New Year Vacation!

Discussion in 'Australia' started by mikefuski17, Dec 12, 2019.

1. mikefuski17

mikefuski17 Disciple (351) Jul 25, 2013 Oregon

My wife and I will be visiting New Zealand, Tahiti and Bora Bora from 12/29-1/19.

We are interested in good breweries, wineries, good bars and hiking.

Any recommendations will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!

2. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Champion (897) Dec 29, 2006 Australia
    Trader

Depends where in New Zealand you are heading. Liberty are a 30min drive outside of Auckland and are worth visiting, also for some good country town food next door as well. Auckland has a Garage Project taproom as well (not brewing there, but at another of their sites in Wellington).

Down south in Dunedin there is Emerson's who are very good, though now not independent, which worries some.

Wanaka has Rhyme and Reason which is a nice casual brewpub to visit.

Wellington has plenty of bars to visit, plenty has probably changed in the 7 years since i've been there, a quick search should yield all you are looking for.

3. RichardLeahy

RichardLeahy Aspirant (245) Sep 15, 2018 Australia

Hi, there are a couple of threads on BA about NZ as a beer destination, one of which I just posted, coincidentally, today! As for wine, the greatest concentration of wineries in NZ is around Blenheim in the north of the south island, an area known as Marlborough renowned for its sauvignon blanc and pinot noir. Those are breakfast wine styles for mine, but very popular. Good luck!