New Glarus Brewing (2018)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by FBarber, Jan 3, 2018.

1. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,415) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

2. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,057) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Nice. I need to get my some Strawberry Rhubarb this year in April-May. I missed out on it last year and heard quite good things about it.

Nbrock24, Scott17Taylor and FBarber like this.
  3. BasterdInABasket

BasterdInABasket Initiate (197) Nov 8, 2010 Wisconsin

Not much more work making this calendar than deleting a 7 and replacing it with an 8.

grizzlycat, SeanBond and bound4er like this.
  4. FBarber

Premium Trader

Yea, I noticed it looked pretty much identical to 2017 ... I'm wondering if its not fully updated yet?

5. Coons

Coons Initiate (70) Mar 23, 2016 Illinois

weird question, but for all you illinoisans, whats the closest establishment into wisconsin where i can get the most bang for distance traversed into the barren wasteland that is wisconsin? iow what's the go-to store across the border?
    I like going to mars cheese castle cause they have a lot of niche shit, plus i see a whole new assortment of beers available that i never typically see at any local binnys, in addition to the new glarus offerings available.

6. FBarber

Premium Trader

Bang for buck? I'd hit Tenutas and Woodmans in Kenosha. They're relatively close to each other and together have a great selection of what you'd want from Wisc. distribution. (I'm assuming that as you mentioned Mars Cheese Castle, you are on the lake side of the state.)

Beer_Economicus and Coons like this.
  7. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,181) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

You'd be wise to avoid the cheese castle for packaged beer at all costs because that's what they are good at...high costs. I think their recent renovations were paid for on beer margins alone. I only half kid. Stop at Woodman's (easy off, easy on, stacks of New Glarus) and you'll laugh at the cheese castle's beer prices in comparison. Just remember they are cash/debit card only. Tenuta's is good too.

8. SeanBond

SeanBond Champion (898) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois

I hope that's the case; the Thumbprint list is solid, but not incredibly interesting, and I'd hoped for some new beers.

Vidblain and FBarber like this.
  9. grizzlycat

grizzlycat Initiate (50) Nov 14, 2014 Wisconsin

I don’t think this is the schedule, as it is literally the same exact thing as 2017. More than likely the year was updated but not the beers yet. I’m guessing we will be in for a different schedule because it’s the 25th anniversary of New Glarus Brewing.

10. grantcty

grantcty Initiate (113) Feb 17, 2008 Minnesota

11. Coons

Coons Initiate (70) Mar 23, 2016 Illinois

gotcha gotcha, yeah i have never really gone into wisconsin with the intent of picking up beer to take home, it merely happened to be wherever i was and so i opted to grab extra. I think ive seen woodmans right of that same highway so maybe ill stop there.

Jaycase likes this.
  12. Vitacca

Vitacca Defender (665) Sep 15, 2010 Wisconsin
    Premium Trader

Fun fact: Mars Cheese Castle pays bus lines to make them their "rest stop."

The NG newsletter hasn't been sent to retailers yet, I find that is when it is "official." I received it 1/13 last year. Cranbic is set to drop tomorrow though.

13. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,322) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Trader

It was great, I think I like serendipity more, but it's right up there with the other fruit beers. I'm hoping I can get some enigma on my next trip up there. I love that beer.

eppie82 likes this.
  14. jimmyfishkin

jimmyfishkin Initiate (191) Nov 17, 2008 Wisconsin

Pretty sure Fat Squirrel is on shelves now as well.

15. macgroveguy

macgroveguy Initiate (46) Jan 22, 2015 Minnesota

The Beer Schedule page has been updated with the first 3 months of 2018. Cabin Fever and Coffee Stout for seasonals, Scream and Crab-bic for Thumbprint.

16. FBarber

Premium Trader

Also, per NG's Instagram Two Women is now available in cans statewide ... Will freely admit to being quite happy about this especially for this coming summer.

17. Freshlike1980

Freshlike1980 Initiate (34) Oct 27, 2016 Illinois

Belgian Red is the Cherry version of Strawberry Rhubarb and its now in 4 packs!

18. Acschoen

Acschoen Initiate (54) Jan 22, 2015 Illinois

As in it is better in the 4 packs than bottles?

19. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Initiate (105) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

Depends if you like to drink a glass of beer at a time or an entire wine bottle's worth in one go. I support and champion any brewery that abandons large format bottles. Bombers are nice to share, but every single weeknight can't be a bottleshare and sometimes I just want a glass after dinner vs a huge bottle that never ends well on a Tuesday or Wednesday.

20. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (4,962) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

I'm still stuck on this part:
    That's an...interesting way to look at it.

21. grizzlycat

Cases of Cranbic at Steve’s (on Junction) in Madison

FBarber likes this.
  22. jimmyfishkin

Nice to see Coffee Stout make an appearance. Shouldn't Scream be moved under the Year Round Beers section already?

ebunk likes this.
  23. ChummersPGuy

ChummersPGuy Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2013 Wisconsin

Belgian Red is the Cherry version of Strawberry Rhubarb?

No. Just no.

Soneast, grizzlycat and Sabtos like this.
  24. kylenabilcy

kylenabilcy Initiate (93) Aug 10, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

Forget it Chummers; he's from Illinois.

GreenBayBA and grizzlycat like this.
  25. FBarber

Premium Trader

Although produced year round, Scream is still a thumbprint series beer and is packaged as such.

26. jimmyfishkin

Year-Round Thumbprint section then:grin:

I have a buddy who works at the brewery, and I keep letting him know how awesome it would be to get Scream in 16 oz silo cans. I'm waiting for a call from Deb and/or Dan.

A_Rad, FBarber and grizzlycat like this.
  27. grizzlycat

Cranbic 2018 is delicious. Nice lambic funk

sonoma01, LemonJelly and FBarber like this.
  28. LemonJelly

LemonJelly Initiate (35) Aug 1, 2013 Wisconsin

All this talk about Scream is making me think it's been too long...anyone know where I could pick up fresh Scream around Walworth county? I have a feeling all the stuff on the shelves around me, have been there for a while.

29. dcw6363

dcw6363 Initiate (74) Nov 11, 2009 Utah
    Trader

I never really even consider Scream anymore. It always seems to be old. Their bottle dating secret code doesn't help. I mean, I know how to decode it, but then I forget how and have to look it up, and then every time I check Scream, it's old anyway.

So I just don't bother anymore. :slight_frown:

30. jimmyfishkin

Drank a ton of it when it first came out, but it's probably been a year or so since I picked any up.

LemonJelly and GuyFawkes like this.
  31. Skins

Skins Initiate (147) Nov 10, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

Cranbic check in the mke area, or just Madison so far?

32. Freshlike1980

Excuse me while I kick back, giggle at the FIB joke and wash my Portillos down with a fresh Decorah Pseudo Sue...

33. kylenabilcy

kylenabilcy Initiate (93) Aug 10, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

Madison has Decorah Sue, is going to get a Portillo's soon, and has an Italian beef-centric food cart named FIB's. We're more alike than different, my southern friend.

Except for the driving. You guys are terrible at that. :wink:

34. jlsims04

jlsims04 Devotee (468) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

First gas station you see accross the border.

Coons and SeanBond like this.
  35. jlsims04

jlsims04 Devotee (468) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

well thats just simply not true

36. SeanBond

I kinda see where they're going, though. I definitely look at them as the "cherry one, the strawb-rhubarb one, the mixed one (Serendipity) and the raspberry one" myself.
    Do Illinois drivers have a rep for bad driving in Wisconsin? It's funny, because I get mad at both IL and WI drivers while I'm up there--the WI ones drive way too slowly in smaller towns, the IL ones always seem lost (maybe because they're looking for signs saying "New Glarus beer sold here!").

AstraXtreme and FBarber like this.
  37. Freshlike1980

Being a Packer fan FIB has more than its fair share of challenges but working in Kenosha has been a beer blessing being able to touch two state distros ( i.e. prairie & firestone)

The point I was trying to make (and SeanBond gracious elaborated on) is that if someone likes the way they did strawberry rhubarb and they like cherries they would love the Belgian Red. Obviously totally different brew processes and not the same style of beer at all and that should be a given. NG has to be one of the best in the world at the way they handle fruit.

38. SeanBond

If I worked in Kenosha I would live in Tenuta's. And my wife would probably live at the outlet mall. :grin:

(I guess it's good I work in Chicago, from a financial standpoint)

FBarber likes this.
  39. Freshlike1980

Yea until the next corridor/FR/rev/half acre release haha

40. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,181) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

This is like a reverse FIB. You're called it from people within the state. :wink: