Next Freetail release idea?

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by jl28r1, May 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jl28r1

jl28r1 Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2011 Texas

How would everyone think about somehow incorporating an in person BIF with the next release? I have a few ideas that might make it fun/cool but I will keep them to myself for now. I would be OK getting it organized if there is any interest but I'm sure I would need some help (Brad, I'm looking at you :rolleyes:).

Thoughts?

2. bccocx

bccocx Devotee (428) Jan 13, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

I think that would be a great idea. I'd love to participate.

3. jbeezification

jbeezification Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2012 Texas

You guys scare me. Mainly my wallet but still.

Clonies720 and mrkmrk like this.
  4. mattisloco

mattisloco Devotee (413) Feb 13, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

Freetail Bif? Hell ya!

I popped my Freetail release cherry yesterday. So what are the other releases I should expect? I know I already planned to go to La Muerta Nov 2nd but I was told of a sour release weekend, when is that?

5. jl28r1

If..... there is a sour release, it is the sours that determine when that happens.

By the way, I am not affiliated with Freetail in any way other than being a "fanboy" as someone pointed out in another thread. ;)

jamescain, scullycain and mattisloco like this.
  6. mattisloco

Beer Trader

So really the only other scheduled release for this year is La Muerta?

7. jl28r1

I think so, the other releases usually just pop up here and there but I could be wrong.

8. kmello69

kmello69 Defender (618) Nov 27, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

Hoping a raspberry Ananke release pops up some time....... :)

9. cfh64

cfh64 Devotee (482) Aug 16, 2005 Texas
    Beer Trader

You got it buddy. If and/or when you decide to get it going, let me know and I'll help ya out as much as I can.

Great seeing everyone again and meeting many new people. As always I had a blast.

jl28r1 likes this.
  10. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

11. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Disciple (370) Jan 20, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

12. illy0sis

illy0sis Aspirant (257) Dec 12, 2012 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I'd join in :)

13. Clonies720

Clonies720 Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2012 Texas

14. jl28r1

Not signing anyone up yet, just getting a feel for if we could get it done. Looks good so far.

15. HookemHops13

HookemHops13 Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2013 Texas

What is a BIF?

16. kmello69

Beer Trader

Beer It Forward.

There are multiple types, but basically a big trade.

There used to be a sheet that explained BIFs, LIFs, etc. but I can't find it. Anyone know where it went?

17. bentwookie

bentwookie Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2008 Texas

Would be into this.

18. cfh64

cfh64 Devotee (482) Aug 16, 2005 Texas
    Beer Trader

19. kmello69

Beer Trader

cfh64 likes this.
  20. miikezombie

miikezombie Aspirant (247) Aug 13, 2010 Texas

That's ok since that person is a Jester King fanboy. And for those playing at home that person is the only one I have legitimately blocked.

21. jl28r1

Be nice!!!!!

22. miikezombie

Never!!!!!

This would be a cool idea. I probably can't be involved though due to the unpredictable nature of my job.

23. mattisloco

Beer Trader

Oh get in. If things fall through last minute I gotcha.

24. kmello69

Beer Trader

And now I want to find that thread. Shit.

25. Clonies720

I realized that FYI. Just wanted to signify my interest in doing this. BTW, I didn't get to meet you. But I'll be heading back down in about 2-3 weeks. Would love to meet you there at Freetail and hang around SA for the day.

26. miikezombie

No need. That person isn't worth the effort.

We will see. I already know I am out of commission, with no days off, from mid September till around Thanksgiving.

27. FreetailBrewing

FreetailBrewing Initiate (150) Jun 23, 2007 Texas

We did Super Mega Awesome Bottle Release day last September with 4 sours + RealTail collab, hope to do something similar this year too (date determined by when the beer is ready).

I'd love to hear everyone's input on how to make these go smoother also. I think this one went pretty well all things considered but there is always room to improve.

About bottle share ending at 11 - I hope you guys understand this. Folks there for the bottle share/release aren't our only customers, so when we open we need to prep the patio for other patrons to enjoy as well, and I think when we open is a good time to transition (we also can't afford to set a precident of our place being BYOB anytime, we are still a business after all).

Sorry to kinda hijack the tread, but I thought this would be good to get feedback on how to improve.

Thanks everyone for coming out, you're awesome!

Scott

28. starkmarvelo

Beer Trader

There were sober people at 11 to remember?!

29. Grendle

Grendle Initiate (193) Apr 11, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

I'm interested...

30. Clonies720

Totally understand and respect this. I didn't have much of a problem with it, although I'll admit that I and a few others were still popping bottles, albeit we stayed at 2 tables so as not to take up a bunch of other spaces with bottles.

Personal feedback: I thought the numbered tickets thing was a good idea, but perhaps the sale of Ananke should be done in blocks then. i.e. Ticket holders #1-25 line up to buy their allotments first. Tickets 26-50 queue up after that. etc. etc. So that way people don't have to stand in a line that hardly moves at all. This would also allow us to be seated at a table, order food, and go grab our beer when it's our turn. I ordered food, it arrived when I was in line, so I had 2 other guys I split the food with, go mule me some pizza while I kept our spot in line. It would have been nicer to sit down for a bit longer and enjoy the food & atmosphere.

I'm not quite sure what would be the best way to handle the sale of leftover Ananke after that. Perhaps only a lottery system would have been "fair" after that?

It would also be nice if there was a way to discourage mules. Of course I believe there will always be people trying to game the system no matter what, so perhaps there's nothing that can/should really be done.

That's my constructive criticism/opinion. :) As I posted in the Ananke 2013 thread, I loved the Meathead pizza and crab-stuffed mushrooms. The service was excellent considering how busy y'all were, and I will definitely make the drive down from Houston soon to come back.

P.S. please bottle Peche'cus. I will pay you. ;) hehe. Get it?

rainerschuhsler and mrkmrk like this.
  31. starkmarvelo

Beer Trader

I say this every time I email him, post on Facebook, Instagram...I even offered to start a petition on Whitehouse.gov

32. Clonies720

Do it. This is serious bidness.

rainerschuhsler likes this.
  33. starkmarvelo

Beer Trader

I'll get on it in the morning.

34. Clonies720

I'm calling Jesse Jackson and we gonna march on Freetail. :mad:

35. jl28r1

Scott,
    Jump in any time you want, these amazing shares and releases would not be possible without you and the gang at Freetail. I hope you gave your servers a bonus check for putting up with all of us! ;-)

mrkmrk likes this.
  36. miikezombie

How can this even be done? I ended up with 4 bottles. If my gf showed up we would have had 8. My gf isn't a beer geek, but she loves sours. My question is, how can someone determine who is a mule and who is not? Maybe sell event tickets, something I am completely against, ala Dark Lord Day.

The bigger problem is people pretrading beer before a bottle limit is even put in place. I'm not picking on you on this, because a ton of people told me they needed over a case. I think this past Saturday proved Freetail bottle releases are must attend events if you are a craft beer fan in Texas.

rainerschuhsler and starkmarvelo like this.
  37. miikezombie

How about a couple of breakfast style pizzas available only on bottle release days? I think you are leaving money on the table not offering a few breakfast options for all the drunk asses.

blatherbeard and cfh64 like this.
  38. Clonies720

Right. Which is why I said it might be nice...lol you must answer, what style of beer is Ananke at the door.

Personally, I was able to secure 9 bottles through some on the spot trading. 1 bottle is going towards a local who couldn't go, and a small few of the rest will go towards securing some nice bottles that will all be shared with other BA's anyways. Sure I would have liked to get more, but I didn't setup a bunch of pre trades maybe like other people did.

39. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Devotee (433) Apr 26, 2007 Texas

Freetail tried something similar (free tickets distributed via email, had to be a subscriber to get one), and it was very successful. Though it was for the 90 bottle-count BBA La Muerta, and I believe only 50 or so ticket-holders showed up. It could hypothetically work on a larger scale, and it would definitely cut back on the mule factor. Though I know I'm not the only person whose wife came along as a genuine Ananke fanatic, not a mule.

40. miikezombie

And then I set up 10 email accounts and bring 10 friends. Yes I think I might have 10 friends. Stop laughing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.

Learn More
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.

Learn More
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Learn More