Newbie BIF Hints & Hauls

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by LehighAce06, Aug 27, 2015.

1. timmy2b

timmy2b Champion (867) Jan 24, 2007 New York
    Trader

I’ll take IPAs, no need for the big beers for stickers! Haha

Eziel, azuelke, Elkevjoe and 5 others like this.
  2. BartS

BartS Aspirant (261) Nov 15, 2012 California
    Trader

Vintage Baba Booey, love it!

Jackd33, Eziel, HeartofMiami and 5 others like this.
  3. Scottsbeer

Scottsbeer Defender (611) Nov 3, 2017 Florida
    Trader

Had a couple of the bonus beers from @brewnic today to get ready for "blind Monday"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Scottsbeer

Trader

Bonus blind #2 may be available to you and is definitely not a whale but I believe it is fresher than you have seen and I wanted to get your blind opinion before you know what it is. Chill it and drink it. :slight_smile:

Eziel, azuelke, HeartofMiami and 4 others like this.
  5. Bum4ever

Bum4ever Zealot (597) Jan 18, 2017 California
    Trader

Since all eyes should be on this thread over the next week, I figured it was a great time to get these cushions moving again:

#CIF Rules...

To keep the momentum going for the #CIF (Cushion It Forward), here is this standard language:

Invite list: Obviously anyone in the Newbie BIF is encouraged to participate. I'll open this up to lurkers as well. The only requirement is at least 5 trades and 100% feedback. In the spirit of the Newbie BIF anyone with less than 5 trades or with less than 100% feedback is welcome to join with a veteran sponsor. Veteran lurkers are also welcome. I will ask that you only sign up if you are committed to keeping the #CIF going.

How it works: If you want a chance at these red chair cushions all you have to do is send me a PM titled "#CIF I'm in!". Include your name, full shipping address (work or home?), phone number, email address, and your Untappd name (optional). Let me know about any shipping date restrictions and style preferences.

Rather than announce the recipient I will ninja the box out. The lucky BA who is surprised by the cushions will add their BA handle and location to the cushions with a permanent marker.

Anyone who hasn't received the #CIF box is eligible. There are a lot of familiar names on these cushions so I need some new targets! Goal is to have this put after this current round ends next weekend.

Cheers Newbies!

BartS, Eziel, azuelke and 8 others like this.
  6. jschott75

jschott75 Savant (918) May 19, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Summer 6er box landed a few days back from @JBowenGeorgia. Unreal about of beer packed in this box.

First up is 7 beers for the 6 days.
    [​IMG]
    Also a lot of great looking extras.
    [​IMG]
    If all of that was not enough, 6 days of blind chugs were also included.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for everything John. Looking Forward to getting started tomorrow.

BartS, Eziel, azuelke and 8 others like this.
  7. Bert00

Bert00 Initiate (109) Jul 26, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

How do you do this with the picture I feel like I used to know how and then the app was updated and I don’t know how to do this anymore!

BartS, Eziel, azuelke and 3 others like this.
  8. timmy2b

Trader

[​IMG]
    Day One, Getcha Popcorn Ready for the Reveals!

BartS, Bum4ever, Eziel and 7 others like this.
  9. thatoneguymike

thatoneguymike Meyvn (1,146) Sep 18, 2012 Georgia
    Trader

@JBowenGeorgia look at you, my boy!!! You're gonna hurt folks' backs slinging around boxes like that!

BartS, Bum4ever, Eziel and 7 others like this.
  10. thatoneguymike

Trader

Haul Hint: dropped off the package after the truck had already left, so it's arriving later than I'd like, BUT...today!

77080356155(x)

BartS, Eziel, azuelke and 5 others like this.
  11. Scottsbeer

Trader

Copy internet address of picture, in reply window click insert picture box, paste picture address in the insert picture pop up.

12. Bert00

Trader

Thank you! I’ll be trying this very soon!

BartS, Eziel, JBowenGeorgia and 5 others like this.
  13. Scottsbeer

Trader

1st day blind beer from @brewnic
    [​IMG]
    Opened it and smelled it from the bottle, obviously a big stout that needed a snifter. From the snifter it had very little head when poured and no lacing. Smell is dark roasty malts, oak, licorice, chocolate, bourbon and slight smokiness. Taste follows the nose with a touch of vanilla and a nice chewy mouthfeel, as all big stouts should have. A little pleasant warming indicates that a 22 oz. bomber is probably going to result in a buzz.

BartS, Eziel, JBowenGeorgia and 6 others like this.
  14. Vidblain

Vidblain Meyvn (1,141) Feb 17, 2017 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Speaking of... I was going to put my air conditioner in the window today, but damn dude, my back is aching after hauling this box in. Wow. Barely had space on my counter for the extras, let alone the wrapped days!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last but not least, this cute AF dog bowl for my little buddy Sam!

[​IMG]

Quite the spread there...

[​IMG]

Kickass box, @thatoneguymike - thanks a bunch! Super psyched for day 1!

BartS, Eziel, winehead247 and 8 others like this.
  15. Scottsbeer

Trader

So after the first glass of the bomber I still couldn't nail it down more than a damn good BA stout with a warming ABV so I opened it.
    [​IMG]

Damn, another big want and this time with cute fruity wrapping paper! Thanks @brewnic !

BartS, Eziel, JBowenGeorgia and 9 others like this.
  16. Bert00

Trader

17. Bert00

Trader

18. Scottsbeer

Trader

[​IMG]
    Fixed it for you! I don't use the ap so I can't answer questions about pictures from phones but I am sure somebody here can.

BartS, Eziel, JBowenGeorgia and 3 others like this.
  19. xKURTx

xKURTx Initiate (34) Jun 3, 2019 Nebraska
    Trader

[​IMG]
    Day 1 IPA from @winehead247 Really nice balance on this. Lots of tropical notes but still some bitterness. Super good, no burn at all - I could drink a bunch of these.

Edited to follow up:
    [​IMG]
    Hell yeah. Galactic Space Circus from Creature Comforts.

#21539 xKURTx, Jun 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    BartS, Eziel, winehead247 and 8 others like this.
  20. Elkevjoe

Elkevjoe Initiate (96) Jan 4, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

21. Bert00

Trader

You’re the best

BartS, Eziel, JBowenGeorgia and 4 others like this.
  22. Bert00

Trader

23. Elkevjoe

Elkevjoe Initiate (96) Jan 4, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

[​IMG]

24. HeartofMiami

HeartofMiami Champion (803) Sep 20, 2014 Florida
    Trader

Summer Sixer begins with two great beers thanks to @azuelke
    [​IMG]
    Delicious berry bomb from Drekker for 1A
    [​IMG]
    Another tasty Drekker fruit bomb for 1B, passionfruit, orange and guava Braaaaains!

Thanks Adam for two excellent beers to start...can’t wait for the next 5 days

25. MTKATL

MTKATL Meyvn (1,032) Jun 9, 2015 Georgia
    Society Trader

Day 1 from @Sturgeon83:
    [​IMG]
    This blasts your senses with cinnamon and bourbon. Taste is clearly a Mexican stout with dark chocolate, sweetness of bourbon, chilis, and cinnamon. It’s really well balanced and I really enjoyed the chewiness of it.
    [​IMG]
    Pulpit Rock BA Rechoncho. I had never heard of this beer, but I truly enjoyed drinking it! Thanks, @Sturgeon83!

BartS, Eziel, JBowenGeorgia and 7 others like this.
  26. thatoneguymike

Trader

First beer of the Summer Sixer from @max13 ...

Beautiful color that we've all come to love, and a taste of citrus, heavy on the orange flavor...couldn't pinpoint what it was at that moment..

[​IMG]

So, the reveal...!!

[​IMG]

Awesome beer, always thankful to get to have some Tree House! Thanks @max13!!

So, Beer 1B had me suspicious after the pour...

[​IMG]

I wasn't sure what it was, but I figured it was something similar, and, it was, indeed..a little more muted on the nose, darker on the pour..but I figured it was one of the other from the TH Julius family..

[​IMG]

oh myyyyyyyyyyyyy!!! HUGE long-time want, thanks a million @max13 !! Much love for this one, for sure. And, damn. Damn is really all I can say, as KJ is just about as perfect of an IPA as can be, in my opinion. The hype is real on this one.

Hell of a way to start off the Summer Sixer, I must say. Cheers to you, @max13 and the other newbies enjoying this first day of celebrations.

BartS, Eziel, JBowenGeorgia and 10 others like this.
  27. Bert00

Trader

BartS, Eziel, JBowenGeorgia and 7 others like this.
  28. Scottsbeer

Trader

Yes I am. Just ask me!

BartS, Eziel, JBowenGeorgia and 4 others like this.
  29. Vidblain

Vidblain Meyvn (1,141) Feb 17, 2017 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Man, I was way off - my palate is junk today! And in general.

[​IMG]

Raspberry! So passion fruit and pomegranate obviously weren't even close, haha.

Regardless, thanks @thatoneguymike - great day 1!

30. max13

max13 Initiate (33) Jul 1, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

So glad you enjoyed @thatoneguymike i was happy to have the KJ to truly “BIF”!! Cheers!!

BartS, HeartofMiami, Vidblain and 6 others like this.
  31. Dicers

Dicers Poo-Bah (1,715) Sep 2, 2012 Colorado
    Fest Crew Society Trader

Hiked Specimen Ridge today in Yellowstone for @corm44 Day 1 Summer Sixer... Wanted to drink up top but as the weather can show it was a bit ominous

[​IMG]

We descended down a bit to the petrified canyon area (which included a redwood)

My GF is a saint and blind poured for me (yes I bought a glass in Bozeman to hike with and do this all with) smelled like a stout right away and we were high in elevation so I looked and saw that it was by appearance a stout.

