Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

New Mexico Beer Guide 2016 updated

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by ONovoMexicano, Feb 20, 2016.

1. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,206) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

[​IMG]

Available this Saturday, per facebook.

Also, I see Bell's has made its way to New Mexico.

ONovoMexicano likes this.
  2. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Poo-Bah (2,811) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

Pretty hype for that Oktoberfest. I'll pick up a few packs over the next month I think.

I also picked up the Wet Hopped Elevated bottle, which already sold out at the brewery. I'll drink as much of it on tap at the brewery as I can and then drink that bottle and hope that will hold me over until next year.

I enjoyed Rio Vallecitos Wet Hop DIPA from Bosque but not to the level of WH Elevated and I am really holding out hope for Acequia. I love that beer and hope it is up to past year's standards.

Fresh Hop Clark showed up this week at Quarter Celtic and prompted a visit after I had neglected the place for easily 9-10 months if not longer. I found the beer delicious from a Wet Hop perspective and very nice as a hazy IPA.

A place I don't think has ever been mentioned on this thread is Brewflix and I think it's a good addition to our beer scene. I had an Oktoberfest brewed by Brewflix and watched IT for all of about $13 last Sunday and I could easily make a routine of that. The beer selection covers a lot of bases and they have many guest taps alongside theirs, plus food (which I did not try).

3. denver10

Yeah, I agree that that Wet Hopped Elevated is a level above Rio Vallecitos. I definitely enjoyed that Rio Vallecitos a lot though, personally.

Looking forward to Acequia as well, looks like that one will be bottled again this year too.

4. denver10

So.....Ponderosa has a hoppy German pilsner on tap right now that is absolutely fantastic. Like Marble Pilsner level good....and Marble Pilsner is my favorite beer brewed in this state.

They also have an IPL that they now offer in cans. Haven't tried that yet.

5. denver10

Drinking that India Pale Lage now and it, too, is really quite good. This recent visit with Ponderosa was an eye opener for me, I think I might have to start paying more attention to them. I do have to admit that I really don't care for their facility, as I like breweries more than brewpubs in general, and this place feels to me like a Chili's that brews beers. I hate Chilis/Applebees/Black Eyed Peas/Etc. But if they can consistently brew beer that is on par with this IPL and Hoppy Pilsner, I will get past that.

To another topic...New Mexican wet hop beers. Specifically, wet hop beers using NM Hops. I believe I have now tried 2 wet hop beers using NM hops, Bosque's Rio Vallecitos and Ponderosa's Ecliptic, and enjoyed both. These hops do seem quite unique. Unfortunately, I am not good enough at describing things to be able to express what I am experiencing with them but both beers I have tried have offered similar experiences and experiences very different from what I have experienced with other wet hop beers. These NM seem to promote sipping (from me) rather than chugging (most wet hopped beers I can drink dangerously quickly), and also seem to pair exceptionally well with the malt base too. I could almost see them labeling them as wet hopped blond ales (or imperial blond ales in Bosque's case) more so than wet hopped pale ales in fact.I could also see how others might not not care for it, but I am definitely a fan.

#645 denver10, Sep 17, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  6. ONovoMexicano

Beer Trader

@denver10 your perception of Ponderosa is interesting. I went there about a month ago and was not pleased at all with the flight of beers I tried. None of the beers, a couple lagers, a couple saisons and a DIPA, had any luster or remarkable characteristics to my tastebuds. I think one of those I disliked was the Hoppy Pilsner you mentioned, which I just couldn't dig at all. Beyond that, IPL's hold very little interest for me, although given that they got canned, I am curious to at least try a can in case it's a beer I could keep as a staple in the fridge.

I enjoyed quite a few QC Fresh Hop Clark's and got a taste of their Oktoberfest on Friday; it's nice.

LC's Oktoberfest is outstanding and I am in need of another 4-pack.

Oktoberfests are popping up all over Albuquerque but I really have very little reason to try another brewery's offering in light of how killer La Cumbre's is.

One major positive development is Bow and Arrow. Wowsers these guys got their shit together. I went in yesterday after writing the place off completely a while back and I am officially a fan.

Walking in being greeted by barrels was exciting and the current taplist was such a welcome sight. There was a wine barrel-aged Brett Saison and a few so-called sour beers including a saison, a Berliner and a dry-hopped kettle sour. The two saisons were excellent... Really clean, flavorful and nuanced. I also enjoyed their Belgian stout and the Hazillionaire. Of my flight of 5, I'd say they scored on 4 of the 5 big time and one left me on the fence.

