninjas, porch bombs, and even in-person surprise attacks).

I'm going to start off this morning with a beer that has coffee, so it counts for breakfast. :wink:

[​IMG]
    Founders Velvet Rush

Thanks to @foundersasap for this one, which is not only a new beer for me, but ticks a want!

Founders went the Funky Buddha route with this one, using a brown ale base instead of a porter/stout. Not the first time, obviously, and given the success of Sumatra Mountain Brown (and Underground Mountain Brown), it makes sense that they returned to the well in this case.

It does, indeed, pour clear and nutty. Absolutely fantastic and welcoming nose: tons of bourbon and oak, alongside coffee, caramel, toffee, and red grape. I don't get the vanilla or chocolate on the nose.

On the palate, every sip seems a bit different, which is strange. My first sip was bitter and very malty, with a barleywine-like presentation; the very next sip, the chocolate and vanilla came together with the coffee and reminded me of a red velvet cake. The third sip, a creaminess likely borne from the lactose. Every sip is good, mind you, but it's hard to get a bead on exactly what this beer is, or is trying to be.

Three notes/criticisms:
    1) The nose is phenomenal. If the flavor could live up to that promise, this would be a world class beer. As it is, it's really darn good.
    2) With the additives in play, I have to wonder if a porter/stout base would have been better - like with Panther Cub. This will relate to note 3.
    3) The notes suggest this is another cocktail-inspired beer, quite possibly by a White Russian (given that it "really ties the room together"). I don't get any of that: not a cocktail, and certainly not a White Russian (my favorite cocktail). Highball Drifter, on the other hand, I am tempted to pour over ice; it's a wonderful cocktail-like slow sipper.

This should still make a good late night sipper, and a decent digestif, but I think it misses the "cocktail" mark (thankfully, it is still very much a beer!). And if you're not going to nail the cocktail nature, why not go with a richer, darker malt base (stout!), and really emphasize the chocolate and vanilla? This could have been a bomb cake-like non-pastry beer (as the kids say).

Final verdict: I really enjoyed it, but I feel it could have - should have? - been so much more.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/541592/?ba=Roguer#review
    4.1 / -1.9%

Cheers!

Premo88, larryi86, MacMalt and 37 others like this.
  3. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

Back with round #2: dHop 35, an imperial hazy IPA from Equilibrium, and sent my way by a retaliation porch bomb from @WunderLlama .

[​IMG]

My last Equilibrium dHop IIPA (dHop 2) was about as ugly as IPAs get. It was also surprisingly light, drinking almost like a lager despite clocking in at 8.5%.

dHop 35 also drinks very light, but that's really where the similarities end. Not only are the floaties and particulate much easier on the eyes this time, but this is an absolute juice bomb. I prefer more heft to my IIPAs, allowing the hop expression to better translate to the palate, but there's no denying the waves of flavor here. Pineapple screams at you from the pour and from feet away in the glass; flavor follows, with pineapple, melon, and peach leading the way, oregano and tangerine on the edges.

The relatively light malt body makes this beer, like its cousin dHop 2, dangerously drinkable. You could really toss this one down the gullet without thinking twice - or remembering the 8.5% ABV!

This is damn good, and I really enjoyed it.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/47536/564509/?ba=Roguer#review
    4.42 / +2.8% (5 total ratings / 1st full review)

Premo88, larryi86, MacMalt and 35 others like this.
  4. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,725) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Last week I mentioned in one of these threads that I actually found a brown ale on the shelf of my local beer store. Although it's listed here as an American brown ale, it has one of those European-sounding names, @Shanex - Autumn Ale, by Breckenridge. Also, it seems that the pictured tree got the wrong instructions for the fall season.
    [​IMG]
    (note: not a new fallen tree, just a different angle of one I have shot before)

Ok, the beer pours like an extension of the container it is evacuating, both in color and clarity. The light beige head builds on a strong pour, without threatening to escape its new vessel.

There's a little acidic note to the nose, almost a little like the sour note of a sourdough bread. With this comes some dark bread and a nutty coffee note. It seems to me to be a mix of yeast and malt (Munich is listed) more than hops (Bavarian), which might be giving off a light woody scent.

The opening of the beer somewhat resembles the presumed yeasty note, with a nutty and earthy undertone. This brown ale isn't a hearty or robust brew, with a light body that some might view as near watery. I find a deceptive depth to the feel, though, with soft carbonation that envelops the palate a bit from the edges.

Middle has a bit more of a generic fruit impression (subtle and integrated note of perhapssome apricot with a sprtiz of lemon). This takes over a little more than expected, and hides the bread and light, nutty coffee notes I anticipated would come through from the nose (and do peek through in occasional sips).

I will be happy to have the rest of the six pack as a change of pace over the next couple weeks. However, what I described as being a fruity / yeasty note is detracting from my excitement of having a brown ale in front of me. I want the toasted malt to exert its influence a little more.

Cheers to the lot 'fy'all!

Premo88, larryi86, MacMalt and 35 others like this.
  5. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

Still sounds like a much more traditional brown ale than my first beer of the day. :wink:

As for Fall, I'm sure DC has a great season, but you should see my yard right now. It's just beginning, really, and already it's amazing. A New England Fall really can't be beaten. :slight_smile:

Premo88, MacMalt, Ozzylizard and 14 others like this.
  6. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,725) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

I almost meant to use the term "real" brown ale in my post, with specific references to these same beers. However, I am now able to accomplish that with this post and the grinning comment that NBW has two "brown ales" in the first five posts. Who'd-a-thunk-it?

Edit: and then I looked at the beer page, and this thing is 7%!?!! I verified via the fine print on the beer label. Well, it doesn't feel 7%, for sure, but I'm now not think this is as "real" as I thought it was (as if I am the arbiter of the style) :grinning:

7. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

I would say that if it drank smooth and easy, then despite being 7%, it sounds like a pretty solid brown ale. :grinning:

Premo88, MacMalt, Ozzylizard and 10 others like this.
  8. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,464) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

My wife is under the weather this morning, so I handled the dog-walking by myself. I have found it is easier, in terms of dog behavior, to walk them singly and not as a threesome. The other benefit is I walk three times as far as I normally would. A win-win situation!
    Today's new beer is Threat Level: Turquoise, an IPA from Ex Novo. It is brewed with Chinook, Columbus, Cascade, Centennial, and Citra, and is 6.8% ABV.
    A clear gold color. Small white head with a bit of lace
    Citrus fruit aroma, some pine. Sweet malt
    Taste of grapefruit, orange. Late pine
    Just the right amount of hoppiness

[​IMG]

Reef, Premo88, larryi86 and 33 others like this.
  9. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Meyvn (1,399) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois

Nice to see you here @Shanex , thanks for kicking things off! Also, just wanted to give a shout out to the upcoming Brown Ale tasting coming to BA over the next few weeks, more details to come.

It is 10/9, and typically I'd be at Spiteful enjoying my favorite local, and one of my favorite West Coast IPAs, 10/9 Bike Messenger Appreciation IPA. Last year, I scheduled my flight to Vegas on Saturday 10/10, to allow me to enjoy and stock up the day before. Alas, COVID struck the production last year.

When I hit the taproom a few weeks ago, they stated their production schedule did not permit them to release it today, but it will be released later this Fall rebranded without the 10/9 notation. So in lieu of this beer and a trip to Spiteful today, I am pulling two Spiteful Beers from my cellar that are also both currently available at Spiteful brewery.

The first beer is one of my highest rated stouts, Cinnamon Bun, though the one today is the Barrel Aged version. I tried the BA version with Coffee, and liked it but not as much (4.57 vs. 3.99). Hope this one comes closer to the OG.

Spiteful Brewing Barrel Aged Cinnamon Bun

[​IMG]

Can Notes
    : 2020 Cinnamon Bun Hostile Harry Russian Imperial Stout 12 oz., 14% ABV. Aged for 9 months in a bourbon barrel. Canned 11/10/2020 @12:23:52. Purchased at the brewery and refrigerated both there and at home since purchase.

Online Brewer Note: Russian Imperial Stout with Cinnamon and Vanilla.

Appearance: Single pour into a stemless Revolution Deep Woods glass. Short lasting and in since dark brown bubbly head lingers for about 15 seconds before vanishing. Heavy carbonation visible during pour, fine small bubbles linger above the base along the rim. Base impenetrable very dark brown to black. 4.0

Aroma:
    Very strong and pleasant cinnamon noticeable immediately after opening the can. Smells wonderful as I let this warm up, and as it does, the bourbon is very smooth, the blend smells great. Did not note vanilla until a few minutes in, this all blends well. 4.5

Taste:
    Taste consistent with expectations, the bourbon strong and upfront, very smooth and warm going down, though not a "burning" sensation. The base is next, wonderful roast malt, dark chocolate, a bit of fruit, raspberry. Cinnamon follows, well incorporated. Vanilla faint, stronger on the nose. The sum works better than the quality parts comprising this version. Really enjoying this, it is most excellent. 4.5

