1. Introducing the Respect Beer® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to add-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

New Founders Barrel Aged Series Release

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by darklord2011, Mar 1, 2019.

1. BeerseAnyone

BeerseAnyone Initiate (49) Oct 5, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

AZBeerDude72 and bl00 like this.
  2. KBS

KBS Aspirant (291) Apr 25, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

It's an "imperial gose brewed with agave, lime and sea salt and then aged in tequila barrels".

3. RobHB

RobHB Initiate (67) Aug 20, 2017 New Jersey

This might the least appealing beer I've seen Founders release. Then again, I find tequila vomitous.

On the other hand, I appreciate that Founders is trying new things.

4. Samlover55

Samlover55 Champion (877) Oct 8, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

Here is Tenemu article regarding Mas Agave.

5. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Devotee (466) Mar 19, 2012 California

I'm part of SN Alpha Hops Society. Last year, one of their beers was this beer. It was amazing and one of the top 3-5 beers that I had last year. They ended up releasing in their Trips to the Woods Series.

Obviously, if you really don't like tequilla and/or are a hop head, this beer may not be for you. While I'm sure that it will be a different from the SN version, if it's even going to be close, it's work giving it try.

6. Sinzanasti

Sinzanasti Initiate (176) Apr 3, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

Wish they would try new things for their taproom exclusives such as this BA Gose and then release things that won't turd up the shelves like BA Imperial Stout....instead they do the opposite

landrewg, RobHB and waltari like this.
  7. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,281) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

While I'm not a fan of sours, I'll try anything BA from Founders. Once.

8. DISKORD

DISKORD Aspirant (264) Feb 28, 2017 North Carolina

Another "head-scratching" barrel-aged release from Founders. :disappointed

#10 DISKORD, Mar 1, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  9. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,652) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

had one of these before, not imperial but man that was a straight up margarita, done by a local brewery in Houston. Very fine beer

10. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Meyvn (1,360) Mar 3, 2013 Ohio
    Society Trader

Exactly this . . . I didn't care for the DKML but Founder's has built up enough credibility and at the right price point that I'll at least give everything a try once.

Samlover55 and bbtkd like this.
  11. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,031) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

I could say that this is a hard pass for me...but I would be lying....

12. darklord2011

darklord2011 Initiate (149) Nov 18, 2011 Indiana
    Trader

Oops!

Try this....

NEW BEER RELEASE: BARREL-AGED SERIES #3
    Posted on March 1, 2019 by Founders Brewing Co.
    9 comments
    Hey Cadre! We’re pumped to announce the next release in the Barrel-Aged Series for 2019:

[​IMG]

Introducing Más Agave!

We love cocktails. Like, really love them. If you ask us, few are more refreshing than the tart and tangy margarita and our latest barrel-aged beer pays tribute to that perennial classic. We took an imperial gose brewed with agave, lime and sea salt and then aged it in tequila barrels for just the right amount of kick. Consider it a party in a bottle. Más Agave! ABV TBD.

The label art was largely inspired by Day of the Dead imagery, specifically the elaborate altars built to honor deceased loved ones. Marigolds play heavily in the altars as it is said that the scent attracts the spirits. Upon the altar, spirits will find their favorite things including liquor, pan de muerto (a sweet, egg cake), family photos and other offerings. The monarch butterfly is representative of the travel ancestors make to reach their loved ones during the holiday.

Más Agave will be available across our entire distribution footprint on draft, in 4-packs of 12oz bottles and 750mL bottles. It’ll start shipping in May, with availability later that month.

Más Agave is the third release in our 2019 Barrel-Aged Series, preceded by Backwoods Bastard and KBS.

This information was shared with you, our Cadre members, first. Look for more details about the beer on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram closer to the release.

13. darklord2011

darklord2011 Initiate (149) Nov 18, 2011 Indiana
    Trader

I’m curious about it. Sounds like a nice refreshing beer to be enjoyed on a hot summer day. Like drinking a marg. Assuming it’s not too crazy of a high ABV.

14. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (87) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon

15. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,121) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

I'm glad they're pumped about this new offering. I'm largely unmoved myself.

flaskman and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  16. flaskman

flaskman Aspirant (279) Aug 3, 2015 New York

Well......It sounds totally disgusting to me. The ingredients scream "sweet mess".

waltari and RobHB like this.
  17. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,652) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

no actually if it is similar to the one I have had, sweetness doesn't come much into play. It is tart salty and has a good kick of tequila on the front and finish. In my mind, the only beer that should be put in a tequila barrel

darklord2011 and maximum12 like this.
  18. Donco

Donco Devotee (441) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania

Exactly. And I became a huge fan of DKML after trying it a couple of times. Founders and Dogfish Head lead the way in experimenting with new and "untried" beers. Not always a hit but give them some respect for their efforts.

19. Milktoast75

Milktoast75 Devotee (417) Oct 27, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society

Would I drink a margarita that tasted like a beer?
    No.
    But the more I think about this beer, the closer I get to wanting to try an ice cold bottle on my back patio as the warm summer Sun sets.
    Wake up!
    It’s 4 frickin degrees with a wind chill of don’t ask.. I haven’t seen my patio in three months under the snow and ice.
    I’m in.
    Put me down for a 4 pack.

darklord2011 likes this.