Night Shift Brewing (September 2016)

Discussion in 'New England' started by frekky, Sep 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frekky

frekky Disciple (326) Oct 31, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Night Shift Brewing
    http://www.nightshiftbrewing.com

On Tap
    http://www.nightshiftbrewing.com/on-tap
    Hours
    Monday-Saturday: 11-11pm
    Sunday: 11-6pm
    Upcoming Special Hours:
    9/17: 3-9pm, 9/23: 11-6pm, 9/26: 1-11pm

Prices at Night Shift:
    Whirlpool, Santilli, & Morph (and others) 4-Pk/16 oz cans -$14
    The 87 4-Pk/16 oz cans -$16
    various 750 ml bottle prices vary, but are typically in the $14-$20 range

Canning & Releases currently on the September calendar:
    9/6 Awake cans
    9/7 Santilli cans
    9/8 Morph cans
    9/9 Furth cans
    9/9 Simple Sour bottles

Some fun stuff happening at Night Shift this month
    9/9 -9/11 - Grand Opening of the Annex to celebrate:
    9/9 -Simple Sour bottles & '15 Bean Porter cellar drafts
    9/10-Barrel'd Sun cellar drafts
    9/11-Marilyn cellar drafts
    9/17-Village Fest
    9/24-Oktoberfest

Link is for a calendar of Night Shift events, canning and releases
    http://www.nightshiftbrewing.com/calendar

More to come as it is posted...

emount91 and AirBob like this.
  2. frekky

Beer Trader

Great time to visit the taproom. So much goodness on draft and the option to take-away a dozen or so beers in some combo of bottle/can/growler!
    I'll be filling my belly with pours of Morph and Ever Weisse all afternoon :cool:

Happy weekend all!

bostonwolf and AlcahueteJ like this.
  3. Piels25

Piels25 Aspirant (221) Dec 17, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

4. ManapuaMan

ManapuaMan Meyvn (1,010) Apr 3, 2015 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Thanks for the info! My interest is certainly piqued - I like the idea of one bottle to drink and another to cellar. Aging beers and comparing tastes is always a unique experience...unless the beer is not your thing to begin with, of course. Seems risky. BAs - any commentary on your respective experiences?

5. Rysk22

Rysk22 Initiate (198) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Has anyone had the Vic Secret One Hop This Time? Pictures looked good, wondering if the beer was?

6. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (473) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Had it today... Was ok, I don't care for that hop all that much. Good showcase of the hop if your a fan.

7. jjamilkowski

jjamilkowski Initiate (168) Mar 8, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I love the hall pass at Night Shift. Went today and there were ~10 people waiting to get in because they were at capacity. Was able to use the hall pass to get in and out with a couple 4 packs in just a couple minutes. Should add info about it to the monthly post.

DoctorD, rhino88888888 and frekky like this.
  8. infectedlobster

infectedlobster Aspirant (245) Apr 22, 2014 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

And the new annex taproom should (hopefully) render the hall pass obsolete!

rhino88888888 likes this.
  9. pgbond

pgbond Initiate (140) Dec 3, 2014 Massachusetts

I've enjoyed the NSBS over the last few years. Great beers in general, some much better than others but never any duds IMHO.
    The switch up from 7 beers to 4 is quite the change and I understand the Quality over Quantity premise. I've really enjoyed the variety the 7 beers have provided, but if the 4 beers are going to be absolutely stellar, then I can get on that train.
    The only question I have is... if it's one release per quarter should we expect that one beer on the NSBS Tap Line for the entire 3 month duration or are we going to get some variety there?

July2Nov likes this.
  10. frekky

Beer Trader

updated releases per the NSB Newsletter:
    9/7 Santilli cans
    9/8 Morph cans (Motueka, Topaz, and Simcoe hops)
    9/9 Furth cans
    9/9 Simple Sour bottles
    9/12 The 87 cans
    9/13 One Hop This Time: Citra cans
    9/24 Kehl cans
    9/24 Oldenburg cans

rhino88888888 likes this.
  11. Piels25

Beer Trader

12. rhino88888888

rhino88888888 Initiate (164) Dec 12, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I like it!

13. sgulner

sgulner Aspirant (201) Apr 16, 2011 Massachusetts

OH Vic is great, cloudy and juicy and definitely showcases VicSecret well. However, if you can still find OH Citra, that was amazing! Still, nothing can beat Whirlpool which is the BEST session APA on the market. Also, speaking of Tap Room, the Paws+Pints events held on Tuesday is great. So you're telling me I can sit outside, drink a beer, have some food, and pet some animals?!? Yes Please!

14. Swannyku

Swannyku Initiate (140) Jan 26, 2015 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Are there any botte shops around Fenway that sell Night Shift?

15. Rysk22

Rysk22 Initiate (198) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I believe Craft Beer Cellar Fenway will have all of your needs covered

16. Swannyku

Swannyku Initiate (140) Jan 26, 2015 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Awesome, thanks.

17. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Defender (611) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Did anyone go to "The Annex" this weekend?

18. Seacoastbrewer

Seacoastbrewer Aspirant (210) Jun 5, 2012 New Hampshire

Yeah - the additional room looked to double their retail floorspace. It definitely relieved some of the bottleneck at the main bar. They continue to be my favorite Boston area brewery.

bostonwolf, masterob8, frekky and 2 others like this.
  19. dcgunman

dcgunman Defender (620) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Stopped in Saturday evening. Line was 20 deep to get inside. Once in ordered flight of 4 ipa's. I thought the 4 were good.....but not as good as Trillium. And not good enough for me to bring back home to California. But the place was packed inside and out. I wish I had more time to try the other beers. Maybe I was expecting to much.

20. Stormfield

Stormfield Initiate (171) Feb 21, 2011 Massachusetts

Is the Simple Sour kettle soured? Haven't tried it. Night Shift website doesn't give too much backround on it.

#20 Stormfield, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  21. AlcahueteJ

Nice, I look forward to it. I'll be by there for the Oktoberfest party to check it out, and hopefully I can get into Bone Up this time as well.

I'm kind of surprised they're your favorite (I love Nightshift, I'm there at least once or twice a month) but you strike me as more of a lager guy. They brew lagers too obviously, but I think their bread and butter is in other styles.

Did you try Whirlpool? It's the best in its class in my opinion (session IPA/pale ale).

AirBob likes this.
  22. Piels25

Beer Trader

This was my first year in the barrel society after hearing many positive experiences from others. While there are still a few releases left for 2016, I've been underwhelmed thus far. The bottles have been good, not great, as someone mentioned above. I do not plan to renew my membership for 2017 and know a handful of other members that will not be enrolling next year either.

ManapuaMan likes this.
  23. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Aspirant (212) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Most of the 2015 bottle didn't even hit the good mark. I'd call this a win for what the BS has actually delivered over the years.

24. soheadyithurts

soheadyithurts Initiate (153) Jan 4, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Pretty sure it's kettle soured

25. rknrll

rknrll Initiate (36) Jul 13, 2009 Massachusetts

From June:

BAMF and AirBob like this.
  26. BucketsB

BucketsB Initiate (53) Mar 1, 2011 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I joined for the first time this year though I had probably half of the 2015 bottles with a friend. I think most this year have been very good but probably not great. There's a learning curve to barrel aging it seems and NSB's barrel aged beers have been on a steady upward trajectory.

It's pricy, but I'll be back in for 2017. Christmas will be here before you know it, so if you're exchanging $175 gifts with someone, it's not a bad thing to give or ask for. A good beer experience to share with the giver as they pop up throughout the year.

ManapuaMan likes this.
  27. Seacoastbrewer

You are correct - I do enjoy lagers more. In fact Pfaffenheck is my favorite beer they make. I'd prefer it with more malt character (maybe a different pils malt) but it's far and away better than anything else in Boston in my mind. Also Nightshift is closer to me than Jacks Abby which would be my preferred lager brewery outside of the additional travel time.

I think both Jacks Abby and Nightshift are top notch for me, for different reasons. But between the two I don't feel compelled to be a regular and many other Boston-area breweries. I'm sure Trillium army disagrees, but that's fine with me.

Am I missing any other great breweries in the area you can think of? I LOVED CBC's kellerbier earlier this summer, but I'm a real sucker for the style. Nightshift's keller was OK to my palate.

28. bostonwolf

bostonwolf Aspirant (212) Jan 20, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

If you like lagers and pils malts you should definitely be checking out Notch.

Leebo, DucRacer900 and AlcahueteJ like this.
  29. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Aspirant (212) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Idle hands.

Sheppard and rhino88888888 like this.
  30. frekky

Beer Trader

[​IMG]

Shout out to @masterob8 for being voted President of Mass Brewers Guild!

31. AlcahueteJ

Did you try Jack's Abby's Sunny Ridge this year? It was their best version yet, I'd put it above Pfaffenheck, but that's not a slight on Nightshift's Pils. I enjoyed that one thoroughly as well, it was much improved from the first time I had it (at last year's Oktoberfest I believe?).

I'm assuming here though that you don't consider Jack's Abby as being in Boston, unless I'm reading your post wrong.

Yes, Notch would be the first one that comes to mind. I love their Pils and dark lager (Cerne Pivo). Also, I had their Zwickel (I think) on tap at Redbones and it was stellar. They do great work overall at Notch, especially with lagers.

CBC is another one, when their Czech Pils is on, it's phenomenal. I think two years ago I had it on cask at Redbones, and it was awful. This year I had it on cask and it was just ok, also at Redbones. I don't believe this is a Redbones problem though (certainly could be, depending on who's watching the cask), as I've had good cask there before. I had it in the bottle last year and it was incredible. I feel like they do great work with lagers as well, although their Oktoberfest is a bit strong/sweet. Not poorly done, just too strong/sweet.

I feel like I've had some good lagers from these guys, but I tried their Brocktoberfest last year and it was just ok. I had it this year at the brewery and it felt more brown ale than Oktoberfest to me. Perhaps an off flavor or two in there as well (maybe some astringency?), it tasted very similar to Nightshift's attempt last year. This can be a hard style to nail in my opinion, and takes some time to tweak.

I'd like to give their Adelais a whirl though, I think that's another one I've had in the past, but I can't recall exactly. Either way, I've heard good things and I'm eager to try it. It wasn't on tap when I visited their brewery a couple weeks ago. Get the pretzel by the way, it's HUGE, and I believe it comes with garlic mashed potatoes to dip in. The bread was very very tasty.

Seacoastbrewer likes this.
  32. infectedlobster

Subscriber Beer Trader

The bottle says "mixed fermentation" under the NS logo.

33. Stormfield

Stormfield Initiate (171) Feb 21, 2011 Massachusetts

The label on the bottle? I don't have a bottle...

34. infectedlobster

Subscriber Beer Trader

See here.

Stormfield likes this.
  35. ncuba

ncuba Initiate (123) Dec 20, 2008 Massachusetts

If you ever hit up Jack's Abby I would visit Medusa as well. They have a pretty wide range of quality brews, including a handful of lagers, and the staff are great about sampling before growler buys. I really liked their Freudian Sip Vienna lager and am scheming for excuses to make another trip.

36. lic217

lic217 Crusader (780) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Von Trap, which is not in Boston but sold in Boston, makes 4 of the best lagers I have ever had.

FYI I have only had four of their beers...

37. Seacoastbrewer

I've been to Notch a couple weeks ago. I really enjoy what they are doing and their taproom is really something special. A seidla of their pils really works for me.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  38. Seacoastbrewer

After visiting the brewery, my girlfriend will now go out of her way to buy their Helles which is saying something for a person not normally seeking out beers. I can't wait for their Troesten, really enjoy that beer.

Sheppard, lic217 and AlcahueteJ like this.
  39. Seacoastbrewer

I haven't been since they were back in the old building next to Night Shift, thanks for the reminder. I would like to check them out again

40. ctkach

ctkach Initiate (147) Oct 23, 2007 Massachusetts
    Industry

If you are looking for lagers we currently have 3 of them on at the brewery;

Brocktoberfest - Octoberfest/Marzen (we haven't brewed this in two years due to our relocation)
    Emelyn - Zwickel
    Wood (5th Anniv) - Smoked Helles

And we'll be having our Oktoberfest/5th Anniv. Party on Saturday, 10/1 where we will feature 5 lagers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.