Dismiss Notice
We're bringing our Belgian Beer Fest back to Boston June 22nd & 23rd!

Learn More

Events New BeerAdvocate Fest Drinkware by govino

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Todd, Jun 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,458) Aug 23, 1996 California

When we first started hosting fests in 2003, we used hard plastic cups due to venue restrictions and safety concerns with using glassware. Our original cups were great, but very expensive, not recyclable, used a lot of wasteful packing and storing them took up a ton of space.

So years ago we switched to PLA (Poly Lactic Acid; plastic made from corn) bio-compostable cups. They've been working great for us from a logistics and financial point of view, however, their lack of a clear 2oz pour line caused confusion. We did look into printing one, but it wasn't feasible due to minimum quantities, storage limitations and other restrictions with the manufacture.

And more importantly, over the years we've received a growing number of complaints about them from attendees who want something more durable, collectable and respectable.

Your feedback has been heard.

As of our Microbrew Invitational this June 3 + 4 in Boston, we'll be trying out 10oz ultra-thin, flexible, BPA-free polymer, shatterproof, reusable and recyclable drinkware from govino. It features our Microbrew Invitational logo and a clear 2oz pour line to adhere to Mass. state law, plus they look a lot like a glass, feel good in hand, have a thumb notch and don't impact the color, aroma or flavor of the beer. We went with 10oz as it leaves plenty of room for head/frothy pours and it's currently their smallest size for the type of drinkware that we were looking for.

Looking forward to seeing these in action, and hearing attendee feedback.

2. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (5,319) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Beer Trader

They look pretty nice.

3. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Defender (688) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Ha, I remember those, I think I still have one! I believe that was back when you purchased drink tickets as needed, and the pours were 4 oz.
    OtisCampbell likes this.
  4. Samlover55

Samlover55 Zealot (569) Oct 8, 2015 New York
    Beer Trader

Wish BA had a beerfest in my area so I can check out these awesome looking sampling cups!! (and enjoy great beer and company). Guess I'll have to make the trip to NE eventually.
  5. kegtapper

kegtapper Initiate (120) May 11, 2010 Connecticut

excellent! much better than years past. sat can't come fast enough!
  6. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,254) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Member Beer Trader

I recently got 2 govino pilsner style glasses for picnics/beach outings and they are really cool and work well. These are pretty sweet and a great idea!
  7. LaxDove

LaxDove Initiate (0) May 23, 2016 New Hampshire

Thank you for remaining environmentally responsible while exceeding expectations. Truly customer focused.
    jbaker67 and Dicers like this.
  8. eb1610

eb1610 Disciple (340) Jan 3, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I thought the new cups worked great last night. Definitely an improvement
    Dicers and Piels25 like this.
  9. brewandbbq

brewandbbq Poo-Bah (2,357) Apr 24, 2003 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Well done on the new cups! They look great and fit well in the hand. And wow, what a difference in the aromatics. Hop bombs at the fest were amazing. Thanks.
    GimmeAGuinness likes this.
  10. Dicers

Dicers Meyvn (1,477) Sep 2, 2012 Texas
    Premium Member Beer Trader

I think you should give a little bit of credit to the breweries that made those hop bombs too :wink:

Seriously though I loved the new glasses as well. I think it is the perfect compromise given the restrictions to actual glassware and some of the cost ineffectiveness of hard plastic. They are a great size and very much reusable by those who collect glassware and want something smaller that is safe to travel with.
  11. treznor

treznor Zealot (546) Dec 20, 2006 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

There are great glasses. I've used them for a couple years now any time real glass would be a problem. Recently picked up a couple of the pils-shaped glasses from them as well. The thumb notch seems kind of silly, but on a hot day, out by the pool, and your hands are wet (or just drinking more than you probably should've)... its been clutch to keep the liquid on the inside of the glass rather than the outside.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.