Smelled like adjuncts, (either flavored coffee or maple)

[​IMG]

No idea the brewery guessing a adjunct stout, bit weird on the end but not unpleasant.

[​IMG]

A maple imperial stout (research makes me believe it is Toasted Coconut and Maple Imperial Baked) if it does have coconut I don't get it.

Solid first beer, thanks Dustyn

BartS, HeartofMiami, Vidblain and 9 others like this.
  32. azuelke

azuelke Initiate (96) Nov 12, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

I forgot to say before anyone started opening their blind beers, but if it is possible, please save your empties for a killshot after all have been consumed!

BartS, HeartofMiami, Vidblain and 5 others like this.
  33. azuelke

Trader

And I'm already falling behind... @Scottsbeer had included some "bonus" wrapped beers, so I am using those as extra days. I consumed the first on Sunday as a Day Zero beer. It poured thin and fairly dark brown. Lots of bourbon and caramel on the nose, and in flavor. It very much resembled a barleywine, but it was much thinner.

[​IMG]

I couldn't for the life of me think of what the hell it could be, so I unwrapped it. Cigar City Tannhauser Gate, a bourbon barrel aged weizenbock. Very interesting, thanks again Scott!

BartS, HeartofMiami, Vidblain and 6 others like this.
  34. azuelke

Trader

Day one poured a thick, big stout. Tons of whiskey on the nose, and flavor. I poured this one right before I had to run out last night, so I was able to let it warm up easily. Both cold and room temp, I could have sworn I had this beer before...

[​IMG]

And I sure have! Loved it then, love it now! Cycle Rare DOS 1yr! Thanks again @Scottsbeer

BartS, HeartofMiami, Vidblain and 5 others like this.
  35. timmy2b

Trader

Two Barleywines from Jackie O's to start my sixer. Thanks @Eziel [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I preferred the Cellar Cuvee 11 of the two, but both very well done (and I'm not usually a Barleywine drinker)

BartS, azuelke, HeartofMiami and 7 others like this.
  36. JBowenGeorgia

JBowenGeorgia Crusader (722) Sep 1, 2016 Georgia
    Trader

Well hell, once things settled down at the house last night I started to post BOTH boxes from @locoformavs as he mentioned when my first one landed that another was on the way.
    [​IMG]
    Box one included all these dangerous blind beers along with several new brewery ticks in Wiley Roots, New Image, Tommyknocker, Outer Range, Woods Boss, and Upslope. Also several new Weldwerks, a couple of #chugs, and some new stickers for the beerfridge.
    Box 2 came in with these beauties.
    [​IMG]
    More chugs, several more tasty sounding new ones, and a couple samples of bourbon(Weller Antique 107 and Makers Mark Cask).
    Thanks Logan for welcoming me in with this generous display!

37. JBowenGeorgia

JBowenGeorgia Crusader (722) Sep 1, 2016 Georgia
    Trader

Day one, enjoyed this one while tending the grill, looks to be a perfect beer for 90°+ evening.
    [​IMG]
    Immediately knew this was a BA stout, no hiding the aroma here. Lots of chocolate and dark fruits but the barrel didn't seem to be solely bourbon, first though was rum.
    And the reveal
    [​IMG]
    Hell yeah, finally getting to try a MILF! Barrel was brandy. Thanks @locoformavs for this one, looking forward to see what day two has in store.

BartS, azuelke, HeartofMiami and 5 others like this.
  38. Eziel

Eziel Savant (969) Jan 31, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

[​IMG]
    Day 1 from @byrdpickem . I saw he had some extra DDH GitM for trade and knew this one right away. A killer can of hops, good start!
    [​IMG]

BartS, azuelke, HeartofMiami and 4 others like this.
  39. Franfab

Franfab Initiate (131) Apr 3, 2018 Illinois
    Trader

Well I was hit late last week with a whole bunch of goodies from @MTKATL . This isn't the first time I've done a sixer with him before so I'm excited to see what this batch will bring. He's also good about including some wine for my wife and a bottle of bourbon!

[​IMG]

Also had day 1 last night. Pours a beautiful red color, smells like fruit punch (tropical fruit notes), and is tart and sweet. I assumed stout by the bottle size and shape so I pulled out the trusty Medianoche glassware. I guessed wrong.

[​IMG]

After drinking, I was very impressed. JWB - DFPF. Beautifully crafted Berliner. A nice way to ease in to the Summer Sixer which is always appreciated.

[​IMG]

40. Scottsbeer

Trader

Time for day 2. 750 ml bottle, popped the cap and it is definitely a wild or sour of some type so poured it into a Teku. Hazy straw color with a nice head that faded leaving a slight ring at the edge and a touch of lacing. Smells of hay, apricot or peach or nectarine with a slight funk. Mildly sour with a slight metallic taste with the above mentioned fruit(s). I'm going with a spontaneous fermentation fruited saison.
    [​IMG]

#21560 Scottsbeer, Jun 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    BartS, azuelke, HeartofMiami and 5 others like this.