NH & Boston Question

Discussion in 'New England' started by nas4atu, Jul 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nas4atu

nas4atu Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2011 North Carolina

Hey guys,
    So if there is another post about this somewhere, please feel free to just redirect me there, but I couldn't find one. So I will be driving up to NH (from NC) and will be staying in Nashua for a about a week starting Aug 17th. I'll be spending a few nights in Boston as well as making my way out towards Hampton Beach and Portsmith. My main question is this: What beers should I be keeping an eye out for (both locally and nationally) while in NH, and then as well as in Boston. Any particular breweries to hit while in Boston or out towards the beach in NH? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for future responses!

Nas4atu

2. mklisz

mklisz Pooh-Bah (1,911) Dec 31, 2010 New Hampshire
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

In NH, Stoneface and From the Barrel are your best options for hoppy brews. Kelsen is another good local brewery but in my opinion they excel in darker beers more than hoppy ones.

Nashua has a couple good bottle shops in The Beer Store and Craft Beer Cellar. The Whole Foods on 101A has a bar with lots of reasonably priced drafts, about 30 I believe.

In Boston I would recommend the usuals: Trillium, Night Shift, Cambridge Brewing, Lord Hobo, etc. Plenty of threads on Boston beer, see: http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/visiting-boston-guide-summer-14-edition.182136/

The NH seacoast has options all over the place from Smuttynose's new brewery and restaurant in Hampton, Portsmouth Brewery, Earth Eagle, Stoneface in the greater Portsmouth area, and Tributary in Kittery, ME right across the border. I'd also recommend Black Birch in Kittery for a great taplist and awesome food.

#2 mklisz, Jul 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
    FrankLloydMike, OffHeGoes and Davl22 like this.
  3. nas4atu

nas4atu Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2011 North Carolina

Thanks for the info!! How easy are those hoppy brews to come by in Nashua? Are there any special releases happening that week by any chance?

4. mklisz

mklisz Pooh-Bah (1,911) Dec 31, 2010 New Hampshire
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Stoneface shouldn't be too hard to find, FtB is hit or miss depending on the week.
    Not sure about any releases that week.

nas4atu likes this.
  5. RichD

RichD Pooh-Bah (2,182) Mar 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Does Stoneface make it to Hampton/ Hampton Falls? I'll be up at a campground on Saturday and would love to pick up some Stoneface hops.

6. Auror

Auror Pooh-Bah (1,641) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah

Nailed it. I will add Garrison City Beerworks for NH hoppy goodness. Brewery is in the Seacoast area as well if you're heading out that way.

Since you mentioned Kelsen and From the Barrel, nas4atu might consider heading up to the Londonderry/Derry area (about ~25 minutes from Nashua) for the cluster of breweries there, including Kelsen, From the Barrel, Rockingham, 603, and Moonlight Meadery.

Stoneface bottles are available throughout the state.

#6 Auror, Jul 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
    jhavs and RichD like this.
  7. DoctorD

DoctorD Initiate (0) May 20, 2015 Maine
    Trader

I have seen Stoneface at Village Market on Route 1 in Hampton Falls. OK store but prices are high. About 10 minutes further up Route 1 in North Hampton is Prost, which is a MUCH better store (just won an award as Portsmouth's best beer store) and they have a much better selection and sell singles. They also carry crowlers from Garrison which you should consider.

Yesterday I saw that Cigarette City at exit 1 in Seabrook has a shelf full of Stoneface IPA, APA, and Rye for $4.99 each. If you are driving up 95 this is very convenient and it will save you the toll in Hampton. But if you have an extra half hour, just drive up to the brewery itself on Route 16 - it is less than 5 minutes off of 95 and directly on the exit so it is fast on and off. Free samples and fresh bottles.

RichD likes this.
  8. rocksteady726

rocksteady726 Initiate (0) Jul 17, 2007 Massachusetts

Keep your eyes peeled for Deciduous when you are in the seacoast area. Not sure if their beers will be packaged yet, but I believe their keg contracts are being filled in the Portsmouth area.

mpyoung215 likes this.
  9. RichD

RichD Pooh-Bah (2,182) Mar 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Thanks! Looks like I pass Cigarette City on my way to Tidewater Campground. I might even be able to convince my lady to shoot up to Prost (looks like LL Bean is in the same plaza or across the street.) I've also been to Village Market before and while I did see some nice stuff, they did seem a bit pricey.

10. MVP09

MVP09 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2012 Massachusetts

If your on NH seacoast your close enough to hit some ME seacoast spots. York and Kittery have several great spots. Just search places in this site.

11. DoctorD

DoctorD Initiate (0) May 20, 2015 Maine
    Trader

Prost is directly across Route 1 from the Beans outlet - they are in the strip mall with the post office. The guys there are knowledgeable and more than happy to geek out and provide suggestions. if you want Not a lot of cold stuff but next to Beans is a Shaw's supermarket where you can pick up some ice if you need it.

Be aware Cigarette City is a massive macrobrew place but they do have one solid aisle of craft beers and I have found their prices to be the best around - I picked up a 6 pack of Left Hand Milk Stout nitro for $9.99 and a mixed 12 pack of Otter Creek for $11.99. But watch the dates - I saw some FW Double Jack on the shelf that was dated Oct 2014.

RichD likes this.
  12. jhavs

jhavs Grand Pooh-Bah (3,551) Apr 16, 2015 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Stoneface bottles of IPA and APA are available in most stores at almost all times. They have some other offerings that are brewery only in growlers and bottles, their facebook page lists what is available. Had a blonde, porter, red rye last Friday when I was there.

Earth Eagle Brewings in Portsmouth is a great little place with interesting brews. Arthur II is a Gruit brewed with grill rhubarb that adds an interesting bitterness and tartness to the brew.

Previous people mentioned the Kittery options, that is very close to Portsmouth and I agree worth the trip. Could open yourself up to heading a bit further and hitting Banded Horn in Biddeford, then Bissell/allagash/foundation/Austin street all in one industrial complex in Portland.

13. Faxmesomehalibut

Faxmesomehalibut Initiate (0) May 22, 2014 New Hampshire
    Trader

Kegs are definitely being sent out to several accounts in the seacoast and a few places still have Foreward pouring. Dave posted that the berliner might be ready soon. The tasting room opening is scheduled for 8/1.

14. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe Initiate (0) May 23, 2015 Massachusetts

While you're in Boston, definitely go to Trillium... very easy to get to, right next to our big train hub South Station. Night Shift is well, well, well worth a trip, too. Not as accessible, but if you're driving it's pretty easy to get there. Maybe head into Kendall and go to Meadhall for some good stuff on tap and pretty decent food. Also (restaurant/bar suggestion) go to The Salty Pig in Back Bay. Always have good Maine Beer stuff on tap as well as other great brews, and the food is incredible.

15. MotherofMimi

MotherofMimi Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2015 Massachusetts

Hey, try Trillium in Everett right outside of Boston, stoneface which is close to NH, TREEHOUSE brewery in Monson MA, if you want to do a meetup, there in a brewery in Hudson MA, called Medusa, I live right down the street and the beer is legit!! Cheers, good luck!

16. bring

bring Zealot (686) Aug 17, 2005 Greenland
    Trader

Umm, Trillium is in ft point in Boston; maybe you mean Night Shift in Everett?

17. smanson56

smanson56 Pooh-Bah (2,008) Feb 15, 2014 New Hampshire
    Pooh-Bah Deactivated

Will second all great things about Garrison Beer Works in Dover they have some of the best hoppy beers in NH and are also installing a new canning line as I write this so there should cans of there beers available when you are here.

JakerLou likes this.
  18. oldbean

oldbean Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

List of priorities in Boston:

1. Trillium

(gaping chasm)
    (mountain range)
    (vast tracts of uninhabitable wasteland)
    ([​IMG] )

2. Other Boston beer destinations

Hiwattowner and JakerLou like this.
  19. JakerLou

JakerLou Pooh-Bah (1,992) Jan 6, 2013 New Hampshire
    Pooh-Bah Society

Agreed. Hey even if the canning line isn't installed they have 32 ounce crowlers, a.k.a. giant cans :-).

20. benbking

benbking Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2009 Rhode Island

Smuttynose is worth a visit imo. Let me know if you want an IP trade while you are in town

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.