Night Shift Barrel Society 2015

Discussion in 'New England' started by JGam115, Oct 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robNSB

robNSB Zealot (593) Oct 6, 2009 Massachusetts

That is a small batch beer with only 4 barrels. The thought was to attempt some sort of Flanders Bruin/oud bruin. No eta on when that will be ready.

benbking and Faxmesomehalibut like this.
  2. bostonwolf

bostonwolf Zealot (656) Jan 20, 2015 Massachusetts

When does membership usually come due? I missed the opportunity last year and want to jump on it this year if I can.

3. robNSB

Memberships will go on sale around October for 2016 beers. Cheers!

kapkenobi and Gsulliv2 like this.
  4. stephenjmoore

stephenjmoore Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2011 Maryland

For those who have not checked their e-mail yet:

We've got Release #3 in our sights. Introducing: Caravaggio, a double-mash stout aged in fresh bourbon barrels. Like Caravaggio's paintings, this beer is dark, intense, and dramatic. It sips with powerful notes of chocolate, smoke, and roast, finishing with sweet, coffee flavors.

JakerLou, Rysk22, Aaron58 and 2 others like this.
  5. Rysk22

Rysk22 Savant (1,228) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Sounds unreal. Is there a membership for those who don't enjoy sours?

6. robNSB

Not at this time. We try to do a mix of non-sour and sour barrel aged beers for the members. We also have throughout the year releases of non-sour barrel aged beers. Next week we have the release of Apple Brandy Barrel Aged Lechedor which is tasting really good. Small release of only 250 bottles for next Wednesday the 15th (which is also a Whirlpool & Santilli canning day). Cheers!

rhino88888888 and Lamnic like this.
  7. Gsulliv2

Gsulliv2 Crusader (491) Dec 9, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Gahh!!! That sounds amazing but I'm out of town til Friday. Any chance any makes it until then?!

8. robNSB

It's tough to predict. We have sold that many bottles in a single release evening but who knows with the summer and people being on vacation.

bostonwolf likes this.
  9. Lamnic

Lamnic Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2012 Connecticut

my god this sounds incredible

10. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Savant (1,222) Oct 20, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

Good Lord...I so wish this was a Barrel Society release.

meefmoff and stephenjmoore like this.
  11. skipjack17

skipjack17 Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2009 Massachusetts

Any idea of the limit for AB Lechedor?

12. robNSB

We do a bunch of "test" beers that are really small sizes to learn. This Lechedor is an example of that. It's only 2 oak barrels and we need 10 oak barrels for a barrel society release. So couldn't be for the members, sadly.

Hasn't been set in stone but will likely be 2 bottles per customer.

13. MarkF150

MarkF150 Zealot (675) Feb 9, 2009 Massachusetts

See you next Wed!!!

robNSB likes this.
  14. bostonwolf

bostonwolf Zealot (656) Jan 20, 2015 Massachusetts

I think I'm taking the 15th off. And it's payday, which could be very dangerous indeed.

robNSB likes this.
  15. DZachariah

DZachariah Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2014 Massachusetts

@masterob8 any inclination on price per bottle on the AB El Lechedor?

16. Davepoolesque

Davepoolesque Pooh-Bah (2,582) Aug 25, 2012 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I wonder what the difference between Darkling and Caravaggio are going to be. It will be interesting to compare these side by side. One being a limited release and one being Barrel Society.

kapkenobi and DZachariah like this.
  17. Woody1180

Woody1180 Zealot (542) Sep 18, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

I wonder how much Darkling is still even out there. I missed that release last year and keep hoping to see it on a Nightshift cellar special but doesnt look good at this point, i think its been a year since that release

18. Davepoolesque

Davepoolesque Pooh-Bah (2,582) Aug 25, 2012 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

It was released on 10/7. I went back and found the email. I was looking for the description of the Darkling to see how closely it matched Caravaggio. It basically sounds like the same beer. Darkling was real good, but if you could get it without being a part of the society, why bother joining the society. I guess for the price discount, $20 for Darkling vs. $15 for Caravaggio.

19. robNSB

It will be $16 a bottle.
    Not too much difference between the two beers. They are both made using the same double mash technique and have pretty similar grain bills. Caravaggio does have a small amount of smoked malt which adds in a nice layer of flavor.

We are hoping to have Darkling return this winter for the general public (along with more Bean Porter, and El Lechedor).

rhino88888888 likes this.
  20. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

They have sold society beers to the public on more than one occasion. Remaking an old society beer to sell to the society is not out of the question. Not sure why bother at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.