New England Go To Beers

Discussion in 'New England' started by SHCC, Dec 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SHCC

SHCC Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2012 Massachusetts

If you went to your local beer store/bar tonight, what beer(s) would you get. Not really interested in favorite beers as much as the beers that your local store regularly carries that you regularly buy.

For example, I live in the Berkshires, and these are the beers I know I could get at my local store tonight:

1. Coffeehouse Porter - Berkshire Brewing. This is one of the easier to find, good dark beers. I tend to get this almost every month over the winter.

2. Jack D'or - Pretty Things. I might not buy this every time I am at a store, but I probably consider buying it.

3. Fat Boy Double IPA - Big Elm. Not usually a fan of the really hoppy beers, but when I just want that double IPA, Fat Boy isn't a bad choice.

4. Hoponious Union- Jack's Abby. Very nice beer and usually very easy to find.

Seasonal Beers

5. (tied) Big Brekkie - Lefty's. This is a seasonal breakfast stout. My store was out of Founders Breakfast Stout, and this was my fall-back. Not a bad choice. I seem to always have a Big Brekkie in my fridge lately. Also like Lefty's Barrel-Aged Scotch Ale, but not as easy to find.

5. (tied) Summer Beer - Harpoon. I am a Kolsch fan. Not easy to find Kolsch in the US, and Harpoon's Summer Beer isn't exactly to style (not many are), but this just seems to be a beer that I always know I can find cold and that is really nice for that hot summer day.

2. AJ_Barbieri

AJ_Barbieri Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2014 Connecticut

Sea Hag, New England Brewing Co. and Ten Fidy, Oskar Blues

3. ErrandWolfe

ErrandWolfe Initiate (0) Apr 2, 2011 Maine

Jack's Abby - Hoponius Union
    Smuttynose - Finestkind IPA

kjlcm, rocksteady726 and smutty33 like this.
  4. Pisthetaerus

Pisthetaerus Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2014 Connecticut

Sea hag
    Wachussett larry
    Just about anything by six point

5. Patbrown2

Patbrown2 Initiate (130) Nov 27, 2013 Connecticut

Hag, when I'm not trying new stuff

6. masshlx

masshlx Initiate (73) Sep 24, 2003 Massachusetts

Hoponious.
    Finestkind.
    Mayflower IPA.

7. Providence

Providence Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

Mayflower Porter

GregMysticMayor and Shaymus like this.
  8. lyoung8

lyoung8 Initiate (125) Dec 17, 2011 New York
    Trader

Sea Hag ftw. But I usually try to order new beers when I go to a bar

9. slengteng

slengteng Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2014 Massachusetts

Mass Rising

10. Joe_Grizzly

Joe_Grizzly Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2013 New Hampshire

sixpoint
    stoneface
    stone
    heady

11. MVP09

MVP09 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2012 Massachusetts

Narragansett Boh Pils
    Newburyport Green Head and Pale Ale

12. jefffalcone

jefffalcone Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2013 Massachusetts

you'll find it, but good luck finding it fresh. From the dates I see, they seem to brew huge batches every few months. Right now I can only find the batch from early october.

Horbar likes this.
  13. jefffalcone

Your local store in NH always has heady?

jamesewelch likes this.
  14. Jbrews

Jbrews Aspirant (268) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

DO NOT ADD NY TO NEW ENGLAND...EVER :wink:

15. MikeM417

MikeM417 Aspirant (268) May 28, 2014 Connecticut

16. Berman1125

Berman1125 Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2014 Connecticut

Here in ct, on the regular, it's gotta be sea hag

17. Pisthetaerus

Pisthetaerus Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2014 Connecticut

It's distributed in and widely available in New England. The OP wasn't asking about New England beers, he was asking about what's accessible in New England.

#17 Pisthetaerus, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
    lic217 likes this.
  18. AirBob

AirBob Defender (629) Jul 15, 2014 Massachusetts

If I had Pretty Things - Meadowlark and Mayflower - Porter in my frig at all times then I'd be more than content.

19. Joe_Grizzly

Joe_Grizzly Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2013 New Hampshire

Y

Key word New England store

When I buy my beer on Mondays yes they always have heady when it drops if you want to talk semantics

What's that term people use. When you're from Massachusetts?

Sometimes the resin sells out too should I delete my post. Sheriff?

20. SHCC

I think what I was really going for here, and what pretty much is happening, is to find out the good, readily available beers that people in New England drink. Local beers are great, but if we want to go outside New England for a brewery, I don't want to exclude anyone. If you can get the beer at your local beer store regularly, that's what I wanted to find out.

A few years ago, for whatever reason, I just didn't drink Mayflower. Maybe I had a beer of theirs I didn't like or had an old beer at a party. I can't remember. I had their porter at a bar. Easy to find beer, really good, but something I passed up a lot, even when I wanted a good porter. It just got me thinking about going back through the shelves of my local beer store and figuring out what beers I might have passed on before or maybe that I didn't appreciate a few years ago. I tend to ask beer store guys about the beer they drink, hoping to get a recommendation for a beer that I might not have thought about. I just wanted to expand that conversation.

Shaymus likes this.
  21. Jbrews

Jbrews Aspirant (268) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

I know, just taking a job at the NY folks! :wink:

22. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Zealot (502) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island

I typically have a mental list stepping into a store, and when it comes to the hoppy beers my top 2 are below but I'll interchange based on what is freshest.

FW Union Jack
    DFH 90 minute
    Foolproof LFU (if Boulevard distributed to RI I would mix in Tank 7 as another saison)
    OB Ten Fidy

23. slengteng

slengteng Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2014 Massachusetts

Yeah it can be tricky to get fresh. Pretty sure I saw a 10/30 date on some bottles a few weeks back but I haven't looked recently.

24. yarnbomb

yarnbomb Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2014 Vermont

It's Heady day at my favorite store, so that has to be factored in. Second Fiddle is also there. But I think you wanted to know the more average stuff, so here goes.

Sick Day IPA from Long Trail. It's great, it's cheap, it's everywhere I go.
    Alta Gracia Coffee Porter from Wolaver's. My favorite of their selection.
    Rock Art Barrel Aged Russian Imperial Stout. I'll also get Midnight Madness from time to time.
    Harpoon Czernobog. Yum.

All these are seasonals, I think. A non seasonal go to would be Switchback's various bombers.

25. DucRacer900

DucRacer900 Initiate (71) Aug 13, 2013 Massachusetts

Harpoon White IPA (in summer)
    Notch Session Pils (all year)
    Notch Left of the Dial

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  26. Shaymus

Shaymus Defender (604) May 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Premium

I agree.. Seems I was looking for the next "new" beer that i hadn't tried and would walk/scan right by some solid local offerings.. couple months back for whatever reason decided to grab a bottle of Mayflower Porter and so glad I did.. very solid beer... as a result I am taking more time scanning those "old" standbys....

27. Rosinante

Rosinante Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2014 Massachusetts

All IPA's but excellent. Meadowlark, Limbo, Resin, Finestkind, Perpetual, Enjoy By, Flower Child. Also the Risings, Hoponius and Mo.

28. abagofit

abagofit Initiate (165) Oct 31, 2014 Massachusetts

Trillium is close enough that they have been my stand by until recently. Generallly FPPA, Congress St, or Mettle (and variations) can be found in my fridge. If for whatever reason I need to grab a sixer from the gas station, I usually reach for smuttynose finestkind. If I'm going for best value, I usually pick up a 12 pack of Cisco's Indie IPA for $14

29. jefffalcone

just a question.

30. jujigatame

jujigatame Initiate (0) Apr 10, 2009 Massachusetts

Agreed 100% on this pick. Just bought a bottle today since I hadn't had any in a while. For $4.50-5 it's damn hard to beat.

Go to choices....

~ Whatever's the current entry in the Brewmaster Mike series from Otter Creek. Drank a lot of them this year. Kind Ryed and Citra Mantra were great.
    ~ Hoponius Union but I'll go for most anything from JA.
    ~ Limbo
    ~ Weihenstephaner (most places have the Hefe)
    ~ Allagash White
    ~ The Troegs Hop Cycle seasonals have all been really solid, wouldn't hesitate to go back to any of them.
    ~ Mayflower Porter

versusthesiren likes this.
  31. Berman1125

Berman1125 Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2014 Connecticut

Flower child is pretty tasty

nolanz14 likes this.
  32. thatbentleyguy

thatbentleyguy Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2012 Massachusetts

Slumbrew Flagraiser IPA, Happy Sol, or Porter Square Porter
    Long Trail Double Bag
    BBC Coffeehouse Porter or River Ale, or a growler of Drayman's Porter
    Lefty's Big Brekkie
    Newburyport Greenhead IPA
    JA Hoponious or Smoke & Dagger
    Clown Shoes now has 4-packs and I keep not picking any up then wonder later why I didn't.
    I'd buy Big Elm with some regularity if it showed up east of the Berkshires.

33. MacCherry

MacCherry Initiate (118) Oct 19, 2012 Massachusetts

Smuttynose Shoals Pale Ale
    Jack's Abbey Jabby Brau
    Long Trail Ale

34. MacCherry

MacCherry Initiate (118) Oct 19, 2012 Massachusetts

And always available but not New England beers:
    Rogue Dead Guy
    Left Hand Milk Stout or Sawtooth Nitro
    Shiner Bock (sorry, I worked in TX for a while and just can't shake it. )

35. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk Disciple (396) Jun 5, 2014 Massachusetts

Always available and made in New England, Long Trail Limbo. Available but made elsewhere, Little Sumpin' Sumpin'.

36. SHCC

I really haven't had much Long Trail recently, but they are another one of those breweries that I didn't mind drink their stuff, just haven't had it too much in the last couple of years.

Great lists.

Not exactly on subject, but if you are in the Berkshires, a road trip out to Sheffield and Big Elm on a Saturday or Sunday isn't a bad idea. Good beer, nice drive, some fun things to do out that way. Domaney's in Great Barrington is a nice beer store that you have to drive by if you are coming from the turnpike. I've found some really good beers there, but they also do a very good job of staying stocked with the local beers. You can also stop at Berkshire Mountain Distillers in Sheffield on your way to Big Elm or after a visit.

Berkshire Mountain Distillers did a project where they put their bourbon in the barrels used by different breweries. They shipped the cask finished bourbons off to the home market of the breweries but kept some of each type at the distillery. Sam Adams Utopia bourbon is the only one sold up here at liquor stores, but they also made cask finished bourbon with barrels from places like Cigar City and Founders using styles from stouts to Belgian quads to IPAs. Very interesting project. I liked the bourbon in Utopia barrels, but I was a big fan of the bourbon in the Founder's KBS barrels and the double IPA barrels (Big Sky, maybe?). I thought the hops really accented some of the bourbon flavor with the double IPA and the KBS bourbon was the one where I could most easily taste the original beer. I think I need to run out to Big Elm and Berkshire Mountain Distillers this weekend to pick up Christmas gifts, and I just thought I would mention the cask finished bourbon for anyone out in the area. Kind of unique thing, doesn't even seem like people out here know that you can get the out of market ones in Sheffield.

37. nolanz14

nolanz14 Aspirant (253) Aug 31, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

For me:

Hoponius Union
    Mass Rising
    Flower Child
    Be Hoppy (when available)
    Narragansett Autocrat Stout
    Long Trail Limbo
    Lagunitas Sucks

38. ScottieD

ScottieD Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2011 Connecticut

NEBCO Sea Hag or Gandhi-Bot
    Jack's Abby Hoponius Union or Mass Rising
    Ithaca Flower Power

39. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (340) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

Pretty Things - most anything they've got out at any given time; I've always got some of their beer in the fridge and most recently it's tended to be Bocky Bier, Meadowlark IPA, Cutie Pie DIPA, and St Botolph's Town brown ale (plus the Jack D'Or I drank the other night). I read that they're working on a batch of Lovely Saint Winefried dark lager, which I thought they were going to pass over this year, so I'm stoked about that.
    Notch - Left of the Dial and Session Pils, plus the seasonal Cerne Pivo if I ever come across any bottles. Maybe it's draft-only this year?
    Jack's Abby - Lashes Lager, Hoponius Union, and the humble and lovable Jabby Brau. I was also pleased with this year's Kiwi Rising, but that's all gone now so far as I can see.
    Mayflower - Porter, of course, but also their IPA (which has apparently undergone a recipe adjustment, as it's different and lower in abv than before, but still nice) and their seasonal Oatmeal Winter Stout.

Among non-locals, Lagunitas Brown Shugga (when in season, like now); Jever Pilsener; Anchor Liberty/Porter/Steam; and Sierra Nevada Stout and Torpedo and, yes, Celebration have all made multiple recent appearances in my fridge.

40. GregMysticMayor

GregMysticMayor Initiate (0) Dec 8, 2014 Connecticut

Foolproof Raincloud and La Ferme Urbaine, Mayflower Porter, Allagash Black.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.