Mouthfeel:
    Faint fizzy carbonation holds on throughout, more so than a typical BA stout, despite being 11 months after canning. Medium very creamy, silky smooth on the tongue. Bourbon silky smooth and well incorporate, helps balance the sweet components. Drinks under the ABV at first, but then kicks in full gear, perhaps even stronger, about 15 minutes in. Definitely packs a punch. Very clean finish, light cinnamon enjoyable aftertaste. 4.75

Overall:
    I am thrilled I grabbed these and opened this today. I have backed off a bit purchasing stouts with adjuncts, but this one is very well made, everything blends well and tastes wonderful. I love it when a barrel aged stout comes together! Definitely A Team worthy. Highly recommend for those looking for a well blended BA Cinnamon backed stout. 4.5

Tomorrow I return with a Barrel Aged version of their award winning Barleywine. Wishing you excellent beer this weekend!

Reef, Premo88, larryi86 and 32 others like this.
  10. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Defender (659) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

Happy New Beer Weekend.

Today is a new beer to me.

Shared Brewing – Achromatic Vibes (2020)

12% ABV

The beer is listed as an Imperial stout with vanilla beans and coconut on the bottle, and a “Stout – Russian Imperial” on BA.

The beer was removed from a 45ish degree temp fridge after having been refrigerated for approximately 10 months. Beer poured into a Hill Farmstead tall wine-style glass. Consumed (domed) across approximately 2 hours, across 3 separate pours with the beer kept refrigerated between pours.

First Impression: As soon as the cap was popped, a little bit of vanilla escaped. Poured heavy and thick, like motor oil. Perhaps thicker than any other stout I have ever poured, including the two derivations from SP that I have tried. This left me intrigued. 4.25

Appearance: As is always the case with SP/Shared, this beer is essentially still (just like all the stouts). Very little head which dissipates quickly, never to be seen again. It is very thick, and that is evident both during the pour and when swirling. After taking a sip, the glass is coated. Small particulates and residue are also left on the glass in a way that a strictly oily stout (e.g. BCBS rare) simply does not. 4.25

Smell: For a stout this is quite aromatic, but for any beer this is pretty subdued. Immediately you get vanilla. After that what you get definitely changes. Mostly I get a vague sugar-sweetness most akin to turbinado sugar with layers of vanilla like that of powdered sugar. What ruins this a little bit is that you get some of that vanilla-alcohol almost burn in your nose much like you do with vanilla extract. At first I would rate this higher, but over the course of enjoying the beer I have to rate it more fairly. 4.15

Taste: This is a beer that definitely changes as the temperature of the beer changes, and I would argue that the beer is better off at a colder (i.e. fridge) temperature of 45-55. In that range you get more of the vanilla with less of the bitter malt-chocolate, and less of the sticky-sweet feeling (see mouthfeel below). You certainly get vanilla first and foremost. The coconut you really have to search for, although perhaps you wouldn’t if just the vanilla were not present, since coconut already has vanilla-like flavors, particularly when it is limited. When cold the beer presents more as a vanilla and chocolate beer – with some taste towards the back (and aftertaste) that I can’t quite put my finger on. At first I liked this a lot, but I like it less 15 ounces in. 4.35

Mouthfeel: This has a good mouthfeel when cold, less when warm. But there are two components – there is literally the mouthfeel during a single sip/drink, and then there’s the mouthfeel over the course of the entire bottle. I have a bitter sensitivity, so while this may be sweet for others, it isn’t for me. -But, I recognize that it clearly has a lot of sugars, as it will make your mouth sweet/sticky. So, after about 4-5 ounces, you’ll quickly get to this point of ‘saturation’. 4.15

Overall: I want to like this a lot more than I do, and I wish I liked it as much near the end of the bottle as I did at the start. Look, when I finish a bottle of BCBS, especially something like Rare, my palate may be a little wrecked, but I have enjoyed myself. Other than the ABV, nothing is a chore to consume it. This is totally different. This is heavy, this is sticky, this is tiring, and this is a slog. I’m convinced that this beer is not intended to be consumed by oneself, but this is the way it is packaged, so this is the way that I am going to review it. My review started off higher at the start of the bottle, and keeps falling the more I consume. I can understand how someone would rate this a 4.8 with only 4oz. and I can see how someone might rate this a 4.6 with only 5-7oz, but I don’t see how someone rates this higher than a 4.3 if they are consuming the whole bottle. It’s a chore, and a little part of me wishes I had just traded it away (Although, as always, I am grateful for the opportunity). 4.25

BA Review Score: 4.256

My review (apparently 1 of only 4) can be found here: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/47799/502600/?ba=Beer_Economicus#review

Cross-posted with WBAYDN and Cellar Review Thread (This is just over 1yr old).

[​IMG]

Reef, Premo88, larryi86 and 31 others like this.
  11. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

One more new beer before a break: Tree House Persevere, a blended BA stout rested on coconut, cacao, and vanilla.

[​IMG]

On the nose, this is a bit oxidized and even harsh; I suspect the fresh beer component of the blend is an RIS, as it's plenty roasty and charred. This follows on the palate right up front, but the chocolate soon becomes the main focus, accented by the coconut in sweetness, and by the vanilla in richness.

The result is a very pleasant and tasty blend, at times sweet enough to verge on dessert stout territory, at other times charred and roasty. As far as blended beers go, it's very good, but it's nowhere near as overall balanced, clean, and composed as Firestone Walker's anniversary beers, or Anchorage's Endless Ending (which I reviewed just two weeks ago).

Not being on par with the absolute best, though? Hardly a criticism; this beer is damn enjoyable.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/28743/549810/?ba=Roguer#review
    4.3 / +1.2%

Reef, Premo88, larryi86 and 31 others like this.
  12. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (13,399) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Drekker Chonk Peach Melba Sundae Sour, 7.7% ABV. Pours thick and opaque light orange with a 1.5-finger orange large-bubble head that left puree residue. Nose is peach, raspberry, and vanilla. Taste follows, plus lactose, quite sweet and equally tart. Excellent thick and smooth mouthfeel, overall excellent to outstanding adjacent.

4.24/5 rDev +6%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

[​IMG]

Reef, Premo88, larryi86 and 27 others like this.
  13. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (7,519) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Cellador Ales -- Aliena (rustic farmhouse saison) -- 53 °F

[​IMG]

4.2/5 rDev +2.4%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Light, soft yellow body; lively carbonation; one-finger thick head, white and semi-creamy. Beautiful aroma, primarily light lemon and orange; a bare touch of horse blanket. Heavenly citrus flavor; lemon and white wine; moderate tartness. Medium-light mouthfeel; tangy and juicy.

This is an incredible saison. Its look and smell are amazing and the taste is deftly balanced and complex, highlighting delicate citrus flavors. A memorable beer!

Poured at 51 °F; BOTTLED FEB 2021

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reef, Premo88, larryi86 and 29 others like this.
  14. beergoot

Society Trader

I hope the Mrs. feels better soon...and I understand the walking aspects you wrote about, Rocket the Wonder Dog and I can walk faster (at least) by ourselves (someone else loves to talk and socialize along the way where us boys just want to keep moving along...:grin:

15. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (2,943) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Good afternoon NBW
    A rare miss by Taxman today
    [​IMG]
    Incider Trading

12oz canned 8/31/21 poured into a tulip glass at fridge temp 6% ABV 20 IBU. The beer pours mostly bright honey colored amber with minimal khaki colored head. The head recedes to a thin ring and single layer of bubbles. The aroma is mild with Belgian yeast, malt and apple. The taste is barely tart apple and Belgian yeast clove up front with a little pale malt and an oddly favored mild bitterness later. I reminds me of apple seeds, which is not a great taste. Mouthfeel is thin to medium bodied with average carbonation and a dry finish. Overall, ok. This is not a big beer and the apple seed bitterness is out of place and distracting.

The good news is that I have next week off and plenty of time for more beers. I will also experiment with some spirit additions in the remaining three cans of Incider Trading. I suspect a half ounce or so of sweet bourbon will straighten things right out. Cheers all and enjoy your weekend!

Reef, larryi86, MacMalt and 27 others like this.
  16. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Apple seed bitterness is a new one for me - can’t say that I have any idea what apple seeds are like, or even knew that they were bitter. (Not critiquing, just found it interesting, as I know nothing about apple seeds. :slight_smile: )

17. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (13,399) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Drekker Pineapple/Guava/Passionfruit BRAAAAAAAAins Double Fruit Smoothie Sour, 7.3% ABV. Pours thick and opaque/murky orange with a 4-finger light orange head that left puree residue. Nose is Pineapple, Guava, Passionfruit and vanilla. Taste follows, quite sweet, slightly tart, salt on the close. Excellent thick and creamy mouthfeel, overall outstanding. Some of the BRAAAAAAAAins variants don't work, but this one does.

4.38/5 rDev +2.6%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Sometimes it seems that Drekker pairs fruit randomly, but this one was either thought out or blind luck, either way it works well.

[​IMG]

Reef, larryi86, MacMalt and 26 others like this.
  18. beergoot

Society Trader

Dru Bru -- Whiskey Barrel Aged Sticke Alt (strong altbier)

[​IMG]

3.84/5 rDev -0.5%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Dark, clear mahogany colored body sporting a thick and frothy light tan head, rocky and sculpted; fat, sticky globs of foam cling to the glass. Dry, woody aroma infused with elements whiskey, cola, and grain husks. Fine dark malt taste mixed with touches of white oak and light bourbon; not much hop bitterness noted. Medium body; light residual sugar presence; light sweetness offset with a phenolic dryness.

This is a nice take on a dark ale. It's a bit different overall, but generally in a good way. The phenols could be dialed back a bit, but otherwise a well-rounded beer.

Poured at 54 °F; 2020 edition.

---------------

...a bit lighter than the Fremont, FiftyFifty or Deschute rich dark ales I was contemplating (just one or the other, not all three in one day). And just as well, as the beer drinking day is still young...

19. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,621) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Carlsberg Premium Danish Pilsner

Light yellow gold color with white cap and lacing neither of which last very long.

Light aroma of sweet malt and herbal, spicy hops.

Taste on entry is malty with a good smash of hard edge herbal hops which come across as a bittering counterpoint to the malt. Fairly simple flavors that balance each other out. Quick finish and clean aftertaste.

Medium texture with balancing carbonation.

Pretty good example of a Euro type Lager that's food and people friendly.

Reef, MacMalt, officerbill and 23 others like this.
  20. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (2,943) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

I'm two for two today...
    [​IMG]
    3Floyds Crom's Beard
    12oz bottled 8/17/21 poured into a tulip pint glass at fridge temp 7.5% ABV. The beer pours hazy, dirty peach in color with sticky, bone colored head. The head recedes to a thin cap and leaves plenty of lacing. The aroma is tropical & berry fruit salad. The taste is more fruit salad, just enough bitterness to stop it from being overly juicy. No malt to speak of. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with average carbonation and a somewhat dry finish. Overall, ok. 3Floyds should stick to what they know and hazy ain't it...

It's my fault for buying it. I just assumed caramel malt and earth shattering bitterness. Still not a single wet hop beer in southern Indiana after checking all three quality stores in the area. I'm switching to stouts and brown liquor despite the temps in the upper 80's.

I truly hope your beers are treating you better than mine. Cheers all!

21. woodchipper

woodchipper Meyvn (1,413) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society

Found this new Beer'd beer yesterday. It's a more hopped up version of their other "scary" themed beer Frank and Berry.
    [​IMG]
    4.18/5 rDev -0.7%
    look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 16oz can dated 8/25/21 to a Nonic at fridge temp.
    Body is an elegant deep clear gold. Maybe I'm overimpressed as it looks nothing like the beers I have been drinking lately. A great mulit-sized bubble head is not quite pure white. The head fades in about 5 minutes but the lacing is phenomenal.
    I don't get a lot of aroma. Its mildly musty, earthy... meh.
    One sip almost snaps my neck from the mild aroma. This thing is hoppy. Basically, if you want to know Mosaic, taste this. Very satisfying. At 9.1% I'm surprised that the alcohol is only noticeable long after the swallow.
    Mouthfeel is appropriate, soft and slightly oily.
    Overall a really nice beer.
    [​IMG]

22. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (3,981) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

I'm doing Sober October right now and thought it might be interesting to post some non-alcoholic beers until I realized that all of the mass-produced NA Pilsners that I've tried so far taste pretty much exactly the same. At least I found this NA IPA, which is pretty nice actually, and will be on the lookout for more NA craft beers until next week.

Selfmade Brewery - The Invisible

Non-Alcoholic IPA from Russia (<0.5%).

[​IMG]

Pours a hazy, pale orange coloration with a small, fizzy head. Smells of floral, slightly herbal hops, with some vague citrus and berry aromas of bergamotte orange and gooseberry, as well as just a hint of mint.

Taste follows the nose, with a good balance of hints of biscuity malt and some rather floral, slightly herbal and fruity hops, with faint citrus and berry notes of bergamotte orange and gooseberry, as well as just a hint of mint also coming through. Finishes with a very light bitterness and some bergamotte, gooseberry and mint lingering in the aftertaste. Smooth mouthfeel with a very light body and medium carbonation.

I think that for a non-alcoholic beer, this really isn't too bad, certainly much better than most of the very few other NA beers I've had so far. Of course you can't compare this to a proper IPA or even a Pale Ale, it being rather light-bodied and somewhat watery, with the hops feeling quite floral overall, which is typical for the style. But at least there are some faint herbal, bitter and fruity notes to this as well, with the citrus notes of bergamotte and some mint standing out the most here.

Overall, while I had slightly higher hopes for this, it still makes for a nice example of the style that's pretty enjoyable for what it is.

Currently listening to: Leonard Cohen - Anthem

Reef, larryi86, MacMalt and 30 others like this.
  23. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

Still switching things up on my palate, going back to some hops.

[​IMG]
    Witch's Hat Defloured Hazy IPA

So, no flour, but oats and wheat. They're rather emphatic about that, even though the most common type of flour with which I am familiar is, well, wheat flour. OK, then, Witch's Hat; I'm still digging your name and imagery. :grinning:

(The owners' names are also the same as my wife and her brother, who are also from Michigan, so that's kind of cool. :slight_smile: )

Summary: this is a beer firmly entrenched in between sub-styles, refusing to make a choice. There's a certain smoothness, almost graininess, to the feel, but it's still exceptionally lively, carrying a big bright bite. They haven't foregone bitterness, either; yet, the body is opaque and pulpy, reminiscent of Tree House and Trillium. You're going to have a tough time rating this beer to-style, so just rate it for what it is.

And what is that?

It's a beer where juiciness is a distant second behind the bright green herbal notes: oregano, basil, and moderate dankness. It's the kind of profile that will probably delight some BAs, but despite being well crafted, just isn't in my personal wheelhouse.

That said, I do like it, but I would be unlikely to order it on tap given offerings more to my liking.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/25963/261366/?ba=Roguer#review
    3.84 / -2.3%

Thanks, @foundersasap !

Snowcrash000, Reef, larryi86 and 28 others like this.
  24. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Poo-Bah (3,084) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I just got in from refereeing (MIT is known for their engineering program @foundersasap )

I won an Lif from @Roguer in August and received some goodies from Connecticut’s Fox Farm

Mantel A strong ale indeed

4.47/5 rDev +3%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

[​IMG]

Batch 1-2021 500 ml Chilled bottle received in a Lif associated with Bif 13 from @Roguer

A blend of a barley wine and stout aged in rye whiskey barrels

Poured into a Spiegelau snifter with a pencil thick brown foam cap that quickly evaporated to a ring. The liquid pours like 10/40 after a back to back cross country high speed diesel truck drive . Thick , syrupy and dark . Black holes exist and they are in this bottle

Aroma is oak, whiskey, leather, tobacco, dark fruits , raisins, figs

Taste is oak, whiskey , dark fruits , raisins

Mouthfeel is lush, velvety , thick, rich , decadent, low sudsing , syrupy, slight sweetness , no char . It has a 14.8 % abv that is boozy but without the heat. The taste coats the mouth without being cloying

Really good beer , thanks @Roguer

Snowcrash000, Reef, larryi86 and 30 others like this.
  25. Bil_Ganhs

Bil_Ganhs Initiate (16) Mar 24, 2020 Florida
    Trader

Back for another new beer weekend! This time with a TIPA called GO from Southern Swells Brewing Company out of Jacksonville, FL. Very smooth 10% made with Galaxy, Nelson, Motieka, Kohatu, and Waimea hops. Hazy Appearance with a head that dissipated after a couple of minutes. Dank and juicy hop aroma to it. Enjoyed this one way too much. 4.5/5!
    [​IMG]

Snowcrash000, Reef, larryi86 and 24 others like this.
  26. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,636) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Apple seeds produce cyanide when chewed and eaten.
    @jkblr

27. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Oh, I thought that was cherry pits.

28. beergoot

Society Trader

Heist Brewery -- Woo-hah!! Got You All In Czech (Czech-style pilsner)

[​IMG]

3.94/5 rDev -2.7%
    look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Excellent soft golden body, clear; very lively carbonation; thin yet lasting white head, soft and foamy. Very pleasant, quite agreeable nose; light, bready malt quality with a faint estery sweetness. Beautiful, unique taste; flowery; white pepper and lavender; moderate, herbal hop bitterness. Light to medium body; somewhat coarse on the palate; feathery sweetness with an overall dryness.

This is an interesting pils. There is a strong floral element to it, counterbalanced with a bold hop bitterness. The looks are okay and the mouthfeel fine. Not a bad beer.

Poured at 43 °F; canned 08/19/21

----------------

A refreshing and unique pilsner makes for a fine follow-up to the barrel-aged sticke alt I just finished.

Snowcrash000, Reef, larryi86 and 26 others like this.
  29. WunderLlama

Society Trader

Both apple seeds and cherry pits produce cyanide

30. Whyteboar

Whyteboar Champion (829) Jun 7, 2008 Michigan
    Society Trader

Hello fellow NBW denizens! And thanks to @Shanex for getting the ball rolling today.
    My first today is courtesy of a massive shipment of beer goodness from @ovaltine in BIF #14.
    I found it to be more Marzen like than Festbier like, but still a very tasty beer.
    [​IMG]
    Poured amber and honey with an impressive taupe head that really hangs on.
    The aroma was faint for me, but that’s my nose, not the beer.
    The taste was unexpected as a Festbier, and as it is labeled as such so expectations aside, the malts definitely lead here with the bread and honey (or is that caramel?)
    with the hops playing a support role. Definitely noticeable in the bite at the perimeter, but malts steal the show. Very nice.
    The feel is crushable, but again, more marzen than Festbier. Your mileage (and tastes!) may vary.
    Good beer, much enjoyed.
    Thanks @ovaltine !
    (Cross posted in NBS BIF 14)

Snowcrash000, Reef, larryi86 and 24 others like this.
  31. BillAfromSoCal

BillAfromSoCal Disciple (361) Aug 24, 2020 California

Smog City Brewing "Sideways Rain" IPA for this weekend's entry. About a year ago I first sampled one of Smog City's Smog Days IPA series and it was outstanding, IMO. Since then I always am on the lookout for their latest offering in the series. Only one rating in BA so far (3.8 something). 6.3 % ABV. Collaboration with Yakima Chief Hops. 16 oz can bought as a single off a room temp shelf about 5 days ago. Can dated 9/24/21. The label lists the following hops (also see the related picture for more information about this beer): CRYO POP (tm) Ekuanot, and Atanum .
    The first picture is a little misleading on the color. It shows more amber in the picture than the real color which is closer to straw yellow. No haze. Loose head that decays in a few minutes to a thin ring and a small island of barely-there bubbles. Nothing really in the way of lacing.
    The smell and taste are very similar and I have been fighting for several minutes to figure out a description other than "somewhat unique". My wife also could only describe it as "different" but no help in relating it to a identifiable fruit or form of vegetation of any kind. I do think the Ekuanot comes through, but I have never had Atanum or CryoPop HOPS that I am aware of so perhaps the flavors originate there.
    Mild to moderate body with mild, fine carbonation. The bitterness is not intense but noticeable, and it lingers.
    Overall, I like this one as an alternative to the citrus/tropical fruit profiles I usually seem to prefer in IPAs. Would I buy a 4 pk? Probably not. Am I glad I sampled this? Absolutely. Will you like it....oh heck, who knows, but it is a worthy contender if you are looking for a somewhat different IPA flavor profile.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

32. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (8,935) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Greetings fellow NBWers! Gonna have a long work day tomorrow, and so won't be posting, so I'm gonna get a couple in today. Starting with a beer that @ovaltine had earlier this week, Heathen Brewing's The Fresh Hop of Couve-Air. A FH murkster that I was less than impressed with.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30365/571754/

[​IMG]

#32 BBThunderbolt, Oct 9, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    Reef, larryi86, MacMalt and 24 others like this.
  33. jonphisher

jonphisher Defender (634) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

Solid day today so far, it was Marlton Day today, our town. Walked down the street with the family to a nice variety of food and food truck. Grabbed a nice chicken, Mac and cheese, string beans platter from a soul food place. Two meals worth of food…and we’re on to the beer.

Heater Allen - Bobtoberfest

[​IMG]

Very cloud amber colored beer, almost has an orange hue to it. Very airy bubbles make up the head. Retention comes in the form of splotchy off white islands of froth.

This beer has an earthy, nutty, bread crust vibe to it. At first it’s bread like but quickly delves into nutty and then earthy and maybe even a tad spicy hops.

This is a pretty hefty mouthfeel, medium body but very full. There is a noticeable bitter bite at the end which is a little more astringent than your average bitter. Almost like the bitter you get from certain nuts, walnut comes to mind. Dry finish.

Overall it’s a tasty, not bad marzen but nothing special about this one to me. Probably wouldn’t seek out again but happy I grabbed one to try.

34. BillAfromSoCal

Bingo...I believe that is one of the attributes of the SmogCity Sideways Rain that I described above, but am at a loss for accurate descriptors. Too late to edit my post but I might borrow that description for my formal review.

MacMalt, 2beerdogs, FBarber and 4 others like this.
  35. Roy_Hobbs

Roy_Hobbs Champion (820) Jan 21, 2017 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Thanks @Shanex for kicking off this weekend's thread. @Roguer is putting us all to shame, so I hope to crank out several reviews between today and tomorrow. Up first is Cat Lady, an IPA from Bellwoods Brewery in Toronto, sent my way by @Coronaeus among other amazing beers.

Overall, I'm definitely enjoying this.
    [​IMG]
    3.92/5 rDev -3%
    look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a very attractive, glowing yellow with an inch or so of medium density white head that recedes to a thin ring. Aroma doesn't burst from the glass, but up close it's primarily grapefruit and mixed citrus notes. Taste mostly follows the nose, with grapefruit again present, but it's complimented by some really nice melon notes on the back end. A little bit of resinous bitterness to keep things balanced, but not overwhelming. Overall, this is a well done beer.

Snowcrash000, Reef, larryi86 and 27 others like this.
  36. BillAfromSoCal

Nice! you should consider cross-posting this to the <0.5%ABV thread. We have a small but passionate group of NA followers over there....

37. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (3,837) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

I’m gonna unleash an avalanche of PNW beers courtesy of my friend @BBThunderbolt in NBW BIF #14 this weekend and next weekend. This first beer is a fresh hop WCIPA from a brewery that’s new to me - I love when that happens. Fresh hops indeed!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4.35/5 rDev +18.2%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a beautiful golden color with a sudsy white head that provides ample lacing. Gorgeous WCIPA. The nose has a bit of dank citrus and a nice dollop of berry aromas, which I love.

The taste has that dank citrus flavor up front, but that berry flavor, which hits my palate as strawberry, is DELICIOUS. I could pound multiples of this in an evening, because it hits all the WCIPA notes I love, including the dry mouthfeel that keeps pulling you in for another drink, and takes a different spin with the strawberry.

My first beer from these guys, I’m really looking forward to trying more of their stuff.

38. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (6,036) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

[​IMG] Poured into a 16 oz Snulip glass canned recent for sure, not sure when. Pours a very attractive hazy yellow orange with a 2 finger sticky white head that leaves thin streaks of lace, with excellent retention. 4.5

Aroma passionfruit, mango, pineapple, peach, vanilla, grapefruit, and apricot. 4.5

Taste follows passionfruit, pineapple, mango, peach, vanilla, grapefruit, and apricot really well balanced. 4.5

Mouthfeel is above medium, not sticky or dry, soft gentle creamy carbonation, and at 8.5% it goes down extremely easy. 4.75

Overall another exceptional beer from in my opinion the State’s best all around brewery Deciduous. Cheers all and thanks @Shanex for getting us rolling. 4.5

39. jonphisher

jonphisher Defender (634) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

Yea it definitely through me off in that beer. It was not a hoppy bitter more like a grainy/nutty so I’m guessing it came from the malt somehow, though I’m not sure.

MacMalt, 2beerdogs, JayORear and 3 others like this.
  40. WunderLlama

Society Trader

Fremont 12th anniversary stout with cherries

called out by @Roguer to taste and review this beer

[​IMG]

4.26/5 rDev -1.6%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bomber received in Bif14 from @snaotheus , capped bottle sealed by a silver grey wax seal

Notes: Stout aged in 8-10-year old Heaven Hill bourbon barrels with tart Montmorency and dark tart cherries from Royal Ridge Fruits in Royal WA

Down & Dirty: Maris Otter, Lyon Munich, Carafa-1 Special, Roast Barley, Dark Crystal, Rolled Oats, Flaked Barley, 2-Row Pale, Crystal-60, Chocolate, and Carafa-2 malts with US Magnum, US Goldings, Willamette, Columbus, and Cascade hops

Chilled 1.5 hours in the beer fridge

Poured into a Spiegelau snifter produces a dense , tightly bubbled two finger brown foam mark , reduces to a pencil thick layer after five minutes , no lacings but Schlerrin marks at the high water mark

Aroma is bourbon on the uncapping . First sniff is bourbon , malts, chocolate covered cherries . Dark fruits, cherries, whiff of cinnamon. Bourbon soaked cherries

Taste is bourbon , cherries , hint of chocolate on the finish . No char . The cherry presence is subtle Hint of vanilla. Hint of cola . sweet

Soft, lush , rich , velvety mouthfeel , gentle fizzy sudsing , full mouthfeel , a light syrup . No alcohol heat

Good beer, flavorful potent stout

Thanks @snaotheus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.