Night Shift Brewing

Discussion in 'New England' started by TheMattJones88, Mar 13, 2017.

1. matthewp

matthewp Initiate (153) Feb 27, 2015 Massachusetts

We aren't a very inclusive group, craft beer drinkers that is. Its nice to see breweries trying to expand into areas which aren't currently addressed by craft.

meefmoff likes this.
  2. Manfrombelmonty

Manfrombelmonty Aspirant (260) Sep 12, 2010 Massachusetts

Anyone bought the ever weisse 4 pk yet?

3. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (224) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts

I have a four pack in the fridge, will probably open one this weekend

4. Davl22

Davl22 Aspirant (225) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

Yeah I cracked one tonight. It's ok. I know they're mixed ferm but it has a kettle sour tang that I'm not a fan of. I've always wished they'd throw in brett with their weisse's to amp the complexity up a bit.

jlordi12 likes this.
  5. Pudgemaster

Pudgemaster Initiate (25) Jan 6, 2018 Massachusetts

Just picked up a 4pk of the everweisse. As good as it had always been but now the price point is right. 4 16oz cans for 14 vs one big format bottle for 14.

robNSB likes this.
  6. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Zealot (596) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

Trying the new Swell DIPA canned 3/29. Hazy? Check. OJ? Check. Nice beer for the style.

I’m certainly not a haze-bro IPA expert, but maybe this beer belongs with TH & Trill (though I’m sure their fanboys will set me straight as to why not).

Rysk22 and Noozle like this.
  7. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Champion (800) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

The only IPAs that I've enjoyed from them that were as good as Trillium's (for me personally), was the 7/1/16 Morph batch (I think), and I think the 2016 installment of Idaho 7.

Since then they haven't really tasted great to me (any of their IPAs). There's this distinct flavor I get with all of them that I don't enjoy, but it doesn't show up in their non-hoppy offerings. House yeast used in their IPAs maybe?

I've tasted it in a few other beers from other breweries too, but not many.

Ericness, meefmoff and soheadyithurts like this.
  8. Rysk22

Rysk22 Initiate (169) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts

I've had more NEIPAs than I'd like to admit... both Swell and the 87 are great representations of the style. Awesome beers that are readily available. If you put them in a Tree House can you would definitely trick some folks

9. JoeK89

JoeK89 Initiate (152) Mar 29, 2015 Massachusetts

Is Night Shift always a 50+ line outside the door on a Saturday evening? I was surprised when I showed up (and subsequently turned right around) to see this. Don't think there was a special event according to their IG. Google suggests these are the busiest hours but with so many other places to grab a beer in the area I can't comprehend waiting in that line. Am I missing something or is NS just a super popular spot on the weekend?

10. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (338) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

Sometimes, but usually the crowd runs a bit younger than that.

11. JoeK89

JoeK89 Initiate (152) Mar 29, 2015 Massachusetts

Thanks, problem solved.

12. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (521) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Premium

For whatever it's worth I think I know exactly what you mean. I love IPAs and I love Nightshift but I generally don't love Nightshift's IPAs. I've never been able to quite put my finger on why. I feel like I've had a bit more luck with the OHTT's than with the Morph's or Santilli/87 if that means anything.

Sorry Rob! :slight_smile:

bruindre and AlcahueteJ like this.
  13. AlcahueteJ

For the most part there's a huge line. But it moves quickly. Then again, once you get inside it can be tough to find a seat, especially if you have a flight.

I was also there Saturday (had to make a run to Best Buy). I walked over around 3:30ish and there was a line of about 30 people or so. So I headed home because I had other plans and just wanted to grab a quick flight to see what's new. If I didn't have other plans I would have stayed, because like I said, the line moves quick.

It's not really a Nightshift thing though. Getting into Lamplighter or Aeronaut can be just as hard, maybe even harder on a Saturday afternoon/night. Heck, this past summer I strolled right into the Trillium beer garden and then struck out at Harpoon, the line was huge and was NOT budging.

If it's a Saturday, I highly recommend Idle Hands. Wide variety of styles, a cozy tap room with seats outside too. No lines...busy, but you can easily snag a seat. Mystic is a decent bet too, but lately it's been fairly packed, barely an empty seat in the house...no lines though. I've only been to Down the Road once, but it was a Saturday afternoon and it had more of an Idle Hands level crowd to it, albeit with a much larger space.

I think I had a sip of someone's 87 recently (it's a new recipe I think), and it tasted good, for what "one sip" is worth.

I'm definitely partial to more of their non-hoppy stuff myself...but hey, chicks dig IPAs. :wink: Gotta sell what sells!

JoeK89 and meefmoff like this.
  14. matthewp

Personally I find Night Shifts IPA's very variable. Not from a consistency perspective but from a flavor profile. Santilli is a very solid IPA to me for a widely available beer. I haven't had 87 since the recipe change but previously it was a decent IPA. OHTT depends on the particular hop used. Morph can be meh to very good. Morph at its best might compete with Trillium, maybe and even then at the low end of Trillium (which is still awesome). Morph at its worst and I wouldn't have two. The small batch IPA's are similar to Morph, from meh to very good. Now saying that I kind of like that their IPA's aren't too similar to each other.

Really I'd say the same for all of their beers. Every style I've had from them isn't exactly the same. Their stouts aren't all variations on the same beer, they can be wildly different. Sometimes I don't care for them and sometimes I love them but again the variability is a nice change IMHO. Its a rare day that I don't have some Night Shift beer in my house to be honest. The Trillium's, Tree Houses, Lamplighters, Bissell Brothers, etc. come and go from my fridge but there's always a Night Shift beer next to them since they are IMHO one of the best easy to get beers.

robNSB and rdecker679 like this.
  15. Manfrombelmonty

Was down there last night. thought the Swell was terrible. tasted like buttery popcorn, similar to an experience I had with fluffy a couple of batches ago.

Whirlpool was delicious, Manet is really nice and the hopped belgian ale Lordship was pretty good.

As for the tap room being packed, well, it really is a great taproom. Two big spaces, nice outdoor area, big, bright, good food trucks, just a really great place to hang out and have a beer. Can't really think of another taproom i've been to that does as good a job on the usage of their space and has such a very good array of beer selections to boot.

matthewp and rhino88888888 like this.
  16. matthewp

I was going to go to Night Shift this past weekend for Saison day but realized the website states that children (outside of toddlers/infants) aren't allowed in on the weekends. I've gone before with my kids and never had a problem getting in on a Saturday afternoon. Does anyone know if this is a change or did we just slip by in the past? Personally I've always considered day time an ok time to bring kids to breweries depending on age. My kids are 12 and 14, we usually go for the food trucks or other stuff that might interest them. We usually taste a few beers and buy beer to go. While disappointing I can certainly see why breweries don't allow children at busy times so this isn't a complaint, not everyone wants kids in a brewery.

17. Piels25

Piels25 Initiate (168) Dec 17, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I suspect it was related specifically to the event as they were probably expecting a large crowd. Per their website, "Infants and very young children are welcome whenever we're open as long as they are with their parents at all times during their visit."

18. matthewp

It wasn't related to the event, I asked them directly regarding their policy. I went to a previous event when they released their throwback beers with my kids. They basically mean infants and toddlers. There are likely two concerns, my 12 and 14 year olds take up effectively the space of an adult and during busy times it becomes difficult to police under age drinking for teens.

19. emannths

emannths Aspirant (223) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

We got ourselves a psychic here. :wink:

AlcahueteJ, meefmoff, robNSB and 4 others like this.
  20. lovindahops

lovindahops Savant (957) Mar 26, 2010 New York

Was pumped to find some Night Shift at my local store in Syracuse, NY. Not sure if this will be an everyday thing so I grabbed what I could. Great stuff that I will always enjoy.

21. mgp

mgp Initiate (81) Jan 30, 2010 Massachusetts

22. rdecker679

rdecker679 Initiate (33) Oct 8, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

good for them...though I'm sure there's something in there about shark jumping and whatnot.

23. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (521) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Premium

Good for them (and probably bad for the Beer Works).

And being so close to TD Garden is probably not going to be a negative for a beer like Nite Lite either.

bostonwolf, robNSB and mgp like this.
  24. AlcahueteJ

Probably the best thing about the second tap room is that it might make the Everett location less packed on weekends. Maybe.

25. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Zealot (596) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

I’d like to think so, but I think they’ll draw different crowds. Boston will draw more pre/post Garden groups & city dwellers, some weekday after-work folks. Everett will have the usual diverse crowd of young families, bros, suburban beer geeks, travelers, the beer-curious, & bros (again).

Good move for NS to open up this 2nd location. I think it will be a big success.

26. BRYeleJR

BRYeleJR Disciple (343) May 18, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Night Shift opened up sales for Apple Brandy BA El Lechedor today online. Really like this new way of doing things versus having to stand in line on a Sunday morning for hours... think the last time they did this as a bottle release was 2016.

Simply went online, bought a couple bottles and can pick them up from Sunday through the end of the month. Cheers to that! Wish this would become the norm for more places.

bostonwolf, DrewLS and 7irondave like this.
  27. Dave_32

Dave_32 Initiate (61) Apr 7, 2015 Massachusetts

Just reserved a couple bottles, thanks for the reminder

BRYeleJR likes this.
  28. AlcahueteJ

It was 2016 I think. But I didn't wait in line. Just drove over on a Sunday afternoon, strolled inside and picked up a bottle.

But this is definitely cool too.

29. AlcahueteJ

Is there a link to that? I couldn't find news of this anywhere. Is it a barrel society thing?

30. rhino88888888

rhino88888888 Initiate (97) Dec 12, 2013 Massachusetts

Yes it's a Barrel Society release. You'll need to sign up for the NS Barrel Society email list. In its new incarnation, the Barrel Society is free and alerts you to Society-only online pre-sales and parties.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  31. matthewp

I wonder if this one will sell quicker than Marilyn. That one is still available, I didn't pre-order that and just happened to pick it up when I was in the area. Debating now if I'll take my chances.

32. DrewLS

DrewLS Initiate (114) Oct 7, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

I think this will sell closer to the pace of Darkling than Marilyn, especially considering they did not bottle this last year. Plus, apple Brandy stuff seems really popular right now to boot.

33. AlcahueteJ

It's also their highest rated beer with more than 9 ratings (it's archived but had 90 ratings).

I'm not a ticker, but I know that's why I picked it up two years ago. It was their highest rated beer so I wanted to see what all the hoopla was about.

34. mhull

mhull Initiate (87) Apr 11, 2008 Massachusetts

Went ahead and bought two. Do we know if these are 750s? Didn't see it noted anywhere but most of their bottles are.

35. Manfrombelmonty

Grabbed some of the Doré grisette the other day. Don't think I'd had a grisette before but this was lovely crisp and refreshing

36. Jaredf916

Jaredf916 Initiate (27) Oct 29, 2016 California
    Trader

Visiting Boston this weekend. Just signed up for their barrel society. Is there a link to purchase el Lechedor or am I too late? Thanks

37. genebuonaccorsi

genebuonaccorsi Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2016 Massachusetts
    Industry

We'll have a reminder email going out to the Society tonight so if you're on the list you'll receive the link to purchase AB El Lechedor bottles there. Be sure to add society@nightshiftbrewing.com to your contact list - some mail clients aggressively filter to spam. Cheers!

38. matthewp

Those were the days when Night Shift was still a "hyped" brewery. Now they are just a really successful brewery that is kind of ho hum in the BA world. I remember reading an article about that beer release and how lines formed 4 hours before opening. It seems like a lot has changed in 2 years. It will be interesting to see how people rate it today. The frequency that special releases come out now and the abundance of high quality beers makes it hard to be excited about a beer anymore. I found KBS sitting in a random grocery store this year. I remember being excited to find it on tap back in 2015 because I couldn't get it when it was released on bottle.

Now all that being said it is pretty likely I'll buy this beer or at least drink on draft at NS. I had the regular El Lechador when it was on tap at NS last year or so and the apple brandy barrel sounds like an interesting twist. I said I wasn't going to buy Marilyn and I did but I still haven't opened the bottle because all of the other special releases I've bought and am slowly drinking my way through.

39. mumbles44

mumbles44 Initiate (158) Jan 22, 2016 New Jersey
    Trader

not sure if this is allowed..but if anyone can proxy for me please DM...

Mods if this isnt allow please deleate or lmk and i can edit

40. Rysk22

Rysk22 Initiate (169) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts

Expect a knock from the BA gestapo