I spoke with the brewer, who has experience with Full Steam and a contract brewery in Wyoming--- I suppose that explains the Wyoming Spirits barrels--- and he is planning to keep pumping out saisons and funky/sour stuff. This is a welcome addition to the ABQ and NM beer scene. Also, he said a bottled beer is coming soon.

Anyway, the TL:grinning:R of this is:

I'm not on board with Ponderosa.

Quarter Celtic did well with Fresh Hop Clark and I'll now visit from time to time.

Bow & Arrow has my full attention.

7. denver10

Someone else warming up to Bow & Arrow.....though I think the beers you gravitated and enjoyed most of all were one's that I was not too hot on, aside from that Hazillionare. And I was pleased with Brett Saison, especially as their first go at it.

I am going to have try that Hoppy Pilsner a second time. I'll be curious to see how it holds up; wouldn't be the first time I tried a beer and it was a right time/right place only to follow things up with a much more tempered review. Not sure it will happen with this one, I think that first impression was reliable. I guess we shall see,

I am not an IPL guy either....but did enjoy the Ponderosa one. Take that for what its worth, though, because it certainly seems like we are coming from 2 different angles with beer right now.

8. denver10

This year's batch of Acequia is fantastic. Like, I absolutely loved La Cumbre's Wet Hopped Elevated, thought it was maybe the best new beer I tried in 2017, and think I might be liking this year's Acequia even more. That good.

Bosque's Oktoberfest is good too but I am not a big Oktoberfest fan, so La Cumbre's is all that I need for that style. Loved how La Cumbre's was not sweet at all, imo.

#648 denver10, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    Irrenarzt likes this.
  9. denver10

Props to La Cumbre and @erway for Ryeot On, this years variation of BBA Red Ryeot. This stuff is, IMO, amazing. Right on par with Bosque's Red Lightning, IMO, which has been one of my 3 favorite beers I have discovered since moving down here. Hoppy reds, rye and whiskey is apparently a combo I am a big fan of.

They also have another NE styled IPA on tap, A Prelude to Hell, which was much more to my tastes than El Jugo. Other peoples mileage may vary, given I am not quite the fan of the style as others.

Bow & Arrow have a new IPA going, Nomadic. Given that the Amarillo/Simcoe hop combo is probably m favorite combination of hops I enjoyed it. Will definitely be re-visiting that one. Their Brett Saison is also tasting quite good these days.....surprised its still going, but glad it is. Tastes significantly better today than it did upon release, IMO.

#649 denver10, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    juneof44 and JJFoodie like this.
  10. juneof44

juneof44 Aspirant (218) May 21, 2016 Texas
    Beer Trader

Hey NM! My wife's in ABQ this week. Any bottles/cans you'd recommend bringing back? That BA Ryeot On sounds yummy! The internet says it's in bottles. Is that right? If not, any other BA brews to search out? Thanks!

11. denver10

Definitely Ryeot On, which is in bottles. Marble's Brett IPA is still hanging around, expensive but one I make an exception for. If Bosque's Acequia is still around also worth the inflated cost.

For the standards....Marble's Pilsner, La Cumbre's Elevated IPA are both staples in my rotation.

Jawnnm and juneof44 like this.
  12. denver10

Dialogue has their Das Palabra Zwickelbier back on tap. I have no idea if they are working on the recipe and tweaking things but seems like there's a bit more prickly hoppiness in the finish of this thing. Whatever the case, its tasting really good. I think this is their best beer, personally. Definitely worth a trek down there for fans of the style.

They also have a Biere de Garde that it solid. Not going to knock anyones socks off, but for those like me with a craving for a farmhouse ale, this one hit the spot. For those who aren't partial to the style, possible you might be bored with it.

#652 denver10, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  13. juneof44

Beer Trader

Last night opened Marble's Brett IPA. Not my style but I definitely appreciate why people enjoy it. Beautiful deep amber in appearance. Funky aroma. Taste is incredibly complex. Fruity IPA upfront, with a sudden transition to funkiness, very dry finish. Wow! Thanks for the recommendation. Looking forward to the Ryeot On next!

Jawnnm and denver10 like this.
  14. eppCOS

eppCOS Zealot (517) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Supporter Subscriber

#654 eppCOS, Oct 27, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    denver10, Jawnnm and juneof44 like this.
  15. juneof44

Beer Trader

Finally opened RYEOT ON!!! Wow! Absolutely fantastic! Thanks again for the recommendation @denver10

eppCOS, Jawnnm and denver10 like this.
  16. Jawnnm

Jawnnm Initiate (157) Aug 21, 2010 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

Cracked open a Unit Monster from Marble last night. Love the 12oz format for a BA stout and it was quite tasty.

denver10 and eppCOS like this.
  17. ONovoMexicano

Beer Trader

Anyone on here attend the Beer Premier? Seems the beers offered there are showing up on taps around town and I am curious which, if any, are worth trying.

I had Scotia Limited at Bosque last night---not a Beer Premier beer, by the way---flavor was good enough but the body was thinner than is ideal and the carbonation a tad too prickly. The beer was also served very cold, which did it no favors.

La Negra drops tomorrow at La Cumbre and got the Woodford Reserve barrel-age treatment, so that could be good. I have always enjoyed La Negra.

Anything else of note out in the Albuquerque area?

18. denver10

Didn't attend, nor am I aware of which beers were introduced at the Beer Premier, so can't comment on that.

I did try Scotia Limited and dug it. Would have gone home with a bottle or two of it if it hadn't already sold out.

Bow & Arrow has a really nice IPA going right now, at least IMO. Nomadico. They also just released a kettle soured grisette with Navajo tea. I think they are getting a much better feel with kettle souring but I generally don't care for the style, personally, so I can't say I was a huge fan.

19. denver10

Marble finally pulled off a successful single hop beer. Their Simcoe IPA is a delight...at least for us Simcoe fans.

Checked out a couple new to me breweries. 377 Brewery is a one and done for me, personally. Everything I tried was overly sweet and malty. Bombs Away Beer Company was decent, especially when I discovered they have only been open for a month. Very aggressive tap list to start out with, 15 beers. Some flaws noticed in some of the stuff but others were pleasantly very well constructed. Might not rush back there, but will keep them on the radar. They don't do half pours which is a big turn off for me, personally.

#659 denver10, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  20. Jawnnm

Beer Trader

I was there on Saturday evening and it had just kicked. Very unfortunate.

Everybody should do half pours.

21. denver10

I was there on Monday and it was on tap, so they just must have been between kegs.

Jawnnm likes this.
  22. ONovoMexicano

Beer Trader

Okay, Marble's Horchata Porter missed it on all things Horchata for me. The Red Chile Chocolate Porter at Ponderosa was also a miss, although I hope we continue to see red chile (along with piñon) making their way into beer (here's looking at you @Irrenarzt ).

La Negra was tasting pretty damn delectable on Sunday afternoon.

I need to get a taste of this Boxing Bear Chocolate Milk Stout brewed with Tanzanian coffee from Iconik, sounds great.

I guess I needa try this Simcoe at Marble. Will do ASAP.

Jawnnm likes this.
  23. Irrenarzt

Irrenarzt Disciple (359) Mar 1, 2009 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

It’s coming bro.

Jawnnm likes this.
  24. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (289) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

Keep your eyes and wallets ready for the 17th of November. It appears that will be the tap and can release of La Cumbres/Modern Times Collab of Postcards from Hell. Postcards had a soft launch at Falling Rock during GABF. And in NM, it was labeled as Prelude to Hell. Tucson AZ is already marking some dates for the 16th as far as a launch/release, so it will likely appear in all of MT's foot print (likely before us New Mexicans can taste it fresh in ABQ). But that is more logistics than anything.

Panama Joe from Canteen released last week. Such a stud of a beer. I just got back from a short trip to SD, where Modern Times stunned me with so much greatness. So it is such a cool thing to see a collab come about so soon. I'm catching the same vibes from both places after visiting their point loma location. I truly felt at home. I hope this collab is a launching point for La Cumbre. MT is pushing out 2 new IPAs a week it seems like. Truly great stuff. I'm sure LC is happy where they are in the core beer lineup market. But there is something to be said to seeing 4-6 IPAs in tap and all of them tasting great. I hate seeing just elevated and Dank 99% of the time. But that fight is for a different day I suppose

25. erway

erway Initiate (142) Jul 28, 2006 New Mexico

We're pretty excited about this release too, and yes, there's a good reason I invited Jacob and Andrew to do a collaboration with us. Modern Times is truly killing it on all fronts. They seem to be releasing 1 new IPA a week and they are coming out in cans the majority of the time. This requires at least 2 if not 3 FVs dedicated to doing that alone. It takes an enormous effort on so many fronts and it is awe-inspiring. Marketing, hop purchasing, yeast management... and let's not forget the creativity on the part of the brewers. It also requires a local robust craft beer market with consumers that are willing to spend the kind of money that makes this logistical pain worthwhile.. It's their thing and it's impressive as hell.

It's not our thing. Our tank space and square footage wouldn't allow for it even if I wanted to. I also love brewing other styles too much. When we began trying to keep 2 IPAs on tap at all times, that was a real stretch for us.

What I can promise is quite a bit more monthly releases of lagers, IPAs, DIPAs, sours, Belgian-styles... and we will be canning many of them. Some of these will be line-priced with our core beers and others will be not.

One thing that I truly appreciate about this thread is that, rated or not, I will get some pretty quick and fair feedback about each one of them. Keep it coming. Cheers!

26. denver10

I tried Prelude to Hell/Postcards From Hell when it made a quick appearance at the taproom and thought it was really good, so looking forward to its return.

27. Michaelpro824

Michaelpro824 Initiate (181) Nov 27, 2015 New York
    Beer Trader

Hey guys, New Englander here who spent some time in ABQ a couple years back. Loved going to Marble and La Cumbre. I'm hoping to get a taste of the upcoming Reserve Ale and Postcards from Hell. Haven't gotten any hits on the trade forum here or on Reddit. Wondering where I might be able to find some ABQ traders who can hook me up. Have regular access to MA/CT/NY breweries (tree house, counterweight, NEBCO, equilibrium, other half, suarez, etc.).

28. ONovoMexicano

Beer Trader

@aaronyoung01 might be able to help you.

aaronyoung01 likes this.
  29. Jawnnm

Beer Trader

Hey, I sent you a message on reddit, I'll send one on here too!

30. JJFoodie

JJFoodie Initiate (192) May 11, 2009 Texas
    Beer Trader

It's an awesome thing that you guys are collaborating on this! Can't wait to try it...see you Saturday!

aaronyoung01 and ONovoMexicano like this.
  31. Michaelpro824

Michaelpro824 Initiate (181) Nov 27, 2015 New York
    Beer Trader

Thanks for the responses Southwest crew! Can't wait to try the Reserve and the Cumbre/MT collab!

aaronyoung01 likes this.
  32. denver10

Looks like Albuquerque/New Mexico had its first hyped release with Postcards from Hell. Looks like LC sold out in a couple of hours. I stopped by a little before 1, saw the line out the door, and turned around and headed back home....so wasn't surprised to see their FB post that cans were all gone shortly after, though was hoping this could have lasted throughout the weekend. I also reads some of the posts in response to it selling out, lot of disappointed folks out there.

Oktoberfiesta and aaronyoung01 like this.
  33. Oktoberfiesta

Beer Trader

Some quick thoughts.

-I made it there right at noon. parking was already deep into the new lot (which I dont see until happy hour on weekdays)
    -doors did open right at noon (no special preferences).
    -I was about 30 deep right at noon (not sure how long the others were waiting).
    -Got what I needed from right outside the patio to inside within 30 minutes. So yeah, lines were long and slow.
    -They basically had two points of sales open for both cans and draft offerings
    -Not sure if they expected this rush. But this was the first time I have had to wait in a line vs. getting a seat at the brewery and just walking up to the bar casually. I'm not sure if there was a better way. The brewery had more people in lines vs. those drinking inside. So for the most part, people got their cans and left. For the most part, for that first hour, it was a can release only.
    -I saw no one exceed one case. But it's also easy to see how they sold out after only 90 minutes. 20-30 did get a case. It is what it is.
    -I know there was no limit and that irked some people, But I did not see anyone have mules or buy 3 plus cases as an individual.
    -Price point better than I expected at $17.25. Far too many subpar beers (compared to this beer) are going for $20 from far less established breweries.
    -By about 1:15 or so, the line had gone down quite a bit, to almost inside the building. This was nearing when they sold out.
    -IMHO, those that showed up early or within an hour and 25 minutes got what they expected to get.
    -Line probably peaked right around 12:45 from my estimate, going back to their new facility going north.
    -Draft had about 2 bbl available. Looking at UT, people were still checking it in around 430pm. Those were good for about 300 13 oz pours, per my math.

@denver10 terrible timing man. Had you just waited until around 1:15, things let up (maybe there was no more parking lol). Things let up until it just vanished. In some sense of the word, it was a perfect release. Those that missed out or worked all day will say otherwise.

Some other thoughts that may be helpful for improvement : Maybe have everyone get into the building sitting down in a seat and then go one by one with what they want. We basically waited in a walmart line without any true idea for a good 20 minutes that they had this available on draft too. I know alchemist has a line counter and knows how much is sold and when to thin the limits. Maybe that last 20 minutes could have spread further with a 4 can limit. But really, we are only talking 20-30 extra people. This was not a large production (even though they say 30bbl was their baseline).

As far as the beer itself, right on par with El Jugo and the Prelude to Hell. Nothing other worldly about this one, if that is any consolation to those that missed it. Very frickin good. but no better than the El Jugos.

I hope everyone can learn from this. LC goes from 37 cases in a day for a release, to 80 in 90 minutes. So yeah. I'm not sure if its the Modern Times backing, or the hazy culture finally catching on. El Jugo sold pretty well in smaller formats. So I feel they could have sort of seen this coming. But the last few el jugos didnt seem to spark too much interest. So finding the perfect YIELD amount to brew is pretty damn tricky.

denver10 likes this.
  34. erway

Yep. A lot to learn today. We did expect a rush, but not that kind of rush. I don't know how our team could have served faster. I think the line was the only way to go as most of the people to start the day wanted cans and to leave. As far as limits, I wish we had limited it to 3 or 4x 4 packs. Live and learn. I will disagree about this vs. El Jugo. I feel that the body and aromatics of this beer were superior to what we were able to do with El Jugo. The experience will certainly improve El Jugo this next year, that I am sure of.

7 Luminarias, our 7th anniversary will come out in a couple of weeks. Similar idea; 9.3% ABV, both PCH london yeast as well as Leuven Ale yeast, fermented like a belgian tripel with 3 volumes of CO2, bottle conditioned, huge dry hop. This will be followed one week later by the first of our single/double series, Big Door Prize. All mosaic DIPA brewed in a similar way to PCH, but with pale malt instead of pils, with dextrose... and just one hop.

I will continue to look forward to all of your feedback. Cheers.

35. kingjohnh

kingjohnh Zealot (556) Nov 3, 2009 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

@erway, I would agre that Postcards was much different and superior to El Jugo, which is very tasty. I hope El Jugo turns out more like Postcards for future batches. As for access to the beer, that kind of sucked, though you snooze and you lose. I was lucky enough that a buddy of mine bought a bunch and he got me a 4 pack.

Jawnnm likes this.
  36. Oktoberfiesta

Beer Trader

Beautiful thing is that everyone is slightly different. I had a smash beer from them awhile back that felt more juicy and lively than El jugo and this beer here. I think it was mentioned that they had no intention to be ultra juicy. Perceptions on different hops and how they click or don't click for us is a great thing. We can like a limited product or one that no one knows about. At least most of us can be that unbiased.

Over the years, some random dank batches have felt superior ( at that time) to what i have tried today with PC from hell. But access to that juicy type of beer is ever growing. I was just at MT two weekends back. So this feels on par with that, which isnt a bad thing at all. I'd drink 4 rated ipas all day everyday without hesitation. It's crazy that that has become the norm. 4feels average in some markets. That's just how I rate things

Postcards so far in cans > draft offering easily. I think this will age nicely up through to the new year if you let it.

Jawnnm likes this.
  37. kingjohnh

kingjohnh Zealot (556) Nov 3, 2009 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

For sure. Batches differ and tastes change. I’m pretty sure I ranked a previous batch of Dank as 5.0 on this website and I wouldn’t rank Postcards as a 5. I used to love three legged dog and was sad when it was d/c’d. Would I like it now, maybe not as I recall it was a little sweet.

Jawnnm likes this.
  38. ONovoMexicano

Beer Trader

Looking forward to 7 Luminarias and Big Door Prize. I think you knocked it out of the park with Postcards From Hell and think I'm in the camp that says the cans are tasting better than draft right now.

JJFoodie, Jawnnm and aaronyoung01 like this.
  39. erway

I'll try it out of the can today... Haven't had an opportunity yet. Like many I acted a little late and had to get one from a friend. Funny thing is that I am seeing some "green" comments. This beer was in the tank more than twice as long as Full Nelson and nearly 3 times as long as Elevated.

Overall I am happy with the beer. I think Big Door Prize, In the Money and Go For Broke could very well be better as I think the hops that we will be using may be more impactful than Southern Passion was... That, and we just get to know this yeast more and more with each beer we brew with it. I'll look forward to all of your feedback on it.

JJFoodie and ONovoMexicano like this.
  40. denver10

Quarter Celtic has a Dortmunder on tap that is bordering on awesome, if not there. Don't sleep on it.

ONovoMexicano likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.