NJ BCBS

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by mumbles44, Nov 9, 2017.

1. mumbles44

mumbles44 Initiate (193) Jan 22, 2016 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

anyone hear of any tapping events?

any stores that have said of any variants or special sales?

2. dennis3951

dennis3951 Crusader (770) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

In my experience NJ gets very little BCBS. I haven't seen it on a shelf in years. We must not be a good market for Goose Island beers

3. fdonnelly

fdonnelly Initiate (150) Dec 14, 2016 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

It's likely due to NYC being in such close proximity and them getting much more than we do. I have seen BCBS on shelves here and there, actually grabbed for '16 bottles for $12 each at a small liquor store on a college campus last Feb, was astonished to see it there, but I can't recall being able to get any variants without traveling to NYC or Brooklyn.

That being said, there's at this point, prob just as good or IMO better barrel aged stuff here from NJ I would rather drink

dennis3951 likes this.
  4. mumbles44

Beer Trader

agree with you on alot of this, would be nice to get maybe 1 or 2 variants in NJ.

Also i think NJ seems to have trouble releasing on black friday as opposed to other states.

fdonnelly likes this.
  5. Axic10

Axic10 Zealot (597) Mar 15, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Joe Canal's Lawrenceville just sent out an e-mail for pre-sale. 4/pp max at $12.99/bottle. Regular only.

6. NewmansOwn

NewmansOwn Aspirant (271) Jun 25, 2016 New York

Shit I'm in the wrong thread.

7. Jacobob10

Jacobob10 Poo-Bah (1,596) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Subscriber

Most places in Northern/Central NJ will release it on Black Friday. Some places release it on Saturday. Allotments in NJ are low, compared to NY, and you're only going to find BCBS and Barleywine. Very few places get Barleywine and I've yet to see any other variants in NJ. As is the case with most special releases in NJ you're going to have better luck in the big box stores than mom and pop shops, but some smaller shops do get it.

8. EJLinneman

EJLinneman Aspirant (219) Mar 2, 2009 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

It's worth it to just take the trip in NYC at some point. Last year I found cases on the shelves at the Whole Foods in Chelsea without limits. Also was reasonably priced.

9. jaymeisprime

jaymeisprime Initiate (135) Nov 30, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

the only black friday release i care about is epitome tbh. (this has nothing to do with BCBS, apologies)

SammyJaxxxx, TheGent and NewmansOwn like this.
  10. mumbles44

Beer Trader

isn't that a given? haha

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  11. inkman15

inkman15 Aspirant (215) Oct 28, 2013 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Yeah - if you're just looking for the base BCBS and even the barleywine, hit up NYC. I work in the city and can attest that the WF Chelsea still has bottles of last year's sitting on the shelves for $9.99. Never a need to get in a frenzy about obtaining this one, unless you're talking about the variants.

garfscores likes this.
  12. nchan50

nchan50 Initiate (117) Aug 15, 2017 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I've been calling around and pretty much all the NJ stores (including big ones) are saying they will not be getting any variants - only the base BCBS.

13. mumbles44

Beer Trader

heard the same thing, was hoping to score some variants in NJ but isn't looking overly likely

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  14. Lesak87

Lesak87 Initiate (117) Mar 26, 2015 New Jersey

I only know of one spot that got Coffee BCBS in NJ last year. I'd say who it was, but that would make my chances all the more slim of finally getting a bottle this year. Forgive me. :pensive:

It's a pretty damn busy, well-known store though.

15. NJAdam

NJAdam Initiate (100) Nov 15, 2017

Anyone have any stores, preferably in the central jersey area that gets a decent amount?

16. Zonk

Zonk Devotee (435) Dec 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Really? i haven't seen bottles there for months.

17. headylamar

headylamar Initiate (165) Feb 11, 2010 New Jersey

Canal's Lawrenceville notified its customers that they would not be receiving their allotment of BCBS on Black Friday. Won't be available until December 4.

Shoddy NJ distribution channels strike again.

mumbles44 likes this.
  18. NewmansOwn

Thirsty Quaker in Jersey City is selling BCBS per Instagram.

19. NJhiker1

NJhiker1 Initiate (122) Sep 3, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Any word on south jersey?

20. William_Navidson

William_Navidson Initiate (177) May 1, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Super Buy Rite W. Deptford will have 2017 Coffee for sale, so at least some places are getting it in Jersey.

21. mumbles44

Beer Trader

all of my locals (monmouth county) told me they have not heard any details of what they are getting or when

22. Jdubz78

Jdubz78 Initiate (128) Nov 23, 2016 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Haha, I'm also from monmouth county, and when I go in asking about BCBS they stare at me like I have 5 heads. I clearly am going to the wrong places.

23. mumbles44

Beer Trader

ha it's tough out there, usually i get an answer from wegmanns in ocean and a few others but everyone has no idea..
    maybe @beertoro can chip some info in

24. Tim725

Tim725 Disciple (385) Mar 8, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Still do not understand how it seems like most of the country is able to get this out for Black Friday... except in Monmouth and Ocean County NJ.....

Got really lucky last year and happened to run into a Coffee. Do not expect that again! Will be happy with 2 bottles of regular and a barley wine!

25. nchan50

Beer Trader

It's basically the same in Morris County. Everyone has said no variants thus far and very limited standard. Always seems hard to get some of the more widely distributed limited releases here (KBS included).

26. NewmansOwn

Buy Rite of Fairview just posted a case of Vanilla Rye, so I'm sure that'll be a fun line.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  27. TheGent

TheGent Zealot (565) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Shop Rite Liquors in Westfield has BCBS out on the shelf. Two bottle limit. $12.99 each. Didn't ask about variants.

28. InsuranceGuy

InsuranceGuy Aspirant (272) Nov 9, 2011 Delaware
    Beer Trader

Oh word? I'm heading to Westfield tomorrow night for Thanksgiving, I hope they have a few left.

TheGent likes this.
  29. TheGent

TheGent Zealot (565) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Word. There were about 5-7 left, so guessing it won't last until tomorrow night. One would like to think they didn't put it all out "early" but who knows.

30. beertoro

beertoro Aspirant (280) Nov 16, 2015 New Jersey

The only place I've heard about BCBS is Trenton Road Takeout in PA. Very rare to see it, especially in Central Jersey. Somehow we get forgotten in Monmouth County for any special stuff.

31. nchan50

Beer Trader

Berkeley wine company in Berkeley heights has several cases and no limits. Marked up a little at $15.99. No variants.

dennis3951 likes this.
  32. mumbles44

Beer Trader

looks like dec 1 for monst of monmiouth and ocean from places i called

33. msaitta

msaitta Initiate (124) Dec 16, 2016 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Has anyone confirmed any places getting Coffee this year? I haven't had any luck.

34. mumbles44

Beer Trader

buy right of JC, said they will have 2 cases at open on black friday..

hopefully this info will get more people sharing the wealth :slight_smile:

cp45 and msaitta like this.
  35. nchan50

Beer Trader

Seems like it's directly correlated with how close the store is to NYC...

msaitta likes this.
  36. nchan50

Beer Trader

For those of you willing to make it into NYC, Westside Market at third ave has coffee (no Northwoods). One per person and you can call right now to hold a bottle.

37. ScottKramer

ScottKramer Initiate (138) May 27, 2016 New York
    Beer Trader

Other than Top Hops, seems very little talk of any other place getting Northwoods?

38. bassboner

bassboner Aspirant (212) Apr 2, 2014 New York
    Subscriber

Thanks for that! Just called and have a Coffee on hold

39. nchan50

Beer Trader

Enjoy! I haven't been able to get my hands on one in prior years so looking forward to trying it this year.

40. NewmansOwn

Thanks! They have 2 cases but I don’t know how much is on hold. Just a heads up they’re $29.99

#40 NewmansOwn, Nov 22, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.