New Glarus Brewing (2018)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by FBarber, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Wowzors

Wowzors Initiate (81) Feb 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Does New Glarus usually have a release before or after Great Taste of the Midwest?

2. Hoppity1

Hoppity1 Aspirant (215) Apr 25, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Yes there will be a R&D release, with details announced a week or so before.

Wowzors likes this.
  3. kbergen28

kbergen28 Initiate (48) Jan 19, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

Went to the brewery yesterday, had 12 oz bottles of Belgain red and Serendipity for the fruit beers. For the R&D's there was Gotlandic, Sour Porter, Pommier Sauvage, Champ Rouge, Vintage 2016 and 25th Anniversary. One was running pretty low but otherwise they were fully stocked.

Vitacca and sjstraub like this.
  4. grizzlycat

grizzlycat Initiate (56) Nov 14, 2014 Wisconsin

I stumbled upon some Wild Sour at Hy-Vee East in Madison today. Happy 4th of July!

5. Oconomowocian

Oconomowocian Initiate (117) Mar 25, 2018 Wisconsin
    Trader

Anyone see wild sour ale in MKE area yet? Any ideas on allotments?

6. Vitacca

Vitacca Devotee (406) Sep 15, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

It's open to order but Beechwoods stock is declining rapidly. Not sure if they're getting a second drop of this. Will hit Monday.

Oconomowocian likes this.
  7. GameFreac

GameFreac Disciple (320) Apr 8, 2011 Georgia
    Trader

What is the price of a 4 pack of Serendipity at the brewery?

8. Vitacca

Trader

This doesn't help but Serendipity isn't available yet.

Oconomowocian and FBarber like this.
  9. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Initiate (115) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

I literally just came from the depot an hour ago and they had 4 packs of Serendipity. Also had Wild Sour with no limits at $12.50/4 pack. Gotlandic appears to have been restocked per the previous photo that was posted. Still plenty of the other R&Ds. Saw people leaving with waxed 750s of the fruits for previous posters who were asking about them. Was told Mistral (my biggest want!) Is gone for good. Raspberry Tart was also sold out.

Hope this helps someone and thanks to previous posters for keeping the info up to date!

Stevedore, Oconomowocian and FBarber like this.
  10. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (4,771) Nov 16, 2012 Wisconsin
    Trader

Will be bringing a first-timer to visit the brewery this afternoon. Bummer that Mistral is gone, I really enjoyed that one especially in the weather. Will be bringing a first-timer to visit the brewery this afternoon, should be fun.

mykey120 likes this.
  11. mabsolon

mabsolon Initiate (50) Mar 26, 2015 Illinois

Was there for the hard hat tour on Friday and they were bottling Strawberry Rhubarb. Our tour guide thought 2 weeks until it hits the depot but it might be sooner. Also, R&Ds are limit 4 per person which I find strange since they have more than 4 available.

Also, Mistral was still on tap at least when I was there. Not sure if it lasted through the weekend though.

12. Zaximus

Zaximus Zealot (556) Mar 14, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

I think it was four per type per person. I know I walked out yesterday with more than four total.

13. CityofWind_brew

CityofWind_brew Disciple (374) Jan 15, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Anyone know what the ballpark cost on the R&D bottles typically is?

14. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,214) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

The 25th Anniversary Ale was $15 per, limit 4 pp at release.

CityofWind_brew likes this.
  15. joe1510

joe1510 Poo-Bah (3,347) Aug 21, 2006 Illinois

They're all $15.

16. Lucular

Lucular Poo-Bah (1,879) Jun 20, 2014 Maryland
    Trader

I'm going to be in Waukesha County this weekend and my wish list includes Wild Sour Ale, Cran-bic, Stone Soup, Strawberry Rhubarb, Serendipity, Raspberry Tart, and Imperial Weizen (as well as Central Waters Peruvian Morning and Cassian Sunset).

Two questions: First, are any of those definitely not available at this point or will be really hard to find? Second, I'm planning to hit Discount Liquors and Woodmans in Waukesha and Sonoma Cellars in Oconomowoc - are there any other obvious places I am missing?

17. cl3

cl3 Disciple (329) Aug 16, 2013 Wisconsin

Total Wine, in Brookfield, is probably worth the drive.

Lucular likes this.
  18. standardpunch

standardpunch Initiate (0) Jul 3, 2014 Wisconsin

I was at Discount Milwaukee yesterday - I don't remember seeing Cranbic or Stone Soup, but I believe they should be around. Everything else should be available, except Strawberry Rhubarb.

Lucular likes this.
  19. Hoppity1

Hoppity1 Aspirant (215) Apr 25, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

You won't find Strawberry Rhubarb in any populated areas now, but if you go through some small towns off the beaten path odds are you can still find it. Stop in a little grocery store or gas station and try your luck. Has worked for me many times

20. HIGHPA

HIGHPA Initiate (136) Aug 21, 2008 Illinois
    Trader

Has anybody seen Sour 2018 outside of the brewery store? Near Milwaukee or Brookfield?

21. CurtisLoew

CurtisLoew Initiate (189) Jun 18, 2010 Wisconsin

They have a lot at the woodmans near Menomonee falls.

Also, there is a "beer finder" feature on the new Glarus website that is usually very accurate so id give that a shot.

22. standardpunch

standardpunch Initiate (0) Jul 3, 2014 Wisconsin

I picked up a 4 pack of Wild Sour 2018 at Discount Liquor in Milwaukee on Monday.

23. yepbye2

yepbye2 Disciple (339) Feb 23, 2011 Illinois
    Premium Trader

I was very excited that Wile Sour was returning. I kept two bottles from 2013. I opened one a few nights ago before heading up to WI to buy the 2018. I bought a four pack to try it before committing to buy a whole bunch more. I returned to Illinois with three bottles. It is not bad, it is just not very good. It pales in comparison to the 2013 batch.

LemonJelly likes this.
  24. bound4er

bound4er Champion (814) Jul 4, 2007 Wisconsin

Well that bites. I am going to give one a spin tonight.

25. Stevedore

Trader

Palate memory is a fickle thing but drinking a fresh bottle reminded me pretty much of what I remember the first batch tasting like fresh; my opinion obviously. I haven’t had the aged first batch recently to comment at all on that though.

26. thebigredone

thebigredone Crusader (766) Dec 19, 2011 Wisconsin
    Trader

This is what i’ve been trying to figure out - is this batch really that much worse than the original, or am I simply remembering wrong?

I do feel this batch defintitely has darker malt characteristic to it at the moment than I recall from the OG. Kinda Oud Bruin-ish right now.

27. LemonJelly

LemonJelly Initiate (35) Aug 1, 2013 Wisconsin

I was feeling the same way about this new batch. Tasted like tart prune juice... while technically still in style and didn't really have any flaws, just not my favorite. I swear the 2013 batch tasted more like RR Supplication.

28. bound4er

bound4er Champion (814) Jul 4, 2007 Wisconsin

2018 WSA is a nice tasting, well crafted beer. Will I buy more than one 4-pack? Probably not.

29. grantcty

grantcty Initiate (113) Feb 17, 2008 Minnesota

Ever since they started making the sour and fruit beers using the coolship at the Riverside, brewery, I have not been that big of a fan at all. Given that I have historically had a bad habit of buying too much of the Unplugged/Thumbprint series, I have done several verticals/side-by-sides with the old and new versions of several of these. I have preferred the 'old' pre-coolship versions every time. There's something about the new base beer that puts me off--too dry/astringent and penny tasting for my liking. The older versions were a bit sweeter and rounded that made them tastier. It's a good thing I still have a half case of the original Wild Sour to go through. I'll buy a 4-pack of the new one for sure and it'll be fun to do another side-by-side, but I have a feeling it'll be another instance of me preferring the original version.

JohnnyHopps and thebigredone like this.
  30. sherm1016

sherm1016 Aspirant (212) Aug 10, 2009 Wisconsin

I thought the new version of Wild Sour was good, better than most AWA's, certainly at it's price point.

The original iteration was better, as others have stated. That said, assuming the new version isn't pasteurized, it could evolve into something as special as the original.

W/R/T the coolship program as a whole - I agree with @grantcty that the pre-coolship wild/sours tended to be better. But I still think they are very good, better than most AWAs, and very competitively priced. And I think we are getting more than we got in the past. I feel like we've gotten Oud Bruin, Enigma, Cran-bic, and Wild Sour, all pretty recently, not to mention the R&D sours and what seems to be an increase in production of the fruit beers. I feel like the increased production outweighs the slight decline in quality, but that's just my opinion.

31. CurtisLoew

CurtisLoew Initiate (189) Jun 18, 2010 Wisconsin

Agreed. At $2.50 per bottle, I can't think of a better sour in the world at that price point and availability.

32. JFreres

JFreres Disciple (369) Dec 2, 2014 Wisconsin
    Premium Trader

Does anyone know if there is a new drop of Strawberry Rhubarb expected anytime soon or is my best bet to search some smaller mom and pop places and see if I can find any from the last drop still on the shelf?

33. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Aspirant (276) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Mom and Pop seem like a long shot by now. July was the word so just hold out hope...

34. Vitacca

Trader

It's supposed to ship to distributors this week. Will have more info either tomorrow or Friday.

Nbrock24 likes this.
  35. Ristaccia

Ristaccia Defender (657) Nov 21, 2012 Nebraska

There were still a few 4-packs at a cheese shop in Mineral Point, WI as of last Saturday.

Boldbrew likes this.
  36. Vitacca

Trader

Supposed to arrive at Beechwood today however not sure if it's shipping tomorrow or Monday. I suppose y'all will find out soon enough.

steiny58 and Nbrock24 like this.
  37. Ri0

Ri0 Poo-Bah (2,691) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

Is everyone enjoying the Oud Bruin that has a Wild Sour label on it?

[​IMG]

This is nothing like the original, but still tasty if you enjoy the Oud Bruin.

38. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (3,894) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

This comparison is making me sad. I hated Oud Bruin & loved the old Wild Sour. Guess I better get to that four pack soon.

39. AstraXtreme

AstraXtreme Initiate (117) Mar 21, 2014 Wisconsin

I figured we were due a side-by-side. While "oud bruin" maybe isn't our best hopes and dreams for a wild sour ale, the new compared to the old really isn't all the different. In fact, the new version is a punchier version of the old. Chalk that up to age though. Color is identical. Sip vs sip is strikingly similar. New is more tart, old is more well rounded. Overall, I (assume) this is a very similar recipe.

I like Cranbic better since it's a more blonde sour with fruit and more acidity. For a more traditional sour ale, Wild Sour is fantastic. It's not a sour bomb, but it's poundable and you get that earthy flavor that's reminiscent of a dark Belgian sour. Choose your poison.

40. Stevedore

Trader

Thanks for writing up the notes. I'd love to do this too but I crushed all of my old WSA within a few months of it coming out. I've already gone through half a case of this year's. Luckily I should be able to restock at least once..

ebunk likes this.