New Trail (2020)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Bhubbard34, Mar 18, 2020.

1. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Devotee (459) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Like? The only brewery you named previously that is in their price range is Sloop. And they don’t even come close to New Trail.

2. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,404) Jan 6, 2014 New York

So, they don’t list the price, the abv, the ibus, or any meaningful information about whatever they release...that’s...interesting. The beer must be good because that’s strange to me, and would be kind of a turnoff.

3. BeastOfTheNortheast

Trader

Rough crowd from NY.

algebeeric_topology likes this.
  4. guinness77

I don’t know, I’ve never seen a brewery operate this way. I don’t get it but it’s obviously not effecting their sales.

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  5. pinyin

pinyin Disciple (364) Sep 19, 2013 New York

Foreign Objects, an actual brewing partner of New Trail produces much more dialed in and balanced hoppy beers.

Industrial Arts, although they don’t create a new beer name every month has a slightly better lineup of core products in the same price range.

Separatist hoppy beers have much better yeast character and balance than New Trail. Sure their price point is higher but that is what the market dictates. I would also note that Separatist makes some really great lagers, which many people seem to overlook. I’ve never even seen a lager from New Trail. Just haze bombs.

6. BeastOfTheNortheast

Trader

I complain about it. Obviously multiple people have complained about it on here. And they are still doing very well. Would say not overrated like one user suggested.

beerdedking likes this.
  7. BeastOfTheNortheast

Trader

You may want to look at their profile. Although they mostly brew haze bombs, they have many other non-IPA beers. They have brewed a few lagers and they have a Pilsner that is part of their regular lineup.

pinyin likes this.
  8. beerdedking

beerdedking Zealot (502) Oct 15, 2008 Pennsylvania

My gf picked up Rainout on a whim, thence it was commingled with a host of Toppling Goliath brews in my fridge. I thought it was as good or better than all of em. Yeah, I was curious about the ABV and hop profile, but low and behold that info was available here on BA. Anyway, just saying, not overthinking it and just drinking the beer was rewarding.

9. guinness77

Lol, I don’t know a thing about the beer, I’m just saying it’s really weird to not have, at least, the price of the beer listed in the IG post. How do you know what it costs?

10. BeastOfTheNortheast

Trader

Agreed since I like to know cost first, but I’ve seen multiple breweries not mention costs in their IG posts.

beerdedking likes this.
  11. PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander Meyvn (1,443) Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

They won the 2019 GABF gold medal for contemporary Pilsner, Lazy River Pils.

12. dagimp

dagimp Initiate (124) Nov 18, 2008 Pennsylvania

Came here to write just this. And Lazy River is very good and about $10-$11 a six pack. I haven't seen their IPAs at around $12-14, closer to $18 in SEPA, but I've tried a few of them and been pretty impressed. Goggles on tap was fantastic.

13. BeastOfTheNortheast

Trader

Wow, that’s crazy. I have seen maybe 2 of their beers above $14 - one was a mango IPA I believe? and the other was the triple IPA. I have even seen Moonlit, the Imperial Stout, for $11.

Goggles was one of the best beers I have had from them - also happened to be the first I had from them.

14. MmmmBeeer

MmmmBeeer Initiate (16) Apr 9, 2020 Pennsylvania

Their core beers are a white ale, honey brown, west coast IPAs, pilsner, hazy ipa, tart ale. Their semi regulars and 1 offs are different hazy singles and doubles, campfire stout, imperial stout, tripel, barrel aged stuff, a Baltic Porter, an imperial milk Porter, a different lager every other month, a shwarzbier, and on and on. You only see the hazies because that's the trendy thing people post on their social media accounts.

15. pinyin

I actually don’t see anyone posting them to social media to be honest. That’s usually reserved for Other Half, Monkish, Tired Hands, Kane.

They have some distribution in NEPA and all I’ve ever seen on the shelves is their hoppy wheat beers, or hazy IPAs. For whatever reason they don’t make any effort to distribute those other styles to that section of the state.

16. MmmmBeeer

MmmmBeeer Initiate (16) Apr 9, 2020 Pennsylvania

It's not about effort. Any brewery would gladly distribute all their goods if the wholesalers wanted them. Wholesalers mostly want what's sells quick and easy which usually the trendy stuff. Come to central PA and all their beers are everywhere.

You should check out the Breweries in PA Facebook group. Tons of people on their and it's a literal NT and Levante lovefest

17. BeastOfTheNortheast

Trader

Agree with the first part. As for the second, I don’t do Breweries in PA for multiple reasons. But, I’m in a PA breweries FB group and like every other beer someone posts is NT.

18. Seb_aschn

Seb_aschn Initiate (45) Nov 28, 2018 New Jersey

Drinking Hammock right now. This beer is phenomenal. Way too easy to drink for a DIPA. It is made so well. Every time I take a swig, it's like this velvety goodness is bathing my taste buds (that's what she said) in a fountain of youth and glory. This is so perfectly balanced between all of the notions of an IPA. I have had many beers and IPAs particularly in my life and it's sorta hard to impress with them , but damn this really has impressed me.

I had their Galaxy / Citra beer last year (Shades?) And I loved it, but this is on another level. I hope they make a galaxy beer with similar consistency as the hammock.

19. PA-Michigander

Trader

Man, I've been hearing a ton of great things about Hammock. I've just recently stocked the fridge, but feel like I should seek this one out.

20. hillind

hillind Aspirant (266) Apr 24, 2010 Pennsylvania

It’s as advertised, one of the best IPAs I have had in a while.

21. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (2,801) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

I haven't bought much from these guys because I can't find any freshness info on the can. Things can linger at my locals in Lancaster county, so I just I won't take the chance no matter how fair the price is.

pinyin likes this.
  22. PA-Michigander

Trader

That is fair, I don't like that they don't can. However they are cranking out new beers all the time. I wouldn't trust one of their core beers, but when you see a new NT beer you can almost assure it is fresh.

23. Seb_aschn

Agreed, I picked up hammock just because it was released recently. Also I got Imperial Stout moon lit which was great and I didn't have to worry about the date too much

BeastOfTheNortheast and DIM like this.
  24. onthebusin03

onthebusin03 Initiate (157) Jan 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

Split a Hammock today with a neighbor. Yowza. That’s up there with the best of New Trail that I’ve had so far.

BeastOfTheNortheast and hillind like this.
  25. BeastOfTheNortheast

Trader

As far as freshness and dates go, I wouldn’t be too worried about that if you can get on social media. They post every time they can something, so you can just use the post date as the canned on date give or take. The only beer that I see around that isn’t a new release is Broken Heels and I personally will still buy it. There hasn’t been a time when I thought it wasn’t fresh.

bl00 likes this.
  26. pinyin

You shouldn't have to scroll through Instagram for a canning date, and then Untappd for an ABV% while in the beer store. That's just ridiculous. Both of these crucial pieces of consumer information should be printed on the labels. It's not that hard.

27. Seb_aschn

Great, this thread is reminding of why I didn't get more than 1 4 pack of the hammock. That's going into my very top list

28. bsu4beer

bsu4beer Initiate (28) Mar 3, 2008 Ohio

Look at GABF results in Contemporary American Pils.

Sam