Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Night Shift Somer Weiss -- Help Me Out Here

Discussion in 'New England' started by HeyHanrahan, Oct 13, 2013.

1. HeyHanrahan

I snagged a bottle of Night Shift's Somer Weisse (batch #15) at the new Craft Beer Cellar in Westford, MA (awesome store, btw). I expected this to be a bit more on the lemony/tart/dry side of things, as with most of the Berliner Weisse styles I've tried. But this bottle was a straight-up vinegar bomb. I mean, I never -- EVER -- drain pour a beer. But this was undrinkable, and -- to my shame -- we pitched it.

I know certain styles are a bit more on the vinegary side, but I didn't expect it from this one. It seemed a bit off, and it wasn't at all what I thought it would be. I love the Berliner Weisse style, but this tastes nothing like any of the others I've tried. Do you think my bottle was bad? Or is this beer really supposed to be more of an apple cider vinegar kind of brew?

2. damienblack

Beer Trader

Not had this most recent batch but I've seen on here that it is a lot more vinegaric and briney than the prior batches.

3. Skrip

Beer Trader

thats strange i've had at least 4 bottles of the newest batch and none of them were like that. this is my favorite of the series too, i hate to hear something like that but it happens...

4. bleakies

I sympathize, OP, as I had the same experience within the past month or so. I got through about five sips before pouring it out. I asked about it here and stressed that I wasn't sure how it was supposed to taste compared to "regular" berliners, and the responses mostly noted that Somer Weiss is an extremely sour brew. But for me the sourness was less obvious than the vinegar/bile notes that kept me from drinking it.

I want to assume it was an off bottle or off batch, because everything else I've sampled from Night Shift has ranged from real good to real great.

5. billylectro

Yup, had one from Julio s on friday and it was the most intense flavor, in a bad way, that my mouth has ever felt. No way it was supposed to taste like that. Sent them a email after drinking it but have not heard back yet. Really liked the bee tea i got though and look forward to a good one.

makdeco likes this.
  6. Trevdawg

They all suck.

#EverWeisse4Life

7. runpmc007

Beer Trader

I've 'soured' on Night Shift.

8. makdeco

Beer Trader

just drain poured one tonight as well exactly how the OP described vinegar bomb made mother funker drinkable... Bought mine last weekend at Julio's

9. franklinn

is this a new batch?

I don't know what batch I had but it was nothing like what is being described.

10. AdamsDTD

Have a friend that had the same experience. Just a gigantic sour vinegar bomb and he dumped it. Looking forward to the Mainer, so hoping it comes out a little better.

11. billylectro

yeah, batch 15

12. franklinn

I caught the number, but I'm not sure exactly what it means. When was this batch released?

13. jomobono

Subscriber Beer Trader

They served the vinegar batch at NotF, maybe a good idea is to not release a bad batch, call me crazy.

14. TheMonkfish

This is about the point where the thread gets shut down and it is advised to contact the brewery.

F2brewers likes this.
  15. bramsdell

NO! No. Bad pun. Go away.

16. billylectro

It was the end of August if I remember right.

17. Davl22

Subscriber Beer Trader

Had the same experience with my bottle. I love sours but this was very concentrated and unbalanced. I actually blended most of my bottle with a pale ale so I wouldn't have to dump it.

18. masterob8

Hey All - Sorry to hear so many of you had a bad experience with Somer Weisse. We take this very seriously. Being a small brewery we do our best to not let any bad product out the door and we are not afraid of dumping beer or recalling beer from store shelves (we have done it in the past). Every bottle and every customer is critical to us. We never bottle beer that doesn't taste to our standards. After reading this thread this morning we tasted 5 different batches of Somer Weisse. It seems that some of the batches have become infected (way too sour and vinegary) and aren't to our standards. The bad batches are batch #15 bottled on 8/28 and #16 bottled on September 4/5th (batch 16 bottled 8/28 is fine). Batches 14, 17, and 18 all taste great and are how we designed/intend the beer to taste.

We are constantly working on our recipe, processes and controls to put out the highest quality of beer possible. We continue to invest in equipment & people to improve our beers. Nonetheless, we wish we caught this problem ourselves and sooner. Honestly, thanks to everyone on this thread for bringing the problem to our attention.

Today we begin the fun part of dumping Somer Weisse that is in kegs and bottles and working with our retail partners to remove the subpar product. For those of you who have bought bad bottles, we would be happy to offer you a replacement bottle. Just swing by the brewery and we can offer a replacement. While you are here we are happy to have you try a sample of a good batch of Somer Weisse that is on tap at the brewery.

Please continue to give us feedback and alert us of any bad beer of ours that you purchase. We will do our best to never have this happen again.

Cheers,
    Rob

swinyeju, mj0126, jlordi12 and 26 others like this.
  19. Janeinma

Beer Trader

are the earlier batches ok? We have 2 * batch 12 bottled on 7/8/13 and have been holding them to drink later
    BTW this is the proper and classy way to handle this and I applaud you for coming here and handling the issue.

20. WkndatBernardus

Beer Trader

Everweiss is the shizz. Gonna grab a bottle of the "bad' Somerweiss to mix with some olive oil and pour it on my salad.

Janeinma likes this.
  21. omniscientcause

Yea that batch is fine, I drank my 3 bottles and had no complaints.

masterob8 likes this.
  22. masterob8

I just looked into our back stock and couldn't find any batch 12 bottles. I did sample a batch 11 and batch 9 bottle and both tasted great. My prediction is batch 12 is fine based on not hearing any negative feedback and omniscientcause comment above.

23. TheBeerologist

Add me to the list. Bought a couple bottles at Julios (batch 15) on 9/28 and shipped one to a trading partner in CA who also described it as vinegar, vinegar more vinegar and ginger.

As my first taste of Nightshift, it was a disappointment, now I guess it will be worth the trip to the brewery to try a proper tasting somerwiess and replace the bottles I bought.

Thanks for the response here and the customer service nightshift!

masterob8 likes this.
  24. makdeco

Beer Trader

thanks for the customer service, unfortunately bought mine at Julios while in town from Chicago...

25. Janeinma

Beer Trader

I hope you are at least enjoying the good bottles you are opening. I really don't have any worries about mine and will continue to cellar them (at least until we have drunk some of our more time sensitive beers hanging around).

26. pisano

Beer Trader

I agree with the OP. Did not love the bottle I had (don't recall which batch it was), but now it makes sense. Most other people I spoke with loved it so I was surprised when I didn't as I do love the style. Hope to try a non-infected batch next year.

27. kscaldef

Beer Trader

Is there anything you can do for out-of-towners who bought a bottle of the bad batch while visiting?

28. emannths

Yeah, it sounds like they'd be willing to swap it out for another bottle next time you're in town.

Seriously, it's a $12 bottle of beer. Any non-local compensation is going to be neutered by shipping fees and logistics.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe