Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99! (Limited time offer, US delivery only)

Night Shift Barrel Society 2015

Discussion in 'New England' started by JGam115, Oct 1, 2014.

1. JGam115

JGam115 Disciple (359) Apr 8, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

I did a couple searches, but couldn't find any other information.

I showed restraint last year when the Barrel Society memberships went up for sale, and again when the Sour Futures program was announced. At the time, it was a combination of not getting up to the Boston area coupled with the newness of Night Shift's beers to me personally.

Well the time has come when Barrel Society memberships open up and I'm once again contemplating signing up. Would current Society members give their 2cents on why they joined/renewed and some thoughts about how the membership worked out for you?

Most of my friends down here have been really impressed with their sours, wild ales and IPAs. Plus the expansion they're going through and will go through in 2015 is promising in my eyes.

2. AdamsDTD

AdamsDTD Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2011 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I was part of the Society during the first year. I had some mixed feelings about the experience and decided to not renew for 2014. NS did a great job with the exclusivity factor, but for the most part the beers were just OK. There were a few that I really enjoyed, and a few that were disappointments. The other perks were nice, but ultimately I bought in for beers that wouldn't be available to me otherwise. While I thought about rejoining, I decided that the investment was just too much for beers that (for later releases) I wouldn't see until the following November/December.

I will say that I think they've done a better job of offering different levels of membership to make it more affordable if you only want one bottle. I also like that they started doing a "members only" draft line at the brewery - something they didn't have in 2013. I'm considering joining again for 2015 but haven't decided as of yet. $150 is a lot to drop all at once for 7 beers, a t shirt, and glassware (and some other perks) that you won't see until at least January. I know the point is to front them the money up front for their future projects, but it would be great if they had a 3-4 installment payment plan that was automatically billed to your card throughout the membership.

3. jbart

jbart Initiate (179) Oct 2, 2004 Massachusetts

I've been in the Barrel Society both years. The Barrel Society beers this year have been awesome, and definitely among the best beers Night Shift released this year. The offerings were definitely improved over the first year. To me, everything the first year was at least good or better, but this year they've been top notch all around. Easy decision to renew for me.

masterob8 likes this.
  4. JGam115

Beer Trader

Thanks @AdamsDTD and @jbart for the comments. Echoing your posts, I've read in a few other threads that as time passes and batches get brewed, consistency and quality look to be heading in the right direction.

I see you're both in MA and may be sharing a local's perspective. Any non-local's out there have a view?

5. rhino88888888

rhino88888888 Initiate (169) Dec 12, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I joined the society in 2014 and just renewed for 2015. I split a 2-bottle membership with a friend who is not local. I'm a huge fan of the NS Weiss series but I feel like the Society beers have been a mixed bag. There are some that I've really loved (Aurora) and some that have been a little off base (Renaissance).

I live a short drive away from Night Shift and stop by every couple of weeks so the perks are a big selling point for me. The exclusive tap line often has variations on the Society beers (e.g., Pre-Renaissance) or other high gravity beers that aren't released to the public. And the ability to purchase xtra bottles of Society beers (including left overs from the previous years) is nice. If I wasn't local I'm not sure it would be worth it to me.

6. rjp217

rjp217 Meyvn (1,250) Apr 24, 2012 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Passing this year. Personally I would like to see more consistency before I shell that out. It's a cool concept and I think they're getting better from year to year but there's just too much up and down for me to put out that kind of cash without knowing what I am getting in too.

Kurmaraja, bcoyle and TWStandley like this.
  7. JGam115

Beer Trader

Looks like even if you wanted to sign up, you can't. HTTP 500 and Database errors for days....

8. kingjohnh

kingjohnh Zealot (556) Nov 3, 2009 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

Looks like the memberships are all gone???

9. JGam115

Beer Trader

I sincerely hope not. Otherwise they only lasted a few seconds....

I was looking forward to being a Conoisseur. I'll keep checking it out in case it really is website issues.

10. kingjohnh

Beer Trader

I made it to the page to order and it said memberships were out of stock. Hopefully an error, but not looking good.

11. rknrll

rknrll Initiate (37) Jul 13, 2009 Massachusetts

Probably loading a cached page, as it said "out of stock" before they were to go on sale.

12. jbart

jbart Initiate (179) Oct 2, 2004 Massachusetts

Via email just now:
    2015 Barrel Society: Ya'll Crashed
    Our Website!

Hello,

Anyone able to access our website? Yeahhh, us neither. Apparently so many of you are trying to get Barrel Society memberships that our website crashed! Just so everyone knows - no sign-ups have gone through at all today so far, so nobody's missing out. We're fixing the issue now, which requires us to reboot our server. Give us 30-45 minutes to get this solved and please try again. Apologies for the hassle, and thanks for all the [attempted] support!

- The Night Shift Team

13. JGam115

Beer Trader

Well, I got all the way through and completed the PayPal transaction. No email confirmation yet, but I suspect it'll be a little while before that gets resolved.

14. masterob8

masterob8 Initiate (187) Oct 6, 2009 Massachusetts

Sorry to all who have been struggling to purchase a membership. We upgraded our hosting services prior to the release but I guess we didn't go big enough. Working hard on getting the site back up and running.

Thanks for your patience and more importantly thanks for your support!

Rob

JGam115 likes this.
  15. Hophead717

Hophead717 Zealot (572) Oct 21, 2011 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Got it!

masterob8 likes this.
  16. masterob8

We upgraded the server and it appears to me working now. Cheers all!

rhino88888888 likes this.
  17. JGam115

Beer Trader

Thanks Rob! I'm guessing if I got a confirmation screen in PayPal and the site, I should be good to go. Will email confirmations be going out later?

18. emannths

emannths Initiate (193) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

Don't feel bad. By now, I think BAs expect unscheduled downtime. :wink:

19. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Aspirant (252) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Thanks. I was laughing when the site went down right at sale time. Good for you guys. Got my order in a few minutes ago.

masterob8 likes this.
  20. masterob8

You should be good. It seems the server is a slowly batching up confirmations and sending them out. If you don't get one by tomorrow shoot us an email and we can look into it.

21. kingjohnh

Beer Trader

I am in need of a trustee for the Night Shift Barrel Society. Can offer tasty New Mexico beers, such as La Cumbre Elevated IPA and Project Dank. Please back channel me if you can help out.

John

22. MistyS

MistyS Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2013 Massachusetts

This will be my first year as a Barrel Society Member. I'm stoked. Will report back!

masterob8 likes this.
  23. JGam115

Beer Trader

Yep - got my PayPal email a little earlier. Thanks Rob!

masterob8 likes this.
  24. GiantCogs

GiantCogs Initiate (157) Oct 25, 2012 Massachusetts

I did this for 2014 and it has been great so far and worth the money. I'm not in the position to do it again for 2015, but I encourage others who can to do so.

25. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (4,007) Sep 17, 2005 Maine
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

I am a member for both 2013 and 2014.
    I've enjoyed 2014 more than 2013.
    I will renew for 2015, even though it's a pain in the ass to pick up the beers

26. DonFrap

DonFrap Zealot (536) Feb 27, 2011 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I'm trusteeing for a few people, still have room for a few more if anyone is in need. All I ask is for a shipper and a label, can pick up once or 7 times up to you!

Shoot me a message if in need.

27. cbeer88

cbeer88 Crusader (719) Sep 5, 2007 Massachusetts

I did it in 2013 and 2014, and renewed for 2015.

As a brewery I think they are still getting their sea legs, but they tend to do everything the right way. They experiment as much as anybody out there, and their beers are rarely bad, and certainly never boring. The tap room is great, they throw solid events, and the price is reasonable for what you get. And not that I'd put an extremely high price tag on this, but you are helping them build the brewery and get better with your membership money.

My only gripe is I don't get to Everett enough to take advantage of the taproom and special line for society members. If you live north of the city, that would be a much more valuable perk.

If you're on the fence I would say just start with the 1 bottle and see what you think. It's not a major commitment, and they frequently have extras of some of the bottles for sale.

masterob8 likes this.
  28. dubdrop

dubdrop Disciple (353) Aug 6, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Love the barrel society. Did it this past year and signed up again for 2015. My only gripe, and this is minor, is that they put the extra bottles up for sale before you can sample the beer. So you really can't base your extra bottle purchases on anything other than descriptions. I love the special tap line since I get to the brewery every 2-3 weeks, but I could see why others wouldn't be as thrilled about that if they don't go to the brewery on a regular basis. But if you're near enough to Everett, it's a great feature. Loved the Imperial Stout that they had on a few weeks ago that was neither a barrel society beer nor a regular release - just left over from an Art that what wasn't barrel aged.

masterob8 likes this.
  29. codasnap52

codasnap52 Aspirant (258) Jan 24, 2008 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I split the connoisseur level with a buddy last year an overall have enjoyed what I've gotten for my $$. I live in CT and only get up to Night Shift 2-3 times per year, so the draft line wasn't a major selling point. Still I went and split the connoisseur level for 2015 with my brother and we are pumped to see what they pump out year #3. I've dug their beers thus far and they have put out some solid product.

Of note, they had a Barrel Society party year 1 but not for the 2014 society members. They are bringing it back this year, which should be a nice little extra if I can make it up for the event.

masterob8 and Bizoneill like this.
  30. Woody1180

Woody1180 Aspirant (204) Sep 18, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

The last email to members (9/8/14) mentioned the party:

"Plus, we're planning another end-of-year party for all members - dates and details soon!"

masterob8 likes this.
  31. cbeer88

cbeer88 Crusader (719) Sep 5, 2007 Massachusetts

The end of year party last year was pretty awesome. It should only be better with the new space.

32. Bisco80

Bisco80 Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2012 Pennsylvania

I am in PA and would love to take part if anyone is interested in being a trustee for me. PM me and we can chat. Thanks in advance.

33. Ericness

Ericness Initiate (186) Nov 21, 2012 Massachusetts

I am in the 2014 society and have been pretty impressed so far (I'm in at the aficioado level). The beers have all been very good to excellent and the exclusive line in the taproom gives me a great reason to drop in every couple of weeks for a few beers since there always is something good and innovative going on. The Barrel Society (in my opinion at least) gives you the very of best that.

Pretty much a seconding of what @dubdrop said.

34. Elivictus

Elivictus Initiate (0) Aug 18, 2011 Pennsylvania
    ¬°Bad Trader! Beer Trader

I signed up in December and have still not received any sort of confirmation email.

35. NickDrista

NickDrista Initiate (83) Mar 14, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I tweeted at them and they said emails are coming soon and could be as early as today for reserve members....

RyanMcFly1985 likes this.
  36. masterob8

It has taken us a few days to compile the list of members. But first email should go out today or tomorrow to officially welcome everyone. The first beer release is still a bit down the road but we are now ordering the swag (t-shirts, hoodies, and glassware). 2015 members can also now take advantage of the members only draft line. Currently, it is pouring the final release of 2014, Pluto. Pluto is a sour ale aged on raspberries and is pretty damn tasty.

Thanks all for your support! We are excited to bring out some awesome beers this year for the members!

37. skinny_mcginley

skinny_mcginley Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

So if I head down Wednesday I can get in on some Pluto even though I'm only in the 2015 barrel society? That would kick ass. Also do you do growler fills for the barrel society beers on tap?

38. masterob8

Yes, 2015 members can now drink from the tap. Pluto should be on for a bit. The members only line will pour a mix of past Barrel Society beers, cellared kegs of regular beers (meaning non-barrel society beers), and small one offs/variants. We hardly ever have a large enough quantity to consider offering the beers in growlers. So for now they are only available as drafts pours to be enjoyed in the taproom. Enjoy!

bobbypaulson and skinny_mcginley like this.
  39. NickDrista

NickDrista Initiate (83) Mar 14, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

1st email just came out...like 5 seconds ago..lol

40. skinny_mcginley

skinny_mcginley Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Can anybody that was in the 2014 BS give me a quick rundown of the beers that were released last year and how they were. I'm trying to figure out what I would want to buy when we are allowed to purchase those. Thanks in advance.

NickDrista likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.