New Beer Weekend #78

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Roguer, Jan 15, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (6,923) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Moderator Society Trader

Good morning, Weekenders and Advocates!

It may be early here on the East Coast, but now is the time - and this is the place - to crack open a beer you've never before had - a new to you beer - and come tell us about it! As always, pictures and review links are welcome, but the only requirement is that you tell us something about how the beer smells, tastes, feels, and most importantly, whether or not you like it!

I'm personally celebrating being home, if only for the (long) weekend. Hence, the pre-9 am beer and thread kickoff. :wink: Being back in my own bed, next to my partner, my pup sprawled across my legs, brings an unbelievable feeling of comfort. I don't know what defines home for you, but for me, it's wherever my partner and I can be together.

Today's first beer serendipitously wound up being a great choice for a breakfast beer: Cinnamon Toastie by Lone Pine of Portland, Maine.

[​IMG]

This is my first beer from Lone Pine, and while I did clock in -rDev, I suspect that the more people try this beer, the worse my -rDev will become, because I think it's a really damn good beer. It just doesn't tick all the boxes when you rate every aspect by itself.

This is a very roasty beer, in particular on the nose; it could almost pass as a coffee beer. The cinnamon is noticeable but not overpowering. The vanilla is primarily complementary. Sweetness is present but low to moderate; it's definitely not a dessert beer.

I love the way the flavors come together. It reminds me of Founders Breakfast Stout - not in the flavors themselves, but just in how it fits so well for a breakfast beer. Full tasting notes in the review.

I really enjoyed this one. Take my modest rating with a grain of salt and try it yourself.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/44548/573521/?ba=Roguer#review
    3.81 / -1.3%

Cheers, Weekenders!

2. ZebulonXZogg

ZebulonXZogg Savant (959) May 5, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Pollyanna's Personal Chain Letter, Barrel Aged Russian Imperial Stout with coffee and vanilla.
    [​IMG]
    Plenty of great aroma and flavor with this, but I probably would have enjoyed it more without the coffee and vanilla. I hate when they ad junk to beer!

4.23/5 rDev -2.3%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L: Pours a thick, oily black, small tan head fades quickly to a ring, no lacing, but an oily film on the glass.
    S: Vanilla dominates as soon as the can opens, coffee, and bourbon, hints of cocoa.
    T: Very flavorful, vanilla, coffee and bourbon.
    F: Thick, creamy mouthfeel, abv well hidden.
    O: I really enjoyed this at first but the vanilla and coffee, got a bit old after 8 oz. I would love to try this without the vanilla or coffee. Still, an excellent beer.

3. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,429) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Life is better on the Farm

Especially if there is barley growing on that farm!

[​IMG]

Which brings us to today’s new beer which has an ‘interesting’ name: Stickman Daisy Point Farm Pilsner.

I have never heard about Daisy Point Farm so I conducted a web search but I came up with bupkiss. Is this a fictitious farm name? Maybe, but the cow on the label is saying “It’s a Stickman, just drink it” so that is good enough for me.

I also tried to learn more about this beer so once again I conducted a web search to only find the following:

“Daisy Point Farm Pilsner is a no nonsense, Czech style pilsner. Unfiltered, crisp, and full flavored. What else do you need to know?”

Well, as a homebrewer and beer aficionado I would indeed like to know more details but it would seem this beer is rather ‘camouflaged’. Perhaps a better name for this beer would be Incognito Pilsner?

But as well know it is what’s inside that counts.

Served in my Polish Pilsner glass:

Appearance:

A pale straw color with a BIG rocky white head.

Aroma:

A combination of bready Pilsner malt and hop aromas of herbal/spicy.

Taste:

The flavor follows the nose with the combination of bready Pilsner malt and herbal/spicy hop flavors. There is a firm bitterness.

Mouthfeel:

Medium bodied with a dry finish.

Overall:

This beer is very good! Another “Fine Pilsner” to join the plethora of other high quality Pilsners produced by Philly area craft breweries.

Cheers!

@rotsaruch @KOP_Beer_OUtlet @RobH

[​IMG]

4. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (6,923) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Moderator Society Trader

Another new beer today: Fuck 2021 As Well, Abomination Brewery's follow up to last year's Fuck 2020. I've gotta say, I love the names, and I love the can art.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This 9.7% ABV "triple dry hopped" IIPA is not screwing around. It's big, bold, and obviously quite hoppy. It's a bit of a melange of flavors, with tropical fruit, bright herbs, and citrus fruit, roughly in that order of prominence. The alcohol has a bit of (not unpleasant) sting, and the malt base provides a modest amount of sweetness, amplifying the juiciness.

It's not a ground-breaking beer blazing some new trail, but it's very well executed and very tasty. No complaints.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/48715/585548/?ba=Roguer#review
    4.04 / added to database

5. Mdog

Mdog Poo-Bah (2,458) Jan 7, 2004 Minnesota
    Society

Thanks Roguer for starting it up this morning. Went on an errand run and stopped by the closest mom & pop liquor store for some bourbon and checked the beer section, found a new Surly!

Surly Double Bladed Axe Man
    [​IMG]

Appearance: Mostly clear gold, big head.

Smell: Rich sweetness, big citrus note, bit of alcohol.

Taste: Moderately sweet then a big hit of citrus bitterness. Middle has some tropical fruit notes then more black cherry-like (which to my taste buds means alcohol). Somewhat full mouthfeel, not syrupy though. Finishes moderately bitter.

Overall: Very surprised to find this so soon after its release. It's a solid beer, not mind-blowing, kind of old school DIPA feel to it. Definitely a fair amount of malt and alcohol and bitterness, not a softy. I like it.

eppCOS, MacMalt, 2beerdogs and 30 others like this.
  6. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,345) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

So, Surly is retconning what axe in "Axe Man" means?

7. Act25

Act25 Poo-Bah (3,369) Nov 8, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

4x4 new winter brews for coldest day
    Aberration | Toms River | NJ | 6% | Dark IPA
    /5 rDev +5.2%
    look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5
    3rd review. This is Irish Jersey at its best. (I am otherwise a Carton fan)
    a) Fills the snifter to the top with lace all the way as I draw down on this black brew.
    s) dark roasted malts, bitter hops, and winter warmer type citrus, brown sugar, cocoa, and as reviewer said (orange chocolate candy).
    t) Fills mouth with aroma’s flavors but blooms larger, with more chocolate, roast, and excellent punchy hop bitter almost medicinal.
    f) fuller mouthfeel than tyoical IPA with moderate carbonation.
    o) One of my most favorite styles, done to perfection, not too sweet, just the right bitter, smoke finish.

Juicy Ass IPA | Flying Monkeys Craft | Ontario | 6.5% | NEIPA
    4.17/
    5 rDev +6.9%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25
    Hoppy to find this on Jersey Shore.
    Gotta let this warm to cask to get all the juicy ass.
    a) modestly hazed golden yellow color lace spreading over the entire snifter.
    s) Aromas first of lemon, then grapefruit, peach, mango, melon, citrus peel, pine, honey on toast.
    t) Follows aromas with bigger burts of juicy fruit punch a decent mix of citrus, tropical, melon and peach. Adds toasted bread, herbs, flowers, grassy earthiness.
    f) Complex, juicy, cleansing, peppery mouth feel.
    o) As with all canadians, great craft, a bit original.

DuckBoy Pale Ale | Little Dog | Neptune NJ | 5.25% | APA
    /5 rDev +8.6%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4
    As if the Jersey Shore did not need to get any weirder, we have towns like Neptune and Red Bank and Little Silver and Little Egg. (oh it gets weirder just visit). But neptune is sister to AsburyPark, a famous NJ town and around here (Carton, Kane, LittleDog) they make great beer. It’s the water (Pizza, bagels, french bread good too!)
    APA is my favorites style in which Dales Pale is quintessential. Most APAs are blonder and lighter like DuckBoy and it hits the mark.
    a) My snifter fills with dotty lace like stained glass over classic chill-hazed golden amber body.
    s) Hot citric hops like peppery marmalade, rind included, over french bread toast. (not french toast)
    t) Follows aroma, balanced, adds more lemon pound cake. Granted it’s an everyday beer, not at IPA, bright, clean, somewhat pilsner like.,
    f) Clean carbonation. Dry finish.
    o) Juicy, balanced, good food and first beer of evening. Duck boy is a lucky boy.

This Is Definitely Not A Fake Duck
    Carton | Atlantic Highlands, NJ | 12% | Winter Warmer
    /5 rDev 0%
    look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4
    1st review. This is revised Decoy where the backstory, narrated by a fat, 40-something Augie Carton is lovingly told below in 2013. 8 years later what have we learned? (Well, for one thing, Augie's now co-captain of a lithe cycle racing team.)
    a) splash of peppery lace around the snifter over a solid walnut brown body. (brown sauce)
    s) faintly of peppercorn and spice, tea and spice cabinet of black teas and old spice, wood, smoke.
    t) Follows the aromas with a nice back-drop of peppery burn.
    f) Silky, sweet/pepper, last beer of evening (at least before you hop on the winter stationary bike and do a Time Trial)
    o) It’s a replay of Decoy, with slightly more pepper? Save for special occasions.

As always, we believe our own (Carton in my home town), our water, our terroire is best. You gotta love where you live. And we homies do love Carton beer.

eppCOS, MacMalt, 2beerdogs and 25 others like this.
  8. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Poo-Bah (1,780) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society

Thank you for kicking the proceedings off @Roguer ! Perhaps we will take a three day holiday weekend for NBW/NBS!

@ZebulonXZogg , I agree for the most part and have stopped buying variant laden BA Imperial Stouts and regular imperial stouts, w with the exception of some coffee or coconut versions. Like when the extra components complement rather than overwhelm the base beer.

I rated two NA beers for the tasting thread, which I have been enjoying participating and learning. The Athletic Run Wild was my favorite.

I am starting here with a new release by a classic brewery which I’ve seen popping up in BA over the past few weeks.

Sierra Nevada Powder Day IPA

[​IMG]

Can Notes:

Appearance:
    Crystal clear yellow tan pour, medium carbonation, generous head which resulted in multiple pours into the shake pint glass. Creamy egg white head leaves generous creamy full lacing. 4.5

Aroma:
    Nice citrus pine aroma, full strength and pleasant. Old school IPA! 4.5

Taste:
    Really hitting the spot for me, taste consistent with aroma, even fuller, excellent balance. Pithy, light dankness. Consistent with typical SN Hoppy Bitter IPA taste and feel, top shelf and right in my wheelhouse! 4.75

Mouthfeel: Very dry and bitter, this beer is present in the feel as much or more than the taste. Medium carbonation persists throughout. Dry bitter aftertaste, could be too much for some which do not like this combo but perfect for me. 4.75

Overall: Perhaps I’m just missing having SN by me (usually just drink out west or if I can get in McHenry County fresh), but so grateful for this beer gift from my brother!

Outstanding taste and feel, would have to confirm but I believe this is my favorite SN IPA, and likely a top 5-10 rating for me, as it hits everything I’m looking for in a Old School WCIPA. Outstanding Sierra Nevada, thanks for this release! 4.75

Countdown to Ecstasy indeed!

eppCOS, MacMalt, 2beerdogs and 29 others like this.
  9. GreenBayBA

GreenBayBA Poo-Bah (1,706) Aug 30, 2015 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    It appeares @Mdog beat me to it. I was very excited to try this beer. Surly Brewing was the first brewery I chased after for their beers once I got into craft beer, because of their quality, and also their connection to heavy metal music. I was born in Minneapolis, MN, and almost all of my relatives live in Minnesota, so I visit the area frequently. Having said this, I will be hosting a beer share near the warehouse district in Minneapolis at 7pm on 4/1/22. All Minnesota BAs are welcome! Todd the Axe Man was one of my favorite beers. I have not purchased Axe Man without Todd being involved. This beer is certainly more "abrasive." The appearance is golden copper blood orange, with a light white foamy hat. The smell is very powerful, with tropical fruit, malty, and floral. The taste is also very powerful, featuring citrus fruits, hard candy sweetness, malty, slightly bitter, with a pleasant tropical/bready aftertaste. The mouthfeel is medium carbonation, full, and heavy. Overall, I don't believe this beer is better than (Todd the) Axe Man. I haven't had Abrasive is some time, but I would probably choose that beer over this one, in this genre. I do like the can art. I have a large battle axe tattoo on my stomach, so I am partial to that design.

#9 GreenBayBA, Jan 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    ChicagoJ, eppCOS, MacMalt and 28 others like this.
  10. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (6,479) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

[​IMG] Thank you @Roguer for getting us started today and I am loaded with New Beers this weekend again. This is a collaboration with J. Wakefield Brewing & Other Half NEIPA 7%. Pours a cloudy orange with a solid finger sticky white head that leaves little bubbles of lace all down the sides of the glass with nice retention. 4.25

Aroma is peach, mango, papaya, and apricot. 4

Taste follows peach, mango, papaya, and apricot big on flavor, low bitterness, and maybe a touch sweet. 4

Mouthfeel is above average, soft gentle carbonation, not sticky or dry, and at 7% it goes down very easy. 4.25

Overall this is really solid, but I was hoping for more. Still really solid. Cheers all. 4

ChicagoJ, eppCOS, MacMalt and 26 others like this.
  11. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,345) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Thanks for kicking things off, @Roguer.

I had this yesterday as part of the NA online tasting, so technically not a part of the weekend. However, I thought some here might be interested.

I did a side-by-side of Weihenstephaner's Non-Alcoholic Hefeweizen and their Hefe Weissbier.
    The NA was new to me.

[​IMG]

Overall, the NA is no hefeweizen, but it is enjoyable in its own right Even so, I doubt I'll be buying it again. My rating of the NA computes to 3.46.

Here is the complete posting of the side-by-side.

ChicagoJ, eppCOS, MacMalt and 28 others like this.
  12. ZebulonXZogg

ZebulonXZogg Savant (959) May 5, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Synaptic Cleft from Drekker really just didn't work on any level.
    [​IMG]

3.49/5 rDev -13.2%
    look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5
    by ZebulonXZogg from Illinois

L: Pours a pale, hazy yellow, a decent white head that fades to a foamy ring, excellent lacing.
    S: Lotsa tropical fruit, mild hops.
    T: Bitterness starts early overpowering the "tropical" fruit flavors.
    F: It felt acidic, decent carbonation.
    O: This one just doesn't work for me.

