New North Mississippi Brewery

Discussion in 'South' started by Yalobusha, Apr 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yalobusha

Yalobusha Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2013 Mississippi

2. tr9871

tr9871 Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2013 Alabama

Right on, man. So glad to see breweries being started anywhere in Mississippi. There is such a wide open market for this here now. I look forward to the brews and I wish you all the best. Cheers!

Hotmetal1 and Yalobusha like this.
  3. CaptainPiret

CaptainPiret Initiate (157) Oct 5, 2009 Luxembourg
    Beer Trader

That's great news — best of luck to you. I live in Memphis but will happily make the drive to try your beer. Care to give us any more insight on some of the beers in the works?

4. Yalobusha

We will be doing test batches of three types this month: Citra IPA, a milk stout, and our session beer. Not sure what this one will end up being. We are also planning on our own root beer as well.

I have bought quite a few bourbon barrels and we will be experimenting with cask conditioned and long term aging immediately.

We're going to keep it to 3 or 4 styles this first year and make them the best we can versus getting spread out to thin.

5. BetterBeerPlz

BetterBeerPlz Aspirant (227) Sep 8, 2007 Arkansas

I wish you the best of luck. Any ideas on where you plan to distribute?

6. Wheelzie

Wheelzie Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2013 Tennessee

very awesome news cant wait for more regional craft around here

Yalobusha likes this.
  7. KS1297

KS1297 Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2013 Wisconsin

now i can look forward to visiting my in-laws down in starkville

8. Yalobusha

We will be in the following Mississippi counties this year:

Alcorn, Benton, Bolivar, Calhoun, Chickasaw, Choctaw, Clay, Coahoma, Desoto, Itawamba, Lafayette, Lee, Lowndes, Marshall, Monroe, Oktibbeha, Panola, Pontotoc, Prentiss, Quitman, Sunflower, Tallahatchie, Tate, Tippah, Tishomingo, Tunica, Union, Washington, Webster, and Yalobusha Counties.

We will be pretty conservative on adding territories because we want to adequately serve our home region first.

Hotmetal1 likes this.
  9. Yalobusha

If you live in one of these counties and would like to see our beer in your favorite bar or retail outlet, please let the management or bartender know that we are coming on-line in the late summer and you'd like to try our Mississippi made beers by Yalobusha Brewing Company.

Hotmetal1 likes this.
  10. Hotmetal1

Hotmetal1 Aspirant (286) Feb 28, 2012 Mississippi
    Beer Trader

Good to meet you the other night in that town up north. I too wish you the best of luck. Looking forward in your advancement of craft beer here in Mississippi.

Yalobusha likes this.
  11. harperman69

harperman69 Aspirant (234) Feb 11, 2009 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

I'll let Joshua at Pizza Grocery know.

YaloMac likes this.
  12. STKPICR0720

STKPICR0720 Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2011 Alabama

Man this is great news. We need to stay local and buy local. Best of luck to you guys.

StuartCarter and Yalobusha like this.
  13. YaloMac

YaloMac Initiate (0) May 6, 2013 Mississippi

Thanks to everyone for all the support.

Can't wait for the first brew!

14. slatetupelo

slatetupelo Initiate (0) Jun 23, 2007 Mississippi

You forgot Lauderdale county (Meridian)...

TrappistJohnMD likes this.
  15. Yalobusha

Didnt forget, unfortunately. Odds are that we won't be in Lauderdale and other south MS counties until January.
    That's why I said "this year" in my post and referenced only the counties I was certain of.

If this changes, I will announce it as soon as I know.

16. brewskifan55

brewskifan55 Poo-Bah (1,654) May 17, 2011 Mississippi

I'll just have to be patient and wait for the Madison/Hinds/Rankin county areas next year. Always exciting to see a Mississippi brewer getting started. Brew on, folks!

17. Volsdawg10

Volsdawg10 Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2013 Mississippi

This is great news. I live in Southaven (just below Memphis, for those that aren't familiar with MS). Memphis has three new breweries in the making and I was wondering how long it would take for something to get started in North MS. I wish you all the best of luck. Keep us posted with updates. I'm sure I am not the only BA member that would be willing to help with spreading the word or other advertising ways.

YaloMac and Yalobusha like this.
  18. Yalobusha

We will be there as soon as we can! Hopefully, you will take us up on a tour, once we get up and running!

19. Yalobusha

Thank you so much for the support... We hope to give you and other Mississippi BAs something to brag about!

20. dukes909

dukes909 Initiate (0) May 20, 2007 Mississippi

Little late to this thread, but soooo glad someone is doing this in our area - though I wish it had been me. :slight_frown: ! Best of luck to you and I can't wait for it to hit the shelves here in Oxford!
    Cheers

21. Yalobusha

Tanks will be delivered on June 24-25th!
    Follow us on Facebook or Twitter for the best updates...

www.facebook.com/YalobushaBrewing

Or

@yalobrew

Once we get up and running, our main website will be

www.YaloBrew.com

THANKS again for all the support y'all have shown, it won't be long before we will have our beer on shelves and at your favorite watering hole!

