New Belgium Long Table Ale

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BlackBearForge, Sep 13, 2017.

1. BlackBearForge

BlackBearForge Zealot (586) Nov 7, 2007 Florida

This is a beer I really miss and had hoped New Belgium would make into a regularly offered yearly seasonal. It was just a great beer and paired so well with food. Here's how NB described it (mind you this was from 2015):

"Long Table Farmhouse Ale, our newest seasonal clocking in at 6.2% ABV and 20 IBUs, takes a page from the classic Belgian and French farmhouse ales we love so much. Brewed with Munich malts, a pinch of rye, and traditional Belgian yeast, the beer delivers food friendly flavors like black pepper, baked bread crust, and subtle fruit. Plus, we added a delightfully hoppy spin to the style, creating a sip that whisks a taste of the tropics into the Old World. Nelson Sauvin and Chinook hops buoy the beer’s fruit notes with threads of citrus, guava and pineapple for a sip that’s bursting with flavor."

With that in mind, I would appreciate recommendations of similar beers that might fit the bill when I'm longing for a Long Table (like I have been!).

raynmoon likes this.
  2. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (1,957) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Beer Trader

I too was a big fan of this beer. One of the best 12oz bottles of saison out there. Loved the hop profile as well. From other posts over last year or so, there was a shortage in Nelson hops so I would guess that might have had something to do with its hiatus.

Metalsnota likes this.
  3. HopsDubosc

HopsDubosc Initiate (187) Apr 24, 2015 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Allagash Hoppy Table Beer?

FBarber likes this.
  4. donspublic

donspublic Meyvn (1,194) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Beer Trader

I liked this beer also, bought several six packs of it as Saisons in 6 pack format are pretty rare around Texas at that time. I failed to review it, but remember I liked it. For the hop profile I would say go with Nelson from Funkwerks (which might not be in Florida yet) it matches the taste, but lacks the spicy finish that the rye gave t his beer. In my mind it is a far superior beer, but the Long Table is a better value.

5. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (1,839) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

I'll second that one!

6. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (1,957) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Beer Trader

I wasn't too big a fan on the Allagash Hoppy Table Beer. Too dry and also too bitter for my pallet. With that said though, it was my 2nd lowest rated Allagash beer from everything I've had from them. I'm a huge Allagash fanboy overall. Most all of their wild ale/sours are all delicious.

7. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (1,839) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois

I absolutely loved it, but 1) I liked the dryness to it and 2) I had it when it first came out and didn't think it was bitter at all - perhaps thats a palate difference or perhaps it was an age (of the beer) difference. It was on par with my average ratings of Allagash beers.

8. Squire123

Squire123 Meyvn (1,478) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi

I liked it and would like to see it back in production.

Bitterbill likes this.
  9. zid

zid Champion (800) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

I gotta disagree with the Allagash Hoppy Table Beer suggestion just based on the description of the beer in the OP. Are people saying this just because of the name?

Dweedlebug likes this.
  10. Pantalones

Pantalones Devotee (468) Nov 14, 2014 Virginia

Long Table sounded really good but unfortunately I never managed to try it while it was around. Hopefully they'll bring it back at some point.

11. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,088) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Supporter Beer Trader

I liked it too.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.