New Choice for adding beers

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by mngermanshepherd, Sep 8, 2019.

1. mngermanshepherd

mngermanshepherd Disciple (399) Jun 4, 2018 Minnesota

I am seeing a new trend where breweries are making certain beers "taproom only".

Can that be made as a choice for selection when adding a new beer?

Junior and Harrison8 like this.
  2. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (8,339) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

That is not a new trend (at least not locally for me) but might be new to your area.

There is nothing in the adding of a beer that indicates whether or not is it distributed or what formats it is available in today.

Most of the taproom only beers that I see are 'one-off' beers so I generally use that for availability unless I know it will be made again (then it is usually rotating).

3. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (2,698) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Is it possible that the availability field could be made optional / "if known" like the ABV field?

I rarely know if the beer I'm adding is a one-off, rotating or seasonal. (I'm not even sure if the brewers always know these days with the infinite variety of IPAs and uncertain hop availability.) Unless I know for certain, I usually end up putting "rotating" by default.

TBH, I don't think I've ever looked at beers on this site via their availability. Brewery, style, ABV, state, added on dates -- yes. But not availability.

Just a suggestion.

4. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (3,608) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

With this market, I'm not sure many breweries know if a new release will be returning. Hop prices are volatile and consumers are fickle. Makes predicting a beer's commercial success pretty difficult, especially for the breweries without an analytical/research approach.

thebeers likes this.
  5. dbrauneis

Moderator Society Trader

I would suggest choosing “One-off” and submitting an update if it gets made again. That way if it does not get made again, it will be auto-retired.

drtth, thebeers and Junior like this.
  6. Amendm

Amendm Zealot (587) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

It would be very helpful if "Taproom only' could be made a selection under availability on the second page of the Add a Beer tool.

This is important info. for anyone expecting to purchase beer-to-go from a newer brewery.

7. dbrauneis

Moderator Society Trader

I have to say I disagree - that is not the availability of the beer.

At best that would be the format for the beer (Brewery-Only, Draft, Can, Bottle, Bomber, etc). There are lots of beers that are available draft only but are available outside of the taproom. I feel like this would be very challenging to keep up to date with some many breweries releasing so many new beers - often where they start out as brewery only and then go out in distribution later.

8. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,344) Sep 24, 2007 Kyrgyzstan
    Trader

It used to be a thing, listed as (IIRC) "Serving Style", where you could, when you reviewed/added a beer choose from several options: Draft, Nitro, Cask, Can, Bottle, Growler, etc. It was done away with, for reasons long forgotten by me, but, honestly, I don't miss it.

In this age of anything more than a few dozen characters falling into " TL;DR" land, it just seems most users would find it an annoyance, at best. Shrug.

alucard6679 and thebeers like this.
  9. Amendm

Amendm Zealot (587) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

Here in Rhode Island some breweries can't sell packaged beer (could be town/city ordinances, blue laws?).
    It would be helpful if breweries that only serve their beer on site in the taproom be identified as such.
    I realize it's my job to research first.

10. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,492) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I think there are some members here who add beers from info on a brewery's website, so those entries are possibly made with no info about whether a beer is distributed, bottled, etc.

Amendm likes this.