New in Kentucky

Discussion in 'South' started by Nhens0016, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Nhens0016

Nhens0016 Aspirant (246) Aug 23, 2013 Louisiana
    Trader

Hello,

So I wanted to make a new post with the intention of fleshing out whats new in the world of beer in the state of Kentucky. It will cover:

• New releases to the state
    • Local breweries beers and events
    • Beer news pertaining to Kentucky
    • New members to the state that want to know a little about the beer scene
    • Anything actually
    Just wanted to start it off by saying that I was enjoying a hell of a lot of beer from Country Boy. The Rum Barrel aged Nate's Coffee Stout was utterly fantastic and the Alpha Experiment Citra Hop edition was probably the best IPA I had from the state. The offerings have been getting a lot better as I have lived here! Cheers.

Spartan247 likes this.
  2. Jraiona

Jraiona Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2016 Kentucky

I look forward to reading the posts here. I've just recently started learning about craft beer and want to learn more about the scene here in KY.

Spartan247 likes this.
  3. Nhens0016

Trader

Well I am leaning heavily into country boys offerings lately. I think ATG is good but I think country boy takes a lot of chances. I wish they would bottle some of there other offerings or Atleast can it! Cougar bait and shotgun wedding are ok but they do a lot of great offerings!

ShyRonnie likes this.
  4. Jraiona

I'll have to give them a try.

5. tsgooch79

tsgooch79 Aspirant (264) May 6, 2014 Kentucky
    Trader

As far as new releases from KY breweries go, I know that Blue Stallion, Ethereal and Country Boy/West Sixth will all have bottle releases during Lexington Craft Beer Week (5/13-5/22).

Country Boy and West Sixth are getting things started with Country Western Vol IV. I'm not sure of the details for this years collab, but it will be some kind of barrel aged beer. Last year's Derby Pie based beer was phenomenal.

Ethereal is releasing what to my knowledge will be their first bottled beer on 5/16. It'll be an oak-aged Old Ale with Brett.

Blue Stallion looks to also release their first bottled beers with four different bourbon barrel aged beers on 5/20. From what I've seen on Lexbeerscene.com, their doing BA Doppelbock, BA Marzen, BA Equuleus (an Old Ale) and BA Belgian Showers.

It looks like all kinds of awesome things will be going on that week with events and tap takeovers.

If you haven't checked out Lexbeerscene.com yet, I highly recommend it. They've got pretty up to date tap lists for most everywhere in town and a different beer reviewed every day. It's my go-to site for local beer news.

ShyRonnie and IMFletcher like this.
  6. Nhens0016

Trader

^ that's great to hear about the different bottles. When I was at country boy yesterday, I saw there new bottle release would be a Gose. I haven't been into Goses but hope this summer to really get a feel for the style. Wish I didn't miss the nates coffee stout bottle :/. That beer is rather fantastic. On new bottles coming into the area this week, I saw some cool things from three floyds released that should make its way down here hopefully. Rhinegeist has some good things with the peach dodo and gramps BA.

I didn't know if anyone had an idea when 70K from ATG would be released? I keep seeing that it's in barrels so I hope to try at some point! Sitting down right now having a fat heads hop juju. Good beer and I like it but not a big fan. Had a sip of sunshine from Lawson's and think that's a great beer

7. tsgooch79

Trader

Against the Grain's email newsletter said 70k would be released on 5/14 along with Gnight Ryder (wine barrel aged black ale). No word on if it will be a brewery only release or if it will hit distro.

IMFletcher likes this.
  8. IMFletcher

IMFletcher Defender (610) May 2, 2014 Kentucky
    Trader

Rumor has it that a previously released CBB beer will make a return in bottles between now and LCBW. I can say no more.

tsgooch79 likes this.
  9. tsgooch79

Trader

Oh God I hope it's Double Barrel Shotgun Wedding

10. Nhens0016

Trader

Oh come on fletch, release the beans!

11. Nhens0016

Trader

Tsgooch: I thought it was draft only? If they release bottles woo!-

12. tsgooch79

Trader

This is from the email:

70K & Gnight Ryder Bottle Release

[​IMG]

Wow, wee! It’s a double feature! We’re bottling your favorite bourbon barrel aged Imperial Stout for the first time! 70K is massive in flavor and a total bang for the buck. We’re not stopping there either. We’re bottling the newest addition to our brew collection, Gnight Ryder. This red wine barrel aged Imperial Black Ale is the lone crusader. This double bottle release is set for May 14.

ShyRonnie and brian44556 like this.
  13. Nhens0016

Trader

Are there going to be tickets or anything? I need 70K in my life. Hopefully it won't break the bank either

14. tsgooch79

Trader

I'm hoping it hits distro. I probably won't be able to make it to Louisville that day.

I had a pour of it at Bo & Luke day last year and it was fantastic. I don't think they're doing tickets, as I think they'd have made it public with just over a month to go.

If it is brewery only, I hope it runs smoother than Bo & Luke. Last year was kind of a mess, at least for people who didn't reserve their bottles ahead of time.

If I hear anything else, I'll let you know

IMFletcher likes this.
  15. tsgooch79

Trader

I bet they'd be around $15 per bottle. That's about what Bo & Luke bottles gofor when they hit distro. Even at $18 or $20, I'd say it'd be worth it.

16. Sturgeon83

Sturgeon83 Aspirant (281) Mar 11, 2015 Kentucky
    Trader

I'm definitely a bigger fan of 70K than Bo and Luke. I think it's one of the best BA stouts out there.

I had reserved bottles at Bo and Luke Day and it was still a shit show, but I thought the backlash was kinda overblown. I'll definitely be there for 70K, whatever they do.

IMFletcher likes this.
  17. Nhens0016

Trader

Milk stouts that are BA are some of my favorites. The mouthfeel usually is amazing and the bourbon shines though. Looks like I'll be making my way to ATG then. Damn you!

18. IMFletcher

Trader

I know DBSW is in the pipeline, I've seen label pics, but this year is rum barreled, and despite the previously mentioned labels, I heard they might end up only having kegs.

But that's not it.

tsgooch79 likes this.
  19. uglypirate

uglypirate Initiate (62) Nov 29, 2013 Kentucky

Sam said in a Facebook group that it will be a brewery release, with a small amount to distro.

tsgooch79 likes this.
  20. Nhens0016

Trader

Well looks like I might be going to ATG then to grab a bottle or two. I am excited to see this. Also, the country boy release will be a rum barrel aged beer? Yum!

21. HopVol

HopVol Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2015 Tennessee

Hello Kentuckians, what is the closest quality bottle shop in KY to Nashville?

22. tsgooch79

Trader

Not being from the area, I'd say the Liquor Barn in Bowling Green is probably a decent bet.

23. Nhens0016

Trader

Yeah, I would look at any of the bottle shops in the places page on BA in bowling green.

24. HopVol

HopVol Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2015 Tennessee

Thanks tsgooch79, I didnt know about the LB. I'll check into that. I looked at the places page thanks, Nhens0016. Does
    Shenanigans Wine & Spirits have a good selection? I'd like to make a trip up there at some point to grab a few things that don't come to TN.

25. Jraiona

Can anyone recommend a good shop in the Louisville area?

26. MarshallBirdhouse

MarshallBirdhouse Devotee (408) Feb 19, 2013 Louisiana
    Trader

I used to work at Shenanigans in BG and the selection is always good, it's more of a mainstream liquor store than an actual bottle shop though, if you want straight up beer (and wine) I'd hit up Winos which is right down the road in BG. The taplist is always killer and they are owned by the fine folks who own Shenanigans.

HopVol likes this.
  27. IMFletcher

Trader

Louisville Beer Store, The Keg across the river in Clarksville

28. IMFletcher

Trader

That 'mystery' CBB beer might be dropping this weekend. Unsure if tap/bottle/either/both

tsgooch79 likes this.
  29. Nhens0016

Trader

Oh come on Fletch, give us what you heard. I haven't heard any bottle events from them!

30. IMFletcher

Trader

They'd probably cancel the release if I said anything just to spite me, lol.

31. Nhens0016

Trader

I hope your not joking. Told the girlfriend we are going to country boy after keeneland so I want to buy whatever your talking about!

32. IMFletcher

Trader

Just saw an IG post of a bottle, so it's not that big a secret anymore -- Rum Barreled Mexican Chocolate bottles.

brian44556 and tsgooch79 like this.
  33. Nhens0016

Trader

I'm not seeing any posts, only thing I saw was warehouse experiment number three and it didn't have any names on the bottles.

34. IMFletcher

Trader

Look up Big_hazard on IG.

35. tsgooch79

Trader

That beer sounds pretty amazing. If it's anything like the 3rd anniversary Mexican Chocolate Porter they did, count me in.

36. Nhens0016

Trader

.... I wants now!!!!!

37. Sturgeon83

Sturgeon83 Aspirant (281) Mar 11, 2015 Kentucky
    Trader

I'm actually going to be in Lex Saturday for the Blue/White game. What's the typical release situation at CB? A lot of their limited bottles are getting to Louisville in distro, but this one sounds too good to chance it.

38. Nhens0016

Trader

It isn't too bad usually. Nates and sinkhole they had I believe a 4 bottle limit at 12.99. You just go up to the bar and they give it to you.

39. Nhens0016

Trader

Wel per IG, they don't have a release date for the Mexican chocolate stout :slight_frown:

40. IMFletcher

Trader

CBB is bottling BB JSP today as well. Sale date TBD.

tsgooch79 likes this.