1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

New Glarus Brewing (2019)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by FBarber, Jan 1, 2019.

1. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Crusader (780) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

Considering I think balance is the hallmark of NG, I am guessing the Brut will go over much better since it's inherently a more balanced style than a fruit-infused IPA, or at least I'm hoping. I agree that the market in WI (and most places with any sort of beer scene) doesn't need any more hazies or beers of other trends.

Thanks for your input.

bigstar87, Jsimansk and Vitacca like this.
  2. Jplachy

Jplachy Disciple (326) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois

This can’t possibly be about money. First of all this style of beer is expensive to make. Second of all it’s a Thumbprint so it’s gonna be made in a finite amount and every drop will move. It’s not like this beer took up Spotted Cow tank space.

SeanBond likes this.
  3. SeanBond

SeanBond Savant (984) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois

Honestly, I won't be surprised if the beer is bad (or at least mediocre); it's definitely outside Dan's typical wheelhouse (I was curious but not entirely excited when I heard it announced), and as we've seen with even a lot of more IPA-centric breweries, it takes some work to dial in a "new" style of IPA.

On the other hand, I would much rather Dan keep taking chances with Thumbprints; he obviously does a fantastic job with his more traditional styles (fruit beers, sours, etc.), but one of my favorite parts of the Thumbprint series is how all-over the place they've been historically. Getting a new sour every month or two would be great, but every once in a while he comes out with something from left-field that you never knew you wanted (like an imperial Spotted Cow, which has never been my favorite beer).

THANAT0PSIS likes this.
  4. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Initiate (126) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

My uninformed $.02: I like that it nails the fruity juicy thing but doesn't have sludgy acid mud in the bottom of the bottle. I do wish there was more of a hoppy bite. My favorite thing about this beer is that it doesn't give me instant heartburn like haze slurry crap usually does. Good to have as an option if I'm in the mood for a juice beer and will enjoy my 4 pack but won't buy any more after that. Much more excited for that Brut IPA to drop.

jimmyfishkin likes this.
  5. AlwaysAHoot

AlwaysAHoot Initiate (29) Aug 26, 2017 Illinois

Anyone seen a release date on the Rhubarb?

6. Freshlike1980

Freshlike1980 Initiate (37) Oct 27, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

NG said mid early May.

dukeandduke likes this.