Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Site New Stat: User's Average Score?

Discussion in 'Support & Suggestions' started by Gutes_Bier, Jul 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Meyvn (1,469) Aug 29, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Come on man. Yeah, there weren't any descriptors in the parts you bolded (and subsequently cherry-picked for re-use here), but here is the entire review, which you provided in your original post:

"Pours a hazy orange color. Thick off-white head. Good retention, amazing lacing. Smells like... I don't even know. Hops, but better than I could imagine hops smelling like. Cigar City beers smell so good. Tastes not quite as good as it smells, but almost. Very floral and citrus like. Lots of grapefruit. Has the power of a DIPA, but feels much more subdued. In a good way, of course. Rich mouthfeel with a good amount of carbonation.

My favorite regular IPA. The smell and taste are just too good for the competition."

Going back through, I see:
    • "hazy orange color"
    • "thick off-white head"
    • "good retention"
    • "very floral and citrus like"
    • "lots of grapefruit"
    • "rich mouthfeel with a good amount of carbonation"
    All of those phrases involve specific descriptors of the beer in question. If his review had been *only* the bolded parts, you might have had a point. But it wasn't. So you don't. You're just calling someone out on some arbitrary standard of how they should be reviewing, and I would be annoyed if you did it to me.

Edit: it's also rather obnoxious to see someone who has only written full reviews on 44 of the 300+ beers he has rated on this site calling others out for actually writing a full review.

pjs234 and GreenCoffee like this.
  2. amnesia85

amnesia85 Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2012 Connecticut

not to stray off topic but I dont see what the point of seeing what a users average rating is. take for instance my self. my average would be somewhere between 4.25-4.9 which at first glance you may think wow this guy just rates everything high. however, I have limited time to spend typing up my reviews and I usually just type in the beers I found to be fantastic. is this problematic to the scheme of things?

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  3. mudbug

mudbug Zealot (599) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

Nope, it's completely normal, and here is the proof. Budweiser has about 3000 reviews, Pliny the Elder has about 6000 reviews. Now who is going to stand there and tell me that 3000 people on this site have never drank Budweiser? Bullshit, people for the VAST majority only spend the effort to write reviews about beers they enjoy to some extent. That is a statistical fact.

4. amnesia85

amnesia85 Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2012 Connecticut

thanks! for me its just like an inspirational thing. I get enough shit from my wife about the time I spend on this site. If I open an amazing beer I will take the time to grab some paper and work it up. If I open a Meh beer Im usually walking towards the sink... and not thinking about reviewing it either. Lately I felt compelled to buy crappy beers and review them just so I can bring my "average down." or justify my higher scores. but then I realize I dont really care that much!

5. Gutes_Bier

Gutes_Bier Disciple (390) Jul 31, 2011 Germany

No argument from me. Someone above suggested a User rDev to go along with it, which I think is also a good idea.

6. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (4,749) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Beer Trader

So, if a beer has less than several thousand reviews, it means that the majority of people on this site have tried it, and found it to be not worth reviewing, thus that means it's a terrible beer, and the rest of us should avoid it?

7. mudbug

Don't know how you got to that conclusion. What I'm getting at is that the vast majority of reviewers do not bother to review beers they don't particularly like. Budweiser is the screaming proof, there is no way that you are going to convince me that 3000 Pliny the Elder drinkers exist that have not had a Bud. What is the answer is that there are certainly about 3000 Pliny the Elder drinkers that didn't bother to write a review of Bud. Get it?

8. Cozzatoad

Cozzatoad Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2011 Italy

I'd be happy to see the average score back.
    As for all the debate, if some users would find it useful and some useless... why not just bring it back? Those who don't care will just not care.

9. beertunes

Beer Trader

Using the Pliny-Bud example, your argument seems to be that bad beers don't get reviewed, that only good beers do. So, if a beer has been around long enough for a fair number of people to try it, and it has a small number of reviews, it must be bad enough to not be worth reviewing, which according to the P-B example, means it's a bad beer. " vast majority of reviewers do not bother to review beers they don't particularly like." If your view is true, there are a helluva lot of beers that I love, that would be drain pours for the vast majority of reviewers. This beer has been on the site for over 2 years, but has less than 100 reviews, so it must be a drain pour for the vast majority: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2391/70347

10. Cozzatoad

It's a one-shot beer from a not so wide-spread brewery, that's why it has less than 100 ratings, relax man.

11. beertunes

Beer Trader

I know, that's why I chose it as an example. And, I'm quite relaxed thanks. May I suggest you might want to tense up a bit.:wink:

12. Cozzatoad

My fault, read it again and got your point

beertunes likes this.
  13. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Crusader (752) Mar 2, 2008 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I find it somewhat telling that, in this thread, a lot of people are against seeing their average scores and those same people seem to be doing a lot of defending of their review or rating practices. Methinks it's a tacit admission that some people don't want to see the truth about how they rate and they don't want others to see the same. The user average tool is available over on RB, and I find it very helpful to me as a reviewer (My average right now is about 3.77 with my average beer rated about 3.87) because it helps me keep my reviews where I want them. Others who look at my reviews will see that even though I might give some 'high' scores to see that I'm also rating well regarded beer.

beertunes likes this.
  14. mudbug

Again you have completely missed the point I was trying to make. The Pliny/Bud example isn't about the beer at all, it makes no statement or infers no judgement on the beer. What it undeniably points out is the behavior of the vast majority of BA raters. Your assumption that beers that the vast majority of raters ignore are drain pours for those people is well, silly. It's far more likely that those beers are just not noteworthy to them. and to infer some connection to small production beers and their low amount of ratings to my example is illogical. I stand behind my observation that the majority of BA raters do not rate beers that they consider boring or subpar. There simply is no other way to look at that data.

15. beertunes

Beer Trader

We've kinda gone off the rails here (wait, what? Off-topic on BA? I'm shocked, shocked I say!), and you and I can continue to kick this around in a convo if you'd like. But, I understand your point, I just see it as showing a different point than you do. To me, it seems that you're saying: We (BA users) see ourselves as more discerning consumers. Thus, we know better than to buy good beer, we only buy great or excellent beer. And of that, we will only spend some of our precious moments on this mortal coil to rate the best of the best.

Obviously there's a lot more to it than that. Getting into reasons why people review, the validity of our reviews, the standards we use, our individual levels of confidence or insecurity, what we had for lunch, have we gotten any lately, and many more items are tied into this. I just like beer. I like talking about it, drinking it, and just plain having it my life. I simply want my personal "Batting Average" back. I like knowing it, you don't care about it. Cool. Cheers bud!

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  16. SHODriver

SHODriver Poo-Bah (1,522) Aug 13, 2010 Louisiana
    Beer Trader

I think it's a bit unfair to do that. I'd like to think that I drink a lot of top notch beers, so for me to have a higher average rating would make sense compared to somebody that indulges in both ends of the spectrum. Shoot if I'm perusing and don't know what to buy I won't come home with a beer with an average of less than 85.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.