13. officerbill

officerbill Savant (958) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

I've had a bottle of Harveys Elizabethan Ale in my basement for about a year and, given today's weather (8° now), I figured it was time to open it up.
    The label says
    and that it commemorates the Queen's visit on 10/31/13 so I'm thinking this "new to me" beer is 8 years old
    [​IMG]
    Elizabethan pours a clear amber, almost the color of light maple syrup, with a thin short lived head, and the aromas of caramel, toffee, and fresh sticky buns.

The flavors follow the aromas with caramel, toffee, strong tea w/sugar, the cake part of fruitcake, and some burnt sugar bitterness

Light bodied and easy drinking for the style with no noticeable carbonation and a slick bittersweet aftertaste

Overall, this is a very nice barleywine style ale, but it is held back by the relatively one dimensional flavor profile. I don't know if that is due to the age, storage (likely just sitting on a store shelf or in a warehouse), or if that is just how it is made.
    An enjoyable beer, but it is a toss up whether or not I'll buy another.
    4.06/5 rDev +2.3%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

ChicagoJ, MacMalt, 2beerdogs and 28 others like this.
  14. LesDewitt4beer

LesDewitt4beer Meyvn (1,118) Jan 25, 2021 Minnesota
    Society

Omission IPA Gluten-Reduced 6.7%ABV
    3.63/5 rDev +4.6%
    look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5
    12oz bottle pkg date Nov 8, 2021 into a 16oz glass.
    L: Pours a chill hazed light apricot gold color with a 1" rocky soapy white head. Light carbonation with random light sticky lacing.
    S: Hops, light bready malt, stone fruit, grains. Earthy.
    T: Apricot, light pine, a nuance of sour, tangerine zest. Slightly hop frwd & grassy/earthy, sharp and a bit tangy. Malting is subtle and pale. Some bitter hops linger.
    F: A medium bodied mouthfeel with a med-length finish that is moderately drying. Low carbonation.
    O: An earthy tasting and pale IPA that is hop frwd and fairly easy drinking. It's bitterness is bold. A good gluten-reduced IPA overall.
    I might adjust my rating with upping the look but lowering the taste a notch. No hurry. Cheers!!
    [​IMG]

ChicagoJ, eppCOS, MacMalt and 27 others like this.
  15. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (11,957) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Boulevard Space Camper Nova Flare West Coast Style IPA, 5.9% ABV; 3.84 overall

Pours an effervescent & hazed gold with 2+ fingers of rocky pearl colored head. Stellar lacing & good head retention

S: Orange juice, guava, fades a touch once warm

T: Tangerine, lime, bready & grassy notes up front. More tangerine & lime, plus dryness as this warms. Finishes with lime bitterness, orange sweetness, grassy notes & dryness

MF: Medium body, pretty firm carbonation, pretty good balance

Plenty drinkable, just lacking the depth of flavor to make this one I would recommend

ChicagoJ, eppCOS, MacMalt and 24 others like this.
  16. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,575) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

We are enjoying our visit here in Florida. Last day with my sister and BIL, heading to the in-laws tomorrow. It's been a good trip overall, except for a flat tire on our rental car. This took several hours to resolve, which didn't seem necessary to me, but in the end I got it resolved and got an upgrade on a car.
    I hit Total Wine in Sarasota and got a few beers I've been wanting to try. One of which is the Utopia barrel-aged WWS. Very good beer, but quite a mouthful.
    A pitch-black pour with no head.
    Very boozy aroma. Some dark fruit and some chocolate.
    Taste of rum, some bourbon. Cherry. Chocolate.
    This is a big, aggressive beer. Sip carefully!

[​IMG]

ChicagoJ, eppCOS, MacMalt and 32 others like this.
  17. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (5,010) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

First up on this Saturday, Brooke Special Effects Hoppy Amber, Brooklyn is always a solid brewery and they seem to be doing a great job with nonalcoholic beers.
    3.88/5 rDev +9.3%
    look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 oz can poured into a pint glass

A- A clear golden amber with a small white head.

S- Wheat, honey, tea, earth, touch of citrus.

T- Wheat, toasted sweet bread, earth, some citrus, herbal tea.

M- Smooth, light to medium body, high carbonation.

O- Honestly this is a tasty amber and easy to drink. Flavors a slightly on the lighter side but still well done.
    [​IMG]
    Cheers!

ChicagoJ, eppCOS, MacMalt and 29 others like this.
  18. SawDog505

Society

[​IMG] Poured into a 13 oz Teku glass not sure exactly but canned sometime in December. Pours a hazy yellow with a 2 finger sticky white head that leaves little bubbles of lace with with excellent retention. 4.75

Aroma is guava, mandarin, passionfruit, apricot, and grapefruit rind. 4.25

Taste is huge guava, mandarin, passionfruit, apricot, and grapefruit and little gritty hop burn. 4

Mouthfeel is big, gentle carbonation but loads of hop sediment and I rotated a few times before pouring. 3.50

Overall nice nose, good flavor, but that gritty sediment thing really hurt this one. Still worth a shot. 3.75

19. beerjerk666

beerjerk666 Poo-Bah (3,213) Aug 22, 2010 Florida
    Society Trader

G'afternoon NBW/NBS-ers!

Picked up a 4-pack at the local ABC yesterday on my way home from work. At the sale price of $7.24 I couldn't resist!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Poured from a 16 oz can.
    Opaque golden orange body with pillowy white head that leaves plenty of lacing in the glass. Mild aromas of bread, cracker and citrus. Taste follows suit with a easy drinking honey and bread taste with a dry finish. Super easy to drink with a sessionable abv. This is a definite crushable beer.

Cheers!

ChicagoJ, eppCOS, MacMalt and 25 others like this.
  20. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (5,324) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

Was at Holler Brewing in Houston today, and had their new Hollahollaholla, yeah they sometimes go overboard with the tongue in cheek names, but oh well. Its a Foreign/Export Stout at 6.9% ABV.

[​IMG]

Pours a nearly opaque black color. A dense tan head rises with excellent retention and lace left behind. This is a looker.
    The aroma is full on roasted malt in the nose. Coffee, bitter bakers chocolate, toffee. Baked dark bread, really enjoyable.
    Taste wise, like the nose, all the roasted malt flavors. Coffee, bakers chocolate, toffee, baked bread. The bakers chocolate finishes with a dry bitterness. Maybe even a touch of an earthy hop bit in there as well, but very faint.
    A full body. The carbonation is crisp but ultra smooth at the same time. Beautifully dry as should be expected. This is a really good one, that I had no trouble drinking and will come back plenty.

That malt character is so wonderfully dry, and nuanced. Easily one of the better American examples of the style I have had. Well done all around. The kind of beer I can see Malcolm Lowry enjoying at a pub.

Overall score is 4.13, an easy A- and can probably bump it up a little higher on subsequent tries.
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/45647/585605/?ba=champ103#review

21. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (11,957) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Gotahold Brewing's Daily Bread Dopplebock, 8.3% ABV; 4.29 overall

Pours an effervescent copper/hazel with 2 fingers tan head. Some lacing & head retention

S: Brown Bread, dark fruits, brown sugar in abundance

T: Cakeyness, brown sugar & figs, plus woody hops up front. Dryness, brown sugar & woody hops as this warms. Finishes dry with woody hops & a little brown sugar & figs

MF: Medium body, moderate carbonation

Good shot at the style. I prefer them a little sweeter & thicker bodied, but still pretty good

22. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (5,010) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

Athletic All Out seems to be a fairly popular NA beer and opening one I can see why.
    3.99/5 rDev +10.2%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 oz can poured into a pint glass

A- Black with a two finger mocha head

S- Roasted malts, somewhat nutty, chocolate, hints of cinnamon.

T- Roasted malts, bitter chocolate, a little nutty, touch of cinnamon.

M- Smooth, light to medium body.

O- An impressive nonalcoholic stout, easy to drink.
    [​IMG]
    Cheers!

ChicagoJ, eppCOS, MacMalt and 24 others like this.
  23. Todd

Todd Founder (6,632) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Good afternoon, New Beer Weekend!

Just had a Wenceslas from Art History Brewing. I need more dark Czech lagers like this one in my life.

[​IMG]

Review: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/59886/520943/?ba=Todd#lists

4.22/5 rDev +0.7%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

16oz canned on 12/01/2021 "Merry Xmas." Sample from the brewery. Thanks, Cindy & Tom!

Poured into a 0.5L Art History Czech Mug. Rich, dark, near opaque chestnut brown with deep red hues and a creamy, light beige head that clings to the mug a bit. Nose is bit roasty, bready, and spicy. Super creamy on the palate, medium-bodied, with a slight chewiness and crispy edge. Malty, bready, and toasty with deep roasty notes, coffee, cocoa, tobacco, and char. There's some nuttiness too, licks of caramel, a light bitterness and splash of citrus, some mild astringency, and layers of spice reminiscent of caraway and pepper. Finish is soft, a bit doughy, earthy, minerally, and herbal.

Cindy from Art History informed me that this winter seasonal sells out in 2.5 weeks. I can see why. This is a delicious dark Czech Lager that's worthy of its name.

24. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (4,223) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

Always good to see another overrater join the group.

:sunglasses:

Seriously, though, the lager game in Chicago in its entirety is world class, IMHO. Art History, Dovetail, Goldfinger, Metropolitan ….. the list goes on. I could go to Chicago and literally fill a Brinks truck with all the great lagers the City of Big Shoulders offers.

25. SawDog505

Society

Pours a hazy yellow with a half finger sticky white head that leaves some thin streaks of lace with nice retention. 4.25

Aroma is ripe melon, mandarin, passionfruit, apricot, and hints of grapefruit and lemon rind. 4.25

Taste follows cantaloupe, mandarin, passionfruit, apricot, lemon, and grapefruit really well balanced. 4

Mouthfeel is a little above average, soft gentle almost creamy carbonation, not sticky or dry, and at 7% ABV easy going down. 4.75

Overall another excellent brew from this young brewery. 4.25

ChicagoJ, eppCOS, Premo88 and 20 others like this.
  26. DogbiteWilliams

DogbiteWilliams Initiate (70) Mar 28, 2015 California

I recently had my first Deschutes Fresh Haze and I loved it - great fruity, juicy flavors and aromas, and not at all too bitter (the listed IBU rating is just 45). I intend to grab another one on my next trip to Trader Joe's. I hope they'll still be available.

ChicagoJ, eppCOS, Premo88 and 15 others like this.
  27. ovaltine

Society Trader

Hello NBW friends. I first tried this beer (actually the base) in August of 2016 when we lived in Minnesota and I drove 2-1/2 hours - each way - to pick up two cases of bombers when it was a brewery only release and you had to call to see if it would be available on that particular day.

That beer is my second rated beer on BA. It’s changed quite a bit in the ensuing 6 years (it’s now a hazy, canned, and WIDELY available), but it’s still excellent, IMHO, so I’m really excited to try the DDH version.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4.74/5 rDev +4.2%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75
    by ovaltine from Indiana

Canned on 12/3/21, so it’s still very fresh (BB date is 4/2/22). An aggressive pour reveals a very hazy pineapple colored beer with a fluffy white head that is CLINGING to the glass. Absolutely gorgeous hazy.

The nose captures the amped up DDH hopping - dank oranges, and loads of mango and pineapple. Wow, really incredible nose, especially as it warms.

The oranges are forward on the taste, but there are waves of mango and pineapple that follow, and they are all sorts of juicy - and dangerously chuggable at 7.8% ABV.

The mouthfeel is actually a bit dry, which works for me exceptionally well. I’m a huge fan of the OG bombers, but this is a more than worthy addition to the King Sue family. World class stuff.

28. DogbiteWilliams

DogbiteWilliams Initiate (70) Mar 28, 2015 California

I'd probably like this if I ever had to opportunity to try it.

ChicagoJ, Whyteboar, FBarber and 3 others like this.
  29. ovaltine

Society Trader

#2, I am a Rev fanboy, and I love the base beer and peanut butter, so I like my odds on this porter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4.19/5 rDev +3.5%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
    by ovaltine from Indiana

Pours a dark cola color with a substantial tan head. The nose is dominated by the peanut butter - there’s milk chocolate underneath and a slight char note, but the peanut butter is the boss.

The taste is more balanced, with the peanut butter present, but allowing room for the milk chocolate and char flavors. This is NOT a peanut butter cup porter, which works in its favor.

The mouthfeel is medium and a bit creamy. A great dessert beer, this is really well done by Revolution, especially if you like peanut butter. Guilty as charged, your honor.

30. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (8,229) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Hey what's going on?!

Hope all is well. I am ready for my weekend. Honestly, don't have much to say... so just leaving it at that, I am still working on putting a dent in some of my new goodies.

What's new for our hero today?

[​IMG]

Poured from the can into a Spiegelau IPA glass. Canned Sep 22nd 2021.

Opaque bodied with a creamed dark custard yellow, and hinting some brown edges in color. Fluffy whip creamed top of soft white color, easily reaching more than three fingers with thick retention, and rings of lace, and chunky amounts of whipped up head.

Bursting notes of tea and orange, with hints of lots of pithy grapefruit zest and oily bitterness of hop on the nose. Aromas of delicious hop flavors hit real nicely through a neutral malt and yeast presence.

Palate hints of fade, but still easily delivers. A surprising creamy mouthfeel, with a light touch of malt sweetness that leads to earthy hop flavors and touches of pithy citrus. Fruit hints in the finish of grapefruit oil, touches even a light peach flavor with more hints zesty rind in the mix. Nearly gets into that vanilla creamsicle flavor also which is always a great addition to an IPA.

Solid tasting IPA.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4 | Final Score: 4.16

Cheers!

ChicagoJ, eppCOS, Beersnake1 and 26 others like this.
  31. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (3,348) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Thanks to @Roguer for launching the thread today! Cracked one of my two bottles of FOMO from bottle logic.

Poured at fridge temp. Pours motor oil black with a thin layer of brown head. Doesn't stick around for long.

The nose is coffee, marshmallow, bourbon, vanilla, milk chocolate, fig newton, and a slight hint of roasted malts.

The taste is incredible. The coffee is front and center, and it's wonderful. Super smooth dark roast. Bourbon, vanilla, blackberries, brown sugar, marshmallow, chocolate, raisins, and a back end that has a touch of bitter roasted malts. The coffee and roasted malts really mesh well.

The mouthfeel is so thick and creamy. Wow. Overall, just a phenomenal BA coffee stout.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

[​IMG]

32. LesDewitt4beer

LesDewitt4beer Meyvn (1,118) Jan 25, 2021 Minnesota
    Society

Sierra Nevada Atomic DIPA
    4.29/5 rDev +5.1%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
    12oz bottle pkg date 09/29/21 into a wide mouth 16oz ball jar.
    L: Pours perfect amber with a very light yeast haze. Off white rocky/creamy 1" head. Good retention to a thick skin. Med-low carbonation. Moderate sticky lacing/banding.
    S: Caramel, sweet candy, light sweet bread, dark berries, alcohol as beer warms.
    T: Fruity, spicy peppery hops, black pepper, light honey, apricot, crackery malts, blueberry, conifer being mainly cedar over pine, lemon zest, mandarin orange zest, mango. Very floral hops. Sweet with a moderately bitter finish. Light alcohol as the beer warms.
    F: Juicy, creamy, smooth & lush med-heavy full bodied mouthfeel that is built firm with a med-long lightly drying finish.
    O: A hop frwd well balanced juicy DIPA with a full-flavored fruit approach. It's quite soft & smooth with an enhanced take on it's predecessor "Torpedo IPA". Atomic Torpedo has ardent floral & dank hops on top of a thorough malt backbone. It is outstanding in it's style.

Wow advocates! What a great brew from SN. Really happy that I picked up a mix pack. Seen it for a while and this pk was a month+ fresher than others so BOOM! All beers in it are tasting quite great and I got it for this beer alone.
    Cheers all! Happy NBW Saturday!
    [​IMG]

ChicagoJ, eppCOS, Beersnake1 and 24 others like this.
  33. jonphisher

jonphisher Meyvn (1,205) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

A pleasure to read all the fine new beers drank thus far this weekend. My favorite part of the week is back. Just got back from a nice long cold night walk, something about real cold brings me peace of mind. Warming up with my last beer from a great @BBThunderbolt box. After I tried regular kitten mittens I was excited to see how the coconut plays with the base.

Kulshan Brewing - coconut kitten mittens

[​IMG]

Pours dark dark brown, but crystal clear when held to light. Seems a little flat when pouring, head and bubbles were very slow to form. They did slowly, not much retention or lacing. A few light brown bubbly islands remain.

Aroma is coconut, coffee and chocolate notes. It is a fresh coconut smell, like those shavings before they have been cooked.

Taste is much the same. The coconut mixed with the chocolate notes is most of what I taste.

Mouthfeel is a little watery, which strikes me as strange because the regular wasn’t. It has a low smooth carbonation and finishes with slight roasty bitterness.

Neat to try and compare to the regular but I much prefer the kitten mittens without coconut. Thanks again for all the great beers @BBThunderbolt you sustained me for 3 NBWs I believe.

ChicagoJ, eppCOS, Beersnake1 and 23 others like this.
  34. RJLarse

RJLarse Poo-Bah (1,994) Dec 30, 2005 Washington
    Society

Greetings All from the Great Northwest where we are cold, gray and foggy. Just hanging out watching some Wildcard Playoff Football.

Today we have Beestly Honey Porter from Hopworks Urban Brewery.
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16353/543474/

It's just OK I'm afraid. The sweetness tastes like cough syrup. It was worth a try but probably not a repeat.

Until next time

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ChicagoJ, eppCOS, Beersnake1 and 24 others like this.
  35. jonphisher

jonphisher Meyvn (1,205) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Literally just poured a honey porter right before I saw this post. Cape May Honey Porter, based on your review they are very different beers.

36. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Poo-Bah (1,780) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society

New to me brewery near the hockey rink. This beer was on cask and draft, when I asked when they tapped the cask, the bartender didn’t know, so draft it is.

Union Brewery Company Good Times

[​IMG]

Beer Notes: Imperial IPA 10.8 ABV, 71 IBU.

Appearance: Dark tan, bubbly head quickly recedes. 3.75

Aroma:
    Light piney malt. 3.25

Taste:
    Bitter bomb, piney. Really bitter without taste beyond alcohol. 2.75

Mouthfeel:
    Creamy medium to full body, no carb, extremely bitter and dry, both linger. 2.5

Overall:
    This is a one way beer, too much, no balance. Not sure I’ll finish. 2.5

37. snaotheus

snaotheus Poo-Bah (5,900) Oct 6, 2008 Washington
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Schneider Weisse - Meine Hopfenweisse. Paired with chicken posole for dinner, reviewed with the remainder after dinner.

500ml bottle served in a footed pilsner glass. Stamp on the back says 21 109 030321. Poured leaving a substantial amount in the bottle.

Pours a clear yellow with a fairly big head. Smell is grainy, fruity (citrus, maybe a little creamy passionfruit). Almost a brett funk aroma to it.

Taste is a little banana, some citrus, some sweetness. Bready, grainy.

Mouthfeel is rich and full. Overall, good beer.

ChicagoJ, eppCOS, Beersnake1 and 26 others like this.
  38. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (25,331) May 5, 2010 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Have a great NBW. Had a good work week, have a winter storm coming in this weekend. Good thing I work from home all the time. Been spending my free time with games and watching Movies and MST3K episodes with julia. We got a new Q7DA 55 inch 4K TV last Monday and I moved my 32 inch to our bedroom with a chromecast. I just need to buy my 5.1 speakers for the living room and my entertainment center will be complete. Been mostly eating food from Aldi and got a Gold's gym membership this week. I am way out of lifting and cardio shape again as expected. Soon I can bike the NC trails in Spring. Good we Don't have to wait for Spring Thaw.

From IP trade with @hoptheology . Perennial Prism: Hallertau Blanc Centennial. This was awesome. Fluffy head and foamy lacing. Aromas and flavors of big lemongrass, white grape/wine, red apple, pear, melon, berries, red grapefruit, orange, cedar, mint, peppercorn, clove, light banana, pine, wheat, cracker, hay, straw, elderflower, herbal, grass, and yeast funk/earthiness. Moderate pepper/clove spiciness; and pine, woody, herbal, grassy bitterness on the finish. High carbonation, light-medium body, and crisp/clean finishing. Balanced bready/grainy wheat and sticky hops in the mouthfeel. Slight lingering resins. Minimal warming 5.5%. Minimal residual sweetness with crisp dryness. Very refreshing and flavorful. A spot on saison all around. Awesome balance between the yeast and the hop character. Will have to seek out other cans locally. Jared got it in Charlotte after all. 4.15
    [​IMG]

Cheers

ChicagoJ, eppCOS, Beersnake1 and 25 others like this.
  39. LeRose

LeRose Poo-Bah (1,684) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society

Hey, kids. It is a balmy 12 degrees here with a feels like of 7. We just got back from a great day at the beach, so time for a beer. Well, half of that is true...

Definitely beer time. This one seems interesting from a favorite brewer:

[​IMG]

Yep...ooops... Destination Estonia in Jack's Abby Lagers of the World series, an 8.4% Imperial porter. According to the can, it uses rye and Lubelski Polish hops. According to the brewer... "We have long been fascinated by the Baltic Porter style and have brewed a range of them over the years. The origin story is widely contested, but we believe it's home country is Estonia which is why we were honored to work with Pohjala on this creation. They are passionate experts in the style and powerful advocates for Estonian beer."

Well, alrighty then. It pours a dark cola color with pretty red highlights. The head got outta control, takes about ten minutes to subside, and glues itself to the glass.

First impression on the smell is of smokey, toasty malts. There is a slight tang, a hint of a molasses-like smell, a light earthiness and a whiff of floral...and I want to say lavender. I'm getting kind of a noble hop vibe, but it is slightly different with the floral bit. Interesting.

The taste opens with toasted malt. A decent acidic, grainy tang from the rye. There is a slight sweetness, but not much, in the molasses/brown sugar camp. Finishes clean, nice level of bitterness. In the after taste that smoke sensation returns with a charred note - not strong, but definitely present as the overall taste fades. On further sips, the flavors all meld together seamlessly, and become highlighted by a delicate floral/herbal note and mild spiciness that I am going to say is anise. This beer is simple, right, and tight.

The feel is medium, carbonation is moderate bordering high. It feels smooth and luscious. Pleasantly warming.

This is a no-nonsense, nicely crafted, straightforward beer. I enjoy this back to basics approach when it's done right, and this one's right, including the traditional hops. The homework was done - this is no half-assed homage attempt. Hard to reconcile this with the BA style guidelines that implies a Baltic porter was a vehicle to hide flaws or use up stale beers. For execution alone, this beer is floating at 4.0 on my mental scorecard. I wish they'd keep this one around.

40. micada

micada Meyvn (1,250) Jul 13, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

Thin Man BBA Awesome Jenkins Willett barrels. Fantastic all around. They are crushing their barrel program right now. The Willett aroma just springs out of the bottle, two feet away. It’s a sexy, oily drink in the glass. The flavor is a decadent mix of spicy, hot bourbon followed by a cooling dark malt stout base. There’s a scant sweetness in the back, but not dessert type sweet. The barrel oak is all around the flavor profile, and rests on the top hue for quite some time. My beer budget is supposed to be frozen while we work on new carpets, but I must buy more of these. Great price point. People aren’t huge into stouts and barleywines around here, which is great for me!

[​IMG]

ChicagoJ, eppCOS, Premo88 and 24 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.