Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

New Glarus sour

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by FlandersNed, Aug 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlandersNed

FlandersNed Disciple (372) Feb 8, 2009 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Confirmed with the brewery that the New Glarus GTOM weekend release will be Peach.
    750 bottles each day Fri-Sun - 2/person. Let the hysteria begin!

2. halo3one

halo3one Crusader (773) Jun 6, 2014 Georgia
    Beer Trader

3. FlandersNed

Beer Trader

Edit to my post:
    Confirmed with the brewery that the New Glarus GTOM weekend release will be Peach.
    Enough for 750 people to get 2 bottles each day Fri-Sun - 2/person. Let the hysteria begin!

4. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Crusader (718) Jan 27, 2013 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Dang, I wish my girlfriends parents could snag me a couple of bottles. :slight_frown:

5. mychalg9

mychalg9 Champion (848) Apr 8, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

750 people each day? What was the count last year?

6. robear

robear Defender (676) May 24, 2014 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I think last year was just under 1000 bottles total. most folks who showed up before10am got their allotment.

mychalg9 likes this.
  7. FlandersNed

Beer Trader

Last year I heard it was an average of 600 bottles/day versus 1,500 per day this year (now that they have the new sour production space going). Can anyone else confirm? If so, that should reduce the panic and trade values accordingly!

8. robear

Beer Trader

Here's last year's info:
    Friday- 720
    Saturday- 360
    Sunday- 350

So just over 1400, or less than 1/3 of what they're brewing this year.

9. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,016) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Not to high-jack thread, but I have someone traveling to Milwaukee at end of Aug. told him to bring back as many bottles of NG sours/fruit beers as he can find. How much do the big bottles of their fruit/sour beers cost on average?

10. robear

Beer Trader

$8.99-9.99 depending on where you shop. Right now, Raspberry Tart, Strawberry Rhubarb, and Serendipity are around, Belgian Red is quickly becoming hard to find. Oud Bruin 4-packs are $10.99-11.99. Don't miss out on Scream IIPA if a new batch hits while your around. You could probably talk someone out of the Peach Sour Brown as well, especially if you bring something like Mexican Cake to trade.

11. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,016) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Thanks.

He's visiting family. He said there is a solid bottle shop near where hes going at this website: www.discountliquorinc.com

Seems like a pretty solid store IMO.

12. siknessinwi

siknessinwi Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2010 Wisconsin

Discount is one of the best in the area. Woodmans grocery store is another great spot, their liquor department is bigger than some grocery stores. If not the Whole Foods on Milwaukee's eastside gets a nice allocation of NG product.

13. zipeleven

zipeleven Initiate (0) May 26, 2007 Minnesota

Here’s the update on New Glarus R&D Wild Peach Limited Sour Release:

- This is the 2nd release from their Wild Fruit Cave. It is a sour brown ale spontaneous fermentation with Michigan peaches with a blend of 1, 2, and 3 year old beer. You should pick up notes of oak, leather, horse, and a hint of bourbon.

This is a limited brewery-only release, and only 20 barrels of this special beer was blended and bottled.

The beer will be incrementally released on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday of the Great Taste of the Midwest weekend (Aug. 8th-10th):

1) Each day, only 750 customers will be allowed to purchase 2 bottles each of R&D Wild Peach.
    2) Each bottle is 500mL of funky peachy deliciousness.
    3) Customers can line up early.
    --- Numbered tickets will be distributed to folks in line at ~8:30 am.
    --- People with tickets can leave (eg., to go get breakfast, etc.).
    --- Beer sales will begin at 10 am; ticket holders must be back onsite at 10 am or lose their "line spot¨ for the subsequent sales.

14. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Aspirant (202) Sep 19, 2012 Illinois

Is there a price? Or have we completely gotten past prices... ?

Alpar, beardown2489 and Durb777 like this.
  15. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Disciple (351) Mar 13, 2010 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

New Glarus has standard pricing. 6 packs $7 to $8, 4 packs $10, 750's $8 to $9, Pint bottle R&D releases $9. Only exception is 20th anniversary which I believe was $8 in pint bottles. Any price increase would likely be across the board.

Edit: This also belongs in the Great Lakes thread.

16. DrunkAl

DrunkAl Aspirant (280) Apr 22, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

They were $8. And they are not pints, they are 500ml.

17. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Aspirant (202) Sep 19, 2012 Illinois

In what industry... on what planet.... is that ever considered "standard pricing" ????

lol

18. vizzionman

vizzionman Initiate (160) Feb 20, 2014 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I called and the person I spoke to said in addition to the peach they were doing a gueze also??? No???

