New England Brewing Co lookout thread

Discussion in 'New England' started by DrWangerBanger, Oct 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smutty33

smutty33 Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut

Oh yeah!

Bringing the heat w/ that tap list!

Cheers Larry

2. woosterbill

woosterbill Apr 6, 2009 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

They got about 500 labels in the first printing, and went ahead and put those on when they had time. They didn't want to sell only part of the batch, sell out, and have people miss out only to have more go on sale a week later. Once the printer gets back from vacation and gets them the other 900 labels, it'll be good to go.

3. DrWangerBanger

DrWangerBanger Sep 9, 2010 Connecticut

Hmm, I'm not sure I'm very crazy about that price:volume ratio...

4. smutty33

Ok,my bad Will.So they aren't all labeled yet.Since you triggered my memory now, I do remember him saying something about what you said.He brought me over to a pallet of cases and grabbed a bottle to show me like a proud dad w/ his 1st child...lol.Guess I got just a lil' too happy.

Cheers

woosterbill likes this.
  5. woosterbill

Beer Trader

It's actually a 375ml bottle, so it's not as bad as you thought! :D

Seriously, though, it's really not terrible compared to a lot of brewery-only releases. It does seem pricey compared to BCBS, sure, but NEBCO ain't InBev.

6. RMoeNay

RMoeNay Sep 22, 2010 Connecticut

Well on another anticipation note (ba ist is exciting).... when is FBD going to be available? I'm dying for a citra hopped beer....

7. RMoeNay

RMoeNay Sep 22, 2010 Connecticut

I agree, I believe its priced around the same as Black Ops , which people seem to have no problem buying

8. cruzmissile72

cruzmissile72 Jul 26, 2012 Connecticut

I just picked up a bottle this afternoon at Coastal in Branford ($8.99 plus tax). They are keeping it in the back so I had to ask for it.

9. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Jun 7, 2005 New York

Barrel Aged Stout Trooper?

10. cruzmissile72

cruzmissile72 Jul 26, 2012 Connecticut

No, just IST. I thought that was what the OP I quoted was looking for.

11. Gmr75

Gmr75 Apr 30, 2002 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

This seems to be becoming the norm for special releases at a lot of stores. You have to ask if it's in, and they give you a smile, and say yes, and then you have to get into asking if they'd be willing to grab bottles from the back.

I don't know why, but the exchange gets tiring to me. I'd rather take my chances, go into the store, if I see it on the shelf I know how much it is, and what they have available.

I'm not keen on having to act like they are doing me a huge favor selling me something. I do enjoy talking to the beer guys at a lot of the local stores, but I often feel like I have to drag info about availability out of them sometimes.

averagjoe3 likes this.
  12. davey101

davey101 Apr 14, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Was in today. Dry hopping tomorrow and should be ready next weekish IIRC.

Also IST is hitting Hartford market very soon. Haven't got the email from Manchester Wine yet (BCBCS sold out in under three hours...damn emails!) but from what I hear most shops are only getting a case.

naloxone likes this.
  13. naloxone

naloxone Aug 7, 2010 Connecticut

It's about 2.5 cents per ml, which is in line with or cheaper than most $16-20 750 bottles of other BA beers we see. I agree, I initially felt like it was pricy too but when I did the math, I realized it is just the "single serving" sized bottle messing with my usual expectation. I never once welched at paying $20 for a 750 of something good and aged in barrels for nearly a year.

14. davey101

Beer Trader

I also saw the labels today. It just says "bourbon barrel aged imperial stout". Trooper is gone and the label is obviously different but uses the groucho getup. Anyone have any insight?

15. Onizilla

Onizilla Apr 25, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

A lot of stores (myself included) keep these kinds of things in the back to prevent people from trying to break bottle limits or generally having to answer the questions about "Why are you limiting how many of these I could buy?" Because they get tiring. Oh so tiring.

16. ICCULIS

ICCULIS Mar 16, 2011 Massachusetts

I figured I'd mention this here in this thread as you seem into NEBC - In Davis Sq today they had some really old Barleywines from NEBC - I think they were from '04 or '05. I believe the beer was called Three Judges and it was in 12oz bottles w/ red wax ... I could be off on the name. They mentioned they were properly cellar-ed and were just brought on to the floor in Mid-December as part of their new cellared Shelf.

Anyway - sorry I'm so hazy on details but I'm not into barleywines much. The label did mention it could be cellared for 20 yrs. I should have snapped a pic of the bottle as it's not listed here on BA.

17. davey101

Beer Trader

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/357/19803

18. ICCULIS

ICCULIS Mar 16, 2011 Massachusetts

^^ thanks. my searching skills on here suck. that's the one....they had 6-7 bottles on the shelf.

19. Gmr75

Gmr75 Apr 30, 2002 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I see. I guess that's a liquor store thing - as most other businesses I can think of put what products they have available out on the floor so people actually can see it's for sale (or at least have a sign saying it's available). If it's not, it's weird to assume it's in the back somewhere, and you need to find the right guy to see if you can buy some of the super secret special stuff... It feels like some sort of weird powertrip thing a lot of times. Whether folks are asking about a bottle limit, or asking if you have something over and over because it's not on the shelves - it's still a lot of questions that could get tiring.

I visted a certain big LS on the MA/CT border, and noticed a lot of holes in companies product lines. When I asked if they were out of all of these things, I was told "that's stuff you have to ask for" and they didn't put it out for everybody. Odd.

Anyway, this prob. wasn't the thread for me to express my feeling on this, sorry guys! NEBCO rules!

averagjoe3 likes this.
  20. naloxone

I don't really see how that saves the seller any customer serving time over letting a customer shop off the shelf (possibly ignoring the sign you put up about a bottle limit. You did put up a sign, right?) and potentially having to remind the occasional jerk who ignored the sign about the bottle limit.

I have no doubt it is done with the best intentions, but from a customer point of view; if you have it, put it out for me to spend my money on.

Gmr75 likes this.
  21. naloxone

Its an elderly barrel walking with a cane while wearing the groucho glasses from the Stout Trooper bottle. The previous BA was simply a picture of a barrel, so it seems to be keeping with the theme they have started and I don't really see how they would have portrayed that better graphically with any kind of helmet graphic.

22. davey101

Beer Trader

The label makes total sense to me (and I love it) its the absence of the actual word "trooper" that's confusing me. I know lots of beers do this (Kate the Great being labeled as just "Imperial Stout") but I was just a bit mystified as to why they ditched that part of the name this year.

23. marcdalke

marcdalke Mar 9, 2009 Connecticut

Anyone know what's up for growler fills this afternoon? Thx.

24. woosterbill

Beer Trader

Yesterday afternoon they had Sea Hag and Wet Willy, with Fuzzy Baby Ducks listed as "coming soon" - but that definitely won't be on until some time next week.

25. averagjoe3

averagjoe3 Jul 9, 2012 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

FBD prob late next week, early the following week.

26. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Jun 7, 2005 New York

Hey, anyone know when Fuzzy Baby Ducks will be ready?

GuisseppeFranco likes this.
  27. NJOssie

NJOssie Feb 28, 2012 New Jersey

see post right above yours... nobody knows for sure but the guesses are likely next week or soon there after

28. smutty33

And seems to be a good chance that atleast 2 more magical beers will be added to this tap list in the near future!

Hmmmm........;)

Cheers

29. sandman3479

sandman3479 Dec 8, 2006 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Yeah, for sure. Talked to the guys yesterday. The 2 "Usual" casks will be on, and a hoppy 3rd.

30. smutty33

And maybe one more.....We will just have to wait and see.......:D

Cheers

sandman3479 likes this.
  31. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Jun 19, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Looks like NEBCO just announced they're releasing BA IST tomorrow... can someone confirm? All I see is a cryptic "cat out of the bag" post on FB.

Trevdawg likes this.
  32. Trevdawg

Trevdawg Feb 9, 2012 New Hampshire

This is what i am assuming as well.

33. DogfishTail

DogfishTail Jun 30, 2011 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

I know this a big stretch, but if anyone is going and wants to grab some for me I would gladly pay/trade/give blood in return.
    I'm in Hartford but have family stuff to attend to all weekend.
    Obviously if there's a bottle limit then disregard this whole post.

34. LambAndTunaPhish

LambAndTunaPhish Nov 16, 2012 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Yep. Released today actually. $10/bottle or $100 for case of 12.

35. SpeedwayJim

Beer Trader

But they're closed now right? That's what they posted unfortunately...

36. beercules101

beercules101 Dec 3, 2012 British Indian Ocean Territory

Yup. 12-6pm

37. wittyname

wittyname Aug 4, 2012 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

wow -- my plans just changed.

38. NJOssie

NJOssie Feb 28, 2012 New Jersey

this

39. davey101

Beer Trader

Dont. Buy. It. All.

Please?

Trevdawg and Pete27lax like this.
  40. SpeedwayJim

Beer Trader

No limit seems like Bad News Bears waiting to happen.

I love NEBCO, Rob and the entire crew. But doesn't it seem like every brewery thinks they have "plenty" of something until they get sold out within the first 2 hours of opening?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe