New Beer - Wrong Cap and Logo

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JohnnyGoldWeiss, Jun 10, 2015.

?

How many members have ever noticed the wrong cap on a unopened beer?

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    10.2%
  2. No

86 vote(s)
    87.8%
  3. Several Times

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyGoldWeiss

JohnnyGoldWeiss Initiate (49) Jun 7, 2015 Illinois

This has never happened to me until tonight.

2. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (473) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

This thread makes me wonder if I've ever bothered to even look at a cap while opening.

Edit: Just checked the garbage. Found a gargoyle and a pair of short pants. Well, at least now I know.

#2 Lazhal, Jun 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  3. Lipsntoes

Lipsntoes Initiate (0) Jul 15, 2012 Ohio

Not sure about the cap ( didn't look, not sure if they are different), but had a Grapefruit Sculpin last week that was a just a regular... Oh well, it was fresh and delicious.

4. mudbug

mudbug Defender (618) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

Garage sale beer at an unnamed brewery.

TreeBear and edd562 like this.
  5. BullDoza

BullDoza Initiate (194) Apr 12, 2014 Texas
    Trader

WHAT BEER, WHAT CAP? Can't leave us hanging, man.

edd562 likes this.
  6. Beerds

Beerds Initiate (0) May 13, 2015 Alabama

So far it's been correct label and cap. Maybe one day ill come across the rare error

7. Mike_Aguirre

Mike_Aguirre Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2015 Mexico

8. RobinLee

RobinLee Zealot (552) Feb 15, 2012 Wisconsin

So, is this question asking how many of us have been scammed, a la the KBBS refilling scandal?

SFACRKnight likes this.
  9. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Poo-Bah (2,669) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Society Trader

I just noticed the cap from my beer was missing, and so was the beer.

10. rab53

rab53 Poo-Bah (2,371) May 1, 2005 Washington
    Society

Only legit example I can think of is the Westvleteren caps on the Westmalle bottles.

11. edd562

edd562 Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2014 California

A buddy of mine bought a bottle of 'Black Tuesday' from Craigslist (it gets worse) never had a bottle so he didn't really know what to expect, but when I saw it I told him something was off.. The wax was not as elegant as it usually doesn't on a 'Black Tuesday' bottle or anything bottle waxed from the Bruery. We opened it and the contents were not Black Tuesday.. Maybe Guinness or some really shitty stout. There was a lot of head, and the nose did not smell anything. Like what I remeber having. I didn't drink it and I adviced him to do the same.

kerry4porters likes this.
  12. silverking

silverking Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2012 Florida

I've had upsidedown labels before, but I never bother to look at the cap. The cap is merely a barrier betwixt me and my beer.

MUTINY and TurkeyFeathers like this.
  13. nicholas2121

nicholas2121 Poo-Bah (1,957) Sep 29, 2008 Ohio
    Society

14. Droopy487

Droopy487 Aspirant (231) Dec 3, 2013 Tennessee
    Trader

I got plain, black caps on a trade for a sixer of Zombie Dust. I freaked out because FFF has their signature caps on most things, including Zombie Dust. I e-mailed FFF and got a response very quickly. They ran out of caps and was ready to bottle that day. The caps showed up as they finished bottling. The person that e-mailed me apologized for them having to resort to that and they were sorry for the confusion it has caused everyone.

MUTINY and edd562 like this.
  15. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,805) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

Not that I recall, but I have a serious lack of attention to detail when I'm knocking back a few beers:slight_smile:

StrappingYoungLad likes this.
  16. snarygare

snarygare Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2012 Kansas

2 yrs ago i bought some Founders Breakfast Stout with plain black caps.. I assumed they ran out of caps on bottling day..

17. plutoniumpete

plutoniumpete Initiate (193) Oct 21, 2008 New Jersey
    Trader

That was quite the read. Didn't get much work done that day!
    "I'm moving, so unless he wants to come here and help me load the truck, I don't have an address!"
    (or something silly like that)

18. texaswhiplash

texaswhiplash Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2012 Pennsylvania

I bought a case of Good Vibes and it had one red cap. All the rest were yellow. For some reason I saved that beer until last. A friend of mine happened to be interviewing the owner of VooDoo a few weeks later and I told him about the red cap(thinking I may have won a Golden Ticket!). The owner of VooDoo just laughed and said the red cap was probably just a leftover from the previous beer run.

tommyguz likes this.
  19. Johnnyhitch

Johnnyhitch Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2012 New York

I believe maine beer co posted a shot of a bottle they found on the line that had a three floyds cap. They said it must have been a loaner that mad it in the bag from the cap company.

20. frazbri

frazbri Crusader (774) Oct 29, 2003 Ohio

Can't say I have ever had a beer with the wrong cap. The odd upside down label, double label, half label, but most of those were a long time ago.

JohnnyGoldWeiss likes this.
  21. WillQC4Beer

WillQC4Beer Initiate (0) May 1, 2014 Vermont

In a box of caps you can sometimes have a rando cap that makes it through, you'd be surprised the complaint emails you get though when it does happen.

22. bigda83

bigda83 Initiate (153) Feb 13, 2014 New York
    Trader

I never have myself that I recall. However, a lot of bottled beers I've had just have a plain silver or gold cap and no logo on them.

23. JohnnyGoldWeiss

JohnnyGoldWeiss Initiate (49) Jun 7, 2015 Illinois

Nope - Plank Road Brewery

It is an Ice House with a Jacob Leinenkugel Summer Shandy Cap.

I know I could not believe it either. I have had plenty of beers in my day. After a few I might not be checking just cracking them open.

I still have not cracked it open yet. Nothing is floating :slight_smile: and PS it was in a 12 pack with no evidence of tampering, or box damage when I bought it.

24. RobinLee

RobinLee Zealot (552) Feb 15, 2012 Wisconsin

Ah, it happens. I remember Founders ran out of stamped caps one year so Backwoods Bastards came with plain black caps.

25. honeynutoreos

honeynutoreos Initiate (32) Jul 23, 2013 Arizona

I've actually seen a miller cap on a bottle of coors, granted I'm using the word beer very loosely

26. Alphateam

Alphateam Initiate (89) Mar 5, 2013 Michigan

Ya a couple years ago I pulled some Backwoods out of the taprooms cooler and some 4 packs had the regular Founders cap, while others had just a plain black cap. I just assumed they ran out of caps. No biggie.

27. mudbug

mudbug Defender (618) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.