Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Newport Storm Promo Questionable?

Discussion in 'New England' started by LeRose, Oct 23, 2013.

1. LeRose

Subscriber

I noticed this on Facebook last night but the posting has changed from the original, which is still on the web site:

http://www.newportstorm.com/view_event.php?id=348

I am not sure how I feel about this, but it seems to sort of promote over-consumption? Maybe I am just being overly sensitive, but I can see where something like this could easily get out of hand. It at least pushes quantity - a ticket for each drink at a handful of different places. It does say total drink tix wins the game tickets - not visiting every establishment and having one drink. And what is the liability for one of the bars should anyone do anything incredibly stupid? I guess if you are with a group of non-baseball fans that wouldn't have so much potential for someone going overboard.

Really don't know - I'm no Boy Scout, but I certainly have some prudish thoughts about this one. I think it is at least a bit questionable unless I am missing something obvious.

2. Bananapwn

It says the tickets are on specially marked cups. So, it sounds like not necesarily one ticket per drink, you have to be lucky to get the ticket with your drink? That seems to make it a bit better, but I would still think that bars would be wary of this. Maybe that is just because we are both from MA where we can't even have happy hour.

I can't see FB here at work, what did they change it to?

3. LeRose

Subscriber

It's a more "generic" looking page now - not the direct replica of the CEB web page, but I stand corrected.

It does say the same thing - one beer/one rum gets you a ticket, but it is just a plain poster now. They took the Halloween stuff away, but I guess it could have been re-posted altogether. I might not have gone back far enough.

It just strikes me as a risky proposition somehow.

4. fineout

yeah when i first read it that it seemed kinda weird, but whatever 3$ for their pumpkin beer is an awesome deal!

5. Jnorton00

About 5-6 years ago bar in worcester had 25 cent miller high lifes for a few nights and that promoted some serious over consumption. A handful of us went through at least 4 cases the first night of the promo.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe