New Brew Thursday (Week 2)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Dragginballs76, Mar 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dragginballs76

Dragginballs76 Poo-Bah (2,521) Nov 13, 2015 South Carolina
    Society Trader

What's up BAs and NBT brethren my new brew today comes from an amazing brewery in Hawaii named Inu Island. I was turned on to these guys by Sean a couple years ago when he sent some crowlers for a share at DLD. Long story short they are shipping to the main land now and after a quick conversation with Keaka from the brewery i had 4 crowlers and a couple shirts headed my way.

The beer I am sharing with the wife right now is Da Eastside Punch, billed as a Hawaiian Punch inspired ale with vanilla it lives up to it's name. Pours a beautiful light pink no head to speak of, the nose is all Hawaiian Punch. The taste is like drinking fruit punch Kool Aid drinks like a 4% even though it is 6%, not sweet as expected tart and dry and the vanilla adds a creamy feel on the front end. Very happy to get to try this and this Untappd supported gave it a 4.30/5. Cheers all!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

woemad, Txex06, zekeman17 and 33 others like this.
  2. AyatollahGold

AyatollahGold Meyvn (1,352) Nov 28, 2016 Indiana
    Trader

I chugged a crowler from INU Island ales in a pair of sloppy panties one time, it was good stuff.

Txex06, zekeman17, azuelke and 21 others like this.
  3. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (2,693) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Good evening, New Brew Thursday! I’m not usually a Thursday drinker, but until schools reopen here I very much am. The timeliness of this thread is uncanny for many of us, I suspect.

My first contribution is this lovely fruited wild ale from my neighboring state. I’ve never been to this brewery, but they are now #1 on my list once things return to normal.

[​IMG]

4.5/5

Peach and blueberry sounds a bit strange together, but it comes together perfectly. The blueberry is more subtle in the taste than in the appearance, and takes a backseat to give the bright peach flesh some breathing space. Oak, grape, vinegar, musty bookshelves, rotted fruit, and just the slightest sprinkle of brown sugar bring it all together. A graceful beverage, full of energy, yet somehow still establishing a balance.

[​IMG]

woemad, Txex06, zekeman17 and 32 others like this.
  4. EMH73

EMH73 Poo-Bah (2,193) Sep 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

Thanks @Dragginballs76 for getting us started again this week. My first new beer comes to me from @jhavs Eagle Park's Wavelength, canned 2/19/20.
    4.26/5 rDev -3.2%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a hazy yellow with an orange tint, a thin off white head that dissipated quickly and left minimal spotty lacing. Smells of tropical fruit, a bit of weed and dank. Tastes completely different than the smell suggests. Grapefruit and grapefruit rind up front, followed by lemon, cantaloupe, papaya, under ripe pineapple, a bit of wheat and yeast. Full bodied, soft carbonation, dry and moderately bitter finish. Cheers all!
    [​IMG]

Txex06, zekeman17, larryi86 and 24 others like this.
  5. AyatollahGold

Trader

[​IMG]

I started my NBT off with a ginger glazed cannoli inspired beer from Lone Pine (w/ a collab from Holy Donut) sent to me from @HeartofMiami

Nice, roasty base w/ touches of accenting sweet layers that never get out of hand. Enjoyable balance. Thanks Jared!

& cheers all!

#5 AyatollahGold, Mar 26, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    Txex06, zekeman17, larryi86 and 25 others like this.
  6. Dragginballs76

Society Trader

I still have a few pairs of panties if you are running low??

7. Vidblain

Vidblain Meyvn (1,134) Feb 17, 2017 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Howdy, NBT!

Been doing my best this week to support my locals - Falling Knife is newer to the scene and I want to see them evolve and improve for a number of reasons. Today, I'm going to review one of their crowlers that was initially bottle-only - these things have evolved and changed as the pandemic has progressed and I absolutely congratulate their business-savvy in crowlering this excellent beer. Get yourself one if you can - they're even delivering now (just don't be an asshole like me, out walking with your dog and having to book it home when your delivery shows up!).

Anyway! Here we go - Shaky Hands:

[​IMG]

I find myself favorably reminded of Forager's Pudding Goggles - Shaky Hands very much makes me think of the vanilla, pudding, and light cinnamon in that other great Minnesota beer. The taste and mouthfeel are remarkably similar, even down to the nose. I'm quite happy with this baby - adjunct bomb, as advertised. Nice thick body from an undoubtedly long boil, good head, nice lacing.

