New England IPA

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by palma, Apr 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. palma

palma Defender (646) Dec 14, 2003 New York
    Trader

Do you think the brewers association is going to add a new style for these new age IPAs? I think the time has come to give these beers which come almost exclusively from new england their own spot. These cloudy, highly perishable IPAs with that soft mouthfeel and tropical fruit flavor deserve their own style IMO. thoughts?

Dan_K, Rosinante and bakkerman1 like this.
  2. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

You want yet another style? Uh-uh.

3. sefus12

sefus12 Aspirant (212) Sep 7, 2006 Virginia

Because no other place in the country makes perishable IPAs w/tropical fruit flavors?

4. palma

Trader

yes

hopnado and PatrickCT like this.
  5. PSU_Mike

PSU_Mike Champion (839) Sep 6, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

New England Style IPA
    Old School East Coast IPA
    West Coast IPA
    Midwestern IPA

Where does it end? Keep it simple. EIPA, AIPA, DIPA and be done with it.

6. palma

Trader

uhh who said that?

7. Todd

Todd Founder (5,893) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

No, because the IPAs you speak of are not unique to New England and one could argue that the New England IPA has been around for decades and has nothing to do with this current IPA fad.

8. zid

zid Meyvn (1,356) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I associate Ringwood IPAs with New England, so there would be some confusion.

9. palma

Trader

good early point, though I would not call this a fad anymore. Its more than that now.

hopnado, MrDave and PatrickCT like this.
  10. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

And you're getting plenty of encouragement I see.

RobNewton, Westyn and Rosinante like this.
  11. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (364) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

Can you show that this would-be style variation is specific to New England rather than a development occurring in various parts of the country?

breadwinner likes this.
  12. palma

Trader

My point is that it's predominantly occuring in new england, and I doubt anyone would deny that. I never said it is only occuring in NE.

Rosinante likes this.
  13. Todd

It's very much still in the fad stage, as it hasn't caught on / become an acceptable norm yet. That'll need to happen before any credible source considers it to be a style. And here's to hoping that never happens.

14. GreesyFizeek

GreesyFizeek Poo-Bah (7,211) Mar 6, 2013 New York
    Trader

Do you hope it doesn't happen because you don't want another style, or because you don't like this cloudy sort of IPA?

VelvetExtract likes this.
  15. WillemHC

WillemHC Initiate (134) Jun 21, 2013 Utah

There is absolutely nothing unique about anything New England brewers are doing with hops.
    I make four points:
    1.) Raw materials - All of the hops used in IPAs made in the northeast are from farms thousands of miles away. They are either pacific northwest hops (example: everything in heady) and occasionally NZ hops. So no raw materials used should make the NE beers unique AT ALL.
    2.) Flavor - This has a lot to do with raw materials. In any case there are equally as many, if not more breweries making "perishable" hoppy beers with citrus and fruit hoppy emphasis in the west.
    3.) History - NE didn't do anything first. Breweries across the country have taken advantage of new hop varietals as they have come out.
    4.) What you have access to - If you live in the East you might have to realize that you think more breweries are making these IPAs than they are in the West, but thats because you have no idea whats happening out west. Cellarmaker, SARA, Henhouse, Boneyard, Faction, Alpine, Altamont, El Segundo, Drakes, Knee Deep, Magnolia, Port, Saint Archer, Kern River, and many more are making fruity hop bombs rarely discussed on this site. Especially compared to breweries like Tree House, you just don't hear that these west coast magicians are cooking up amazing fruity hops bombs (also often not fine filtered either).

So in conclusion, there is no reason that the northeast should have a style IPA because they are doing nothing special with flavor or materials, they didn't do anything first, and they don't have more breweries doing anything unique either.

16. Todd

Both (and the fad has been leaning towards turbid mud, not hazy/cloudy), plus other reasons stated in this thread.

17. Rosinante

Rosinante Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2014 Massachusetts

Tough crowd

GuitarIPA, Johnct, rjd722 and 4 others like this.
  18. palma

Trader

"There is absolutely nothing unique about anything New England brewers are doing with hops." - I almost laughed when I read this, but fine let me comment on your points 1-4. 1 - this doesn’t matter. 2 - so what if there are some other breweries outside of NE making similar tasting beers. 3 - i see your point, but who said NE needs to be the absolute first, and you can never prove that anyway. 4 - this is your only potential valid point, I cant argue this bc I haven’t had most of these breweries you mention. I have had knee deep and uhh this is still west coast style, I don’t care how many ipas they are putting out and yes they are excellent, but none of them are even close to the look taste smell and feel of the IPAs coming out of mass, VT, and maine.

19. DoctorChugButterman

DoctorChugButterman Initiate (0) Jun 28, 2014 New Hampshire

We did America first!

20. WillemHC

What a solid argument. So my other three points aren't valid "just cuz" you say so? How have styles historically emerged? Because they did something new.. If IPA's in the NE aren't using new materials and aren't making new flavors, than how do they warrant their own style category? You should address my points with more than your opinion to be taken seriously. And OK so Knee Deep is slightly less hazy.. Go drink a Cellarmaker alone and I promise (promise!) you that you will no longer feel that the east coast is making something unique.

jpuetz, FarmerTed, unhyped and 5 others like this.
  21. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,149) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware

Jamestown , Virginia might argue.

And if you go away from the original 13 colonies.....St Augustine , Florida holds the crown.

FarmerTed, eppCOS, hopnado and 5 others like this.
  22. meb3476

meb3476 Aspirant (208) Apr 1, 2013 Massachusetts

Good lord! I have a headache now...

23. johnjohnbeer

johnjohnbeer Initiate (159) Oct 27, 2012 Kentucky

GIVE ME MORE OF THAT TURBID MUD!!!!

24. DoctorChugButterman

Good points, however if we're talking about the beginning of the American Revolution, the birth of the nation, it has to go to The Battles Of Lexington And Concord, April 19, 1775.

Masters likes this.
  25. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,049) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Trader

I can see it now: random brewery opens up in New England making subpar IPAs and traders start posting FT New England IPAs ISO White Walez. What a joke.

26. TheeWalrusHunter

TheeWalrusHunter Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2013 Oregon

Anyone who thinks the American Revolution began on a certain date and was not an accumulation of events has no business declaring an opinion on the existence of Vermont IPAs.

#26 TheeWalrusHunter, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  27. Relik

Relik Initiate (116) Apr 20, 2011 Nova Scotia (Canada)

im pretty sure "American IPA" covers most of whats going on style wise. Even this "east coast style" &"west coast style" is a bit too far for me. No need to split an already fine hair even finer with "NE style" or "Vermont style".

28. TheeWalrusHunter

TheeWalrusHunter Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2013 Oregon

Let me guess how this plays out.

People from mid-Atlantic / New England declare there is something special about New England IPAs. People from the west coast declare that they have no idea what they are talking about.

I think I nailed it.

29. zid

zid Meyvn (1,356) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I'd somewhat disagree (at least in the American landscape). See my post below. Having said that, I'm in no way pushing for it as its own style. :slight_smile:

#29 zid, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  30. Dil_thebeerdrinking_do

Dil_thebeerdrinking_do Disciple (303) Jan 21, 2014 Georgia
    Trader

31. WillemHC

You can't guess how it plays out after it already played out :wink:

Strangestbrewer and Gemini6 like this.
  32. marquis

marquis Crusader (792) Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

Too many "styles" already. IPA itself is no more than a substyle of Pale Ale so we are to have substyles of substyles?

33. palma

Trader

"If IPA's in the NE aren't using new materials and aren't making new flavors, than how do they warrant their own style category?" - Well I guess this is the crux of the matter then isn’t it? I believe NE is making new flavors, a new beer. You dont. But after this discussion with you, Im going to seek out those breweries you mention and re-decide for myself! you dont win yet! lets put this argument on hold! anyone for a trade of for bissell/otherhalf for some Cellarmaker? to the trading forum!

34. DoctorChugButterman

Obviously there were events leading up to the revolution but that was the first major military conflict, no? Either way, I was originally just making a joke and I don't want to clutter up this thread with a debate on American history.
    On topic now... No. There should definitely not be a NE IPA category. As good as the IPA's and DIPA's coming from places in NE, the style is not exclusive to our area.

35. montman

montman Disciple (395) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

You left out a very educational history discussion.

36. WillemHC

I appreciate your effort. However we also haven't decided as a community that this decision now lies entirely on your judgement :wink:

palma likes this.
  37. Alexmc2

Alexmc2 Zealot (535) Jul 29, 2006 Massachusetts
    Society

Yeah! What about the burning of the Gaspee in June 1772?

This thread is quickly going off the rails.

38. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,494) Sep 24, 2007 Saint Martin
    Trader

Are new ingredients used? New techniques? New processes? Unique equipment? Unless there is at least 1, and preferably 2 or more, yes answers, then no, NEIPA is not worthy of being a new style.

39. palma

Trader

What, nobody here agrees with me that I should be the one to make this decision? I was planning on submitting the new style guidelines to the Brewers assoc by the end of the month…

WillemHC likes this.
  40. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (364) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

Totally off the rails. Otherwise we'd have already seen mention of the Proclamation Line established in the immediate aftermath of the Seven Years War in 1763.

Alexmc2 and DoctorChugButterman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.