Newer hops that y'all are digging?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by MrOH, Jun 25, 2018.

1. MrOH

MrOH Crusader (796) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

It's been a few years since I bought hops in bulk, and I've started brewing a lot more regularly in the past few months, so I figure it's time to stock up again via Yakima Valley. Already got 1# each Amarillo and Simcoe in the freezer from LHBS (originally was just gonna buy 5oz each, but figured I'd use the full pound of each fairly quickly).

There are a lot of newer varieties that have come out in the past few years that I'm not really too familiar with. Any recommendations on some must tries? I brew mainly IPAs/Pales and saisons, with a couple of British and other Belgians thrown into the mix throughout the year.

TooHopTooHandle likes this.
  2. TooHopTooHandle

TooHopTooHandle Initiate (84) Dec 20, 2016 New York

Ive been messing around with all sorts of newer hops. Vic secret, Idaho-7, medusa, strata, denial, Eldorado. Those hops are all great for pales, ipas, and neipas.

EvenMoreJesus and MrOH like this.
  3. MrOH

Got a couple of oz of Denali in the freezer that I'm gonna use with the aforementioned Simcoe and Amarillo.

What do you get from the others you listed?

TooHopTooHandle likes this.
  4. wasatchback

wasatchback Aspirant (259) Jan 12, 2014 Utah

Idaho 7 or 007 might be my new favorite. Really cool orange character

Strata is awesome but more won't be available until fall sometime

Enigma, Galaxy, Vic Secret are all awesome Australian varieties that are super potent

Denali, Ekuanot are some other newbies.

Anyone tried Triumph yet? YVH has some but only in 2oz packages. Only info I can find on it is a sell sheet from Cigar City that lists it as having notes of "lime leaves and valencia orange"

EvenMoreJesus and MrOH like this.
  5. MrOH

Triumph sounds pretty great!

What do you get from the other varieties you listed?

6. TooHopTooHandle

IMO vic secret is a stronger version of galaxy, Idaho-7 gave me notes of tropical/citrus and had a dank piney quality to it (amazing hop for a smash beer!) El dorado and denali are super fruity to me with notes of pineapple, apricots, tropical and fruity ( my 2 fav hops) medusa was very very mild fruity/melon to me (def don't want to use it with something powerful because it will get buried), and the strata had more of a weed/danky fruit characteristic to me, but was also mild.

MrOH likes this.
  7. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,732) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Premium

I’ll be dryhopping 2 oz cryo eukanot in a pale ale I brewed over the weekend.
    Edit: first-timer

MrOH likes this.
  8. Granitebeard

Granitebeard Initiate (94) Aug 24, 2016 Maine

I have been digging Tahoma. Not your fancy proprietary NW hops, but something that is nice aroma in my book.

pweis909 and MrOH like this.
  9. Lukass

Lukass Savant (914) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio

Denali was terrific when paired with Citra as a dry hop. I plan to use Denali again real soon. I got lots of ripe pineapple juice flavors from it.

I’ve got hallertau blanc and Huell Melon that I’m really looking forward to trying as dry hops for two different beers I have going now. I don’t want to mix these though because I really wanna see what each can contribute to the aroma/flavor

NorCalKid, TooHopTooHandle and Dave_S like this.
  10. MrOH

What did you get from Tahoma?

Granitebeard likes this.
  11. TooHopTooHandle

Citra, Denali, El dorado, and Galaxy is a great combo in a NEIPA

NorCalKid and Lukass like this.
  12. Granitebeard

Granitebeard Initiate (94) Aug 24, 2016 Maine

I got a subtle lemon like citrus aroma. I feel I got a little cedar/pine in there, which YCH says Tahoma has. But all my buddies didn't get any. I only used two ounces in semi-cream ale, so maybe need a little more.

MrOH likes this.
  13. NorCalKid

NorCalKid Initiate (91) Jan 10, 2018 California

Denali is the dark horse. Big pineapple. Have a Galaxy/ Denali NEIPA fermenting away right now. “ Pineapples from Space “

MrOH and TooHopTooHandle like this.
  14. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (237) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

el dorado but honestly I don’t experiment much. I have some jarrylo that I really don’t want to use.

15. NorCalKid

Same as well. Used 1/2 lb of Medusa with a touch of Mosaic, in a 5 gal batch and got a lot of melon.

16. TooHopTooHandle

its def a nice subtle hop with really low AA

NorCalKid likes this.
  17. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (413) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio

Used #06297 (experimental stonefruit) in a pale a few days back and it's looking *extremely* promising. I will know in a week or so with the finished beer, but the aroma/flavor is just awesome. If it ends up as good as I expect, I may need to buy more of this hop pronto. Blending with Galaxy or Vic Secret may result in epic hopness to the third degree.

MrOH likes this.
  18. MrOH

Is it because Jarrylo was a below average performer or because you're trying to hang on to it?

19. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,622) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

I bought 8 ounces of El Dorado recently. My first batch using this 'new' hop is an El Dorado IPA. That batch is dry hopping right now so I will know shortly how that beer tastes. My next batch will be a 'NEIPA' which will be a combination of Mosaic/Citra/El Dorado.

Cheers!

Prep8611 likes this.
  20. Prep8611

It’s just nothing special. Waste of money imho.

21. KeyWestGator

KeyWestGator Devotee (489) Jan 21, 2013 Florida
    Trader

I agree. Had 4 oz it that I made a SMaSH out of. I mixed it up with another unknown to me hop in my freezer. It wasn’t really conducive to a beer like that. Malt was pearl IIRC. The keg got drank, but it was pretty plain and non descript.

Prep8611 likes this.
  22. secondbase

secondbase Initiate (54) Jun 3, 2015 Tennessee

Echoing Jarrylo being lackluster. Would not buy again.

Prep8611 likes this.
  23. NorCalKid

To pile on, BRU-1 was also a disappointment. Got subtle melon with an odd herbal/ floral. Didn’t jive with my palate.

24. TKBC

TKBC Initiate (1) Jul 2, 2018

I've seen Enigma mentioned once. Can anybody elaborate on them? I've got some in the freezer but haven't been able to brew something up yet.

MrOH likes this.
  25. MrOH

Also, has anyone tried Loral? Need something noble-like for saisons, and it sounds interesting.

26. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,372) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

The beer I made w. Loral had an odd cedar aroma and taste when young. After some time that faded and the noble character came to the front. The beer was interesting both ways.

chavinparty and MrOH like this.
  27. NorCalKid

The only experience I have with them were in a blend so... but from of what I’ve read and experienced were that they impart lemon/herbal qualities and if used heavily the lemon aspect comes through prominently. I posted this subject not to long ago if ya look it up.

MrOH likes this.
  28. JackHorzempa

Premium

I do not have any homebrewing experience with Loral but I recently discussed in a NBS thread the recent batch of Sierra Nevada Kolsch which featured some Loral as a finishing hop and for my palate this hop provided a citrus (lemon-like) aroma/flavor.

You can read more here: https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/new-beer-sunday-week-694.577051/#post-6055530

Cheers!

MrOH likes this.
  29. wasatchback

To me the fruity quality it has doesn’t resemble any other hop, it’s really hard to describe. It can be really DANK to.

MrOH and TKBC like this.
  30. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,732) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Premium

I used this in 2-3 beers in 2017. I agree with you

31. wasatchback

To me Loral is very synthetic lemon smelling, I don’t enjoy it all that much personally.

chavinparty likes this.
  32. Prep8611

Loral was pretty uninteresting which is what I’m looking for in some saisons and American lagers sonthats What I used it for... would not buy again unless dirt cheap.

MrOH likes this.
  33. MrOH

So, from the sounds of things, skip Loral and go with and old tried and true like Crystal?

34. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,372) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

OK. Mine were free samples. Had to try them.

Prep8611 likes this.
  35. makisupapolice14

makisupapolice14 Initiate (195) Jun 5, 2005 New York

Anyone use eureka? Got a free few oz at my last Homebrew club meeting

36. MrOH

I have 2oz that I'm gonna use up with some Amarillo and Simcoe at some point. I get kinda confused with the "E" hops, because I seem to remember one changed names? Coulda just been a dream I had...

37. wasatchback

I’ve had a few single hop Eureka beers. They were Very dank, but also a good mix of pine and fruit (can’t remember the specific fruit). I actually really enjoyed the beers I’ve had that featured it. Chinook without the earthiness is what I thought.

makisupapolice14 likes this.
  38. JackHorzempa

Premium

I think you are referring to Equinox which is now being called Ekuanot.

I have brewed a few batches of beers which featured Equinox/Ekuanot hops and I am a BIG fan of this hop variety. It yields a very complex and pleasing hop aroma/flavor profile. It is almost like three hops varieties in one.

Cheers!

MrOH likes this.
  39. NGennaroL777

NGennaroL777 Initiate (93) Aug 15, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I made an absolutely killer true-to-style Belgian Saison using only Belgian & German malts, but I utilized the Jarrylo hop at about 2oz and it gave the beer this phenomenal banana flavor that balanced out w/ the pepper from the yeast really well. It was a fan favorite.

40. chavinparty

chavinparty Initiate (117) Jan 4, 2015 New Hampshire

Love it. But I got onion from the last batch I brewed with it