New neighbor beer dissapointment

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by flag8r, Jun 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gkunkle

gkunkle Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2010 Oregon

With my macro drinking friends, I assume they don't want to depart too far from their macro tastes so I'd go with something like:
    Full Sail Session Lager
    Pilsner Urquell
    Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold

If the taste of better beer grows on them, they'll start asking questions. Otherwise, I'm totally okay with supplying session red, good beer at a really good price. I also make sure to save any appropriate beers like Kolsh, pilsners or lagers. Little steps.

2. Spider889

Spider889 Meyvn (1,008) Mar 24, 2010 Ohio
    Brewery

Yeah in my group we don't try to convert, we just gang up on or ridicule and shame them into either hating us or drinking craft. That route got one friend from Strongbow and Arbor Mist to anything Great Lakes or DFH and another from Rolling Rock to Blackout Stout (at least when he can afford it).

Of course I kid... somewhat... but hey, if peer pressure is the main factor leading most people to drink in the first place, why shouldn't it help steer them towards something better than what they're used to as well? :sunglasses:

3. flag8r

flag8r Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2009 Florida

Thanks for all the replies, I was half joking with this thread and really don't care to convert someone. You like what you like, I still think about the first time I tried to drink a Dale's Pale Ale a few years ago. Holy shit, couldn't drink more than a sip.

4. dennis3951

dennis3951 Meyvn (1,011) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Amber/Red Lagers or Pilsners

5. airforbes1

airforbes1 Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2010 California

Why is there a push on this forum to get the neighbor into "hoppy" craft beers when there are so many other flavor profiles? As somebody who isn't a hop-head (which probably puts me in the minority on this site), I rarely drink IPAs or even APAs, and I'd resent it if a beer "advocate" told me I'll never truly enjoy beer unless my palate "develops" to the point where I like super hoppy beers. And I sure as hell wouldn't want a cheese snob walking to me and question my taste as I buy a block of cheddar at the grocery store. I drink and eat what I like, and the OP shouldn't force hops on his neighbor if he doesn't like them. Now if the neighbor is interested, then maybe the OP can introduce him to craft offerings with different flavor profiles. There's a craft beer for everybody if you are willing to look beyond IPAs and imperial stouts.

6. geocool

geocool Disciple (339) Jun 21, 2006 Massachusetts

Lol, just as long as you're not trying to convert them!

7. sergeantstogie

sergeantstogie Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2010 Washington

Took me a while to get it, but really it comes down to who you are. If you and him are good buddies, then he will either A) try to see your point and learn to like it or B) stick to his guns and keep on swillin BMC. Save yourself a headache and just have try sips here and there of something you really like. And laugh at him and call him a puss everytime he cracks a bud.

8. BigCheese

BigCheese Defender (673) Jul 4, 2009 Massachusetts

I would buy something cheap like highlife, no point wasting good money/beer on someone who doesnt appreciate it or enjoy it. (and theres nothing wrong with that btw).

9. Beercub

Beercub Initiate (159) Jan 10, 2007 Massachusetts

"Why does he need converting? I'm serious.
    Because it's fun to have neighbors and friends to share good beer with. It's been my experience that most people who default to BMCs do so because they haven't been introduced to craft offerings they would enjoy. I have a couple friends who have tried a wide variety of stuff and still prefer a Miller Lite. Fine...no harm in that. However, I have many more who have found a niche of craft stuff they like better and others who have jumped in headlong.

Again, more friends to share good beer with means more fun when you're drinking."

This has been a common theme over the years. What is beer advocacy? Does it mean being a missionary pushing an enlightened state of consciousness onto others, or does it mean compelling others to try new things based on example? I bring my craft beers to gatherings and it usually generates some interest and non-craft beer people being willing to try them because i am so passionate about them. But it's more of a "pull" than a "push" and it is never condescending. Your OP had condescention all over it, even if you didn't intend it. You implied that you had to show this guy the light whether he wants you to or not and at some point i think that crosses a line from being a good beer advocate to being an unwelcome missionary. (note, most of this is in response to threads dealing with this topic over the years and is not really aimed at you specifically)

10. FosterJM

FosterJM Poo-Bah (3,029) Nov 16, 2009 California
    Society

He drinks his, you drink yours. End of story. Hes gone this long drinking them. Maybe he likes them.

Cheers!

11. Danielbt

Danielbt Initiate (0) May 4, 2012 Texas

Seems like a lot of people are taking this thread as an excuse to list beer they like instead of actually thinking about the request. The OP is in Florida, so I'm not sure what is easily available there, but Anchor Steam is a great one to start on. If you can get them, Real Ale Fireman's 4 and St. Arnold Summer Pils should go over pretty well too.

Forcing hoppy beers on someone who just said they don't like hops is a sure way to turn them off. Assuming ignorance on their part is kinda asinine too.

12. flag8r

FWIW, I am not trying to get anyone hooked on hoppy beers, just craft beers. Although come on, hopped up beers are the best. I joke.

13. Providence

Providence Crusader (704) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

Welcome to life on BA. Your motivations, apprach, tactics, values and belief system will all be dissected repeatedly with every single post you put up. God forgive the man who just had something he wanted to casually talk about and didn't think through every possible interpretation of his post.

14. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (6,012) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

SN summerfest or bells oberon

15. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Meyvn (1,056) Mar 1, 2009 California
    Deactivated

Pale 31 from Firestone if you have access to it. Great gateway pale at 4.8% and not overly hoppy for a pale like Sierra.

16. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Meyvn (1,393) Feb 16, 2011 North Carolina

Molotov cocktail with the old tshirt fuse half burned.

17. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Meyvn (1,166) May 8, 2006 Michigan

Anchor Steam is a beer most Bud Light drinkers will enjoy and that most beer geeks should appreciate more.

UCLABrewN84 and Horbar like this.
  18. shand

shand Meyvn (1,447) Jul 13, 2010 Florida
    Trader

There's always Bud Light and Miller High Life in my fridge. I'm more than willing to share some craft bottles with someone who's interested in them, but most people are perfectly fine going for the Bud or High Life. If it keeps them away from popping bottles that they won't appreciate, I'm all for it. I keep my craft cans in the same drawer though, so I just have to make sure no one opens a GUBNA by accident.

19. ProudBeerSnob

ProudBeerSnob Disciple (369) Apr 27, 2004 New York

Why is everybody being so douchey? What's wrong with offering your neighbor a beer he might like? If the OP hates ALL lagers, then maybe his neighbor is out of luck. But what is the harm in having some Prima Pils on hand?

As far as keeping some Bud Light on hand.... this may cross into Single White Female territory (bad 90s movie reference). I have given up trying to convert my Dad. So I keep some Labatts on hand. But he's my DAD. I doubt my neighbors have a consistent stash of good craft beers just waiting for me, and I don't expect them to. But I am always game for one of my neighbors crazy mixed drink concoctions.

My advice? Feel it out. If your neighbor is willing to try stuff, get some good lagers and pilsners. If not, save picking up the BL for the special neighborhood get togethers. Otherwise, if you regularly stock his usual without drinking it yourself, you're giving out the stalker vibe.

20. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Meyvn (1,166) May 8, 2006 Michigan

No harm in it but then again I rarely find a Bud Light drinker who loves Prima Pils. I think many forget how hop forward it is especially to those who do not drink such beer regularly. Just because its a Pils does not mean its AAL drinker friendly.

21. terrapinfan88

terrapinfan88 Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2009 Virginia

I'd go with Oberon, victory's Summer of love, Southern Tier's Eurotrash, Regal from Breckonridge, Prima Pils, Victory Lager, Session lager is always a go to for me. Luckily Summer seasonals are around and they are for the most part easy drinking porch pounders, Anchor's Steam beer. Good luck, Cheers.

22. seanchai

seanchai Champion (847) May 23, 2009 Virginia
    Society

I don't know, I find the kerosene in that combo to be a little harsh. Maybe let it age some more?

23. imbrue001

imbrue001 Initiate (178) Aug 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

You talk to your neighbors?
    *shudder*

mountsnow1010, Horbar and Acforster2 like this.
  24. canoale

canoale Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2010 Ohio

This hardly ever works . I know, I did it off & on for many years . Since the late 90's I've had one convert! Save your money buy what YOU want, enjoy it. Let him bring his own ( most ALL of us bring are own anyway) if you must do this just give samples , no one gets hurt & little is wasted .

Oh and how about BELL's amber it was my turning point

Cheers

25. Horbar

Horbar Zealot (508) Feb 24, 2012 Rhode Island

London Pride would do the trick.

26. Kumicho

Kumicho Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2009 Wisconsin

Sounds like my wife... She *hates* "hoppy" craft beers, which is why she sticks to Oatmeal or Milk Stout, Porter, Bock and the occasional Wheat beer.

If you really want to convert him, find a local bar or brewery that does tastings or flights of beer. Just about every local brewery does this, and it allows people to see what styles (and which particular beers) they like best.

27. LAD

LAD Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2008 Texas

Here's an idea: Why don't you buy a few Bud lights for your neighbor when he comes around? Its not about you; its about your neighbor. Put your beerego aside.

28. gustogasmic

gustogasmic Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2012 Michigan

For sure. Dortmunder Gold by Great Lakes works very well for this, or Sierra Nevada Summerfest. Maybe you'll be blowing his/her mind with a good doppelbock before long!

29. Heidelberg7

Heidelberg7 Initiate (0) Sep 13, 2008 Illinois

Break his cherry give him Hopslam

30. youbrewidrink

youbrewidrink Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2009 Vermont
    Deactivated

If you get Shiner in FL I would stock some Shiner Bock for his visits. It's a great lawnmower beer in my book. Landshark Lager is a decent adjunct and somewhat local to boot.

31. icetrauma

icetrauma Devotee (490) Sep 7, 2004 Texas

This is true. A coworker now favors malty beers as opposed to BMC. Not everyone has to bow down to the hop.

32. flag8r

No, it's about me.

33. billandsuz

billandsuz Devotee (442) Sep 1, 2004 New York

he will probably appreciate Bud Light most of all.
    if you want to be kind to your new neighbor and show you care, you should buy some Bud Light for when he comes around.
    he doesn't force you to watch NASCAR does he? though your intentions are good, it is most likely your neighbor is not as in love with beer as you are and that is fine.

34. billandsuz

billandsuz Devotee (442) Sep 1, 2004 New York

yeah, we should mostly scratch each others back and call it a day.
    why else would someone ask a question except to hear answers and opinions they agree with?

forgive me for dissecting your post; i was not sure if you had thought through every possible interpretation.
    Cheers.

35. flag8r

Thanks for all the feedback, it was simply to hear some witty responses, thanks to those who gave said responses.

36. Providence

Providence Crusader (704) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

I don't think we should scratch eachothers' backs and call it a day. Nor do I believe we should all agree with one another. Seems like those are assumptions you made about me. Not sure why....

My comments were in response to him saying that he was half joking with his original post. I thought it was clear that he wasn't really trying to convert his neighbor with all his might, more that he was hoping his neighbor would be into craft.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.