New to Franklin TN

Discussion in 'South' started by HopSavant, Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HopSavant

HopSavant Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2014 Tennessee

Hey fellow BAs--

I just moved to the area a couple of weeks ago. Found a few good bottle shops in the area: Red Dog, Cool Springs W&S, and Grapevine. These were some of the standouts that I've found.

Any others I should be checking out? Any FB beer discussion groups for the area? We had one in MI that I enjoyed quite a bit.

Looking forward to meeting with some of you in the future! An advanced thank you for any advice or suggestions...

Cheers!

2. ClemTiger0408

ClemTiger0408 Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2016 Indiana

Following... I'm moving to Nashville area early next year and hoping to duplicate what I have here.

3. HopSavant

Well, I've noticed so far that distribution is a fraction of what I used to get in MI. They have some pretty tight liquor laws too.

Found some really nice local stuff, but there's a lot I haven't got around to yet.

4. rkrisstewart

rkrisstewart Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2009 Tennessee

Lana (blonde chick) works in the beer section at Red Dog. If you see her, she can probably give you some direction. She knows her stuff.

I'm in West TN, so I couldn't tell you much about the area, but I can tell you that our trips to Franklin aren't complete without a stop at Puckett's. They usually have tons of local beer, and the food is damn good.

ha-sheem likes this.
  5. HopSavant

Cool--thanks for the heads-up! She sold me some brew earlier this week.

And, yes, Pucketts is delicious. The Shrimp and Grits there is amazing. Their Boathouse is also really cool.

6. Hollabaugh

Hollabaugh Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2014 Oregon

Craft Brewed is a must hit shop in Nashville. Distro is getting much better than a few years ago, but many things don't see much distro outside of Nashville. Red Dog is your must hit in the Franklin area. PM me and I can connect you with the local community.

7. ALECOHOLIC

ALECOHOLIC Initiate (0) Jun 9, 2004 Tennessee

The Bottle Shop by Whole Foods has about a dozen taps for growler fills. Several of them are "high gravity".

ha-sheem likes this.
  8. HopSavant

Yep. That was actually the first place I stopped when I was first visiting.

Thanks for that.

9. imyourhero21

imyourhero21 Maven (1,354) Oct 9, 2011 California
    Trader

You probably want an invite to the local facebook group then . I can help you out with that if needed.

10. HopSavant

Great! Yes, I would appreciate that.

Thanks!

11. Blinkyoureyes

Blinkyoureyes Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2015 Tennessee

Maryland Farms is also a good shop in Brentwood.

Mantra is down there in Franklin.

If you come up to the city make sure you hit up Smith & Lentz, Southern Grist, Bearded Iris. They are all less than a year old and very good.
    Also, i would hit Yazoo if you are into sour beer. Their Embrace The Funk line is amazing.
    Jackalope is over there too.

Yes, our distribution sucks, but in the past 2-3 years it has grown at an amazing rate!
    When i moved to Nashville 3.5 years ago, it was dismal. Since then we have gotten DFH, Founders, Bells, New Holland, Cascade, Prairie, 2nd Shift, Against The Grain, Alpine, Ballast Point, Dark Horse, Sixpoint, Elysian, Evil Twin, Stillwater, Off Color, Tilquin, Hi Wire, Wild Heaven, Nola, Nebraska, Omnipollo, Urban Family, Smuttynose, Tallgrass, Tin Man, Crooked Stave.

HopSavant, podge_34 and canadia70 like this.
  12. podge_34

podge_34 Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2015 Tennessee

Tennessee has recently changed their liquor laws which seems to have opened the flood gates. In just the last few months we have added Ballast Point, Dark Horse, Perennial, and Prairie.

On 1/1/2017 the laws change further which will allow grocery stores to carry beer up to 10% abv and the bottle shops are all saying once that happens there will be another slew of breweries that add TN to their distribution footprint.

It would be nice not to have to drive to at least get the same distribution as Kentucky.

13. typetrance

typetrance Initiate (0) May 4, 2010 Tennessee

I would love an invite. Local Nashvilian that doesn't have many connections with the local scene.

14. Blinkyoureyes

Blinkyoureyes Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2015 Tennessee

I would like an invite as well.

15. HopSavant

Thanks for the info. I haven't tried either of those breweries downtown, but I've been really wanting to try Southern Grist (Mixes Greens especially) and Bearded Iris; I'll have to check out S&L.

I tried visiting Yazoo on a Saturday night once, but they close at 8pm?? On a Saturday??? Moved onward to Jackalope, but they were closing at 9pm when we got there. Ended the night at Flying Saucer which was decent, but didn't find anything out of the ordinary there.

16. HopSavant

That's good news! They need to bump the ABV a bit more so grocery stores can carry certain Goose Island November releases!

podge_34 likes this.
  17. ALECOHOLIC

ALECOHOLIC Initiate (0) Jun 9, 2004 Tennessee

I would like to join too, thanks!

18. patnjuba

patnjuba Initiate (0) Sep 20, 2009 Tennessee

Welcome to the area Hop Savant! You're most definitely on the right path with bottle shops. Red Dog has always been my favorite in Franklin and will always have the same selection or better than any place in Nashville with the exception of Craft Brewed. The Red Dog staff(Lana especially) has great beer knowledge and it pays to be on her good side! I can also help you with the Facebook group. There's a Nashville area Facebook group with around 750 members and a subset of Franklin members that get together fairly regularly for bottle shares.

19. HopSavant

Hey, thanks for the welcoming! I would appreciate any additional leads on a FB group!

I appreciate the info too--liquor stores are quite ubiquitous here and I've been trying to narrow it down to a select few.

20. Tilley4

Tilley4 Pooh-Bah (2,667) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Dark Horse is here? I'm in West TN and didn't know that... Nice!

podge_34 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.