19. dmbforever

dmbforever Moderator (580) May 8, 2013 Wisconsin
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Are the beer sales 10:00am on each day?(just making sure from what I read above) Wife is willing to road trip on Friday. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

20. Ri0

Ri0 Poo-Bah (2,454) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I won't be able to make it this year, will be in Chicago, hope everyone gets a bottle or two that makes the drive.

21. jRocco2021

Beer Trader

I meant that NG has a price that is basically fixed for each format with the one exception. I think you knew what I meant even though I misused the term "standard pricing" thanks for pointing it out though. Hard to believe anyone could haved derived meaning from my comment without clearing that up.

BeerGreg and DarkMagneto like this.
  22. BreakMyPickle

BreakMyPickle Initiate (143) Sep 27, 2013 Indiana
    Beer Trader

So now it seems I'm in the appropriate thread. The bottles are released at the brewpub/brewery or do they have their own bottle shop?

23. pawpaw

pawpaw Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2011 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Yes.

24. Ri0

Ri0 Poo-Bah (2,454) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

line starts at the double doors.
    [​IMG]

25. WTKeene

WTKeene Defender (667) Jul 13, 2013 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

A sour BROWN with peaches? That's...unique. I'm sure it will be fantastic and permanently out of my reach too, just like VSB.

26. Kbyfield

Kbyfield Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2009 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

To help reduce pressure on staff and ensure everyone gets what they should, NG has asked WI residents to line up at the beer depot and out of state people to line up at the brew pub

27. Goku

Goku Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2014 Wisconsin

Thank you, New Glarus; thank you.

Alpar likes this.
  28. Jwstinson

Jwstinson Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2014 Ohio

I will be traveling to Madison to see family and heard this great news. I have never been to New Glarus before and see that it has a riverside and hilltop brewery. Which one do I need to go to in order to get in line for the release?

29. jRocco2021

Beer Trader

I hope people realize the parking lot at NG isn't gonna be able to handle 750 peoples worth of cars all at once.

sonoma01 likes this.
  30. robear

Beer Trader

Wisconsin license plates first. Then Iowa. Then Illinois. Then Minnesota. Problem solved.

31. jRocco2021

Beer Trader

FTFY.

Alpar, Wiscobrew and Dactrius like this.
  32. Vinithing

Vinithing Disciple (366) Feb 21, 2014 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Would is be safe to assume that Friday would be less busy since it's a workday?

33. robear

Beer Trader

If you weren't in Wisconsin, maybe. If the Packers are playing or New Glarus releases a beer it might as well be a holiday. :wink:

Seriously though, I think if you get up early, arrive sometime before 8am, you stand a pretty good shot at landing your allotment. If not, then you'll have to get there earlier Saturday or Sunday.

34. BunnyLuvr3477

BunnyLuvr3477 Initiate (0) Oct 12, 2013 Illinois

If there are 750 people there by 8 am on Friday, I don't even want to know what the road/driveway leading up to the brewery is going to look like.

sonoma01, sherm1016 and jRocco2021 like this.
  35. smurfbeer

smurfbeer Initiate (110) Jan 3, 2008 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Everyone just needs to take a deep breath and relax. This is a three day release. No need to arrive before the sun rises. As long as you arrive by 10:00 am, you're going to be ok!

sherm1016 likes this.
  36. robear

Beer Trader

Makes sense to me to get there by 8:30, based on NG's organization of the release. Get your #'s, head down to NG for a bite to eat, and be back by 10am when they call in the early numbers. Bottles will be in hand by 10:30, so 2 hours start to finish with breakfast in between. Now that sounds like a good morning.

sonoma01 and jRocco2021 like this.
  37. jRocco2021

Beer Trader

trading forums are already lit up pre trading is a bad sign. It means that much more is at stake and they will be exponentially more dickish to get what they want which isn't even wild peach in most cases. They just use it to get something else.

wspanic201 and Duff27 like this.
  38. nickMB

nickMB Disciple (310) Nov 17, 2009 Illinois

tribe called FIBS, represent, represent

39. ColonelHopslam

ColonelHopslam Disciple (335) Jan 22, 2014 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Ill be there no later than 6 all 3 days.

srs not srs.

anticipation23 likes this.
  40. aubzachsyd

aubzachsyd Disciple (385) Oct 7, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

I'm fine getting 2nd place in that race.

robear likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.