New Park Brewing - W Hartford, CT

Discussion in 'New England' started by blackngold41, Mar 23, 2017.

1. blackngold41

blackngold41 Initiate (54) Jun 15, 2012 Connecticut

http://www.courant.com/community/we...ord-new-park-brewing-0910-20160909-story.html

Anyone know anything about these guys? They are opening this Saturday in West Hartford. I can't find much on them but their Facebook page somehow already has over 1500 followers and their grand opening event already has 250 supposed attendees and over 1000 "interested."

It looks like they've been doing tasting events around the area for the past several months. They have an impressive 4.39 rating on Untappd:
    https://untappd.com/w/new-park-brewing/194091

Just wondering if anybody had the scoop on this new brewery and if it has potential to be a standout, or if it's just another dime-a-dozen brewery that we see over-saturating the market these days. I hope it's the former. Might venture over on Saturday to check it out.

https://www.facebook.com/newparkbrewing/

2. AaronF

AaronF Initiate (182) Jun 23, 2012 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Have had their stuff in multiple places. Very talented and lots of potential. Solid IPAs and a sour program in full swing. Very excited for them to open.

3. blackngold41

Looks like they'll be pouring 4 beers to start: 1 DIPA, 1 IPA, 1 pale ale, 1 oatmeal porter.
    http://we-ha.com/new-park-brewing-becomes-west-hartfords-first-craft-brewery/

4. mjco04

mjco04 Initiate (190) May 30, 2013 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

This place exceeded my expectations. All 4 offerings at the opening were good but Cloudbreak and Hopiary are excellent!

ianous and FrankLloydMike like this.
  5. GaryChalmers

GaryChalmers Aspirant (275) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Only filling own growlers (and currently with low stock) is a deterrent.

sulldaddy, CTHopman and skleice like this.
  6. PenningtonNY10

PenningtonNY10 Initiate (180) Nov 20, 2009 Connecticut

Yeah, doesn't seem like the best choice. I hope they don't continue going forward. I won't buy three glass at $5 each that I don't need. But if I could bring my own growlers, I would fill up on three different beers like I do at NEBCO.

sulldaddy and skleice like this.
  7. Bcelos

Bcelos Initiate (45) Mar 24, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

yeah kind of defeats the purpose of a growler... But I doubt that is their long term plan.

8. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Poo-Bah (2,637) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Really hope this is only a startup issue due to capacity volumes etc. I also dont need another glass jug in my basement...

skleice and GaryChalmers like this.
  9. CTHopman

CTHopman Initiate (148) Jul 22, 2016 Connecticut

Apparently, growlers aren't the only thing in low stock. They were only offering the Porter for fills last night and are now closed for two weeks.

10. JDurand

JDurand Initiate (147) Jan 29, 2007 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

They had 4 beers available early in the night...they're working out the kinks.

11. blackngold41

Looks like some initial growing pains/poor planning. But by all accounts, their product is top notch. I'm hoping to get there in the near future. Went on opening day a couple hours after open, but the line was into the parking lot and the girlfriend didn't want to wait out in the rain. Sounds like they'll have Cloudbreak and Hopiary when they reopen plus a couple new ones.

12. mjco04

Beer Trader

That opening was the busiest opening I've seen in recent memory. Even at 7PM there was still line outside for pours. No doubt they ran out of beers. lol

ianous likes this.
  13. ianous

ianous Initiate (148) Oct 26, 2013 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I work in WeHa so I'll have to swing by there at some point.

14. BababooeyHTJ

BababooeyHTJ Initiate (145) Mar 3, 2016 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I'm tempted to stop by for some fills tomorrow. I'm sort of concerned with a long wait. And having to buy growlers when I have plenty. I'm really put off by that one.

May just make the drive to tree house if I want to deal with a wait.

Even at 4 total bottles it only works out to like an 8 can limit. I would also have to pay $20 for upfront thanks to having to buy new growlers that I don't need. Still tempting since I live 10 minutes away in traffic.

