Newbie - Aging w/ Mini Fridge

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Yabu, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yabu

Yabu Aspirant (269) Feb 4, 2015 California
    Trader

Hello and thanks for the consideration.

Just looking for some quick direction. I've read several posts about aging beer. Wish I could build something cool like some of you - (which is awesome btw) but I'm not a handyman or skilled .

I live in Los Angeles, so for aging beer with a real Cellar, there isn't an option. Very hot during the summers 90-100 degrees.

I have a mini fridge, which currently holds Barrel Age beers mostly Sucuba, Parabola, Hangar 24 Pugachev & Hammerhead .

http://www.haier.com/us/products/ki...ct-refrigerators/hnse045bb.shtml#BVQAWidgetID

Was planning on having it on the least "cold" dial at 1.

Is a Mini Fridge like this fairly good considering my options?

Or is that just wasteful / useless.

Thank you !

2. hooliganlife

hooliganlife Meyvn (1,307) Apr 12, 2007 Missouri
    Trader

it won't hurt anything, i use them. you can always put a thermometer in there and monitor temp. colder ages slower, warmer ages faster.

3. boilermakerbrew

boilermakerbrew Meyvn (1,267) Aug 13, 2010 Indiana

My experience with my mini fridge is pretty good.\

It is 7 years old now and from my freshman year at college. Mine has a dial that only indicates levels of blue for coldness. I keep it set at about 1/3 blue (with a thermometer ~48 degrees F). That is a little on the cold side for long term aging, but if you are looking to balance cellaring ability and the ability to keep an IPA fresh, it's pretty good.

I aged a ccouple of beers in college in there for 6-8 months at a time and that allowed them to develop appropriately. Admittedly, this might have slowed down their evolution, but not by much.

All in all, you should be fine for most everything.

4. Yabu

Yabu Aspirant (269) Feb 4, 2015 California
    Trader

Thank you both for the reply. I'll get the thermometer .

5. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Poo-Bah (1,773) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Society Trader

i use my old dorm fridge set to its lowest setting. it stays about 45 degrees.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.