Falling Knife has a bright future. I sincerely hope that they survive this economic downturn - I'll definitely be doing my part to help them out.

On that note: guys, support your locals. The coming months will be make or break for a whole lot of breweries - spend your money in a conscientious, intelligent, considered way and try to keep your local market alive.

Getting a little stir-crazy lately, being quarantined and working from home. A few artists and playlists are keeping it bearable. Been watching a lot of Locke & Key and playing a lot of Ori and the Will of the Wisps. Cheers, dudes.

#7 Vidblain, Mar 26, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    Txex06, zekeman17, larryi86 and 24 others like this.
  8. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,891) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

Enjoy!

9. EMH73

Society Trader

I did Jon, thanks again.

10. CanConPhilly

Society Trader

Typical Chris :rolling_eyes:

My feelings exactly. My 3 favorite locals are all micro. Without support all 3 will go under. At least 2 of them are crowlering their kegs to survive...the other has no crowler or canning line (and are prohibited from growlering in PA I think), so I don’t know how they plan to survive.:no_mouth:

11. AyatollahGold

Trader

& next, is my first beer from Lost Abbey. Sent to me by @Snrubnivek

[​IMG]

Very nicely done, traditional wild ale. Slight musty funk, greatly balanced tartness. Really enjoyable. Thanks Kevin!

Txex06, zekeman17, larryi86 and 23 others like this.
  12. Dragginballs76

Society Trader

Next up is another sour from Inu Island this time it's their Island Punch with strawberry and mango. Pours thick dull yellow nose is all mango the strawberry comes out pretty well in the taste balance with the mango. 4.2/5

[​IMG]

zekeman17, larryi86, azuelke and 21 others like this.
  13. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (2,933) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Aslin No Bake

I know we’re supposed to post the same new beer three Thursday’s in a row in this thread, but I just can’t do it. Hope this isn’t deleted.

My current NBT comes from a generous noob named @beatjunkee. It’s loaded with roasty peanut butter and coconut, and at 16.5%, the alcohol does hit you. :beers:

Txex06, larryi86, azuelke and 20 others like this.
  14. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,230) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Good evening BA, and Happy NBT!

My first beer today comes from @CanConPhilly in the form of Tired Hands Unique Facade:

[​IMG]

Look: Upon initial pour a huge, bone white head that fills most of the glass.

[​IMG]

The foam settles down to some sporadically placed bubbles sitting on top of the beer, with a ring of foam clinging around the glass. A lot of lacing as I drink the beer. Upon close inspection, through the murky, deep gold color, a whirlwind of carbonation streams up from the bottom of the glass. A very enticing beer.

[​IMG]

Smell: The aroma is yeast driven, with a lot of fruity esters, complemented or enhanced by the apricots and peaches on which this beer was conditioned. Both fruits really shine. A lot. The fruity aroma is not too heavy and sweet. It is quite light, bright, fresh and sour smelling. This saison seems be light on funk. There is a faint must. Some hay and sour bread dough. Acidity. As it warms up the fruit ripens. As the beer really warms up an hour in there is some soft Summer farm yard funk that shines too. It also gets more floral and botanical as it warms.

Taste: On the tip of the tongue some sweeter, overripened apricot and peach. Those flavors do linger, but as the beer washes over the palate it dries out and the moderate tartness takes over. The apricot and peach stone fruit come through a lot, and it goes further with sweet orange citrus, tart lemon citrus and even a little tropical in the direction of tart pineapple. Some grapefruit pith and grittiness and the oak influence shows as the beer warms.

Feel: Medium bodied. Not the thinnest or most effervescent saison. Despite all the fruitiness that I described above, it dries out quite a bit.

Overall: Just a really pretty beer driven by the fruit and some complementary funkiness as it warms up. It is actually quite big at 9.5%, but you would never know that from the smell or the taste. Couldn’t believe the ABV when I looked it up.

Thank you, Matt! 4.3 / 5.

A beautiful beer on a beautiful Spring day.

[​IMG]

zekeman17, larryi86, azuelke and 21 others like this.
  15. CanConPhilly

Society Trader

Cheers Anthony! Glad it hit the mark for you. @larryi86 and I were both enamored with it when it released last year, too.

16. TheGent

Society Trader

Me after the last sip when the 9.5% starts to hit:

[​IMG]

Txex06, larryi86, azuelke and 17 others like this.
  17. CanConPhilly

Society Trader

New brew #2 is courtesy @thisischuck01 .
    [​IMG]

4.1/5

Beautiful pour, with gobs of sticky lacing even 10 minutes after pouring. Nose is indistinct, with faint orange, pineapple, and lactose. The taste is anything but indistinct though. A melange of spicy, floral, and citrus hops. Brings to mind an orange-gingerbread cookie, despite never having tasted such a thing. Moderately sweet middle is countered by a surprisingly bitter finish. Very little booze despite the 10%. I had feared this would be a sugar bomb, but in reality it strikes a unique balance. Thanks again Charles!

zekeman17, azuelke, jkblr and 19 others like this.
  18. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (2,933) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Me after chugging when the 16.5% starts to hit...
    [​IMG]

Txex06, larryi86, azuelke and 15 others like this.
  19. TheGent

Society Trader

[​IMG]

Txex06, larryi86, azuelke and 15 others like this.
  20. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (3,009) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

I forgot about this thread, but chose this over stuff I’ve had before - it’s like we have ESPN!

So here’s my new brew, which I am really enjoying.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4.25/5 rDev +2.4%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Really hazy orange color with loads of floaties under a bone white head that is dense and creamy. The first thing I noticed on the nose is a big blast of mango, followed by ripe oranges and pineapple.

The mango is really forward on the taste, and the oranges are vying for attention as well. There’s also a sweet malt flavor, approaching caramel. Really nice touch.

The mouthfeel is pretty full and has some bite. Stone is one of my favorite breweries, and this beer is another example of why that is so.

Txex06, larryi86, azuelke and 20 others like this.
  21. jhavs

Society Trader

Thanks @Dragginballs76 for starting this off.
    I got this NBT selection from the ever generous @Orca_Whale
    [​IMG]
    I have a like/hate relationship with lactose in IPA at the moment, but this one gets the balance right. Creamy, but not overdone. The lactose flavor and sweetness doesn’t bury the beer and lets some fruity citrus hops shine through. Body is soft and creamy, vanilla lightly lingers in the aftertaste adding an earthy and floral layer.

22. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Poo-Bah (1,686) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Society

Alementary low orbit oatmeal stout, first thursday new beer
    .. solid black
    ...light carbonation with an above average body. Has that nice creamy thick feel that I associate with oatmeal stout
    ...roasted oatmeal is way out front, with some black coffee then roasted malt and very mild dark fruit in the tail end
    ...taste is very similar to aroma, very,very mild sweetness somehow also a bit dry . Tastes like the bottom of the pot when you make oatmeal and scorch the bottom.
    ... I was really impressed by this one and glad I picked up a 4 pack[​IMG]

Txex06, larryi86, azuelke and 19 others like this.
  23. bstoos

bstoos Initiate (75) Dec 7, 2017 New York
    Trader

#NBT beer for this evening. Rodenbach Grand Cru Aged in Oak Foeders.
    [​IMG]
    Pours an amber color with a touch of red. Head is minimal. Smells sweet. Tastes sweeter than I expected with an underlying sourness and minimal hint of the barrel. Tasty.
    [​IMG]

And a song since I haven’t left the house in almost two weeks now.

Txex06, zekeman17, larryi86 and 20 others like this.
  24. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (3,137) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Hey everybody!
    Splitting this one with @mattflippin. Really nice. Rich milk chocolate flavor both on the nose and throughout the drink. The barrel compliments the flavors well without taking away from the base beer. A bit heavy as expected from a big milk stout but not too sweet. Outstanding.
    Cheers!
    [​IMG]

bl00, zekeman17, larryi86 and 18 others like this.
  25. CanConPhilly

Society Trader

New beer #3.
    [​IMG]

3.6/5

Cola-black pour with a rapidly-fading head. Nose is chocolate, nut butter, with a hint of sour cherry. Taste starts out with milk chocolate, almond, and coconut, but then the slightly sour aspect from the nose carries into the taste. Medium body. This beer appears to have been canned recently, so I assume the sourness I’m tasting is not infection, but rather the combination of the adjuncts used.

Txex06, zekeman17, larryi86 and 17 others like this.
  26. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (3,967) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Been exploring this low-calorie movement lately and liking what I've found so far. Here's the latest in my fridge:

[​IMG]

Odell's Good Behavior.

Pours a foggy, lightly-turbid pale burnt-orange with two fingers of white foam that retains well. Aroma is light, with a delicate bouquet of papaya, tangerine and lemon zest laced and interwoven between bready, wafery malts. Aroma matches the flavor in terms of strength. Flavor profile lingers a little while longer, but works together the same list of descriptors - papaya, tangerine and lemon zest with an additional of fresh grapefruit. Malts are wafery and bready, adding a little firmness to balance out the hops. Mouth feel is lightly gristy and gritty adding a little texture to the otherwise crisp and medium-thin consistency. Overall, light and refined with a little whloope of flavor. This would be at home in the heat or consuming during a day-long session of gaming with its punchy flavor and well-textured, crisp feel.

Score: 4.25 | 4 | 4.25 | 4 | 4 | BA Score: 4.12 | rDev: +7.9%

Txex06, zekeman17, larryi86 and 18 others like this.
  27. Dragginballs76

Society Trader

Last new brew today comes from The Veil Bourbon Whangdoodle. Thick rich chocolate mousse, lots of barrel the bourbon comes out very well. The booze is not hidden in this one but still well balanced. 4.3/5

[​IMG]

zekeman17, larryi86, azuelke and 18 others like this.
  28. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (4,761) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

Hello and cheers, friends! I'm not drinking much during the week, but when I can have a new beer, I do - and tonight I do, as well!

[​IMG]
    Weihenstephaner Korbinian

Damn. There's liquid bread, and then there's this beer. I know people look at imperial stouts as the thickest of the thick (and they're not wrong), but this is a wonderful throwback to when a 7.4% ABV lager could be considered "huge."

It really is huge, as well. It's sweet (in particular on the nose), but not too sweet. It's incredibly rich, more than anything else. I could legitimately see a monk fasting and relying on this beer for sustenance.

Doppelbock is a style I truly appreciate, and although I went into this one expecting it to be overrated due to Weihenstephaner's sterling reputation, I found the exact opposite: if anything, it's underrated! Unbelievably smooth and delicious.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/252/779/?ba=Roguer#review
    4.29 / +1.9%

Cheers, Thursday Brew Crew! :grinning:

larryi86, azuelke, jkblr and 17 others like this.
  29. AyatollahGold

Trader

Another one from @Snrubnivek
    Now With Guava!

[​IMG]

Keeps it traditional, once again, with a touch of guava now. They do really well with integrating everything in these. Thanks Kevin!

zekeman17, larryi86, azuelke and 19 others like this.
  30. jhavs

Society Trader

Another new one for me and another milkshake IPA. This one from our hero @azuelke
    [​IMG]
    Huge burst of creamy and sweet vanilla is the first thing that jumps out of the can and slaps my taste buds.
    Fresh and tart berry comes out becoming more pronounced as the brew warms. As with my first NBT choice the lactose doesn’t get out of hand, but adds a thick creamy base for the rich flavors to sit on top of.
    Thanks Adam!

zekeman17, larryi86, azuelke and 19 others like this.
  31. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (5,431) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

White Elm Prost! German Style Festbier, 6% ABV. Pours slightly hazy yellow with a two-finger white head tat left light lacing. Nose is yeast/bread and fruit. Taste is bread, clove, banana, almost no bitterness. Tastes like a hefeweizen to me. Excellent mouthfeel, overall outstanding for a hefeweizen.

4.25/5 rDev +9.8%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

They call it a festbier which is usually assumed to be a Märzen/Oktoberfest, but this is clearly a hefeweizen. Not quite as good as fresh Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier, but close.

[​IMG]

bl00, larryi86, azuelke and 18 others like this.
  32. jhavs

Society Trader

I thoroughly enjoyed your video choice Dayton.
    I’m gonna check that dude out.

bl00, azuelke, strohme2 and 11 others like this.
  33. Jimmy_Kneecaps

Jimmy_Kneecaps Aspirant (251) Sep 19, 2017 Tennessee
    Trader

he sent me that one the other day. Thoroughly enjoyed the whistling and yodeling. And the guitar picking wasn’t bad either!

bl00, azuelke, strohme2 and 10 others like this.
  34. bstoos

bstoos Initiate (75) Dec 7, 2017 New York
    Trader

I had the Apple brandy barrel version of this beer recently. It was real good. I have another in my cellar but can’t remember if it’s the bourbon or rum bottle. Either way your review makes me want to get at it sooner than later.

bl00, azuelke, strohme2 and 10 others like this.
  35. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (8,721) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

Hi Everyone!

Long time BA, first time participating in New Brew Thursday...

Jon Brut from Wilmington Brewing Company in Wilmington, NC (American Brut IPA).

[​IMG]

3.77/5 rDev +0.5%
    look: 4.0 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a crystal clear medium yellow in color with moderate to heavy amounts of fine active visible rising quickly from the bottom of the glass and faint pale golden yellow colored highlights. The beer has a two finger tall fizzy sudsy foamy bright white head that quickly reduces to a small patch of thin film surrounded by a large patch of very thin film covering the remainder of the surface of the beer and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light aromas of biscuit + bready + wheat malts with minimal amounts of sweetness underneath just shy of moderate aromas of tropical/mango + citrus/grapefruit + herbal hops.

T: Upfront there are light flavors of biscuit + bready + wheat malts with minimal amounts of sweetness. That is followed by very light flavors of yeast. Finally there are light to moderate flavors of tropical/mango + citrus/grapefruit + herbal hops which impart a minimal amount of bitterness which fades away pretty quickly.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Crisp with a moderate amount of dryness in the finish.

O: Easy to drink with well hidden alcohol and a crisp + dry mouthfeel. Enjoyable but I finish the fruit flavors from the hops were a little more prominent - this one is a little lacking in aroma + flavor overall... a touch too subtle for me.

36. EMH73

Society Trader

Second beer for NBT comes from @Nichols33 Single Shot from Tree House. Thanks Jeff.
    4.37/5 rDev -0.2%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours black with a one inch tan head that settles to a ring fairly quickly and leaves spotty lacing. Smells of dark roast coffee, chocolate, a hint of vanilla and caramel. Tastes of cold brewed coffee, dark chocolate, vanilla, caramel, lactose sweetness and a hint of nuttiness. Full bodied, light carbonation, creamy mouth feel.
    [​IMG]
    Cheers All!

37. Orca_Whale

Orca_Whale Initiate (87) Sep 3, 2014 Iowa
    Trader

Thanks for kicking this off @Dragginballs76! My new beer for this week is a style that’s under appreciated and difficult to do well. You can’t hide behind hops and adjuncts with a Pilsner. Qualify from Suarez Brewing compliments of @akatz821. This reminds me of Germany. Suarez does such a great job with this style of beer. Thanks for the opportunity Azi!

[​IMG]

38. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (2,304) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Society Trader

My new beer tonight is Jacobite Ale from Traquair House. I love Scotch ales, so I'm excited for this one. Pours a nice dark brown with quickly dissipating head. Nose is coriander, wood, maple, toffee, dirt, and malts. Taste is really interesting. Black licorice, toffee, figs, raisins, and earth. Some wheat on the aftertaste, along with some coffee grounds. This is super complex. Not overly sweet and not really bitter. Nicely balanced with a moderately thick mouthfeel.

[​IMG]

39. AyatollahGold

Trader

One more for me tonight.

PAA-Screenshot
    [​IMG]
    sent to me by @TheGent , knowing my love for PAA!

This is really enjoyable for me. The hazelnut is way more balanced than I expected it to be, but still present. Instead, it’s a nice meld of creaminess, roastiness and chocolately tones with a strong backbone of hazelnut that can hold its own throughout the entirety.

this doesn’t ever cross into pastry land territory, as well as not crossing into the straight up, full blast coffee stout land either. The coffee does good at cutting the sweetness & the sweetness does good at cutting the coffee.

Very enjoyable & love the integration of layers.

thanks Anthony & cheers all!

40. Oconomowocian

Oconomowocian Initiate (137) Mar 25, 2018 Wisconsin
    Trader

Funny I should follow Orca cause this beer was given to me 2 weeks ago when I met Bill and Ian @ECOBOOSTINST at Barn Town 2 weeks ago, It seems like forever ago, little did we know that watching ISU lose in the Big 12 tourney would be one of the last college basketball games of the year...
    Anyway here we go with Barntown raspberry drive in:
    [​IMG]
    I was wondering if allergies were causing me to get very little aroma from this, but after a sip it really hit. Smooth body with just a great finish which hit sweet first, then razz, then a hop bite. One of the better finishes to a beer I have had in a while. Thanks Ian, this was great. 4/5

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.