If I didn't live so close I wouldn't consider going for fills due to the growler policy alone.

15. BababooeyHTJ

Beer Trader

Is it more of a brewpub than a classic brewery? Catering to the west hartford hipster crowd?

I don't understand the branded 32oz fill policy. Seems like they want to sell their beer on site. I don't go to breweries to hang out tbh.

16. skleice

skleice Aspirant (226) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

No way I'm buying more growlers, especially when it's legal to fill others. No business from me while that policy is in place.

sulldaddy, bk64, lic217 and 2 others like this.
  17. JayKoz

JayKoz Initiate (174) Jun 20, 2014 Connecticut

These are my feelings. If it's a law, albeit a stupid one, fine. But there's no excuse for it in this case.

sulldaddy likes this.
  18. BababooeyHTJ

Beer Trader

Growler prices aren't even listed. I think that they're aiming for the annoying mcladdens crowd. Its a brewpub.

19. CTHopman

CTHopman Initiate (148) Jul 22, 2016 Connecticut

Hopefully they will see the light. Hanging Hills played that stupid game of buy our growler or we will fill another growler but slap our sticker on it and charge you $1 for the sticker! That lasted less than a month. These new places should be practically giving their small merchie away for the sake of free advertising (stickers, magnets, coasters, keychain bottle openers, coozies). Making you buy a branded growler is a bagger move and I won't be going there until they change the policy despite the fact that I played HS sports with one of the owners. Nice guy but that policy is rubbish.

beanoboy7 and sulldaddy like this.
  20. mjco04

Beer Trader

It's a classic brewery. Pours and fills and a nice space to chill with food truck to get food.

21. BababooeyHTJ

Beer Trader

Well I went last weekend. I didn't see anyone getting fills. The beer was good. The food truck was excellent.

The experience was far different than I'm used to from relic, stubborn beauty, and beerd. Seems like more of a brewpub than what I'm used to.

I don't live far at all so I'll go again for food and a pint. For some beer to take home I'll go to relic.

22. sulldaddy

Beer Trader

me neither....I dont need more glassware in my garage and have been cycling through giving many away already. I have sanitizer for the growler and wont drive an hour to a brewery knowing I wont be bringing anything home with me.
    Poor business model planning IMO.

CTHopman likes this.
  23. JLK7299

JLK7299 Zealot (581) Apr 21, 2016 Connecticut
    Subscriber Beer Trader

The owners daughter is in my daughters PreK class. We are going this weekend, will post an update but im pretty excited after reading this thread!

24. Bcelos

Bcelos Initiate (45) Mar 24, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Alright so I live about 12 minutes from this place so I went two weekends ago (Saturday afternoon) to check it out. Just stopped in for growlers, but they had a really nice open space with lots of tables and seating at the bar. It was crowded but not overwhelming. They also had a food truck on site and I let you bring in outside food (Chick-Fil-a is next door!).

When I was there they had two seperate lines, one for growlers and one for pours (they do 12 oz and 16oz pours, no flights). Their growler policy is a MAJOR TURNOFF for me, they only allow their glass at at this moment it doesn't seem like they are willing to change. When I asked about their policy they claimed that their growlers were specially designed to hold their beer and they want to serve their beer in the best package as possible, but in reality their .750swingtops are no different than any others.

I bought two growlers while I was there. No line to put the order in and I waited about 10 minutes for the fills. I got Hopiary and Headband, both 8% IPAs, and I would say that the Headband that I had was one of best IPAs i've had in a while, deff a contender for one of the best in the state if not New England...

Overall, I will absolutely go back. It seems they are having trouble brewing enough beer to meet their demands and this weekend only had like two different taps going. When I went there were 5-6 different options, I absolutely would have bought more to try if I didn't have to buy brand new growlers.

Hopefully they concede on their insane growler policy soon because the beer here is absolutely the real deal.

sulldaddy and darkandhoppy like this.
  25. sulldaddy

Beer Trader

"growlers specially designed to hold their beer"???? that is a pretty bogus answer if I ever heard one....makes me even more confident I wont make the drive there anytime soon. too much good beer being made in CT where I can bring in my own generic growler and fill up whatever I want. Hope they change this policy, but until they do, Ill go elsewhere.

beanoboy7 likes this.
  26. pbrian

pbrian Zealot (528) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

I agree with you but at the moment it looks like they can't brew enough beer as it is, so they don't need our business. Their stance probably won't change until the bloom comes off the rose.

sulldaddy likes this.
  27. JLK7299

JLK7299 Zealot (581) Apr 21, 2016 Connecticut
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I stopped in this weekend but there were way too many people there for me to stay with my wife and 2 little ones. Good for them!

And their beers sure looked good!

28. darkandhoppy

darkandhoppy Aspirant (289) Dec 26, 2008 Connecticut

any changes to their growler policy yet?

29. marjen

marjen Initiate (133) Jun 24, 2015 Connecticut

Went last week for the first time. I really enjoyed their beers. Will definitely be back.

30. beanoboy7

beanoboy7 Aspirant (237) Jun 22, 2014 Connecticut

Nope

31. marjen

marjen Initiate (133) Jun 24, 2015 Connecticut

I am kind of surprised there is not more talk of this place. I went here for the second time yesterday and honestly feel they are making some of if not the best beer in CT. Hopiery, calyx and the pale ale were all excellent. Wish they sold cans.

32. BababooeyHTJ

Beer Trader

It's got to be the lack of cans. They are also pretty pricey for pours and fills. Also the bad growler policy. Still, I don't live far and their beer is top notch. I'm dying to try spectrum.

They're also open on Thursday now.

Counterweight is killing it too and without the hazy IPAs which is impressive. Fox farm is also great and significantly cheaper. Ffs I think tree house fills are cheaper

Shyla987 likes this.
  33. Shyla987

Shyla987 Aspirant (242) Jul 18, 2013 Connecticut
    Subscriber

Yea, New Park is charging $8 for full pours on some of their beers. I get it, West Hartford prices. And it's working for them, so good.

But there are many great beers in CT now. Surely different levels of quality. But I don't need to go to New Park and support them when their growler policy sucks and their pricing sucks. As said above, I'd rather support breweries like Counter Weight, Fox Farm, and Lasting Brass. Breweries who are making great beer, for the right reasons. Not to say New Park doesn't have the right reasons, put the pitchforks away! lol. But they're gonna be fine without me and I don't need their beer.

I'll give my $$ to other breweries that are more reasonable.

CTHopman and sulldaddy like this.
  34. BababooeyHTJ

Beer Trader

I don't live far. I enjoy going for the excellent food trucks and a couple of pints. I still haven't picked up a growler tbh. Tempted but I live close by so it's not like my glass is out of the way either

35. mjco04

Beer Trader

So far i'm still very impressed with the new beers. Spectrum was a killer. Blender series with Mango and Peach was delicious. I can't wait to try Blender with Raspberries. mmmmm

36. mjco04

Beer Trader

Counter Weight is a gem as far as prices go. Most expensive 4pk is 14 from last week's collab and Van Art releases.

37. BababooeyHTJ

Beer Trader

I didn't get to try spectrum which is disappointing. I did get to taste blender with raspberry. That seemed tasty. I finally got cloudscape and that stuff was fanfuckingtastic. One of the beers that makes me laugh when people say "neipas aren't bitter". I went with a couple of friends last weekend and they couldn't get into it due to the bitterness. I was more than happy to finish off their brews. But according to people from California new england style ipas aren't bitter. I hate that term btw.

Also prices aren't as bad as I remember. Yeah, no fox farm but not bad. Also a much better choice than any restaurant that serves craft beer in the area since I love their food trucks.

38. mjco04

Beer Trader

I enjoyed the Blackberry Blender. However I think Mango/Peach wins for me so far for the subtlety of the fruits and not in your face fruit smoothie like Afterglow and Blackberry Blender. Spectrum is one the best IPAs they brewed so far. ABV is hiding despite it's drinkability.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.