New Year Beer Resolutions for 2015

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JuicesFlowing, Dec 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

I did a search for this thread and it has been posted for each of the past two years, so I'll start one for 2015. What are your beer resolutions for the upcoming year? Mine: I want to drink less beer, but better beer. Quality over quantity. That's going to be more difficult in the warmer months, as I tend to let my guard down and pound cheap adjuncts while outside doing yard work or whatever. The past few days over Christmas, I had a realization that I need to change some of my habits. I want to keep enjoying beer, good beer, and cut out excessive drinking when I can. You?

2. ConradKenney

ConradKenney Nov 14, 2013 Maryland

Resolution: To drink less beer for sure. Related: Also to exercise more.

3. interman

interman Aug 5, 2010 Norway

Probably going to be cutting down overall volume, but will be taking my homebrewing hobby further. Will be traveling back to Belgium in the summer to finish off the lambic places and a couple of newer breweries, and hopefully a nice US trip to check out what's happening here and there.

s_wit and BodiesLexus like this.
  4. superspak

superspak May 5, 2010 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Pass 3500 written beer reviews. I went from ~2000 to 2840 since the first of this year, so it'll be attainable.

5. Mitchell57

Mitchell57 Jan 8, 2013 Wisconsin

Definitely no need to increase beer intake lol. Revisit accessible favorites and seasonals. Keep trying more new beers, but don't try to drink everything

aleckpa and Tylertut like this.
  6. pagriley

pagriley Oct 27, 2014 Illinois

Hadn't thought about it, but I like your idea - less, but top quality.
    Probably wouldn't hurt to run a few miles before beers too - need the exercise

CValle1975 and JuicesFlowing like this.
  7. Beer-A-Lot

Beer-A-Lot Oct 4, 2012 Virginia

Two bottles of KBS. And maybe drink a little less.

norfcackbrewguy and Brolo75 like this.
  8. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Aug 12, 2007 California
    Society Trader

Quality over quantity for sure. I'm also eager to trade and form relationships with true advocates. Cheers.

9. hopnado

hopnado Aug 13, 2014 Michigan

I want to start homebrewing. I image creating a good beer with your own two hands would be more satisfying than just plunking down $10-$13 for some random sixer. This shit is getting too expensive as well

mlhyatt and JuicesFlowing like this.
  10. norfcackbrewguy

norfcackbrewguy Dec 27, 2014 North Carolina

Definitely looking to up my homebrew game. I brew at a friend's house on a ~1bbl system that's pretty awesome - HERM system, jacketed conical fermenters (14 and 27gal), etc. I need to utilize that more often. He lets me come over and brew whenever I want. I want to continue to increase my mechanical knowledge and also experiment with brewing some stranger, more involved beers.

I agree about cutting the crap intake though. If I'm having dinner out and I don't see a beer I want, there's no shame in having a glass of water and skipping the calories from having a beer just for the sake of drinking.

Stagga_Lee, Fox82791 and bluehende like this.
  11. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

To chase down more bucket list beers...I cleared about 10 of them in 2014, would like to do the same in 2015

Fox82791 likes this.
  12. BreweryRun

BreweryRun Feb 22, 2013 California

For me it's about spreading out the week's beers more. I want to work on having 1-2 every other day instead of nothing all week and a bunch on the weekend.

13. Anaxagoris

Anaxagoris Sep 14, 2014 Washington

I think I want to exercise less and drink more this year. Ya know really let myself go in 2015

14. dckepley

dckepley Aug 13, 2006 Iowa

I would like to somehow change nothing yet give my wallet a break at the same time. Is that possible?

JC333 and zac16125 like this.
  15. bluehende

bluehende Dec 10, 2010 Delaware
    Society

I would love to play with a system like that. Although I give away a lot now from my 5 gallon batches. What would I do with a 1 barrel batch.

My resolution is to make some sours and advance my wild brewing.

norfcackbrewguy likes this.
  16. stephens101

stephens101 May 5, 2006 Oklahoma
    Society

Drink more open-minded.

zid likes this.
  17. Tylertut

Tylertut Oct 20, 2014 Ohio

Start writing more reviews and revisit some of my favorites I've had the past couple years.

18. dcw6363

dcw6363 Nov 11, 2009 Wisconsin
    Trader

Fewer expensive bombers, more sixers and 4 packs. Fewer whales, more everyday stuff. I live in Wisconsin for god's sake, the local store is packed with good stuff.

Of course it helps that I have some BA stouts in the basement.

Oh and notwithstanding the above, find some more Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus, that stuff is awesome

#18 dcw6363, Dec 28, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  19. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Mar 1, 2009 California
    Deactivated

20. JrGtr

JrGtr Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

Get my homebrew rig set up in my new house. I also need to organize and start drinking down my cellar a bit.
    I'm hoping to be able to get more into the brewing and so forth, while keeping up with releases. Of course, having a little one due in May will probably preclude some of those things, and affect everything forever more...

BodiesLexus likes this.
  21. Norica

Norica Feb 2, 2006 Massachusetts
    Trader

Keep trusting my palate rather than scores on websites of which beers I enjoy.

sunnrider, jcos and TongoRad like this.
  22. king75

king75 Jul 27, 2010 Michigan

1. Switch from extract to an all grain setup for homebrewing.
    2. Attempt to purchase less beer (six packs, 4-packs, bombers)
    3. Make it to 10 breweries I have not been to yet

BodiesLexus likes this.
  23. 5EKF

5EKF Dec 8, 2014 Illinois

1) Continue chasing down beers that are hard to get in Chicago
    2) Get some of the bucket list beers
    3) Explore the lesser known microbreweries
    4) Get more people into craft beer
    5) Possibly start homebrewing

Fox82791 likes this.
  24. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

I've always wanted to try this too. I have a lot of ideas, but I know it's time consuming and I wouldn't want to do it half-assed. Sounds like fun though

25. rozzom

rozzom Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

More home brewing. More beer-drinking in general. Less exercise.

zac16125 likes this.
  26. 1eyed_jack

1eyed_jack Dec 19, 2012 Illinois

NO MORE BOMBERS!

szmnnl99, swolepeer and DaveAnderson like this.
  27. TongoRad

TongoRad Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Same as every year, it seems- drink beer with other people more often.

2014 was pretty good for me- here's to stepping it up in 2015.

28. MisSigsFan

MisSigsFan Mar 2, 2013 California

Only drink on weekends.

29. msscott1973

msscott1973 Dec 28, 2013 North Carolina

I am thinking of making an effort to try as many NC beers as I can.

surfcaster likes this.
  30. zid

zid Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I won't make the same mistake as last New Year's and believe my cockamamie notion of cutting back.

swolepeer and zac16125 like this.
  31. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Mar 18, 2010 California

Continue to try new beers.

surfcaster and SierraJosh like this.
  32. elektrikjester

elektrikjester Nov 15, 2008 Georgia

1. Work down my "accidental" cellar of over 60 bombers and and almost 100 bottles,
    2. Return consumption to pre-2014 levels of 1 bomber + 1 bottle per week, and
    3. Figure out how to reconcile #1 and #2

LennyBound likes this.
  33. zac16125

zac16125 Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Obtain and drink either BVDL or Cantillon Blabaer....

....or both.

LeeEvolved likes this.
  34. aasher

aasher Jan 27, 2010 Indiana
    Society

I'd like to build up the collection a bit. I think I'll be buying and saving more lambic.

ohiobeer29 likes this.
  35. hopnado

I think the 1st step would be reading John Palmers: how to brew, then find someone near you that brews and is willing to teach. The only part of the process that turns me off is the cleaning, cleaning, and more cleaning. I'm sure after awhile it'll just become routine and I'll be drinking my own home brew while I clean

#35 hopnado, Dec 28, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  36. tobelerone

tobelerone Dec 1, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Gonna echo the sentiments of numerous others and say, drink a lot less beer. Too many excess pounds is my number one concern. Dollars spent is another. Third the scene is kind of tiresome. I meet lots of terrific people in the beer world but I am a little burnt on discovering a new teeny tiny brewery with five customers who suddenly put a beer in a barrel and then I can't get within a mile of the place, scores coming in from out of state to max out their allotment for trading purposes and so forth. I won't name names but this has been happening more and more lately and sometimes the beer isn't even that good! Tiny bottle counts for the win though. Shit gets old quick.

Bottom line is I gain weight very very easily, my pants are getting tight, I'm full and bloated from the overall volume (me and moderation are not always friends). I love good beer dearly but need to make it a more infrequent indulgence. Also I've rediscovered good whiskey!

37. hopnado

where's the dislike button?

bdchristiansen and Fox82791 like this.
  38. SierraJosh

SierraJosh Aug 13, 2013 California

Actually follow a beer budget :flushed:

Dil_thebeerdrinking_do and JC333 like this.
  39. dutesanch

dutesanch Apr 22, 2014 California

Try to visit a few more breweries, limit online beer purchases to once a month, and of course earn more beer karma points!

40. ohiobeer29

ohiobeer29 Feb 2, 2013 Ohio

Sharing. Giving others the chance to try beers they have never had or have a hard time getting a hold of.

interman and JC333 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.