CaptainPiret likes this.
  22. dukes909

dukes909 Initiate (0) May 20, 2007 Mississippi

Love the name, logo and location. Glad you're here, and maybe you'll have a need for a chief bottle washer that homebrews in his spare time. :slight_smile: Cheers.

Yalobusha likes this.
  23. ontherocks

ontherocks Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2008 Georgia

Best of luck. If I do the Atlanta-Birmingham-Memphis to Oklahoma City trip to visit in-laws, I will be looking. Draft only at first?

Yalobusha likes this.
  24. yesferro

yesferro Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2008 Mississippi

Who's your rep going to be for Lee county /Tupelo? I'm sure Adam at the Blue Canoe will get you guys in asap, he's all about local flavor.

And nice meeting you in Oxford there a while back!

Yalobusha likes this.
  25. Yalobusha

We have a bottling line and plan on getting that going from day one along with kegs!

26. twizzard

twizzard Defender (683) May 11, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

Good luck!!

Hotmetal1 likes this.
  27. DMEsquire

DMEsquire Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2013 Mississippi

Any recent news? I'm in Oxford and I'm very anxious to try a new local brewery (particularly one that is actually brewed in Mississippi...)

YaloMac, Hotmetal1 and CaptainPiret like this.
  28. CaptainPiret

CaptainPiret Initiate (157) Oct 5, 2009 Luxembourg
    Beer Trader

Good question, DMEsquire. I'm curious too. They said on their Facebook page they'll be distributing "soon." That was on Oct 9th FWIW.

YaloMac and Hotmetal1 like this.
  29. Mississipping

Mississipping Devotee (484) Mar 16, 2010 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

The official release party is tomorrow (October 17) from 4:30-7:00 at Proud Larry's in Oxford! No word on distribution yet, but I hope to see some of you there tomorrow.

DMEsquire likes this.
  30. DMEsquire

DMEsquire Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2013 Mississippi

I'll be there for sure.

YaloMac likes this.
  31. Yalobusha

The launch had me on an internet sabbatical for a few days... sorry for the lack of updates!

We are distributing in our very close area for the moment, but will be adding new counties as our capacity grows.
    Basically Oxford bought every drop of beer we made because we had the good fortune of launching the same week as Ole Miss played LSU at home... Obviously NOT your normal circumstances!

We will be out in other markets soon!

Meanwhile, check out our Facebook page for more info on a day to day basis and we're making our initial beer, River Ale (extra pale ale - 4.82abv, 48 IBU), what's shaping up to be a really nice IPA, and an american amber ale all this week!

YaloMac, Volsdawg10, Krumb and 2 others like this.
  32. BeerSnob-MS

BeerSnob-MS Initiate (0) Sep 28, 2013 Mississippi

I went to Halfway House in Starkville this pasted weekend and asked for your pale ale and they were out. Can't wait to try it. Are you giving tours because I'd love to visit?

33. tr9871

I may be partly to blame for that... had two glasses when I was there last week. But they were out of a Southern Prohibition beer I haven't tried yet so I feel your pain.

Yalobusha likes this.
  34. Yalobusha

Sorry they were out, but I guess they didn't buy enough! We have doubled our capacity and our distrubuter has plenty in stock at the warehouse.... Tell them to buy more!! :slight_smile:

We are brewing at a break-neck speed, so we aren't doing tours right now. We will announce the first tour dates on our Facebook page, so please follow us there....

Meanwhile, our IPA is shipping out this week. I don't know how far the stock will go, but please ask your favorite bar's manager/head bartender to talk to their Clark Beverage rep about getting it...

35. Hotmetal1

Hotmetal1 Aspirant (286) Feb 28, 2012 Mississippi
    Beer Trader

36. tr9871

Thanks, good article. I just got a growler filled of their IPA and its pretty damn good. I think these guys described it perfectly, as it isn't going to break any IBU records or have people traveling from far off places to try a 2-oz pour, but it deserves praise as a great representation of the style. It won't be a chore by any means to finish this half gallon. This is my favorite from them so far. Looking forward to whats next from these guys!

Hotmetal1 likes this.
  37. meigs3

meigs3 Aspirant (299) Nov 21, 2009 Alabama
    Subscriber

I hope you have enough sense to not give your beers some Ole Miss type name, i.e. Gosh Almighty Stout, Red Irish Ale and Blue, Bad Bear IPA, and I'm glad that Dixie Beer is already copyrighted along with Land Shark!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.