Newcastle/South Shields and Edinburgh Trip

Discussion in 'British Isles' started by Pulley9, May 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pulley9

Pulley9 Mar 19, 2015 Scotland

At the end of this month I'm going on a short holiday with the gf to South Shields and Edinburgh. What are the must-visit bars and breweries in those areas?

I've been out in Edinburgh a few times but mostly for rugby and clubbing, but this trip will be a lot more laid back! So if there's anywhere you'd recommend particularly I'd love to know.

I've had a quick scan through the Places section here and have a couple of ideas, but would love to hear some more recent suggestions too.

2. EmperorBevis

EmperorBevis Sep 25, 2011 England
    Moderator Society Trader

Can commissioner @Aye please activate the @Zimbo signal

breadwinner, Aye and Zimbo like this.
  3. Zimbo

Zimbo Aug 7, 2010 Scotland

Holy Hop Attack Batman!
    I'm here.

In relatively close proximity to each other I would suggest:

The Halfway House
    The Bow Bar
    BrewDog Edinburgh
    The Blue Blazer
    Cloisters
    The Hanging Bat

I could continue if you'd like.

4. Aye

Aye Jul 21, 2011 England
    Deactivated

South Shields? blimey! Now there's a place.

The Maltings, Jarrow Brewery pub, a forest of sticks, Jarrow beers and guests.
    The Steamboat, many times winner of Camras POTY, good rock jukebox and great atmosphere
    The Alum Ale House, cracking pub next to the ferry, Banks, Jennings, Marstons, Ringwood etc, more handpulls than you can shake a stick at.
    The Wouldhave, a Wetherspoons and none the worse for it.
    The Dolly Peel.

Check out Colmans for cracking fish and chips as patronised by a Foreign Sectretary and a Star Trek captain or any of the many Indian Restaurants on Ocean Road for reasonably priced bait.

If you make it to the Toon you'll be better served in the craft keg department at the Free Trade Inn, Bacchus, BrewDog, Bodega, Bridge Tavern, Town Wall, Pleased To Meet You, Crown Posada, Cumberland Arms, Hop and Cleaver, Bierrex etc
    http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2014/feb/20/newcastle-top-10-craft-beer-pubs
    http://www.tastingbeers.com/school/beer_journeys/12009375.html

Breweries.
    Northern Alchemy
    Allendale
    Durham
    Almasty
    Mordue
    Tyne Bank
    Anarchy
    Out There Brewing
    Wylam jake head ipa
    Temptation
    Truefitt

#4 Aye, May 1, 2015
    Last edited: May 1, 2015
    London_Gent and breadwinner like this.
  5. Kozel

Kozel Jun 18, 2014 Scotland

Can't argue with any of those tbh.

Trying to talk Mrs. Kozel into a beer sampling day in Edinburgh on Monday as it's a bank holiday. She had other plans for us, but not completely ruled out a beer day. Must behave over the weekend. :stuck_out_tongue:

Zimbo likes this.
  6. Zimbo

Zimbo Aug 7, 2010 Scotland

M
    I'm on Dad duty Monday ( wife is working) so an Edinburgh beer day is sadly highly unlikely for me.

Kozel likes this.
  7. Kozel

Kozel Jun 18, 2014 Scotland

Seems to be getting more likely for me Zimbo. Mrs. Kozel opened a bottle of Shiraz, had a couple of glasses, then asked if she could have one of the Tesco DIPA's in the fridge, I think she's on the turn.

Big day tomorrow, off to Greenock to (hopefully) see Morton win the league. Got pals coming up from Manchester, Nottingham and Lueven for the game. We're all heading to The James Watt (Greenock's finest son & the 'Spoons) for pre-game nerve settlers and hopefully for post-game celebrations. It'll be beertastic regardless of the result.

Zimbo likes this.
  8. Aye

Aye Jul 21, 2011 England
    Deactivated

9. Pulley9

Jings! Crivvens! Assist my Robert!

Thanks folks, that's some serious knowledge there! This looks like it could turn into quite the boozy little holiday!

Aye likes this.
  10. Pulley9

Not long back from my little holiday now. It's safe to say it was an enjoyable trip.

Made it to a good few of the suggested pubs in Shields.
    The Maltings, Alum House and the Steamboat were all excellent pubs, and I will definitely be visiting them again the next time we head down there.

Unfortunately by the time we got to Edinburgh the better half wasn't feeling so great, so we didn't make it to any pubs there at all. But there's always next time!

Aye likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.