Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

New Orleans Suggestions

Discussion in 'South' started by GimmeGumballHead, Sep 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GimmeGumballHead

GimmeGumballHead Dec 4, 2010 Illinois

Hello fellow BA's,

I'm hittin the road again for the first weekend of November... and I'm heading to New Orleans for two nights... 11/1 and 11/2.

I plan on hitting up Steins and Le Bon Temps Roule... I'll be staying on Magazine St and eating at Jacque Imo's... like... every day. Outside of that, I don't know what else to eat, drink, or see... looking for bottle shops and bars... and amazing food

Also, if anyone has any tips on where to rent a bike or a tandem for the weekend, please let me know!

2. rgordon

rgordon Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Go to Liuzza's 3636 Bienville. Genuine neighborhood spot. I love this place.

Kuemmelbrau likes this.
  3. rgordon

rgordon Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Send him off down there past Mystery Street. My best friend lives in the area and this IS NOLA. I do miss Uglesich's. That place was the shit!

4. Mikecap

Mikecap May 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

Bulldog on Magazine is another solid spot for beer. And while your at it, grab a burrito at Juan's!

5. nolabrew

nolabrew Apr 20, 2010 Louisiana

6. HeadyTheElder

HeadyTheElder Nov 3, 2012 Louisiana
    Beer Trader

Boucherie is a must for food. They usually have nice beer options as well.

Avenue Pub goes without saying.

7. jampics2

jampics2 Dec 19, 2008 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Ahhh, my favorite college lunch spot back in the late 90's. Fried green tomatoes, grilled shrimp po-boy, oysters on the half-shell and an Abita Amber. Heaven on Earth!

8. nlmartin

nlmartin Jul 26, 2005 Ohio

Hands down your best beer bet is Avenue Pub!... I found Bulldog to be a bit annoying dam young peeps. Anyhow, my wife and I are heading for nola Mid October. Where on Frenchmen would you head for a bit of music and a few brews. What acts should we look for regardless of brews available? No intention of stealing original posters mojo. Thanks

9. avenuepub

avenuepub Apr 23, 2009 Louisiana

Last I heard wasn't Tipitinas serving NOLA? Also NOLA sponsors a really cool concert series in Armstrong park( just outside of the FQ) ... Thursday nights I believe?

nlmartin likes this.
  10. Redrover

Redrover Jan 18, 2003 Illinois
    Subscriber

While I have been to New Orleans, 20+ times, I’m always looking out for new places to try.
    Can anyone suggest a decent place to watch the NFL & college games that has a good beer & food selection and lots of TVs? It should be in the Central Business District or the Quarter.

Specifically, I have a couple of folks with me that are on their first trip to the city but that are also really anxious to also check out the Bears game on 10/10. I thought Gordon Biersch could work, but fell that there has to be someplace better.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

11. Mikecap

Mikecap May 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

Crescent City Brewhouse in the Quarter makes their own beer that is decent and has some good food as well. Don't have a ton of TVs from what I remember but you could certainly catch the game

12. TrappistJohnMD

TrappistJohnMD Nov 24, 2011 Mississippi

Industry Bar and Kitchen in the Quarter was decent. I watched some college baseball there and thought they had a nice selection of beer (by the Quarter standards). Mannings is in same general area as Gordon Biersch, if not immediately across from it. It will have plenty of t.v.s but beer may be lacking. Locals may shit on both these suggestions.

13. avenuepub

avenuepub Apr 23, 2009 Louisiana

Just about any bar will have Thursday night football on. Just depends on what's more important to you..football or beer.

14. Redrover

Redrover Jan 18, 2003 Illinois
    Subscriber

Guys, thanks for the suggestions!!
    We ended up watching the game at the Bayou Burger bar on Bourbon. They have a ton of TVs, good food and a decent tap beer list. I also made it to the Green Goddess and the Jager Haus. In spite of my best efforts we didnt make it out the Avenue Pub. But since I will be there for 5 days around the Saints game on 11/10, I am sure I will during that trip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe